Offseason changes

sixcat

2 hours ago, sixcat said:

Title says it all. Let’s hear those offseason changes around the region. I’ll get us started.

Tony Palmer has apparently hired the Bluefield University DC and Snake appears to be in his way out.  

I’d get a refund on that crystal ball if I were you. 😂 

59 minutes ago, CPF said:

It is correct he was hired. As the DL coach replacing Kelvin Dubouse. He will be working directly for Snake. Coach Palmer isn't going anywhere.

i hope you are right!!  tough shoes to fill, if possible

1 hour ago, CPF said:

It is correct he was hired. As the DL coach replacing Kelvin Dubouse. He will be working directly for Snake. Coach Palmer isn't going anywhere.

A college defensive coordinator dropping down to the high school ranks to coach the defensive line makes all the sense in the world. Especially when said coaches brother coaches at another local school. 

6 minutes ago, CPF said:

Well......I'll take my sources word for its 💰

Graham in the habit of paying a defensive line coach that doesn’t work in any other capacity within the school system loads of cash?

9 minutes ago, sixcat said:

Graham in the habit of paying a defensive line coach that doesn’t work in any other capacity within the school system loads of cash?

Well Dubouse was a volunteer coach. I'm not sure what he's getting. I guess that's between him and the boosters.

57 minutes ago, sixcat said:

A college defensive coordinator dropping down to the high school ranks to coach the defensive line makes all the sense in the world. Especially when said coaches brother coaches at another local school. 

Dennis Palmer is not going to Richlands and he will still be coaching at Graham. I don’t know who your source is but trust me , they’re unreliable. 😂😂😂😂😂The other guy is coming (that’s the only accurate part of your post) and yes,  he will be coaching DL. 

Just now, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

Where is Dubois going? If I recall correctly, Dubouse was a 3 star defensive line recruit out of Mount View High around the turn of the century, and was offered by Tech, WVU, and many more. He ended up playing for the Mountaineers. 

He was dismissed after an incident at the union playoff game.

26 minutes ago, FootballFan67 said:

Dennis Palmer is not going to Richlands and he will still be coaching at Graham. I don’t know who your source is but trust me , they’re unreliable. 😂😂😂😂😂The other guy is coming (that’s the only accurate part of your post) and yes,  he will be coaching DL. 

I guess there’s something to be said for the old adage “happy wife, happy life!”

5 hours ago, VFL said:

I am excited to see how Union does with Bostic playing qb and losing him at corner.

Why would they lose him at corner for maybe receiver but not corner? 

Who's Gate City's QB??  Jones was set to be heir apparent, but I seem to remember hearing on here that Kaden might be stepping into that role -- which, if he's legit ready, and legit enough sized, is the ideal play given three years of eligibility in the queue.

On 5/2/2024 at 9:12 PM, sixcat said:

I'm not sure who we're discussing here, but is it the older gentlemen that coaches Defense at Bluefield University?  If so, perhaps he is retiring from the college scene and is just offering his services to the local high school where he now lives.  Just curious.  None of these coaches, especially assistants are making much money, they're practically volunteering their time  anyway.  What will an assistant coaches paycheck get you now - a - days in this economy?  A few tanks of gas and a couple of six packs?

20 minutes ago, Real Sasquatch said:

None of these coaches, especially assistants are making much money,

I know that. CPF is the only saying the guy is coming to Graham for the 💰 

13 hours ago, Real Sasquatch said:

I'm not sure who we're discussing here, but is it the older gentlemen that coaches Defense at Bluefield University?  If so, perhaps he is retiring from the college scene and is just offering his services to the local high school where he now lives.  Just curious.  None of these coaches, especially assistants are making much money, they're practically volunteering their time  anyway.  What will an assistant coaches paycheck get you now - a - days in this economy?  A few tanks of gas and a couple of six packs?

Exactly. Not a lot of money for sure. Maybe $4,000 in a few counties and less in others.

22 hours ago, Hokie Bound said:

Exactly. Not a lot of money for sure. Maybe $4,000 in a few counties and less in others.

Most counties offer less. Head coach only brings home 5 or 6k

The stipend for being a HC Isn't much by any means, but where earning potential is dramatically increased is......IF......IF you can win. If you win and keep winning, that's where Booster money comes into play and HC's that win can pick up lots of extra cash from Booster money. At smaller level schools, there is less population to provide Booster money compared to for example....a Salem. Salem with many more people, great tradition, lots more opportunity and simple numbers of people contributing.  Or...a smaller school for example in west Texas with only 4000 people in the town, but they have 4 or 5 multi millionaires with oil money to dramatically bring up that small school Head coaching earning potential.

On 5/3/2024 at 5:35 AM, BKFootball said:

Why would they lose him at corner for maybe receiver but not corner? 

Union QBs have never played Defense. Even the past 2 seasons with Anderson who's best position was Safety

4 hours ago, BandanaVTDavis4321 said:

The stipend for being a HC Isn't much by any means, but where earning potential is dramatically increased is......IF......IF you can win. If you win and keep winning, that's where Booster money comes into play and HC's that win can pick up lots of extra cash from Booster money. At smaller level schools, there is less population to provide Booster money compared to for example....a Salem. Salem with many more people, great tradition, lots more opportunity and simple numbers of people contributing.  Or...a smaller school for example in west Texas with only 4000 people in the town, but they have 4 or 5 multi millionaires with oil money to dramatically bring up that small school Head coaching earning potential.

So what schools in Southwest Virginia give extra money to coaches who win?

25 minutes ago, Weatherman said:

So what schools in Southwest Virginia give extra money to coaches who win?

Well, no "school' does, at least to my knowledge.  I suppose a school could put in a bonus for a coach that wins a title, but I have no clue about that. But, a whole other item is Boosters....private citizens on the side is an entirely separate thing, and they........can and do pay. Mike Smith at Hampton High for about 2 decades in the 80s and 90s made more money from Booster payments than he did from the City of Hampton as the Dean of Boys/Guidance Counselor/Head Coach at Hampton High.

The late Don Dunford of Tazewell helped out Nick Colobro and Dave Litz. Dunford was a multi millionaire. A Booster and/or private citizen can do what they want. They can give money to a HS Coach if they choose to. A coach wins a state title and a private citizen who is generally a Booster can give the Coach a new car. There's nothing illegal about this either.

As for "who does it," and how much paid and who pays......that's hidden info, but it's been done across the USA for nearly 1 century now. In most states, boosters (the boosters club) can not legally pay a coach for his or her coaching services. But, an individual person who is likely a booster can give a coach any gift he chooses, even if the gift is likely and clearly related to the coaches performance on the field. In Texas, lots of HS Football Coaches that win titles have nicely new F250s within a month or so after the title, lol.