Exporting US dollars for abortion, but not democracy

tbgfan

How we can justify killing unborn children, by choice, but not liberating children, living under tyranny, who have no choice. God forgive us.

Obama lifts restrictions on abortion funding

Fri Jan 23, 2009 5:52pm EST

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - President Barack Obama on Friday lifted restrictions on U.S. government funding for groups that provide abortion services or counseling abroad, reversing a policy of his Republican predecessor George W. Bush, a spokesman said.

The Democratic president's decision was a victory for advocates of abortion rights on an issue that in recent years has become a tit-for-tat policy change each time the White House shifts from one party to the other.

When the ban was in place, no U.S. government funding for family planning services could be given to clinics or groups that offer abortion services or counseling in other countries even if the funds for those activities come from non-U.S. government sources.

Obama signed an executive order lifting the restrictions on Friday, a White House spokesman said.

It has been called the Mexico City Policy because it was unveiled at a United Nations conference there in 1984 and became one of the centerpiece social policies of the conservative administration of former President Ronald Reagan, a Republican.

Critics call it the "gag rule" because it also cuts funds to groups that advocate or lobby for the lifting of abortion restrictions, so they say it infringes on free speech. They also say it has reduced healthcare for some of the world's poorest women.

Former President Bill Clinton, a Democrat, rescinded the rule when he took office in January 1993 and his successor, Republican George W. Bush, reinstated it in January 2001.

Planned Parenthood, a health care provider and advocacy group for abortion rights, welcomed the move.

"With the stroke of a pen, President Obama has lifted the stranglehold on women's health across the globe," Cecile Richards, the group's president, said in a statement.

"No longer will health care providers be forced to choose between receiving family planning funding and restricting the health care services they provide to women."

CRITICS ON BOTH SIDES

When he reinstated the policy after the Clinton administration, Bush said taxpayer funds should not be used to pay for or advocate abortions.

Anti-abortion activists agreed with Bush and criticized the move to lift the ban on funding.

"When we wake up every morning to a deepening financial crisis, it is an insult to the American people to bail out the abortion industry," said Charmaine Yoest, president of Americans United for Life.

"Planned Parenthood is a billion-dollar company and they do not need additional resources to burden the American taxpayer," she added.

U.S. Senate Republican Leader Mitch McConnell also expressed disapproval. "I have long supported the Mexico City Policy and believe this administration's decision to be counter to our nation's interests," he said in a statement.

The United States spends more than $400 million on overseas family planning assistance each year.

Critics of the funding ban say the anti-abortion restrictions have resulted in huge drops for funding worldwide to organizations that provide family-planning services and basic healthcare. They say this means many women are deprived of contraception and other health services in poor countries, leading to back-alley abortions and deaths.

The Center for Reproductive Rights says, for example, that in Ethiopia and Lesotho, some nongovernmental organizations are no longer able to offer comprehensive and integrated healthcare services to patients suffering from HIV/AIDS.

Abortion rights opponents and groups who support the Mexico City Policy dispute the view that it has led to an increase of illegal abortions or deaths overseas.

Unlike Clinton and Bush, Obama did not act on the rule on the January 22 anniversary of Roe v. Wade, the landmark 1973 Supreme Court ruling that made abortions legal throughout the United States.

(Additional reporting by Ed Stoddard, editing by Anthony Boadle)

Life has many choices---eternity has two

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's hard to find an even ground on this subject. It will never be a 100% agreement with everyone. It's hard to tell someone what to do with their own body. I respect everyone's view on religion and their individual rights. I just can't say that abortion has to be 100% illegal. There are situations that aren't just black and white.

How we can justify killing unborn children, by choice, but not liberating children, living under tyranny, who have no choice. God forgive us.

Life has many choices---eternity has two

I told people they'd get the most liberal president and the most liberal country possible, but people were and are still to caught up in all the feel good hope and change speech.

There wasn't any substance to the hope, but it sounds good, and there certainly isn't much good to the change that's coming to America.

Morals, ethics? America seems to be much more concerned with having a few more $s in their pockets. Ironically that won't even be the case either.

This is only 3 days worth of it unfortunately.

I told people they'd get the most liberal president and the most liberal country possible, but people were and are still to caught up in all the feel good hope and change speech.

There wasn't any substance to the hope, but it sounds good, and there certainly isn't much good to the change that's coming to America.

Morals, ethics? America seems to be much more concerned with having a few more $s in their pockets. Ironically that won't even be the case either.

This is only 3 days worth of it unfortunately.

I feel you, brother.

This is one of the worst possible ways I could've envisioned the Obama presidency starting.

Abortion is the single-largest reason I vote Republican. Far beyond all others.

Guest BEAVERTAIL

Maybe Obama should have watched this before he made his decision. Best ever political ad IMO.

"In a Time of Deceit, Telling The Truth is a Revolutionary Act!"

This is what happens when the average American citizen is more interested in a HANDOUT or a promise to get FREE STUFF at the hand of the government, than they are morals. The moral decay in this country is rapidly increasing, the value of life is becoming more and more insignificant, and it will proceed to get worse.

Good honest, God fearing Americans should be ashamed of themselves for voting for a candidate because of what he "could do for them financially" despite the fact that the majority of them do not agree with his policies. Just goes to prove that money or HANDOUTS are much more important to the average person than their position or belief in their so called values. I wish the president all of the luck in the world, I disagree with most of his policies, but I hope our country prospers under his leadership. Nonetheless, I have enough sense to know that the lack of respect for human life is a road that will not lead to prosperity.

This is just one of the sweeping "CHANGES" that I saw coming and trust me it will get more and more interesting in the next 8 years. Why do I say 8 years? There is no way the brainwashed SHEEPLE of America will ever permit anyone, ANYONE, anyone, from dethroning the MESSIAH FROM HIS THRONE four years from now. The obsession with Barack Obama is unparalleled in American History, didn't ask for it either, I don't hold him accountable, I hold US the people.

I know that there are tons of situations and circumstances that can be used in the case of abortion, I personally, see it as Black and White. Abortion is murder, PERIOD, regardless of the circumstances, when one starts to look at circumstances, you are merely saying that MURDER IS OK if a certain set of conditions apply. That is a non decisive position and it is akin to fence straddling!

YOu sometimes Get what you pay for and trust me we are just witnessing the first nickel in the coffer............

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173

Edited by bucfan64

"In a Time of Deceit, Telling The Truth is a Revolutionary Act!"

This is what happens when the average American citizen is more interested in a HANDOUT or a promise to get FREE STUFF at the hand of the government, than they are morals. The moral decay in this country is rapidly increasing, the value of life is becoming more and more insignificant, and it will proceed to get worse.

Good honest, God fearing Americans should be ashamed of themselves for voting for a candidate because of what he "could do for them financially" despite the fact that the majority of them do not agree with his policies. Just goes to prove that money or HANDOUTS are much more important to the average person than their position or belief in their so called values. I wish the president all of the luck in the world, I disagree with most of his policies, but I hope our country prospers under his leadership. Nonetheless, I have enough sense to know that the lack of respect for human life is a road that will not lead to prosperity.

This is just one of the sweeping "CHANGES" that I saw coming and trust me it will get more and more interesting in the next 8 years. Why do I say 8 years? There is no way the brainwashed SHEEPLE of America will ever permit anyone, ANYONE, anyone, from dethroning the MESSIAH FROM HIS THRONE four years from now. The obsession with Barack Obama is unparalleled in American History, didn't ask for it either, I don't hold him accountable, I hold US the people.

I know that there are tons of situations and circumstances that can be used in the case of abortion, I personally, see it as Black and White. Abortion is murder, PERIOD, regardless of the circumstances, when one starts to look at circumstances, you are merely saying that MURDER IS OK if a certain set of conditions apply. That is a non decisive position and it is akin to fence straddling!

YOu sometimes Get what you pay for and trust me we are just witnessing the first nickel in the coffer............

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-1656880303867390173

If anyone voted for him for selfish reasons, sure they could be ashamed if they let money buy their vote, but there are millions of voters who voted for Obama that did so for the right reasons.

Our country has so many different religions that you cannot base all the government on one of them. Abortion is an awful thing, especially late term. But, if your wife or daughter was raped and impregnated by some scum of the earth, is it her duty to carry out this bastard child? Hell NO! You are being close minded and the world isn't black and white. There are some situations where abortions is appropriate, but still sad. You say that Murder is never ok, what if someone is threatening your life or your familys and you have the ability to protect your family by shooting him , would you do it? The Messiah? Anyway, you don't agree with his policies and that's fine, I didn't agree with most of Bush's, I put up with it for 8 years and it got us nowhere, now you can put up with Obama for hopefully 8 and we'll see if we are in better shape.

Guys, abortion has been legal for 36 years. We've had a republican president for 24 of those years but not one of them has gotten Roe vs. Wade overturned. They all make the promise on the campaign trail but when it comes down to it they know they don't have the power. I'm very much against abortion too but I'm not basing my vote on it. To do so would be naive because when the next election rolls around abortion will still be legal.

Not everyone that NEEDS help is looking for a handout. Think about the single mother of three making minimum wage...What happens when her two year old gets sick but she can't afford to take him to the hospital? It really amazes me when people get so fired up about abortion.... and then don't want to help the kids who didn't get aborted.

I voted for Obama because of what he promises to do for the country. Not what I think he will do for me financially. I have an ultra-conservative friend who's always complaining that Obama will raise his taxes to pay for all the stuff he wants to do... If you ask me, he's the one voting for financial reasons.

I don't consider myself to be conservative or liberal. I'm middle of the road. I vote for the candidate that I believe will do the best job. In my eyes Obama is the best presidential candidate we've had since I've been alive. It remains to be seen if he will be the best president.

If anyone voted for him for selfish reasons, sure they could be ashamed if they let money buy their vote, but there are millions of voters who voted for Obama that did so for the right reasons.

Our country has so many different religions that you cannot base all the government on one of them. Abortion is an awful thing, especially late term. But, if your wife or daughter was raped and impregnated by some scum of the earth, is it her duty to carry out this bastard child? Hell NO! You are being close minded and the world isn't black and white. There are some situations where abortions is appropriate, but still sad. You say that Murder is never ok, what if someone is threatening your life or your familys and you have the ability to protect your family by shooting him , would you do it? The Messiah? Anyway, you don't agree with his policies and that's fine, I didn't agree with most of Bush's, I put up with it for 8 years and it got us nowhere, now you can put up with Obama for hopefully 8 and we'll see if we are in better shape.

bush's policies kept the country safe for the remainder of his term. If there is a policy I didn't agree with with bush it was the lack of border control, that's a concern that America republican or democrat has failed at, but sometimes I'm not certain they really have a policy on illegal immigration in government. But overall he did a lot better than people think, presidents are really judged 50, 100 years later, not by present day citizens who often in human nature have a biased opinion of someone based on emotions, that said many wise people predict in the bigger scheme history will show bush to have been a good president.

Guys, abortion has been legal for 36 years. We've had a republican president for 24 of those years but not one of them has gotten Roe vs. Wade overturned. They all make the promise on the campaign trail but when it comes down to it they know they don't have the power. I'm very much against abortion too but I'm not basing my vote on it. To do so would be naive because when the next election rolls around abortion will still be legal.

Not everyone that NEEDS help is looking for a handout. Think about the single mother of three making minimum wage...What happens when her two year old gets sick but she can't afford to take him to the hospital? It really amazes me when people get so fired up about abortion.... and then don't want to help the kids who didn't get aborted.

I voted for Obama because of what he promises to do for the country. Not what I think he will do for me financially. I have an ultra-conservative friend who's always complaining that Obama will raise his taxes to pay for all the stuff he wants to do... If you ask me, he's the one voting for financial reasons.

I don't consider myself to be conservative or liberal. I'm middle of the road. I vote for the candidate that I believe will do the best job. In my eyes Obama is the best presidential candidate we've had since I've been alive. It remains to be seen if he will be the best president.

What he said.

To me, we have quite a few more pressing tasks to consider at the moment. Abortion is no new issue, it's been around for centuries, its been legal for forty years, and it would happen one way or another if it were illegal.

To each their own.

They haven't been able to overturn that but that doesn't mean people shouldn't care about using millions of tax funded $s for abortions and abortions in other countries. It seems the original complaint is more like "the left complains about the $s spent trying to help make the world safer and a better place for children in countries such as iraq, but they don't mind spending millions to fund abortions in other countries. Don't think that abortions don't happen tenfold under a liberal administration than a conservative 1.

Only a ?, but aside from "financial" promises, exactly what is it you think obama promises to do for this country? I read a lot of obama supporters all the time saying America's bad off and obama has answers, but I rarely ever read anyone state a specific problem, then state a solution obama offers.

It seems there's 2 types of financial consideration, what's really good for the economy, while limiting government, and maximizing everyone's potential to do and earn for themselves, which is more the conservative side, then the let government do for me and put $ in my pocket at the expense of the hardest working people in the country, with a big increase in government way of thinking.

Doesn't it seem odd to you that so many of the poorest, laziest, "never voted before" people in America overwhelmingly voted for obama? Not suggesting "everyone" who has financial hard times is lazy. But you know what I'm referring to.

Your friend is likely more concerned about things like wasting billions of $s making the country compliant with the green agenda, which is really nothing more than an extreme liberal agenda based on a fad, that is completely unnecessary.

Health care, education, and infrastructure. I guess part of that falls under the stimulus plan, so that's financial, but those are all things that are important to me.

You see, not everyone can do and earn for themselves in a way that will afford them the things they need without some help. My ultra-conservative friend seems to forget that he depended on food stamps to help support his wife and baby on $7 an hour. He's one of the hardest workers I know, and he makes a very good living now, but he's forgotten about the times when he wasn't capable of providing without help.

And honestly I've never heard him mention the "green agenda". He's more concerned about paying for "free health care".

The sitting president chooses the members of the Supreme Court. The very body that enacted Roe v. Wade, and the very body that can overturn it, and came within 1 vote of overturning it in 1991. We realize very little just how very much power the Supreme Court has. Oligarchy in its purest form. 9 people whose basic job is to interpret the laws of Congress as they apply to the Constitution. I've heard it argued convincingly that a law passed by Congress has no teeth until the Supreme Court has its say.

I bring this up in the light of abortion. People have came and left the Supreme Court, but that 5-4 majority still stands. All it would've taken for a majority unsympathetic to abortion to have come into power in the last 8 years would have been for octogenarian John Paul Stevens to retire/die. He's 89 years old. And I guarantee he'll retire within the year. As the other 4 justices in the bloc may retire in Obama's term, all of whom are into their 70s.

This election was CRUCIAL to the Republicans not as much because of McCain, but because of packing the court. It would've taken a court order for me to have voted for Obama. Partly because the man had a less-than-spotless past and some downright grubby associates (Blagojevich as the most recent example). Also partly because of the Supreme Court.

But as I said before, and we disagree on this point, I do base my vote greatly on abortion. 40 million dead fetuses in 36 years. Almost 7 times the number of Jews that Hitler ruthlessly slaughtered. I must say, I do not use any comparison to Hitler lightly. If there's one thing in this world I stand for and believe, it's this: abortion is the world's largest genocide. And it goes absolutely unnoticed by mainstream society.

Sorry for rambling.

bush's policies kept the country safe for the remainder of his term. If there is a policy I didn't agree with with bush it was the lack of border control, that's a concern that America republican or democrat has failed at, but sometimes I'm not certain they really have a policy on illegal immigration in government. But overall he did a lot better than people think, presidents are really judged 50, 100 years later, not by present day citizens who often in human nature have a biased opinion of someone based on emotions, that said many wise people predict in the bigger scheme history will show bush to have been a good president.

Wise.....don't think so. A lot of people who were "wise" thought Lincoln did an awful job. Many wise thought he did great both past and present. Whether it's now or later some things don't change. Bush kept us safe? He was a little late on 9-11. How about the poor black people in Louisiana, they didn't matter if they were safe or not for a week or so. Border control is an issue that needs to be addressed if not for anything but for drugs and terrorism. I usually vote democrat, but I also believe that if there were a candidate that had better ideas for our country, then I would vote for him even if he were green , independent, repub, or demo. There is no way you can say that Bush was a good president. It's a stretch to even call it fair. Anyway, that's my opinion and we won't agree on it.

Guest BEAVERTAIL
Bush kept us safe? He was a little late on 9-11. How about the poor black people in Louisiana, they didn't matter if they were safe or not for a week or so.

After this, I realize that we are wasting our time with this dude. I dont know to laugh, be angry, or actually feel sorry.

After this, I realize that we are wasting our time with this dude. I dont know to laugh, be angry, or actually feel sorry.

Yes you are wasting your time telling me that George did a good job and kept us all safe. You can feel sorry, sorry for yourself for believing the garbage you been putting on here.

To Refer to an innocent child as a BASTARD CHILD, shows the lack of consideration that a liberal as yourself gives to the life of a HUMAN BEING. If there was ever anything close minded it is your statement.

According to your theory you reserve the right to play God, if the conditions do not meet your approval, this is justification of murder based on principals that you justify. How can you say that life is precious but sometimes it is o.k. to abort a child?

Furthermore, you are incredibly out of touch, when you compare an INNOCNENT UNBORN CHILD TO a person that threatens the life of my family, one is a cold blooded murderer and the other is an INNOCENT CHILD.

I have no problem with punishing GUILTY persons, but I take offense to KILLING innocent children. You have no logically justifiable argument for your position, only liberal rhetoric.

By the way Christians make up the majority of persons of religion in America, however the last time I checked, Muslims, Buddhist, Daoist, Hindus and other major religions DENOUNCE the murder of unborn children. Don't pin this on Christianity, if anything it's something called COMMON SENSE.

It is true that there have been several Republican Presidents since Roe V Wade was passed, but THE PRESIDENT CANNOT OVERRULE THE SUPREME COURT. It takes a majority vote and there haven't been enough deaths or retirements from the court since then to allow a Republican President the right to appoint enough justices to actually overrule that decision. This is also called common sense.

Yes you are wasting your time telling me that George did a good job and kept us all safe. You can feel sorry, sorry for yourself for believing the garbage you been putting on here.

George Bush is not without blame, but.............................

For the record who DOWNSIZED THE MILITARY, TURNED DOWN THE ARRESTED OSAMA BIN LADEN, DECREASED MILITARY SPENDING AND CREATED THE HOUSING BUBBLE?

Good ol' Bill Clinton

Give credit where it is due, but the facts are the U.S. A. was not attacked after 911, in fact nobody had the balls to do it again based on the way we retaliated.

Deterrence, is a strong military philosophy, it does, did and will always prevent more hostile actions than it causes..............

Edited by bucfan64

Health care, education, and infrastructure. I guess part of that falls under the stimulus plan, so that's financial, but those are all things that are important to me.

You see, not everyone can do and earn for themselves in a way that will afford them the things they need without some help. My ultra-conservative friend seems to forget that he depended on food stamps to help support his wife and baby on $7 an hour. He's one of the hardest workers I know, and he makes a very good living now, but he's forgotten about the times when he wasn't capable of providing without help.

And honestly I've never heard him mention the "green agenda". He's more concerned about paying for "free health care".

Dave, I understand your position somewhat, but your friend used the system as it was intended as an arm up. He probably didn't abuse the situation, unfortunately there are many that do and the way the system is established the crooks, frauds and deadbeats will benefit as long as those in need receive payment. Therein is the problem, you can't let the little old lady do without just to keep the conman from getting his............ which is probably one factor that your friend isn't taking into consideration.

I too would love to get rid of the "handout" system and replace it with a more favorable Welfare system. But sadly enough, those in REAL need will do without, therefore, the government needs to do more to stop fraud and make it more difficult to manipulate the system. That is why I think items like the "green agenda", which gets its name for the money that it will generate for Al Gore and others like him, should be downsized and the money spent better in other directions of society.

We need to conserve and try to do more for the environment, but this carbon tax CRAP is part of a larger agenda that is riddled with conspiracy.

later

To Refer to an innocent child as a BASTARD CHILD, shows the lack of consideration that a liberal as yourself gives to the life of a HUMAN BEING. If there was ever anything close minded it is your statement.

According to your theory you reserve the right to play God, if the conditions do not meet your approval, this is justification of murder based on principals that you justify. How can you say that life is precious but sometimes it is o.k. to abort a child?

Furthermore, you are incredibly out of touch, when you compare an INNOCNENT UNBORN CHILD TO a person that threatens the life of my family, one is a cold blooded murderer and the other is an INNOCENT CHILD.

I have no problem with punishing GUILTY persons, but I take offense to KILLING innocent children. You have no logically justifiable argument for your position, only liberal rhetoric.

By the way Christians make up the majority of persons of religion in America, however the last time I checked, Muslims, Buddhist, Daoist, Hindus and other major religions DENOUNCE the murder of unborn children. Don't pin this on Christianity, if anything it's something called COMMON SENSE.

It is true that there have been several Republican Presidents since Roe V Wade was passed, but THE PRESIDENT CANNOT OVERRULE THE SUPREME COURT. It takes a majority vote and there haven't been enough deaths or retirements from the court since then to allow a Republican President the right to appoint enough justices to actually overrule that decision. This is also called common sense.

I'm not pinning it on any religion.

So your telling me that if your wife or daughter is raped and is impregnated , you would refuse her the right to abort a pregnancy wheter it's 8 hrs old or 2 weeks? I'm not playing GOD, noone can. I'm simply saying that this day and time bad things like that happen and it's wrong to tell a woman just because she is the one who carry's the child, she has to give birth to an unwanted fetus from an unwanted attack from an unwanted person.

Guest JJBrickface
I'm not pinning it on any religion.

So your telling me that if your wife or daughter is raped and is impregnated , you would refuse her the right to abort a pregnancy wheter it's 8 hrs old or 2 weeks? I'm not playing GOD, noone can. I'm simply saying that this day and time bad things like that happen and it's wrong to tell a woman just because she is the one who carry's the child, she has to give birth to an unwanted fetus from an unwanted attack from an unwanted person.

A few things...

1. You are ignorant if you blame the results of 9-11 on George W. Bush. What happened that day was a result of failed policies from the past 20 years. We let defense and intelligence system get lazy and outdated, you cant blame any one man for that.

2. Prior to Hurricane Katrina there were thousands of people who refused to leave New Orleans. The warnings were given far in advance and several just plainly refused to leave their homes. Many also forget the damage that the broken levee caused after the storm, so rescue conditions were not so simple as you may say. There is no doubt that the response could have been better planned out but once again you are blaming one man.

3. You may also forget that George W. Bush is against abortion with the exception of rape or incest!!!

Guest BEAVERTAIL

You may also forget that the communication progress was completely shut down during the storm. No one really knew the extent of the hurricane, media posted wrong stories, and many stories have know found to be extremely exaggerated. This was the first storm to completely shut down the mass communication system in an area, no cell phones, no internet, no landlines, no newspapers, no TV. People had no idea what to do and neither did the people on the ground trying to help. It was a first for all of the responders, and any president in that position.

A few things...

1. You are ignorant if you blame the results of 9-11 on George W. Bush. What happened that day was a result of failed policies from the past 20 years. We let defense and intelligence system get lazy and outdated, you cant blame any one man for that.

2. Prior to Hurricane Katrina there were thousands of people who refused to leave New Orleans. The warnings were given far in advance and several just plainly refused to leave their homes. Many also forget the damage that the broken levee caused after the storm, so rescue conditions were not so simple as you may say. There is no doubt that the response could have been better planned out but once again you are blaming one man.

3. You may also forget that George W. Bush is against abortion with the exception of rape or incest!!!

100% spot on. Three very valid points.

Can he handle the truth?

A few things...

1. you are ignorant if you think that I blamed it on him. I'm simply saying he did little with the information he had to stop it. I don't care about Clinton or anyone else. I was commenting on Bush. The clinton admin was gone, if he disagreed with what they done, why didn't he do something differently immediately.

2. I'm blaming his administration and he is the "CEO" of it. That's fine that people were too stupid or whatever to leave, but it is our governments duty to act quickly. Especially if they knew people were in the city. He didn't even go view the area until much later. It's called a heliocopter.

3. That's his opinion to be against abortion with the exception of rape and incest, I mean I'm sure the incest part is due to the possible deformaty of the child, if that's the case, there are other conditions that can be determined prior to birth that would cause deformity, does that make them ok too?