Old area football helmets

hogo_sportz

seems like when we played Lebanon in the late 80s they had Lebanon or Pioneers written on their helmet...kinda like the old school Bengals helmets before the stripes....or maybe I'm thinking of someone else...

You could be right. I can't read my own handwriting.. it's either an 87 or an 82. I'm guessing 82. I'll change it up.

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That Gate City helmet should be from around 94ish time frame. I cannot remember what color or logo their helmet had in the 80s when they wore the powder blue uniforms instead of royal blue. They transitioned from the helmet you just posted to the Devils with the pitchfork coming back under the word Devils that had been on there for many years before this year.

You could be right. I can't read my own handwriting.. it's either an 87 or an 82. I'm guessing 82. I'll change it up.

i could be wrong lol...might not even be thinking about the correct school...i've been looking around and cant seem to find one or a pic of one from that era...i have a friend that went to Lebanon that grad in 87 i'm going to ask him about it...pretty sure he has his yearbook.

GC had carolina and navy blue in the late 80's until the early 90's. We changed helmet logo's each year, but that logo (which was always my favorite) was in '94. There wasn't a white stripe on the helmet though, just the decal. We made it to the state championship that year after a 6-4 season and lost the the Partlow brothers and John Handley 12-7.

GC had carolina and navy blue in the late 80's until the early 90's. We changed helmet logo's each year, but that logo (which was always my favorite) was in '94. There wasn't a white stripe on the helmet though, just the decal. We made it to the state championship that year after a 6-4 season and lost the the Partlow brothers and John Handley 12-7.

I have an actual photo of this helmet and it was just confirmed to me that it was 1992. So apparently in 1992 they had this logo with the stripe. In 1994, you're saying it was the same logo and no stripe?

abingdon has had a few helmets in the past few years havent they??

Yes they have. I have one from early to mid 90's in the basement. It was navy, with 2 white stripes down the center, white facemask, and a Falcon looking sticker on it if I remember right. It was the ones we wore when I was there 94-98, but they started before then and ended soon after.

Speaking of the change, the above picture is probably when it switched to the light grey or silver with navy face mask, 2000.

Edited by falconfansrock
added last sentence

• 1 month later...

So, think back to Honaker, 1983.

In this image the helmets appear black. Was the logo and mask orange or white? Or was one orange and the other white? Or does anyone have any recollection?

honaker_83%5B1%5D.jpg

Looking back at old annuals I have, this appears to be a 1984 helmet. The tiger paw looks to be white on a black helmet. In pics their jerseys looked black with a white and orange stripes near the hem of the sleeve.

The 1983 helmet, pics in annual are black and white, appears to be black with the word Tigers printed in white, on the side.

The 1982 annual, pics are black and white, showing a plain helmet, nothing on it and it appears to be black.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Thanks for looking that up! That is a little strange though, that pic is straight out of a 1983 newspaper from when Honaker played Holston. I wonder if the yearbooks are cycled differently..or something? Either way, I certainly appreciate you helping me out!

How was the word "Tigers" written on the 1983 helmet you found?

Thanks for looking that up! That is a little strange though, that pic is straight out of a 1983 newspaper from when Honaker played Holston. I wonder if the yearbooks are cycled differently..or something? Either way, I certainly appreciate you helping me out!

How was the word "Tigers" written on the 1983 helmet you found?

You are going by the actual date of the game, where I believe the annual is for the school year ending 1983-84. So technically, I guess the pic you showed would be considered a 1983 helmet.

The word Tigers (I believe you would call them block letters) was printed in an upward direction with the T being at the bottom of the helmet and the rest of the letters moving up toward the top front of the helmet. The s at the end of Tigers looked almost like a 5 coming down and going back under the rest of the letters to make a line.

You are going by the actual date of the game, where I believe the annual is for the school year ending 1983-84. So technically, I guess the pic you showed would be considered a 1983 helmet.

The word Tigers (I believe you would call them block letters) was printed in an upward direction with the T being at the bottom of the helmet and the rest of the letters moving up toward the top front of the helmet. The s at the end of Tigers looked almost like a 5 coming down and going back under the rest of the letters to make a line.

How's this?

honaker_83.png

Honaker 1983

Thanks, if you could some how scan an image of the others and email them to me, that would be great. Don't go out of your way though, I understand if you're too busy.

One more question. Any idea who the coach was for Honaker in 79?

Edited by hogo_sportz

Richlands had some nice helments in the 90's from the BLUES on the side in the early part of the decade to the letter R with the word Tornado through it in the blue and silver helments to the R with the Tornado logo through it near the end of the decade.

How about the Richlands helmets that were white with a blue strip down the middle with the players number on each side. Much like the Alabama look. Does anyone remember these?

I remember. And yes, those uniforms (jersey & pants too) were definitely patterned after Alabama.

I remember. And yes, those uniforms (jersey & pants too) were definitely patterned after Alabama.

Wasn't Bruce Evans the coach then and a big Alabama fan?

Yes, Evans was the coach and I do remember someone saying he was an Alabama fan. That uniform is still my favorite. Though I never understood why, with Alabama being the inspiration, the helmet was white and not blue.

Yes, Evans was the coach and I do remember someone saying he was an Alabama fan. That uniform is still my favorite. Though I never understood why, with Alabama being the inspiration, the helmet was white and not blue.

If Evans was a 'Bama guy, why did RHS incorporate so many elements of the Auburn culture? (Specifically thinking about the "War Eagle" chant and the fact that he named one of his kids "Auburn.")