Tazewell High School

Graham32

I bet a lot of schools in Tazewell Co. have asbestos...

May be something to that........last I heard 3 members of the senior class at Tazewell & a teacher had been diagnosed with cancer. I heard they think it may the ceiling in the gym.

are there any schools around here that don't have it that were active in the 80's? I know Grundy is/was eat up with the stuff...we used to do pull ups on the pipes in the locker rooms below the gym and they were insulated with it.

What ever it take the truth needs to come out about this issue. My concern is the students in the schools. Could there be a correlation between the students that have developed cancer @ THS and this issue? We as citizens ,and concerned parents of Taz. Co. must not let this issue be swept under the rug . I heard that the Daily Telegraph will be writing an article about this issue this coming week. Let us call our board members and demand a full investigation of this matter.

i heard that graham intermediate has aspestus or w/e in the ceilings and tazewell county will be closed on monday, dont quote me on this but try and find out the truth on this and let me know please if were closed or still on for monday

Asbestos insulation was used extensively from the 50's through the mid-80's...what was the last new school built in Tazewell Co.??? Graham Middle School...opened in the spring of '81...doesn't take a rocket scientist to put one and one together.

Has there been any large scale asbestos removal from Tazewell Co. schools that anyone here is aware of??? I know it is an expensive undertaking and if the TCSB was to undertake such action, they may be better off building new schools. This could be the first step into consolidating the three county high schools into two. I know WVVA had an interview with Brenda Lawson and she was lamenting over the school system's budget...and going from three to two would be looked at as a great benefit to the county by those who control the purse strings.

School official: Air quality good at five Tazewell facilities

By CHARLES OWENS

Bluefield Daily Telegraph

CEDAR BLUFF, Va. — The air quality at five Tazewell County elementary schools undergoing a large-scale renovation project is OK, School Superintendent Dr. Brenda Lawson said Monday.

Although school was canceled again Monday as a precautionary measure at Cedar Bluff Elementary School, an air-quality test at the school came back negative in all locations with the exception of a hallway in the eastern portion of the building.

“The air in all of the classrooms at Cedar Bluff were negative,†Lawson said. “The exception was a hallway in the eastern part of the building. And we haven’t done any work in the hallway. But the gentleman from OSHA (the Occupational Safety and Health Administration) saw an area, and because some of the tiles were removed, he asked that we have some of those tested. That area came back, and they found one (asbestos) fiber.â€

Lawson said she was contacted by OSHA officials Monday morning, and informed the school was safe for students and staff.

“Even though we knew it was just a trace, I felt like I would defer to the OSHA people,†Lawson said. “That is why Cedar Bluff is out. He (the OSHA representative) called this morning, and said you didn’t have to call off school. But I wanted to air on the side of caution to make sure by having those children and teachers return to school that it was safe without a doubt.â€

Lawson said the school systems’ emergency notification system was activated Monday afternoon to let parents know that Cedar Bluff Elementary will be back in normal session today. Air quality tests at four other schools included in the $8.9 million renovation project — Richlands Elementary, Tazewell Elementary, North Tazewell Elementary and Springville Elementary — also came back negative.

“I commend the parents and the staff for their patience in helping us work through this process, and I want to assure them that the work will continue at Cedar Bluff Elementary, and that every effort will be made by the construction people and those people that Tazewel County Public Schools employs to see that the project is complete, and the safety and well-being of our students and staff are not compromised.â€

The long-planned $8.7 million renovation project involves the construction new heating and air-conditioning systems, new windows and bathroom upgrades at the five elementary schools.

The school renovations are being financed through literary loan funds authorized by the Tazewell County School Board and the Tazewell County Board of Supervisors.

— Contact Charles Owens at cowens@bdtonline.com

Life has many choices---eternity has two

• 2 weeks later...

From what I have heard...of course this is all rumor, but another student has the same type of cancer as the Rasnick boy who played football which apparently is a pretty rare cancer from what I hear. If it is true then it is odd that 2 people my have the same type of rare cancer. Some type of research or whatever needs to be done to see if students are being exposed to something harmful.......of course this is all hear say or rumor.

Asbestos insulation was used extensively from the 50's through the mid-80's...what was the last new school built in Tazewell Co.??? Graham Middle School...opened in the spring of '81...doesn't take a rocket scientist to put one and one together.

Has there been any large scale asbestos removal from Tazewell Co. schools that anyone here is aware of??? I know it is an expensive undertaking and if the TCSB was to undertake such action, they may be better off building new schools. This could be the first step into consolidating the three county high schools into two. I know WVVA had an interview with Brenda Lawson and she was lamenting over the school system's budget...and going from three to two would be looked at as a great benefit to the county by those who control the purse strings.

I've been calling for the "three-into-two" consolidation ever since I was in high school.

The most major concern would be the location of the two schools. A close second would be regarding busing kids from the remotest parts of the county to the two new high schools. Aside from all the petty bickering about what name changes to make to the two schools, etc.

I've been calling for the "three-into-two" consolidation ever since I was in high school.

The most major concern would be the location of the two schools. A close second would be regarding busing kids from the remotest parts of the county to the two new high schools. Aside from all the petty bickering about what name changes to make to the two schools, etc.

Build one at the Divides, and the other at Pounding Mill. Call one East Tazewell and the other West Tazewell. Now all we have to fight over are team names and who coaches each team.

Build one at the Divides, and the other at Pounding Mill. Call one East Tazewell and the other West Tazewell. Now all we have to fight over are team names and who coaches each team.

If the name wasn't already taken, I'd say call the one at the Divides "Bluestone" HS and the one in Pounding Mill "Clinch" HS...but hey, why not have two "Bluestone" HS in VA, how many Patrick Henry's and Salem's are there already???

There is a Bluestone High School in Southside, maybe in Mecklenburg Co. near South Hill. But you're right, there can be more than one.

Yes, I know that's why I said "if the name wasn't already taken"...:D.

Or how about East River High School and call them the Mountaineers...

OH GOD! I CAN'T BELIEVE I JUST SAID THAT!!! LOL

And "Clinch" High School could be called the "River Jacks"...http://encyclopedia.thefreedictionary.com/River+jack