Bluefield-Graham post-game discussion.

BeaverHokie

One win gets that kind of reaction from you? Ummm, okay. As much joy as Bluefield has had from beating Graham all those years, that's still not as big a deal as winning all nine of those state championships, though. :)

The context of my post was a sarcastic remark that I was making about how the end of this game will forever be debated.

You misunderstood.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know what son..let the beavers play in VA i bet they would only have 3 titles am i right or am i right? VA is a bit stiffer boy

Groan....no, you're not right, this has been discussed ad nauseum. Pretty lame argument. Do what you can to discount 9 state championships, of course, because you don't have 9 state championships. Naturally, they must be sub-par, since you didn't win them.

We don't know. You,I, Freddy Simon, the kid who said that. The only ones whos job it was to watch it and judge are the officials. Not some biased kid who said this or that. Impartial referees said he did not cross the plain with the ball. And sorry for lumping you in with people like sources and the others. I am just tired of hearing it. We won, no excuses.

I'm under the impression from reading that impartial refs said they "didn't see" the qb go over the plain and didn't know whether it was a score or not, "obviously there wasn't a fumble" or whether or not he was over the line in their minds would be a mute point, so considering the ball ended up over the goaline they should be required to say it's a score.

They did not mention a fumble to coach simon based on that. Should they not throw a beanbag at least if there's a fumble?

Guest JJBrickface

I think the biggest mistake by the refs was not stopping the clock. If you don't know whats going on then you blow the play dead and sort it out. Its a shame that it had to end that way.

Thats another good point. The Bluefield staff argued with the offcials to allow 7 seconds back on the clock, to allow time for the run and whatnot. The offcials should have stopped the clock to sort things out.

I'm under the impression from reading that impartial refs said they "didn't see" the qb go over the plain and didn't know whether it was a score or not, "obviously there wasn't a fumble" or whether or not he was over the line in their minds would be a mute point, so considering the ball ended up over the goaline they should be required to say it's a score.

They did not mention a fumble to coach simon based on that. Should they not throw a beanbag at least if there's a fumble?

You make a good point. They should have thrown a bean bag if there was a fumble. That play was bazarre to say the least. I thought he lost the ball into the endzone and a Graham player recovered, that was my initial reaction. However, I thought that Bluefield may have scored a touchdown first, I wasn't sure.

To hear the refs say he never crossed the line, without the prospect of a fumble is interesting, because that would explain the clock running out, because wouldn't the clock stop on change of possesion? If indeed it was a fumble.

Taking all of this into consideration, I would have to think that the refs believe that Cole was down before crossing the plane of the goal.

I thought I saw his knee go down before he even crossed the goal.

Edited by futbolking
To clarify what I saw

Thats another good point. The Bluefield staff argued with the offcials to allow 7 seconds back on the clock, to allow time for the run and whatnot. The offcials should have stopped the clock to sort things out.

Well i mean they cant stop the clock unless they get a fist down. so the officals did the right thing

im just curious cause i didnt see anything posted about it... but graham won by 2... so the field goal would of won it (obvious statement i know) but why didnt they kick the field goal?

and to the person that said 11,000 ppl saw cole cross the goal line because grahams fans died and bluefields went crazy... grahams fans didnt see him cross the line we were trying to see what they called it because it was obviously close and we werent sure what had happened because no refs were showing a td sign so we thought he didnt cross...

but HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL NEEDS INSTANT REPLAY NOW haha baseball is getting it now in the pros so how long before high school football gets it lol

im just curious cause i didnt see anything posted about it... but graham won by 2... so the field goal would of won it (obvious statement i know) but why didnt they kick the field goal?

and to the person that said 11,000 ppl saw cole cross the goal line because grahams fans died and bluefields went crazy... grahams fans didnt see him cross the line we were trying to see what they called it because it was obviously close and we werent sure what had happened because no refs were showing a td sign so we thought he didnt cross...

but HIGH SCHOOL FOOTBALL NEEDS INSTANT REPLAY NOW haha baseball is getting it now in the pros so how long before high school football gets it lol

Exactly, I thought he fumbled the ball and I was waiting for a signal, either for a td or for a Graham recovery. No signal ever came and the clock ran out, that was what was weird about it. They should've signaled something. That's why I think, they must've believed that he was down before crossing thet line.

I thought I saw his knee went down beforehand

Edited by futbolking
To clarify what I saw

A buddy of mine sitting beside me, who goes to games all over heck and half of SWVA, said that the crew working the game last night was from western tazewell co. So, am I really to believe that GHS got a break from the blue crew???? Just something to think about.

My heart breaks for those boys who played their hearts out on that field last night! Those grown men should have had the decency to make the final call before scurrying off to the safety of their dressing room. All we can do is look forward to this season and put this behind us and know that Bluefield is built with tradition and outstanding character. Our boys are AMAZING!!!

My heart breaks for those boys who played their hearts out on that field last night! Those grown men should have had the decency to make the final call before scurrying off to the safety of their dressing room. All we can do is look forward to this season and put this behind us and know that Bluefield is built with tradition and outstanding character. Our boys are AMAZING!!!

What about the boys of Graham? they were down 13-0 and fought their way back..they never gave up so...

What about the boys of Graham? they were down 13-0 and fought their way back..they never gave up so...

Graham's boys are amazing as well. That was a great game. Graham is a good team but Kyle Harris made them a very good team. The game is OVER look forward to next week.

But Graham I will say this and it's only two words TAZEWELL BULLDOGS!

Graham's boys are amazing as well. That was a great game. Graham is a good team but Kyle Harris made them a very good team. The game is OVER look forward to next week.

But Graham I will say this and it's only two words TAZEWELL BULLDOGS!

Two words " NEXT WEEK"..we'll just take it one week at a time

i just love how there were 2 defensive stops at the goal line back to back in the last 2-3mins of the game... i mean that doesn't happen to often and in that big of a rivalry it made it even better...

but if not kicking the field goal... why not run a roll out passing play giving cole the option to pass or run it in that way he could at least stop the clock if they didnt catch the ball so they would of had another chance since it was 1st down... im sorry but this is **MY OPINION** why would you run a qb sneak when grahams dline is bigger and stronger and one of grahams strengths instead of taken it to them another way? i mean i dont think that last play made any sense unless he was trying to catch them off guard because if you dont get in the clocks out game over, at least throw the ball giving yourself possibly 2 chances, or even more kick the field goal...

but either way it would of ended, hell of a game, i expected it to be closer then what ppl were saying but i didnt expect graham to come on top...

A buddy of mine sitting beside me, who goes to games all over heck and half of SWVA, said that the crew working the game last night was from western tazewell co. So, am I really to believe that GHS got a break from the blue crew???? Just something to think about.

I know most of the ref's calling the game last night and to even think something like that is totally uncalled for. these guys have been calling football and bball games for a long time and they are class acts regardless where they come from. Yeah i think they should have make a call a little faster than what they did but its easy to do that sitting in the stands.

And yes i will critize their calls at the next game but not to go as far as saying their bias

What signal was given by the white hat that the game was over?

As an official, you can't give a team a TD until you know its a TD. Also, a stacked up one yard dive is the hardest thing for wingmen to call a lot of times. You have at least 6 people generally between you and the view of the ball, but a goal line call is that of a wing official.

It sounds like it was a great game though. Wish I could have been there.

I doubt that very seriously. That's the same crew that Graham folks were ready to send a lynch mob after, following a game against Richlands 3 years ago. Bluefield lost, deal with it.

the impression i got from the radio announcer was that the clock stopped then restarted, yes,no?

Being a former "clock keeper", I can tell you that even if the clock stopped, the clock keeper may have hit the button by mistake, then realized that the officials didn't signal for the clock to stop and then probably re-started it, if indeed that actually happened. Regardless, the officials have to signal for the clock to stop before the keeper can hit the button. A lot of times the clock keeper is blamed for things that he doesn't control. I was too busy waiting for a td signal and didn't notice the clock stopping and restarting, so I can't tell you if it happened or not.

That would definitely be a first...maybe they like Bluefield less than they like Graham...:eek:

Anyway...I've seen that crew in action before...and as I said, they are/were HORRIBLE...as usual...

What signal was given by the white hat that the game was over?

http://www.bafra.org/rulesctee/rulebook/2005/signals.htm

#14...without the ball, as he was turning and making his way through the mass of players piled in the endzone, he half-heartedly raised his right hand to about head level, and then headed to the official's locker room. I assumed his hand motion was an attempt to signal the end of the quarter/game...he was about as unsure with that call as he was at trying to figure out if it were a TD or a fumble...that was the only "signal" given by any of the officials on the field on the final play...