Graham @ Marion

54_rakes_5

• Replies 197
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ask your phone buddy if he remembers Dave Archer. He was the qb back then. He brought newspaper clippings in and showed me and yes Gate City was tough and "ruled the roost" but Graham sure didn`t.

Well it wasn't Marion in 1968 I know that for a fact.......Tazewell won the SWD and played GW-Danville @ Mitchell Stadium in the defacto state championship game in which GW blew Tazewell off the field. Look it up in the history books.......You will find out that I am right and that you are wrong. Would anyone from Tazewell like to comfirm this?

Ask your phone buddy if he remembers Dave Archer. He was the qb back then. He brought newspaper clippings in and showed me and yes Gate City was tough and "ruled the roost" but Graham sure didn`t.

And since we are giving history lessons here I will clue you in on something.........Graham from about 1968-1972 was terrible. That was between Burrhead Bradley and Glynn Carlock. That is our only bad years, five of them. Not half a century like Marion. Prior to 1970 there was only one state champion in the entire state of Virginia. The only school west of Andrew Lewis (Salem) to win a state championship prior to 1970 was you guessed it. Graham High School, not Gate City, not Powell Valley, not Appalachia, not Richlands, and certainly not Marion. So to say we didn't rule any roost in the 1960's is ignorant, as we were the 1962 state champion. Ok, you might have us from 68-72, but that's it bub......

As I've said before...what in the heck does any of this have to do with the game being played on friday night?

bupkiss....that's what.

LET THE KIDS PLAY!!

The kids who play on friday don't give a dang who won 40 years ago...

Edited by futbolking

And since we are giving history lessons here I will clue you in on something.........Graham from about 1968-1972 was terrible. That was between Burrhead Bradley and Glynn Carlock. That is our only bad years, five of them. Not half a century like Marion. Prior to 1970 there was only one state champion in the entire state of Virginia. The only school west of Andrew Lewis (Salem) to win a state championship prior to 1970 was you guessed it. Graham High School, not Gate City, not Powell Valley, not Appalachia, not Richlands, and certainly not Marion. So to say we didn't rule any roost in the 1960's is ignorant, as we were the 1962 state champion. Ok, you might have us from 68-72, but that's it bub......

CPF got you there storm warning JR.

HAHAHA thats true.but you know because marion beat graham in the playoffs last year that automatically means they are gonna beat us this year.so their fans think anyway.boy they are gonna be upset friday nite.

nah its not a new rivalry its just a district game Marions rival is Abingdon, like Grahams is prob Tazewell and Richlands

you need to read up more,grahams biggest rivalary is beaver. i doubt many highschool teams even the big 3a schools get 11 thousand fans out to a ball game even when the teams are down. and this game was listed by espn as one of the top 10 rivals in the country if i am not mistaken.

you need to read up more,grahams biggest rivalary is beaver. i doubt many highschool teams even the big 3a schools get 11 thousand fans out to a ball game even when the teams are down. and this game was listed by espn as one of the top 10 rivals in the country if i am not mistaken.

And the only other teams in this part of VA that even get close to that amount of fans during a game would be Richlands vs Tazewell.

HAHAHA thats true.but you know because marion beat graham in the playoffs last year that automatically means they are gonna beat us this year.so their fans think anyway.boy they are gonna be upset friday nite.

I don`t think that is the reason Marion has a chance to win. Last year is last year just like the 1970`s was the 70`s. Both teams have apparently improved. The Graham fans are the ones that think the game is already wrapped up because Marion has beaten them once since 1985.

The game will be played on the field this friday night, not by 40 year old men on a messageboard, or by players who suited up 40 years ago.

i love it when someone makes a stupid post like this lmao.

List of things this game will NOT be played by:

Chimpanzees with umbrella tattoos

Mary Poppins

Anything made by Dodge

Superheros

Anyone named Remus or that goes by "Big Country"

Anyone related to Mary Poppins

Someone with a wooden foot

..thats all I can think of, there are probably more.

I didn't realize I had stumbled onto the old man board.. is there a 25 and younger board?

JK Futbolking, makin some pokes. Lance was the one that called your post stupid... all I did was expand upon it.

List of things this game will NOT be played by:

Chimpanzees with umbrella tattoos

Mary Poppins

Anything made by Dodge

Superheros

Anyone named Remus or that goes by "Big Country"

Anyone related to Mary Poppins

Someone with a wooden foot

..thats all I can think of, there are probably more.

I didn't realize I had stumbled onto the old man board.. is there a 25 and younger board?

JK Futbolking, makin some pokes. Lance was the one that called your post stupid... all I did was expand upon it.

George Blanda had a wooden foot and he did ok with it for a while...

George Blanda had a wooden foot and he did ok with it for a while...

Haha, agreed. Although I was referring to the game Friday night between Graham and Marion, you totally called me out.

George Blanda: The Wooden Footed Warrior

http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/Blanda1Small.jpg

Just by looking at him, you know he didn't wear a helmet growing up.

Haha, agreed. Although I was referring to the game Friday night between Graham and Marion, you totally called me out.

George Blanda: The Wooden Footed Warrior

http://www.conigliofamily.com/images/Blanda1Small.jpg

Just by looking at him, you know he didn't wear a helmet growing up.

yeah he played back in the day where if you couldn't find a ball you just stuff a cat in a bag and roll with it...

I remember a couple years ago their was around 10,000 fans at the Richalnds-Tazewell game. I expect to see just as many at this years game.

i agree with that but the difference with graham and bluefield,is that is every year not just a few years here and there. not taking anything away from rhs or ths. also not many stadiums in highschool football can match mitchell stadium. again granted it is not a field that is just for one highschool like rhs or ths or anyone elses. it is owned by the city of blfd. but still it is a fantastic stadium and getting better each year. now rhs has the field turf. just need to do something about the visitors side and they will have a great stadium for highschool football.

i agree with that but the difference with graham and bluefield,is that is every year not just a few years here and there. not taking anything away from rhs or ths. also not many stadiums in highschool football can match mitchell stadium. again granted it is not a field that is just for one highschool like rhs or ths or anyone elses. it is owned by the city of blfd. but still it is a fantastic stadium and getting better each year. now rhs has the field turf. just need to do something about the visitors side and they will have a great stadium for highschool football.

Ahh...the visitor’s side looks good to me. But my point of view is from across the field on the home side. lol Most high schools' visitor’s side is significantly inferior to the home side. The exceptions that I can recall: Mitchell Stadium and Legion Field (and the visitor side might as well be the home side there)...that’s about it.

I know the difference between the Graham-Beaver game, and the Tazewell-Richlands game. I would never compare the two. All that Bulldogs said was that the only other teams that get close to that attendence was RHS/THS.

i love it when someone makes a stupid post like this lmao.[/QUote)

Just stating the obvious, it's the guys coming on here arguing over about what happened in the 1960's that I find stupid.

I'll respectfully decline to participate in the "back and forth" smack talk, I'm getting too old for that crap. I would think that the board moderators would try to curb some of that kind of thing, rather than encourage it.

Edited by futbolking