john marshall girls team

stan.the.man

6 minutes ago, sixcat said:

I still don't think it's that simple. The LCA court ruling makes it a virtual impossibility that VHSL can reprimand anyone for recruiting. If LCA is allowed to participate in VHSL activities without having to give up it's ability to recruit anyone from anywhere, VHSL can't stop anyone else from doing so.

As I said in another thread, I urge anyone to go read and watch YouTube videos about how this has played out in Pennsylvania. We're exactly where they were in 2018.

yes but how hard did the VHSL realistically fight this,  court battles cost money.  does the VHSL have enough money to enforce its rules and regulations.  

1 minute ago, stan.the.man said:

yes but how hard did the VHSL realistically fight this,  court battles cost money.  does the VHSL have enough money to enforce its rules and regulations.  

VHSL can make a rule.  If you are the local AAU coach, you can't be on the coaching staff.  That's rule one.  They could argue conflict of interest and unfair competition and it would likely hold up in court and it would hold up to the point that a school like JM likely couldn't overturn that ruling.  That fixes a good chunk of it right there.

Lastly, all open enrollment schools that are within a city of over 200K have to play up in classification in athletics at the level in which the VHSL decides based on competitiveness.  It's really that simple.  Now, maybe only one or none of these rules holds up in court.  Maybe they both do.  But.......what you do is......TRY. You TRY to do something.  So far....I've seen no trying.

Here's the other crappy part about this.  Imagine if you are Bruton or Greensville County nearly every year or most years where you are in the same region as JM.  You don't even get to say that you made the state title game like someone in the West does.  At least a Va High or Graham can say, hey, we made the state title game at least.  And in all truth, Bruton or Greensville County can't say that.  I bet they are glad they still crossbracket in the final 8 because it at least gives a Bruton or Greensville County a chance to make the semi's because it seems like Region A's runner up team beats the Region B top team on most years in the final 8. 

5 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I understand the mindset and morality of playing JM because you are not going to prevent a great one time moment for a 15, 16, 17 or 18 year old kid in their High School State Title game and you aren't going to withhold that from your school and fans.  I understand that.  I respect that, but...........at some point.......at some time......what is going on at JM which is being ALLOWED by the VHSL crosses into the threshold of social justice.  I don't know what that point is.  I truly don't, but I do know we are getting close, and coming at this from a morality perspective, we cross over the threshold of the moral thing to do and ensuring your team plays to.........NOT letting them play, withdrawing, not playing the game, and the lesson here is not just for the kids on the team, but the town, the fans, the alums, and all other Class 2 schools taking notice that School B just stepped up and made a statement.  They are SICK of TOLERATING bad behavior and are SICK of bad behavior being allowed by the VHSL. 

If YOU participate in a farce, YOU are just as guilty as the VHSL and JM that have created the farce in the first place. Someone needs to step up and put a stop to this. It wouldn't take much. Our history was built on folks who made things change just by one simple act of defiance.  Doesn't seem like there is one person left in this country, especially on a government payroll,  with the courage to stand up to anyone. 

Some people think it is taking away from swva schools and their players fun and once in a lifetime opportunity by not allowing them to participate in the JM beatdown. 

I think the lesson that should be taught is that sometimes we have to sacrifice to make things better for the next group coming up behind us. 

Someone is going to have to be first.  If Scotty at GC had refused to play back in 2019, then next year the same thing, this would be over with already. The fact that everyone wants SOMEBODY ELSE to stand up, or the VHSL to do something about it, is the reason this crap is in it's 6th year now, with covid 2021 being the lone exception. 

Who in this state is going to put their own interest aside, and stand up for the next bunch of boys coming up in Class 2?

14 minutes ago, TheDuke said:

Some people think it is taking away from swva schools and their players fun and once in a lifetime opportunity by not allowing them to participate in the JM beatdown. 

I think the lesson that should be taught is that sometimes we have to sacrifice to make things better for the next group coming up behind us. 

Someone is going to have to be first.  If Scotty at GC had refused to play back in 2019, then next year the same thing, this would be over with already. The fact that everyone wants SOMEBODY ELSE to stand up, or the VHSL to do something about it, is the reason this crap is in it's 6th year now, with covid 2021 being the lone exception. 

Who in this state is going to put their own interest aside, and stand up for the next bunch of boys coming up in Class 2?

I agree with you, but I couldn't write it as good.  In some.....rare situations....and I think this is one of them, you are actually doing the morally correct thing by Not playing.  I can see both sides and if a team does play, then I get it, but.............if you play in order to not take the opportunity away from your kids, your school, your fans, your alums, then I get it as you are guided by your moral compass to do it, but also be guided by your moral compass to at least say something, make a complaint, get an article in the paper, do an interview......like Scotty V did.  I think if GC would have made it back to the title game the year after they lost to JM and Scotty V was still there, he would have actually not played the game that year.  I truly believe that.  Some people kind of called him out (not many, but a few did) when he made the statement to the media after the game and what Scotty V was doing was addressing an issue he could see was not just unfair, but was going to get worse.  I think the few people that did call him out or made him out to be simply bitc*ing don't hold that same view anymore.  The few that did call him out are probably thinking now...."Scotty V was right."  And.....he was right.

27 minutes ago, breckt said:

John Marshall girls won 60-38.

I'd say Dotson will show himself the door after this season.  That's in no way knocking him.  He is one of the best folks around.  But why stick around to play against this?

It's happening in SWVA too. Softball player leaves a school to play for her travel ball coach, other local teams have transfers on them as well. Russell County has had swaps in various sports for a few years now too. If the family decides to move their kid that's their business. Loyalty in sports is gone in all levels.

Asking about if John Marshall girls team was doing the same thing as the boys team?   Sure looks like it.   Pretty interesting reads.  Class 2 better get ready for a Goliath headed their way in the girls realm now.  

https://www.maxpreps.com/va/richmond/john-marshall-justices/basketball/girls/roster/    Roster for the John Marshall girls team

https://www.maxpreps.com/va/chesterfield/lc-bird-skyhawks/athletes/rmia-crutchfield/?careerid=3fbdb6hdrpik4   Link for R'Mia Crutchfield  6'2 Senior currently before when she was playing for LC Bird

https://www.maxpreps.com/va/spotsylvania/courtland-cougars/athletes/kiyah-lewis/bio/?careerid=3d732a9oavt66   Link for Kiyah Lewis while a Jr. Forward for Courtland and TPLS Christian Academy out of Midlothian, Virginia

Kiyah Lewis  - TPLS  Christian Academy out of Midlothian, Virginia.  Also a member of TeamLoaded out of Richmond.  

https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2024/feb/01/jm-girls-dont-play-second-fiddle/    Statement from the article  -  

"Like the JM boys team that is closely associated with Team Loaded Travel (an amateur basketball organization), the girls also polish their skills with the female version of Team Loaded.

Coach Burton coaches both the U-15 and U-17 Team Loaded outfits that play in spring and summer."

Kiyah Lewis (6-foot junior): “Kiyah, a tall wing and shooting guard, is a transfer from TPLS Christian … we found out about her through Team Loaded.”

Kayden Jones (6-foot senior): “She packs a heavy punch; creates lots of space as a passer; she attends Franklin Military but is allowed to play for us.”

https://richmondfreepress.com/news/2023/feb/09/jms-lady-justices-go-all-season/   Article from last year   Statement from article  

Blue Forest: White ‘n’ blue clad Justices have one of state’s tallest front lines in Cook, 6-foot-2 junior Mia Crutchfield, a transfer from L.C. Bird, and 6-foot-1 senior Khamaya Early.

“Khamaya is the muscle of the team,” says Coach Burton.

“Mia is our post presence,” he adds.

Supplying plenty of backup is 6-foot Kayden Jones, who attends Franklin Military Academy.in Richmond   

Logan Rose plays for the girls while her twin, 6-foot-7 Desmond Rose, is an up-and-comer on the boys’ squad

Other similarities: Like the JM boys, the girls are closely linked to the Team Loaded AAU travel squad. Coach Burton coached the U-17 team last year, featuring Cook.

Key to the City: JM has dominated its Richmond rivals, defeating George Wythe by 62-17 and 70-10, Thomas Jefferson by 85-10 and Armstrong, 88-18.

Officer on duty: In addition to coaching, Coach Burton serves as the school’s resource officer and is in his 19th year on the Richmond Police force.

Football fans might recall Coach Burton as an All-CIAA linebacker for Virginia Union under former Coach Willard Bailey.

Not to be confused: Coach Burton insists his team does not “live in the shadows” of the more publicized JM boys.

“We share the practice floor with the boys and we look up to them,” says Coach Burton.

“But we’re proud of the way we’ve put our program together, brick by brick. We’re trying to create our own lane.”

On 2/29/2024 at 7:01 PM, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

I agree with you, but I couldn't write it as good.  In some.....rare situations....and I think this is one of them, you are actually doing the morally correct thing by Not playing.  I can see both sides and if a team does play, then I get it, but.............if you play in order to not take the opportunity away from your kids, your school, your fans, your alums, then I get it as you are guided by your moral compass to do it, but also be guided by your moral compass to at least say something, make a complaint, get an article in the paper, do an interview......like Scotty V did.  I think if GC would have made it back to the title game the year after they lost to JM and Scotty V was still there, he would have actually not played the game that year.  I truly believe that.  Some people kind of called him out (not many, but a few did) when he made the statement to the media after the game and what Scotty V was doing was addressing an issue he could see was not just unfair, but was going to get worse.  I think the few people that did call him out or made him out to be simply bitc*ing don't hold that same view anymore.  The few that did call him out are probably thinking now...."Scotty V was right."  And.....he was right.

It's easy to sit in the seats at the Siegel Center and be an armchair coach and say a coach is a sore loser.   Dig deeper. 

It's easy for JM fans to sit in their seats and say that Class 2 isn't worth their time because they play so much better basketball than what is played in the rest of the state.   Dig deeper.  They don't want to but they don't care. It's all about winning.  

You develop your players from your youth league.  Develop your players from your middle school program.  Develop your players from your JV program. Shoot even add a good player or two from a nearby town.  

Put together the perfect season.  Then go to Richmond and play a team thats been built from Team Loaded AAU.  Division 1 players all around.  Total mismatch.  Beating teams by an average of 60 points. 

You play them for a state championship and get your behind handed to you.  Four months worth of work for the season.  Years of watching your seniors grow up from little kids to the amazing players they are now.  To watch them get destroyed by a built super team.  

No chance to win a state championship.  Hard work for years gone.  Beat by 58 points.  And you are going to just say... "Just a better team.  We just aren't good enough to win a state championship."  

If that's your reply.....

YOU ARE A BETTER MAN THAN ME.  

11 hours ago, stan.the.man said:

Abingdon girls got beat by LCA this week and it seems now they are basically Liberty University's JV team!!!

Carroll beat LCA twice last season by 30-plus. When they played last week, LCA had a whole new roster. Funny how that happens.

9 hours ago, RichRich said:

Reckon Central can keep it within 30 points?

They absolutely will. I think they keep it within 10.  Adding to what Sixcat wrote about Liberty and that new roster look, this is the perfect example of why we should pay Zero attention to a statement regarding "how many senior starters" a Liberty or JM has. It means nothing. They can have 10 seniors that dress and no juniors, and the following year, they may be better than what they were the previous year.  

I'm a Christian. I like Liberty a whole lot more than most on here. I know there are faults but also positives. Here is my objective opinion. LCA has ZERO business being allowed to compete with/play for public VHSL titles in ANY sport. You are either public or you are private, period.  Just my take. I think the lawsuit by Liberty was atrocious and wrong, and a bad look for Liberty.

the one thing that stood out in the LCA vs Abingdon game was how well coached LCA's team was,  LCA's wing players fed the low post with perfection to Stout for her power drop step for easy layup after layup!!   Later in the 3rd and 4th quarter the Mills girl went average hunting and took some bad shots but they were a very good fundementally sound team!!!

Hypothetical scenario here…

Next year RV returns a ton of talent on the girls side. Mind you with all Dickenson County kids. Let’s say they advance to the state championship only to face a glorified AAU all star team for a once in a lifetime opportunity to win a state title. Let’s say they lose by 20-30 to John Marshall. What are we saying to kids that remained loyal to their home school, put in countless hours of work and get beat because of the VHSL allowing this to take place? Even on the boys side VH makes it to the championship only to get whipped. Sure maybe they would’ve lost to the second place team but we will never know because we allowed JM to do what they’re doing. Central may be able to beat JM girls this year but losing the pieces they do I don’t foresee them being able to repeat that even if Central girls brings in the best players in SWVA. D1 talent or being able to draw from 1.1 million isn’t the same as an all district kid in SWVA! No where does it make sense that they’re allowed to compete in 2A. If they repeat it in other sports SWVA 2A teams will be nothing other than sacrificial lambs. Our only hope is to put pressure on our VHSL representatives to make an attempt to address the situation moving forward.