1. 1. Who wins a tight Hogo race?

• Rural Retreat 1-0/4-0
    • Chilhowie 1-0/4-0
    • Lebanon 2-0/ 2-2
    • George Wythe 0-1/3-1
    • Holston 0-1/3-1
    • Northwood 0-1/3-1

[ QUOTE ]

what i am sayin is if football wasnt created would have people had highschool marching bands?

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh...I get it! You want all band mebers to praise all the football players for so graciously allowing them to march in the high school band. I guess I've been looking at it all wrong. All of these years when football players have been picking on band members, they have really been doing them a favor, by allowing the band to march at the football games.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

for more important things other than a damn football

[/ QUOTE ]

Without the football team the band would have no reason to exisit

[/ QUOTE ]

yes we would...we have competitions we go to...even if there was no football team we would still go to those...

[/ QUOTE ]

kinda like Council's band

• 2 weeks later...

• 4 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

[ QUOTE ]

How many people would consider band a semi-sport...we work hard just like the other sports and have after school pratcices 3 outta 5 days a week and then a ball game on friday and then a comp. on sat...we have 2 days off all week...i was just wondering...

[/ QUOTE ]

The Band is a Joke. No wat is it a semi-sport. Band and sport shouldn't even be mentioned in the same sentence.

• 4 weeks later...

Nope, because we don't have our heads stuck up our hine ends like some of those athletes (not all of them).

But anyway, who cares whether or not band is a sport? It's still fun.

But don't be fooled. Band does have a few qualities of sports (wow, call the Virginia state police on me, I used band and sport in the same sentence). And some qualities in fact make it a bit tougher.

You DO need physical coordination and such. In band, just like sports, it's not about winning or losing (which is great to win). Instead, it's how you perform.

Although we don't run our tails off, what we are doing can be a bit tougher than sports. You can move any muscle you want, make facial expressions, etc. basically anytime you want to in sports. But in band it's different. And you have to memorize music and your sets in marching band.

During competitions, we do not gain points. The only change in points are those that are taken off.

But I think the debate over whether or not band is a sport is stupid, and no, definitely not for the same reason many of you sports fans believe, but because sport or not, it's fun and we do deserve a bit of respect. We provide YOUR entertainment during half time. WE are the ones who play this great country's national anthem before the game. WE play your great fight song. Therefore, WE deserve a lot more respect than we get.

We are just like your favorite rock band, but we play different instruments.

The month of march is when we celebrate Music in Our Schools. This is coming from a member of MENC (Music Educators National Conference): Berea Chapter and KMEA (Kentucky Music Educators Association) member, and while we're at it, future high school band director.

It's your opinion that band is a joke. While you're entitled to your own opinion, respect the opinions of others. Maybe some of us think sports is a joke, which I don't.

But do not be fooled because band does have some qualities of sports.

I am one of the drum-captains for Bluefield High School this year and I saw Richland's halftime show at the George Wythe competition and I did not appreciate their level of musicianship. More that 60% of their show was done by soundboard and it was a huge visual show. Last time I checked, band was about making music not putting up huge pictures of cd's and motherboards.

In our band program, we win with our superior level of musicianship and sharpness on the field. That apparently works because Richland's only out-scored us my 8/10 of a point. That is astonishing given the shear size of their band and all their visual aids in their show. I thought Ashe County had a much better show than Richland's because they actually played their instruments and didn't just stand out their and walk around.

This is my senior year and I was extremely dissappointed to see a non-musically challenging competition show beat good musical performances by not only Bluefield's band but many other bands at that competition.

Do you not realize that the band program is not only about pleasing crowds, but educating young musicians. The band does do many things after football season. Oh and by the way band is tougher than football.

[ QUOTE ]

Do you not realize that the band program is not only about pleasing crowds, but educating young musicians. The band does do many things after football season. Oh and by the way band is tougher than football.

[/ QUOTE ]

lmao..that's your opinion that band is harder than football but i dont see the band on the track running sprints everyday and running the bleachers, and the bands. i dont see the band in the weight room working their butts off either. and last off i dont even see the band practicing at all right now, so if you think football is easier than band, come out one day to football practice or any other ACTUAL sport and i'll guarantee you will change your opinion. i saw the band practice almost everyday this year, no way it is harder than football or any other sport