Anyone watching the price of oil???

GMan

.......Matthews (aka/made my leg tingle) and Olbermann (MSNBC)....removed by their own parent network, NBC, (from anchoring future political events) for their "in your face -no holds barred "support of the Democrats/Obama.

The death of OPEC

Posted Sep 11 2008, 07:01 AM by Douglas McIntyre Rating:

Saudi Arabia walked out on OPEC yesterday, saying it would not honor the cartel's production cut. It was tired of rants from Hugo Chavez of Venezuela and the well-dressed oil minister from Iran.

As the world's largest crude exporter, the kingdom in the desert took its ball and went home.

As the Saudis left the building, the message was shockingly clear. “Saudi Arabia will meet the market’s demand,†a senior OPEC delegate told the New York Times. “We will see what the market requires and we will not leave a customer without oil."

OPEC will still have lavish meetings and a nifty headquarters in Vienna, Austria, but the Saudis have made certain the the organization has lost its teeth. Even though the cartel argued that the sudden drop in crude was due to "oversupply", OPEC's most powerful member knows that the drop may only be temporary. Cold weather later this year could put pressure on prices. So could a decision by Russia that it wants to "punish" the U.S. and European Union for a time. That political battle is only at its beginning.

The downward pressure on oil got a second hand. Brazil has confirmed another huge oil deposit to add to one it discovered off-shore earlier this year. The first field uncovered by Petrobras has the promise of being one of the largest in the world. The breadth of that deposit has now expanded.

OPEC needs the Saudis to have any credibility in terms of pricing, supply, and the ongoing success of its bully pulpit. By failing to keep its most critical member, it forfeits its leverage.

OPEC has made no announcement about any possibility of dissolving, but the process is already over.

Top Stocks blogger Douglas A. McIntyre is an editor at 24/7 Wall St.

Just got gas at Exit 19 for $3.69 at the Chevron in Abingdon...let's see where it ends up today.

Side note...the Citgo was $3.44 yesterday and GONE today...guess they were emptying out the tanks lol.

I went to get my paycheck around 10 today, which I always fill my tank up after..I was pissed to see gas at 3.98 at food city and cornermart..so I went to blue flash on the wv side and got it for 3.89

You can't tell me there isn't "price gouging" when you can go across the line to WV and buy gas cheaper...

Over $4 and $5 down this way in some places. Saw a report on the news of one place in Johnson City at 5.59 or something close to that.

unFRICKing believable!!!

The price of a barrel is steady today...if this isn't price gouging...I don't know what is....

For any of the Richlands fans going tonight to Abingdon--you may want to wait and fill up at Walmart in Lebanon. I filled up there yesterday morning for $3.49 and when I came back through yesterday evening it had gone up to $3.59. Usually, they are the last to raise their gas when the price goes up and the last to lower it, when it goes down.

I spoke to an old friend at the Food City in Wise today because I had heard that gas was over $5.00 a gallon there. She told me that they ran our of gas this morning, and that Steve Smith (president of Food City) was there earlier that day for a meeting, and he said that he was not going to buy anymore gas until the price came down becuase he didnt want to be part of gauging people. I just really hope this dosnt get out of hand.

Out earlier this morning in "traffic land" (ATL) .....it was 3.68 going to my destination.....couple hours later it was 3.89. However, didn't see any signs of shortage....there's a gas station on every corner.

Just heard gas was $4.28 in Bluefield and $4.49 in Princeton. This is a bunch of bull crap and a case of the rich getting richer and the working man getting the shaft. Evidently these jerks are anti-American and don't have a concience and do not give a damn about starving families and children in this country! I don't care what they say!

Refinement shutdowns due to Ike........come on people, less supply divided by constant demand equalls the increased value of a commidity.

well put sandman. Prices will rise for the next several weeks due to IKE, but long term looks good.

Gas is so speculative, though. Of course, the gasoline production will be at only about 77-83% over the next two weeks (as nearly 20% of the refineries are estimated to be shut down from Ike). Of course, that'll drive up demand. But never discount the media's penchant for running the stories of "ballooning gas prices" down our throat. Oil is traded internationally as a commodity, and so is subject to investing whims. OPEC itself said that, all things being equal, Americans should be paying $2.20 for gas, based on strict supply and demand. And you know what? I tend to believe them.

Regardless, I think we can all agree that the gas situation is shameful.