Coach Carlock

tornbullman

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good god. Coach Compton told me that today while i was at lunch break. Didnt really beileive it. But now i see that its true, I really hate to see this happen to him. Hes one of the best coaches of all time in the state of virginia, and he will be sorely missed, but with that said, my thoughs and prayers go out to Coach Carlock and his family. God Bless.

wow..this really sucks...i seen the man one time at our middle school game aginst Graham at M.S. he looked like an all around happy great guy..very sad to see this happen...may God Bless him and His Family...Psalm 23!!

carlock is a legend... he coached under gainer with chmara, and theyre all legends we hold dear to our hearts here in the blfds. if ure from around here, when u hear carlock, chmara, blfd, graham, u think of the beaver-gmen tradition. when i played at blfd, i had MANY good friends that i lined up on the line of scrimmage with from graham... and i still hold the memories of those games and other good times together close to my heart. my hi school "sweetheart" was a cheerleader at graham so, bein a "beaver boy", i was in the middle of graham-dom. coach carlock was always very nice to me, he knew i was a "beaver boy" but a hand shake and his considerate nature even in the competitive nature of blfd-graham has always been very kind. coach carlock is respected and loved by all in the blfds whether as a mentor or competitor. my heart goes out to him and his family, and all the ppl of the blfds that hold sincere memories of his impact....

I was shocked when I heard about this earlier in the week. Our thoughts and prayers are with Coach Carlock, his family, and the folks of Graham High School and the Bluefield area. You folks will always be respected by the people of Gate City.

Never met the guy, but with all I've heard/read about him and after seeing all the outpooring of support on this board, he really sounds like a class act and a great guy. My prayers are with him!

any news on Coach? frown.gif

Are they like positive this is what he has now? I know they can't be 100% until post mortum, but has anything changed at this point or is it just wait and see at this point? I mean are they trying to treat him for anything or just keeping him as comfortable as possible at this point?

This is probably one of the saddest things to ever happen around here...I keep hoping something will change for the better...just not hearing anything new since the other day...wondered if there was any progress.

The last I heard and this was heard from a friend of a former player that visited him at UVA this week...nothing has changed and Westwood Nursing Home here in Bluefield has agreed to take him temporarily. He has moments when he realizes what is going on around him and is in his right mind and then minutes later he is confused and talking out of his head. This is still a total shock to me and its hard to believe that something like this has happened to such a wonderful man. We just all need to keep him in our prayers.

I heard someone say today that Coach was ya know talking or somethign or atleast seemed really happy I mean all things concidering. I'm not just wondering if it could be because of the diesease (sp I have bad spelling like goalie) But if not thats good to know that he isn't ya know sad about it but then again I mean coach has always as long as I have known him a strong man. Heck he taught me how to lift weights, haha funny ways of remembering technique for it but none the less it got the point across. But gosh it still beats me up inside that we are about to loose one of the best people from this area...

Only stands to reason there have been so many visitors to see Coach over the past week. Think of the number of lives he has touched in his 35 years on the field and the classroom. As a player in the mid 80's I often wondered what he was thinking when we would run a play 5 or 6 times in a row during a game. Well, as I have aged I now know the answer. That answer is to play to your strengths!

I also wondered what in the world he was talking about when he would give us those "life lessons" and say you'll understand some day. I know for certain I have come to understand and as a military officer I find myself using some of the exact same sayings I heard on the practice field everyday with the 63 men/women who report to me. That was 19 years ago and it seems like yesterday, guess that's what a lasting impression is!

Much of what I have accomplished since leaving GHS I owe to the beliefs Coach instilled in each and every player he came in contact with. One of the darkest days I remember being around Coach was when the Marine barracks were bombed in Beirut killing 241 American soldiers. He stepped before us in the classroom before we prepared to dress for a home game, choking back tears to say he knew who he would take to war with him and we were in the room. Powerful stuff and there was no doubt who won that Friday night.

So as "Monroe" sets on Coach and "Hawk" is ready to make an appearance, now is the time to rally around the legacy he has created in each player/student. God bless Coach, the Carlock family, and Sempier Fi!