2C Finals: Radford vs Glenvar

BandanaVTDavis4321

Should be an interesting game at Radford...or Pulaski...or Blacksburg...or Christiansburg or wherever they play it.

Radford got over the hump against Appo and finally got that win against Appo/Glenvar which they haven't done much in the playoffs other than 2018. I think they complete the sweep and run Glenvar off the field.. 

Radford QB has an offer from Elon and is committed to Elon. Is this as high level as he can play, or could he play for a Marshall, ODU, JMU, etc? I think the answer to that question is yes, but just my opinion on it.

Landon Clark on defense. It's unlucky a little for him that he has two Div 1 kids in Class 2 in Lopez at Woodstock (DE) and Triple C at Riverheads (likely middle linebacker) because Clark would have had a reasonable chance to do what Cam Allen did and win both offensive and defensive player of the year in Class 2. He's that good at his safety position on defense.

In watching some of the Radford game what struck me was Clark often had all day to stand there and pass with what looked like a field full of receivers.   Someone has to get to him to beat him.  Make them pull people in for protection.  You can’t let him stand around back there all day.  

7 minutes ago, GHS89 said:

In watching some of the Radford game what struck me was Clark often had all day to stand there and pass with what looked like a field full of receivers.   Someone has to get to him to beat him.  Make them pull people in for protection.  You can’t let him stand around back there all day.  

He creates a lot of opportunities with his feet.

Biggest surprise with me for Radford this year isn't Clark or their WRs. It was well known they would be good. The offensive line is what has really surprised me. They simply were not supposed to be as good as they have played and that came from Radford fans. The same is true with the defensive line. It was well known about their secondary and great athleticism, but their DL hasn't been getting pushed off the ball like years past.

49 minutes ago, GHS89 said:

We have seen teams try to put pressure and then they have no one to prevent big runs and then we have seen teams try to contain him and he picks them apart with the receivers.  I also think his arm strength surprises players.  They are not used to see throws so deep.  He can easily throw 50 yards in the air while scrambling.

24 minutes ago, SWVAgridiron said:

Yes since he finally decided to step back and let the other coaches do their job 

Got to give Crist Credit.  That counts.  Knowing when to step back and let a subordinate do their thing is a part of leadership and leadership is a part of coaching.  Got to give credit where credit is due.  That's a smart move by Crist.  As for the QB, the danger with him is that if you let him stay in the pocket, he will shred you.  If you force him out of the pocket, he can house it from his own 20 very quickly for 80 yards.  An absolute major catastrophe for defenses/opponents.  Only way to beat them is just completely blowing up the play, for example, an opponents DL will need to win 3 out of the 5 or 4 out of the 5 position battles each play along the OL and DL where the play is just completely disrupted and on the other side of the ball, better be able to kill some clock with the run.  

Coach Crist has done a pretty good job with Clark.  Lots of knocks on Crist's on the field and game day knowledge but Clark has grown not just on the field but off the field.  He's matured a bit and this is the report from teachers in the classroom to fellow players to assistant coaches.  Crist has been a huge part of that.  Clark's got a lot of talent and if he keeps his head on straight, then he's got a good future.  He's definitely matured over the past year emotionally.

On 11/21/2023 at 1:56 PM, Fairlawncat said:

Coach Crist has done a pretty good job with Clark.  Lots of knocks on Crist's on the field and game day knowledge but Clark has grown not just on the field but off the field.  He's matured a bit and this is the report from teachers in the classroom to fellow players to assistant coaches.  Crist has been a huge part of that.  Clark's got a lot of talent and if he keeps his head on straight, then he's got a good future.  He's definitely matured over the past year emotionally.

Clark is very impressive with his ability to make plays with his feet and find the open receiver when scrambling.  Very accurate passer downfield also.  He also has very good speed.  Difficult matchup for anybody they play.  

6 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

Yes.  Apparently they have roped off a section for Glenvar fans on the home side.  If Radford hosts the State Semi-finals, surely the VHSL will make them move it.

I think Glenvar gets 20% of the home seating. If the state semis are there, whether it be Union or Graham, I propose region D fans show up early and commandeer at least 60% of the seating 😂😂😂. It’s kind of ridiculous really! What kind of atmosphere is that when the visiting team cannot even have their fans behind them cheering them on? The semi-final in 2018 was moved from Radford to Salem due to field conditions, no visitor seating seems a valid reason to move it once again. 

4 minutes ago, Gridiron60 said:

I think Glenvar gets 20% of the home seating. If the state semis are there, whether it be Union or Graham, I propose region D fans show up early and commandeer at least 60% of the seating 😂😂😂. It’s kind of ridiculous really! What kind of atmosphere is that when the visiting team cannot even have their fans behind them cheering them on? The semi-final in 2018 was moved from Radford to Salem due to field conditions, no visitor seating seems a valid reason to move it once again. 

The region D team would bring enough fans that it would be absolute chaos if the game wasn’t moved. Can you imagine Graham and Union sitting on the same side at the park Saturday?

11 minutes ago, UnionGuy2017 said:

The region D team would bring enough fans that it would be absolute chaos if the game wasn’t moved. Can you imagine Graham and Union sitting on the same side at the park Saturday?

Yeah, if they don't move it, I say everybody from D show up early and take over the home side.  Heck, if Graham or Union win, I plan on going to support either team that gets out of D, assuming Radford wins of course.  I say, we have a takeover!!

The Reg D winner needs a strong AD to make the case to the VHSL to ensure it gets moved in case the powers that be at Radford try to keep it at Radford. I hope the people at Radford don't put up an argument and move the game. The Glenvar game should not be played at Radford.

If you are a Reg D team coming to Radford and Radford didn't move it, I would do the same. Get there early and set on home side. Warning to all Region D fans, if played at Radford, the power Karen's will be there at the gate trying to direct you to the non home side. Legally, they can't do that, but they will try to intimidate you. They can't stop you from setting on Radford side. 

5 hours ago, Fairlawncat said:

The Reg D winner needs a strong AD to make the case to the VHSL to ensure it gets moved in case the powers that be at Radford try to keep it at Radford. I hope the people at Radford don't put up an argument and move the game. The Glenvar game should not be played at Radford.

If you are a Reg D team coming to Radford and Radford didn't move it, I would do the same. Get there early and set on home side. Warning to all Region D fans, if played at Radford, the power Karen's will be there at the gate trying to direct you to the non home side. Legally, they can't do that, but they will try to intimidate you. They can't stop you from setting on Radford side. 

I don't care where they direct me, I'm plopping down in the top row, on the home side cheering for the region D team as loud as I can.

1 hour ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I don't care where they direct me, I'm plopping down in the top row, on the home side cheering for the region D team as loud as I can.

Do they not have a visitor section Ive never been there but here everyone trashing their stadium 

11 minutes ago, Duke2015 said:

Do they not have a visitor section Ive never been there but here everyone trashing their stadium 

Their stadium is top notch. It's a really nice stadium and one of the nicer ones in all of the coverage area. But earlier in the year, they discovered a crack in the foundation of the visitor stands, so they have been condemned and the beauracrats tool over from there regarding timing, fixing it, funding, etc. Since then, they have put portable little metal bleachers down on the sidelines beyond where the visiting team stands on the sideline and it's a crapshow.  The visitor stands can't be occupied until fixed and they are empty. Radfords stadium, the seating on both sides would remind you of Gate City regarding size. Very nice.......when both sides are open, but the issue is what to do if Radford wins against Glenvar as only 1 side is open and they will not be fixed until next year.

7 minutes ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Their stadium is top notch. It's a really nice stadium and one of the nicer ones in all of the coverage area. But earlier in the year, they discovered a crack in the foundation of the visitor stands, so they have been condemned and the beauracrats tool over from there regarding timing, fixing it, funding, etc. Since then, they have put portable little metal bleachers down on the sidelines beyond where the visiting team stands on the sideline and it's a crapshow.  The visitor stands can't be occupied until fixed and they are empty. Radfords stadium, the seating on both sides would remind you of Gate City regarding size. Very nice.......when both sides are open, but the issue is what to do if Radford wins against Glenvar as only 1 side is open and they will not be fixed until next year.

Yeah I’d imagine Union or Graham would both fill up the portable bleachers with ease