Coal Classic Summary

GHS89

First off, I won't say anything about Richlands until someone from down there posts first. Maybe that will keep the peace.

I saw much more from Graham than I expected. Extremely physical and hardnosed. The departure of Cole may have saved a quarterback controversy at Graham. Marrs appeared to be much more than the guy who is going to hand the ball to TB. It's going to be interesting to see him grow with experience and confidence. Graham may not have many explosive atheletes, but they've got some darn good plain ole football players.

I don't know what to think of Bluefield. They seem to be short on the typical quick speedsters you expect (Powell, Perdue,.,.,etc. types). Brooks is a definate factor, but with his seemingly physical style, you'd expect him in cardinal red and gold. Much of what Bluefield does this year may well depend on him. Ponder looks like he can make a difference, but he has to have the ball. Quarterback situation looks tough there. I wouldn't want to be in Simon's shoes. I'll just say that I hope McClanahan and Cole play to their fullest potential and that a clear frontrunner emerges. Prior to today, I thought the Beavers would handle the G-Men easily, but now I feel like next week might be a great game with a happy ending,.,.,west of Wal-Mart anyway.

I agree with that post for most part Graham Beaver game is going to be a good one...Wayne, Richlands, and Graham performed well for what i saw did not get to see gw and mt view play...notes...thought bluefields o line was terrible...thought martingsburg o line was awful!!!...expected better athletes for Martinsburg looks like a down year for them possibly...however you cannot tell alot from these scrimmages...friday night regular season games are a whole new ball game

i agree with the first post....david marrs i believe is going to be a better quarterback then will cole was...he is more of a play for the coach type of guy....he suprised me....tyler barreras is a tank and on d he is a freak.....ronnie scott hits the hole hard..and ben on lays the wood....the secondary was lookin good with jonathan brewster austin bokish and dominique lane....aj jeffers suprised me by steppin up....the line is lookin great..and alll around graham did pretty good

[ QUOTE ]

First off, I won't say anything about Richlands until someone from down there posts first. Maybe that will keep the peace.

[/ QUOTE ]

this should be interesting....what do you want to say??....

I'll say this.......the Richlands coaching staff does an absolutely outstanding job.....just like the past two years the team gets better and better the more they play....today, i didn't see the defense give up a run longer than 5 yards in either scrimmage, and it appears, they settled some questions in the secondary also (d-backs played very well against Martinsburg after giving up long pass plays late against Wayne)......Joel Elswick came in against Martinsburg and started throwing bullets as he led Richlands on back to back td drives...hopefully, they will get some of their linemen healthy this week and be at full strength next week against Gate City......

[

..hopefully, they will get some of their linemen healthy this week and be at full strength next week against Gate City......

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh no, you didn't say that.

The Richlands defense is very strong. But right now Richlands reminds me of Graham in 2003. Graham had two great years in '01 and '02 and went into '03 with high hopes. Alot of talent was gone from the '01 and '02 squads, and the '03 season rode on the back of some Bradshaw guy. Richlands folk will remember that year well as he put on a show to win a close one there. Anyway, Graham made it to the state semi-final in '03, losing to Greta who had the best high school offense I've ever seen. Things came together for them when they developed some other offensive weapons. Fuller is the real deal indeed, and Richlands showed some of what they must do when they got him out of the backfield. The line didn't impress me. You want him to have the ball somewhere out in front of your line, not behind it. Some more offensive weapons need developed. Fuller alone will carry you to some success, but not to the success you're used to. You should be thrilled with the defense. It's easier to win 14-10 every week than it is to win 45-38. For now the title is yours to defend. Best of luck. If Graham can't win it, I hope you can.

My quick thoughts on Bluefield today:

Bluefieldâ€â€I might be getting bashed a little for saying this, but I was seriously under whelmed with the play of Will Cole at QB. He telegraphed all of his passes and has absolutely no zip on his passes. Throwing into the flat this season will be an adventure in a negative way for Bluefield if he doesn’t learn to zip the ball. He did have a 77-yard TD pass to Chase Joyner early in the GW scrimmage. However, the final three possessions of that scrimmage results in three Cole interceptions. Someone made reference to Sean Glennon last night when talking about Cole and I definitely saw that today. Eric McClanahan looked much better running the second team offense against the first team Wayne defense with freshmen in the backfield behind him and at various other positions. McClanahan also absolutely destroyed a defensive back from Wayne, #28, on the tail-end of a long scramble down the left sideline. I was in the Cole should start camp going into today, but after today put me into the McClanahan camp.

The Beaver defense didn’t look overly bad. The first team defense didn’t give up a touchdown the entire afternoon. The only score on them was a Martinsburg FG. The got good penetration, but missed a number of tackles in the backfield b/c they didn’t wrap up. However, the pursuit was excellent and the tackle looked improved from the previous season. The defense has a chance to be down right nasty if they start making the tackle upon first contact. They have a number of heavy, hard hitters on the unit especially Shawn Brooks.

The offense wasn’t impressive at all, although you knew the playbook was very watered down. Cole received solid protection on most snaps and if he could throw the ball would have numerous completions. The speed and big play ability of the skill positions is probably the best since 2004, especially at receiver with Ponder, Joyner, and Casey.

Bluefield’s freshmen class looked very good throughout the day. No less than five freshmen played defensively throughout the scrimmage against Wayne as they were on the 2nd string defensive unit and they showed well for freshmen. Freshmen Kyle Harris, Levi Beckett, Keith Ferguson, and Cody Beck played pretty much the entire one-quarter scrimmage versus Wayne on defense. Kyle Harris looks like he’s going to be stud at TB with good size at 5’11†and plenty of time to add some weight. He showed good vision and the ability to take a hit and keep on moving as well as that little extra burst to get around the corner. The other freshmen TB, Trey Williams, looked good against the Wayne JV early in the afternoon. Levi Beckett looked very solid at QB during the JV scrimmage versus Wayne; he has some wheels and a good arm. He looked good on defense against the Wayne first string varsity offense later in the evening.

I was impressed and relieved at what I saw out of Turquan Casey, especially defensively. The kid isn’t afraid to stick his nose in there and deliver a hit. I was worried that he would shy away from contact, but he went looking for contact throughout the scrimmage against Wayne. I was also impressed with Chase Joyner. He has a great set of hands as he made several great catches on poorly throw balls. Oh, and the kid can run too.

Honestly, the biggest area of concern I have with Bluefield is Cole at QB and the defense wrapping up on tackles instead of trying to strip the football. How those two areas shake up will determine just what type of season Beaver has in 2007.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

yeah..he has a leg

[/ QUOTE ]

Speaking of legs, how is yours? Keep hittin that hole young man. You are going to have a big year.....

[/ QUOTE ]Its good..i sprained it...and ill keep hitting the holes hard...thanks

My quick thoughts on the other team:

Grahamâ€â€I missed their scrimmage against Wayne, but I was supremely impressed with the scrimmage versus Martinsburg. Before hand I thought Martinsburg might push them around on the line, but it was just the opposite. Graham owned Martinsburg’s much bigger defensive line the entire time and pounded the ball down their throat. The hit that Barress (sp?) put on the 6’4-ish and 215-ish Martinsburg QB following his interception was the nastiest hit of the night; and he was carrying the ball (lol). Appearance-wise Graham isn’t going to be a team that blows you away and they don’t have the speed they’ve had in recent years. However, Graham is going to be a hard-nosed, fundamentally sound, blue collar, never say die team all season. They will win a game or two that no one expects them to win. One thing is certain; Bluefield is going to have their hands full next Friday night. I expect a low-scoring, defensive struggle with a final like 14-7 or 14-10.

Martinsburgâ€â€Very big and athletic looking team, but didn’t look very good against Graham on either side of the ball. Defensively they looked much, much better against Richlands and even Bluefield. They lived in the Richlands backfield most of that scrimmage (I left after the first quarter).

George Wytheâ€â€They have a very good QB, who seems to be very savvy and throws a nice football. The receiver/DB, #84, looked like a very good player as well. GW will be a handful for any team on their schedule. They didn’t score on Bluefield’s defensive, but did have an INT late in the scrimmage for a touchdown to avoid getting shutout.

Richlandsâ€â€The Fuller kid looked very good at QB, when he had time to throw. The best back for Richlands on the afternoon/evening was #6. The biggest question mark for Richlands was their offensive line as Wayne was able to get very good penetration after the first series. And Martinsburg ate Richlands’ line up throughout the first quarter I saw of that scrimmage; they made Fuller’s life hell. Apparently though, Richlands never brings their first string OL to scrimmages so it might not be an issue after all.

Wayneâ€â€It was hard to get a read on Wayne. I was told that they didn’t look good against Graham in their first scrimmage, which I did not see any part of. Offensively, they didn’t do anything against Richlands’ full starting defensive unit, but did score two touchdowns against mostly Richlands reserves. Defensively, Richlands marched right down the field on them and scored a TD in the opening series of the scrimmage. However, as the scrimmage wore on and they got a better feel for what Richlands was going they did a much better job. Although, after the first series Richlands dialed their offensive play-calling it appeared. And then against Bluefield in the one-quarter scrimmage the Beavers played their second string offensive and defensive units the entire quarter, which consisted of four and sometimes five freshmen, so that made it hard to gauge them.

I didn’t see Mount View as they only scrimmaged GW since Martinsville was a no-show. I was told that GW pretty much handled MV with ease.

might as well post my thoughts, I personally would satart mclanahan at qb, and to be fair to cole 1 of those interceptions was a deflected pass and on the 1 gw scored on the defender made a good play and that's the risk of passing to the side. I couldn't tell any difference in the 2 physically, although mclnahan seemed more mobil and certainly more mobile than in other seasons.

Lilly seems to be a much more formidable fb than bowes. I thought that before and now I'm convinced.

Bluefield should pass deeper more often, short passes don't seem to really compliment their speed, and they permit the d to respect the pass less. Stretching the field downfield, would make a big difference in my opinion.

their d has a lot of potential but they don't seem to know what they're doing assignment wise.

Bluefield's potential is obvious though because george wythe had an impressive team, they should do very well in va. a.

Other than that, not much to write, there will be a big difference in the football scheme from this and the graham game, they simply can't do much with the biggest game of the season a week away, whereas grahm has a style that affords them to play exactly the way they'll play in that game, not discrediting them at all, simply writing that it seems what you saw from graham is what you'll see from graham, bluefield will likely do many different things and perhaps has a lot more yet to show. Could be the difference in the game.

In my opinion, although I didn't watch grahm much at all, but based on scores, graham might very well move the ball well against bluefield and slow them more on o, but not certain they'll be able to limit bluefield's big plays enough for it to matter, but for certain will be a hard game and likely close.

I'm also going to mention something I've had in mind for a few years but I confirmws it at least for myself, bluefield's wieght program seems to be very lacking, they might have some strength in some individuals, and some seasons, such as '03 or '04, but, overall year after year it seems bluefield lacks the pure muscle on their players that a lot of other high school team's seem to have.

Lastly, I might as well copy and paste this for every season from now till coaching changes at bluefield, with all due respect to them, but for goodness sake if bluefield ever figures out to use there speed with reverses or end arounds or a qb bootleg, they'll be tenfold more effective on o.

Overall I thought all in all, all teams represented have a lot of potential.

I couldn't gauge Wayne either...and I've been watching them play for years. Couldn't run the ball. Pass protected pretty well. Threw it alright. Run defense was alright (Graham wore them down on the final drive with their size)...pass d was respectable once they got the deer in the headlights look out against Richlands...and that was without one of the starting DB's and a starting LB who got dinged midway through the Richlands scrimmage. So I mean...not used to seeing teams control Wayne and push them around like that...but in the end...Wayne really held their own.

For the record, Richlands did have some different guys in their front 7, but they had at least parts of their starting secondary in for the two TD passes (#6 and #12 on the first...#6, #12, and Fuller on the second).

Wayne didn't look horrible against Graham...the final was 6-0 and Graham scored with 25 seconds left. The rest of that scrimmage was pretty much even.

I didn't stay for the Bluefield quarter...one of my travelling party doesn't handle heat well. I wanted to see it...that 40-yard JV scrimmage was entertaining if nothing else.

[ QUOTE ]

I couldn't gauge Wayne either...and I've been watching them play for years. Couldn't run the ball. Pass protected pretty well. Threw it alright. Run defense was alright (Graham wore them down on the final drive with their size)...pass d was respectable once they got the deer in the headlights look out against Richlands...and that was without one of the starting DB's and a starting LB who got dinged midway through the Richlands scrimmage. So I mean...not used to seeing teams control Wayne and push them around like that...but in the end...Wayne really held their own.

For the record, Richlands did have some different guys in their front 7, but they had at least parts of their starting secondary in for the two TD passes (#6 and #12 on the first...#6, #12, and Fuller on the second).

Wayne didn't look horrible against Graham...the final was 6-0 and Graham scored with 25 seconds left. The rest of that scrimmage was pretty much even.

I didn't stay for the Bluefield quarter...one of my travelling party doesn't handle heat well. I wanted to see it...that 40-yard JV scrimmage was entertaining if nothing else.

[/ QUOTE ]

As you or someone else said previously the caliber of teams there today really helped expose weaknesses in all of the teams. It'll help all down the road and was an excellent event, which if ever moved to a Saturday would draw even bigger crowds.

[ QUOTE ]

what's the reason martinsville wasn't there?

[/ QUOTE ]

According to one of the coaches from MV that I spoke with they phoned early in the afternoon, stating they thought the scrimmage was tomorrow and they couldn't make it today. Which I just find hard to believe and wonder what type of people they have running their program to make such a goof-up, if in fact that they did think the scrimmage was tomorrow.

I had thought the scrimmage was tomorrow too. Though I thought back when the line-up for the grid o rama was put in the paper a few weeks ago, rick taylor said it was on saturday I thought. Thats why I thought that it was tomorrow. Thats why when I saw on here a couple days ago someone saying that it was today, I thought they were possibly wrong. It could very well be possible that they were miss informed that they thought it would be tomorrow. Or if it had been set for Saturday originally they were not told. But either way yeah it sucked not getting to see Martinsburg there. Instead I got to witness what I thought was the comedy for the day. Not knocking the kid but #34 I think it was for bluefield (was on the JV team) was hilarious getting pushed around by that big WR for Wayne's JV team. Big heart, small body.

Anyway, yeah as me and some of my friends were pointing out today. Graham dodged a bullet by Cole going to Bluefield. I didn't get to go to many of the Graham games last year nor the year before. But from what I was told about it Cole kept throwing INT's all the time. What was going to make people think any different of him being at Bluefield? Honestly he telegraphed every throw. I knew exactly who he was throwing to just because he had a dead stare at each Receiver that he was going to throw to. If he plans on going past High school playing he has got to work on that. Because for a QB that is a MAJOR weakness.

On a side note. I have never been to a scrimmage. Or atleast one similar to the grid o rama and had to sit the stands (i was usually on the field) But I didn't enjoy sharing sides with other teams fans. Some fans are just plan out rude and careless towards other teams. These people that were sitting behind me were cheering for bluefied (and I know not all are like this and I'm sure every team has fans like this) But they sat behind me and during the GW vs Bluefield Scrimmage when the GW guy got injured the ADULT with her 3 kids was sitting there saying good I am glad our boys can take them out. She was also more focused on trying to find out who hurt the player instead of caring that the player seemed to be very much injured. I just find it rude and very unkind of someone to be so careless for another person expecially an adult infront of their children teaching them to be like this towards other "kids" (the players) Also is that player for GW ok? Does anyone know the story on that like what happened I couldn't see exactly what happened, but it did look fairly serious.

According to the GW player who got injured, when he was tackled, he was kind of clothes lined and then when the Bluefield player was getting off of him, he put his elbow and forearm across the kneck of the GW player to push himself up. This caused the GW player to not be able to get his breath back. He was taken to the hospital, but will be okay. This could have been intentional or it could have been aggressive play. Only that person really knows. You are right about the ADULT though. But, football brings "them" out of the woodwork. Thanks for asking about him. He is a good kid and a big part of our "single A depth".

About that mom talking crap in front of her kids, Well that just goes to prove my theory about why our youth and children act the way they do. No regard or respect for others!! Anyway, great football yesterday!!

What exactly was his injury? I suspected shoulder or collarbone. Glad to hear he will be okay though. Tough loss for GW with the ankle on #32 I believe was the number last week. He was a player. Didn't you guys have a good wideout last week that was #6? Where was he yesterday?