all this talk about 7 on 7

zack

[ QUOTE ]

I also think when the Qb has 4 seconds to scope the field with no lineman pressuring him dont show you much either

[/ QUOTE ]

The 7-on-7 scrimmages mean nothing when it comes time for the real football to be played in the fall. It's a whole different ballgame with 11 men on the field...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

I also think when the Qb has 4 seconds to scope the field with no lineman pressuring him dont show you much either

[/ QUOTE ]

The 7-on-7 scrimmages mean nothing when it comes time for the real football to be played in the fall. It's a whole different ballgame with 11 men on the field...

[/ QUOTE ]

obviously you're right.......the tremendous success richlands had in 7 on 7's last year didn't translate to success when they had to play 11 on 11.... ..?????????????????????????????????

richlands fans zack is right i see what your getting at but last year you had a line that could give your QB 6 seconds so what happens when you get a line that just can't block? then you won't be succesful even though you have awesome athletes at reciever and running back then you'll realize what zack is talking about

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

these guys don't realize you also have to play good defense in 7 on 7's ....it's more than just a passing competition

that is true but then your not tackling and your not getting many runs so your not really committed to the run your thinking pass... most teams (around here) pass to catch you off guard because they run it so much so the 7 on 7 takes the surprise out of it... so really it eliminates the big gains unless the corner gets burnt lol and that happens sometimes

"2006 UVA 7 0n 7 champions - Richlands

2006 Richlands 7 0n 7 Champions - Richlands

2006 AA Div.3 State Champions - Richlands

Kinda blows your opinion out of the water."

that's 1 example with 1 season, do you not think that there was likely a lot of teams that earned a state title in '06 who didn't finish 1st in a 7 on 7 tournament or even compete in 1? My guess is the majority didn't. And I'd guess there were a lot of teams that finished 1st in a 7 on 7 but didn't earn a state title either.

really good practice for certain, and it's a good accomplishment, but in my opinion you're simply putting the cart before the horse.

I was merely trying to show the relevance between the 7 on 7 and regular season. For Richlands, William Cambell, Powell Valley, Abingdon, and an increasing number of High School teams it is a tremendous indicator of what is to come. Why? Because they run a SPREAD offense and unlike Tazewell, Graham, Carroll County, Marion and etc.... who runs a ground based attack. The SPREAD offense employs multiple receivers, there is no fullback and no full house backfield. That is why Tazewell, Graham, and Carroll County does not participate in 7 on 7. Marion to their credit does. Now I'm assuming Marion still runs a Wing-T attack (not Giles Single Wing, there is a major difference) as does Carroll County. Again I was trying to show relevance bewtween the two competitions, and I would appreciate it if you would cease the personal attacks. Every team has undesirable fans, Richlands is no different. But, Tazewell, Graham, CC, Bluefield, etc... is not exempt either. The fact is Bulldogs 52, some of these so called "cocky %^$#@@(^" has opened the door for the youth football programs in Honaker, Twin Valley, and Tazewell to join the Richlands program. And I am proud to say that I had a small part in enabling that to happen.

Doesn't anyone get it? Think about it, the benefit of 7 on 7 is that your skill players start fall practice with TWO MONTHS of practice already under their belts. I'm not getting into the 7 on 7 success = regular season success argument but it's helped Richlands more than anything. How else do you think McCracken and Fuller started the season in mid-season form last year?

And to address the "what if the line can't do the job" question someone asked... Show me a Greg Mance coached line that didn't get it done! The only one I remember is 2003 when a young line started slow but finished strong.

[ QUOTE ]

And then they wonder why they get called cocky bastards.. Quite a few down that way think there [censored] don't stink.. Come flame me all you want but everyone knows its true.

[/ QUOTE ]

Yeah, because arguing the point that 7 on 7 tounements helps your team in the regular season obviously makes you a "cocky bastard"... We might as well be waving our crap right under our noses...mine smells like cinnammon!

From the birds up here in the Shady Spring area, sounds like some jealousy going in Southwest VA/WV...Not familiar with 7 on 7's up here in this are Shady/woodrow we have the influential John Lilly running the double wings...However I have watched competitions and would agree it helps defensive backs as well as offenses trememdous...And more or less it is extra practice..I applaud those who take advantage of the chance..Especially spread offensive teams.

I agree BigD. Perhaps winning the 7 on 7 tournament should not be the focus as much as dedicated players who are willing to give up prime summer time to participate in these events and play each one trying to get better. It makes sense that those who do the 7 on 7 have successful seasons because they are usually dedicated players anyway.

Who ever said that Tazewell wasn't running a spread offense this year? Tazewell will be a whole diffrent team to all this year not sure how it will pan out for them but there not going to be the same team that you have seen in the past. and like i said earlier I will stick with what I said, I have seen it way to long, and again you can flame all you want.

[ QUOTE ]

"2006 UVA 7 0n 7 champions - Richlands

2006 Richlands 7 0n 7 Champions - Richlands

2006 AA Div.3 State Champions - Richlands

Kinda blows your opinion out of the water."

that's 1 example with 1 season, do you not think that there was likely a lot of teams that earned a state title in '06 who didn't finish 1st in a 7 on 7 tournament or even compete in 1? My guess is the majority didn't. And I'd guess there were a lot of teams that finished 1st in a 7 on 7 but didn't earn a state title either.

really good practice for certain, and it's a good accomplishment, but in my opinion you're simply putting the cart before the horse.

[/ QUOTE ]

I do not think winning a single local 7 on 7 by itself is huge indicator of the quality of team you may have........but combine that with winning several tournaments and winning/or losing in the finals at a big tournament like the one at UVA and I think anyone would be naive not to expect Richlands to field a pretty darn good team..........last year Bluefield couldn't win a game at the Wake Forest tournament and Richlands won 3 out of 4 (barely losing the other) with a depleted squad (missing Austin Fuller among others) and after Bluefield lost all 4 of their games at the same tournament, Bluefield_Rules came on this forum and basically said Bluefield shouldn't be expected to win against schools the size and caliber of what they were facing at the Wake Forest tournament.....and when it was posted that Richlands had only lost the one game he said he didn't believe it.....although it was true and Richlands meets the same caliber competition (schools from VA., NC, Maryland.....) at the UVA tournament where last year 37 teams competed and this year over 50 teams competed, with Richlands being the smallest there

But that was '06, richlands earned a state title and bluefield was very inconsistent and underachieved so I'm not certain what that has to do with anything.

Could it be argued that that shows that a team has some quality skill position players, certainly, but in my opinion peope would be wise not to start using the results of 7 on 7s to predict a season of football. That's common to a wrestler, for example, doing really well in a power lifting contest and assuming they should do equally as well in all wrestling matches because the results of the weight lifting contest indiciates they're physically strong.....

there's simply to much more to football than that.

i dont know much about these 7 on 7s but i dont believe they will make or break a season.i would think that they are beneficial and any team who plans on throwing the ball any should participate as much as possible.it should help QBs and recievers get their timing down.all schools should take advantage of these.i dont see how anyone can tell if they are gonna have a good or bad year,because they arent anywhere near the same as live football with 11 on 11.

[ QUOTE ]

I was merely trying to show the relevance between the 7 on 7 and regular season. For Richlands, William Cambell, Powell Valley, Abingdon, and an increasing number of High School teams it is a tremendous indicator of what is to come. Why? Because they run a SPREAD offense and unlike Tazewell, Graham, Carroll County, Marion and etc.... who runs a ground based attack. The SPREAD offense employs multiple receivers, there is no fullback and no full house backfield. That is why Tazewell, Graham, and Carroll County does not participate in 7 on 7. Marion to their credit does. Now I'm assuming Marion still runs a Wing-T attack (not Giles Single Wing, there is a major difference) as does Carroll County. Again I was trying to show relevance bewtween the two competitions, and I would appreciate it if you would cease the personal attacks. Every team has undesirable fans, Richlands is no different. But, Tazewell, Graham, CC, Bluefield, etc... is not exempt either. The fact is Bulldogs 52, some of these so called "cocky %^$#@@(^" has opened the door for the youth football programs in Honaker, Twin Valley, and Tazewell to join the Richlands program. And I am proud to say that I had a small part in enabling that to happen.

[/ QUOTE ]You don't know what the heck your talking about because i know for a fact that carroll county and tazewell have participated in 7 on 7's we've been to 3 so far and tazewell was at each of those too and by the way we won every game there we played besides one against pulaski at the very first one and we didn't do to bad that game either...and we have another one in mt. airy friday so just because we didn't travel to richlands to your 7 on 7 thing doesnt mean we don't go to them