Congrats To SWVASPORTS.COM G-Man & Lance

All the hardwork being rewarded. Congrats Guys.

BY TIM HAYES

Bristol Herald Courier

Jeffrey Atwell has a certain passion in his life. One he shares with folks throughout Southwest Virginia.

"I have always loved high school football," Atwell said. "It is football in its purest form. The kids play it because they love the game. The coaches coach because they love the game. And for the fans, high school football builds a great sense of pride in the community … they live and breathe for that game under the Friday night lights."

Since 2001, Atwell has been sharing his love for high school football with fellow fans in Southwest Virginia and abroad. The Bluefield native is the operator and web master of a site dedicated to football (and other sports) in the area.

His Web site is one of the area’s most popular and according to his calculations, his site and its message boards have had nearly 18 million hits since its inception.

The internet has become a big player on the local high school sports scene in recent years. Pages dedicated to schools, districts and high school sports in general have sprung up at an amazing rate.

There are sites dedicated to teams (Richlands’ football team, Virginia High’s baseball team and Abingdon’s baseball team are just a few examples), districts (forums and sites dedicated to the Clinch Mountain District, Lonesome Pine District, Cumberland District and Hogoheegee District have been created to name a few) and sports like wrestling and track and field have their own domains.

And the sites are popular.

"I think the majority of sports fans at our school visited these sites," said Virginia Intermont College freshman Haley Odle, a former star at Gate City and Coeburn high schools. "Not to mention, posted against rival schools on a very regular basis."

The Forums

Most of the Web sites dedicated to high school sports include message boards for fans to offer their opinions. These forums stay busy.

"I think it’s great that Web sites and message boards are available to promote our kids’ athletic endeavors and for fans to express their points of view in an open forum," Atwell said. "I’ve ‘met’ lots of great people through the internet who are as passionate about high school football as I am."

The boards can also be reliable to coaches come tournament time.

"Very helpful in scouting an opponent," Chilhowie baseball coach Jeff Robinson said. "You can get information on individual players, such as statistics, injury status, suspensions, etc. and get info on teams like overall performance – with both bias and unbiased commentary – and schedules – especially helpful during baseball with so many postponements and scheduling changes."

However, sometimes these boards can feature trash talk and plenty of smack talk.

"I do discourage the athletes that I coach from posting on these particular message boards," Holston football coach Jason Matlock said. "I think that is acceptable to see what other people are saying on the various message boards, but the minute you start posting you run the risk of saying something to give another team added incentive. You do not want to give another team any bulletin board material."

No matter what the purpose, people are still logging in.

The Web Master

As for Atwell, he continues to pursue his labor of love. He stays busy as high school football season unfolds.

The Graham-High School graduate, known on his site to most people as the G-Man, does it with a smile.

"I think the greatest satisfaction I get out of running the web site are the e-mails I receive from people who are no longer in the area, thanking me for ‘keeping them in touch’ with what’s going on back home," Atwell said. "I’ve had e-mails from folks who live all over the United States, from folks in our Military serving our great country both at home and abroad, and even e-mails from people who live and work in different countries."

He didn't use everything I told him. I gave him your name as well and told him that none of this would be possible without you...don't know why he didn't include it. You deserve as much of the accolades as I do.

BTW...you've got a PM...HELP!!!!

lol...thats cool man...wasn't worried about that sort of thing...appreciate it though...it's all good with me.

i sent you a pm back...heading to work and i'll hook you up from there once i get settled in.

see ya soon.

Hey guys!

Great website! Congrats on the recognition. Very cool to have a place to discuss our local sports. The area and schools deserve a little chat and recognition. I use it quite a bit and have shown it to many people in and out of town to help keep up with their teams and such.

[ QUOTE ]

He didn't use everything I told him. I gave him your name as well and told him that none of this would be possible without you...don't know why he didn't include it. You deserver as much of the accolades as I do.

BTW...you've got a PM...HELP!!!!

[/ QUOTE ]

Lance we'll give you kudos......G-man is famous or is it infamous.... well known and "beloved" in the area.lol You toil behind the "screens" mainly popping up now and then

w/morsels for us. We, that need to be doing more productive things w/life....but waiting eagerly for the next post from someone that triggers that addictive urge to respond. Congrats to you both for giving us this site.....

Congratulations guys. I have enjoyed my interaction here with you all, even when I get my hackles up about officiating and the like! Seriously, thank you for this site. I live in Birmingham, Al. and this site along with the Blue Tornado Football website keep me informed about what's going on in the SW Va. area, and for that I am truly thankful. Keep up the good work!

[ QUOTE ]

Congrates guys on a site well kept and informative! Keep up the great work!

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck up! LOL

What time does your tailgate start and why aren't you here already???

[ QUOTE ]

[ QUOTE ]

Congrates guys on a site well kept and informative! Keep up the great work!

[/ QUOTE ]

You suck up! LOL

What time does your tailgate start and why aren't you here already???

[/ QUOTE ]

Keep it up and I won't let you have any chicken or beer! LOL I am waiting for a call from the bunch in the van coming from NOVA now. They have the supplies and I hope they get here soon! I'm getting hungry and thirsty!! LOL

I have to at least look like i am working at least for a little while, you know. Even if it is just being here in body only today. Besides, it is dryer in the office then in the parking lot right now!

i think my posting and being an active member here to this board brings a lil something special to it as well! Im suprised my name wasnt mentioned ! hahahaha

[ QUOTE ]

i think my posting and being an active member here to this board brings a lil something special to it as well! Im suprised my name wasnt mentioned ! hahahaha

[/ QUOTE ]

anyone who gets a speeding ticket on a 4 wheeler is ok in my book...lol

[ QUOTE ]

Yeh, Tim called up and said "I'll make you famous".

[/ QUOTE ]

G-Man,back in the old VHSF days when you told me you were planning on starting this I never dreamed it would get this big. Once Lance came on board things started moving along quickly and now this site is absolutely awesome. Congratuations to both of you guys you deserve it. It really just shows what a great bunch of dedicated sports fans who love their teams in this area. Without the fans there is no site, so congrats to them also. Great work guys.

On a serious note, congratulations really are in order to both you guys! this site is by far the best sports site around, period! so congrats and thank you! Next, im NOT an attention whore! Just A whore! hahah (in the good sense) and lastly as for my speeding ticket on my ATV..i recently found out that in TN they take points from your license for ATV offenses! YES they do, so i lost 6 points for that one incident b/c i was actually ticketed for 69 MPH in a 20 and passing on a double line. (the cars were goin so slow!) haha truth!