Near End of Season Thoughts

Well, the end of regular season is nearing. What are your thoughts at this point? Who are your district favorites? Region favorites? Surprises? 

3 hours ago, b_dawg74 said:

Why is nothing ever posted about scores, games, or schedule/standings for Baseball or Softball/

When you think about the whole of the SWVA population, it's a small percentage that care about those sports, unfortunately. So you just have less people who care enough to post scores and whatnot across a region and you only get updates on the top 4-5 teams and then any scandals lol

16 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

Even after an uncharacteristically bad game by Richlands (softball) yesterday, I still think they have a good shot of coming out of the region and maybe going pretty deep in the playoffs. 

Richlands downfall will be their lack of offense.

I'd say Lebanon baseball has a shot at winning state, as does the winner of Rye Cove or Eastside softball. Eastside hasn't been able to beat the Eagles yet though the past two seasons.

I don't see any of our regional 2A teams winning a title this year, and I think the teams above are better than the 2A teams in our region.

3 hours ago, Weatherman said:

I'd say Lebanon baseball has a shot at winning state, as does the winner of Rye Cove or Eastside softball. Eastside hasn't been able to beat the Eagles yet though the past two seasons.

I don't see any of our regional 2A teams winning a title this year, and I think the teams above are better than the 2A teams in our region.

Lebanon moved back up to 2a. It will definitely be more of a challenge for them this year but I still think they have a decent chance to win it all again

4 hours ago, Stelley said:

Lebanon moved back up to 2a. It will definitely be more of a challenge for them this year but I still think they have a decent chance to win it all again

Yes, somehow that slipped my mind. Maybe I had heard they would be dropping back down next cycle, and got ahead of myself. Is that true?

Union has some freshmen hurlers that will be good in the years to come, but the team desperately needs to spend some serious time in the hitting cage, and improve defensively, There just has to be a deeper commitment to this sport in this football town, or we'll stay middle of the road:(

2 hours ago, Unchained said:

Union has some freshmen hurlers that will be good in the years to come, but the team desperately needs to spend some serious time in the hitting cage, and improve defensively, There just has to be a deeper commitment to this sport in this football town, or we'll stay middle of the road:(

And an 8th grader who has the potential to be the best one if I remember right also.

On 5/1/2024 at 1:34 PM, jwgarrett20 said:

Richlands downfall will be their lack of offense.

I would've agreed completely with this a month ago. But maybe only slightly now. They have a lot of young freshman in the lineup that are starting to hit their stride. Over half the lineup is hitting over or near .300. Also over half have went deep this year. So bats are coming alive. 

The Eastside game they were off. Not taking anything from Eastside. They're solid. But coach started the freshman on the rubber that hadn't seen action in a while. I think the first game was more indicative the level they're on. Was tied in the 7th. They were also missing a key bat in first game. Again not saying Richlands will make ot to state. But i think they should give any team they face a hard time

11 hours ago, Westisthebest said:

I would've agreed completely with this a month ago. But maybe only slightly now. They have a lot of young freshman in the lineup that are starting to hit their stride. Over half the lineup is hitting over or near .300. Also over half have went deep this year. So bats are coming alive. 

The Eastside game they were off. Not taking anything from Eastside. They're solid. But coach started the freshman on the rubber that hadn't seen action in a while. I think the first game was more indicative the level they're on. Was tied in the 7th. They were also missing a key bat in first game. Again not saying Richlands will make ot to state. But i think they should give any team they face a hard time

The freshman might not had pitched for Richlands for a little bit, but she threw over 230 pitches in travel ball two days before.  Richlands will be a factor, but it will be because of Rife.  

14 hours ago, jwgarrett20 said:

The freshman might not had pitched for Richlands for a little bit, but she threw over 230 pitches in travel ball two days before.  Richlands will be a factor, but it will be because of Rife.  

Dont disagree with u. Shes killing it this year 

21 hours ago, jwgarrett20 said:

Why are these kids playing travel softball during their high school softball season?  Absolutely crazy

1 hour ago, Weatherman said:

Why are these kids playing travel softball during their high school softball season?  Absolutely crazy

Because some parents only care about themselves and don't care what happens with their school team as long as their kid gets theirs.  Plus, there is a lot of drama with that program.

2 hours ago, jwgarrett20 said:

Plus, there is a lot of drama with that program.

A lot of truth in that sentence. 
Parents and travel coaches making life miserable for the current coaching staff. 

10 hours ago, bleedblue89 said:

A lot of truth in that sentence. 
Parents and travel coaches making life miserable for the current coaching staff. 

Im sure its been a rough year for coach but I think he's done a good job. You'll never be able to make everyone happy.  

15 hours ago, Unchained said:

A bit surprised by this one this evening

Union 16

Eastside 5   called in 6th. 

Neither team is going to use any of their top pitching in these non-district games here at the end, they are just trying to get them in.

2 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

Neither team is going to use any of their top pitching in these non-district games here at the end, they are just trying to get them in.

I knew that, but expected closer with all the not top pitching.