Graham @ Richlands

Rhschamps04

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[ QUOTE ]

are u really that simple minded? looks like people would do it every single kick off if that was the case... but they show class and use that strategy when it is needed... all im saying is put ur self in that situation and how u would feel about it.. its my opinion and very good opinion i think, but like i said it was last year it dont even matter, we will just have to "agree to disagree"

[/ QUOTE ] Adidas, let me see if I can explain this to you from my piont of view. There is a risk when you try to execute an onside kick...nothing guarantees you that you are going to get the ball, even if, as you say, you win the coin toss. If Richlands had kicked the onside kick and NOT recovered the ball, it would have been the other team's ball in GREAT field position. That's why it's a risky play, just like a fake punt or a halfback pass or a reverse. All these plays involve risk, they are not automatic, and you have to execute the play to make it work. With that being said. I know you're not going to agree with me either, so I'll just make this my last attempt in trying to explain my point of view. Kicking an onside kick to begin the game is in no way unsportsmanlike, and you are the one who is "simple minded" if you think so.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

are u really that simple minded? looks like people would do it every single kick off if that was the case... but they show class and use that strategy when it is needed... all im saying is put ur self in that situation and how u would feel about it.. its my opinion and very good opinion i think, but like i said it was last year it dont even matter, we will just have to "agree to disagree"

[/ QUOTE ] Adidas, let me see if I can explain this to you from my piont of view. There is a risk when you try to execute an onside kick...nothing guarantees you that you are going to get the ball, even if, as you say, you win the coin toss. If Richlands had kicked the onside kick and NOT recovered the ball, it would have been the other team's ball in GREAT field position. That's why it's a risky play, just like a fake punt or a halfback pass or a reverse. All these plays involve risk, they are not automatic, and you have to execute the play to make it work. With that being said. I know you're not going to agree with me either, so I'll just make this my last attempt in trying to explain my point of view. Kicking an onside kick to begin the game is in no way unsportsmanlike, and you are the one who is "simple minded" if you think so.

[/ QUOTE ]well said bama, had abingdon recovered the kick then mance would have been ridiculed for a bonehead decision. apparently there was something in the formation that dictated the onside or deep kick call. same as the fake against tazewell. it was pre-designed that if they lined up in a certain return formation then austin was to audible to a fake.(they probably didnt think to tell him not to do it if we were spanking them that bad).btw. we also ran that fake twice against rockbidge in the champ game .scored once and missed the conversion by a spot the second time.better ready to play ball on special teams as well as the rest of the game with rlands. welcome to the board bamma!

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] ur not coming from where im coming from on this, and im not gonna try to explain it to u anymore, u wont convince me otherwise because its my opinion just as u have yours, and im not trying to convince you... thanks and have a nice day..smirk.gif

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ] ur not coming from where im coming from on this, and im not gonna try to explain it to u anymore, u wont convince me otherwise because its my opinion just as u have yours, and im not trying to convince you... thanks and have a nice day..smirk.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Any well coached team will tell the front five not to drop back to block until they are 100% sure that the ball will be kicked. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the Richlands coaching staff picked up in film study that the front five guys were flying back to block leaving the area open for a successful onside kick. Nothing unsportsmanlike at all about taking advantage of that especially on the opening kickoff. Great coaching on one side, and poor coaching on the other.

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Any well coached team will tell the front five not to drop back to block until they are 100% sure that the ball will be kicked. My guess, and it is only a guess, is that the Richlands coaching staff picked up in film study that the front five guys were flying back to block leaving the area open for a successful onside kick. Nothing unsportsmanlike at all about taking advantage of that especially on the opening kickoff. Great coaching on one side, and poor coaching on the other.

[/ QUOTE ] Exactly! I am just flabergasted that anyone would call an onside kick at the beginning of the game "unsportsmanlike". It blows my mind!

The tendency you look for is those front guys looking back prior to the kick. If you catch that in film, and have a savvy kicker, it can become a read option on kick off.

Obviously it not something you trot out ever game; but it can be a nice little edge to have.

[ QUOTE ]

so if they do it to u friday night, ud feel the same way? u wouldnt think it was unspotrsmanlike in any way?

[/ QUOTE ]

dont most onside kicks come in close or even tied games? and dont most if not all games start in a 0-0 tie??? riddle me that batman???

[ QUOTE ]

i still have a right to voice my opinion, is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ] You do have a right to voice your opinion, Adidas, but you also need to admit when you are just plain dead wrong. Have you seen anyone come to your defense on this post? Anyone with any football knowledge knows your statement about an onside kick at the beginning of a game being "unsportsmanlike" is absolutely ridiculous! You just wanted to voice an attack on Richlands and their football program, and that my friend is painfully obvious. Your opinion has no basis...it's WRONG! You don't know what you're talking about, and that my friend is very clear.

[ QUOTE ]

You just wanted to voice an attack on Richlands and their football program, and that my friend is painfully obvious.

[/ QUOTE ] and who are you? do you know who i am or where im from? can u not accept the fact that im going to believe what i want and you are going to believe what you want, thats the reason we are 2 different people.. nothing to get your panties in a bunch about, you need to chill out.. and as for you mayor, i know ur just playin, its all cool...

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

i still have a right to voice my opinion, is that correct?

[/ QUOTE ] You do have a right to voice your opinion, Adidas, but you also need to admit when you are just plain dead wrong. Have you seen anyone come to your defense on this post? Anyone with any football knowledge knows your statement about an onside kick at the beginning of a game being "unsportsmanlike" is absolutely ridiculous! You just wanted to voice an attack on Richlands and their football program, and that my friend is painfully obvious. Your opinion has no basis...it's WRONG! You don't know what you're talking about, and that my friend is very clear.

[/ QUOTE ] Who you are and where you're from has nothing to do with it. I don't know you, and you don't know me...all I know about you is what you post, and that speaks volumes.

The purpose of playing or participating in any sport is to finish on top or as the winner. That being said any attempt to gain an advantage over your opponent that is neither illegal or unethical is sound strategy. While football is a physical game of field position, another strategy employed at all levels is the on of psyche. Trying to frustrate your opponent to the point that they make mistakes that you may capitalize on is not "Unsportsmanlike". It's smart.

I can remember us running a fake punt against C-burg back in '91 when the score was out of reach but it wasn't the coaches that called it. During the season we always worked on special teams and what to do in certain situations. If you could tell that the defense is going to rush to block the punt then the call was made that "THEIR COMING" and the punter just simply threw it to the tight end. Those of you who played in the early 90's may remember this. Coach Carlock wasn't very happy with it but that's what was taught and of course he had to take the backlash for it being done. Point is that it's not always the coaches that make these decisions.