Old area football helmets

hogo_sportz

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My helmet history project has become even more beefed since the last post on here over a year ago.

Check it out and please let me know of any inaccuracies. Pass along descriptions or pictures of ones I don't have.

http://hogoheegee.com/hogo-history/helmet-history.html

They are now broken down into the Hogo, Region C, Region D, and Region IV (Predominantly just focusing on the Southwest District)

On the Richlands you only have 2 on there, in 98 I know we had a helmet much like the one they wear now except the R was very blocky I will have to look and see if I have a photo somewhere the lightning R that is on now I think came around somewhere in 2003 or 204

As far as I can remeber back on the helment history of Richlands-

Early 90's-93- Solid Navy helments, solid navy facemask with BLUES as the logo, kind of Italized with a line under it, like the NY Giants logos of 80's

94- Same helment and facemasks. Logo was a large R with the world TORNADO overlaping it inside an oval.

95- Helment changed to Silver, facemask Blue, Logo the same with 3 stripes on the top, Blue, White, Blue

96-98- Helment back to Blue, White facemask, Block R with a Tornado logo overlaping R.

99-00- Helment Blue, facemask White, Block R logo, no Tornado.

01-02- Helment Blue, facemask White, BLUES with a line under, one white stripe on top.

03- Helment Blue, facemask White, BLUES without line under, one white stripe on top.

I think this is correct, anybody feel free to add to it or correct.

As far as I can remeber back on the helment history of Richlands-

Early 90's-93- Solid Navy helments, solid navy facemask with BLUES as the logo, kind of Italized with a line under it, like the NY Giants logos of 80's

94- Same helment and facemasks. Logo was a large R with the world TORNADO overlaping it inside an oval.

95- Helment changed to Silver, facemask Blue, Logo the same with 3 stripes on the top, Blue, White, Blue

96-98- Helment back to Blue, White facemask, Block R with a Tornado logo overlaping R.

99-00- Helment Blue, facemask White, Block R logo, no Tornado.

01-02- Helment Blue, facemask White, BLUES with a line under, one white stripe on top.

03- Helment Blue, facemask White, BLUES without line under, one white stripe on top.

I think this is correct, anybody feel free to add to it or correct.

Does the local Richlands newspaper have microfilm somewhere? This would allow me to access pictures which makes remaking a lot of these much, much simpler.

It just hit me, you dont have any Twin Valley helmets! I cant remember the details but,

Their original design 02-?

Silver helmet w/ black mask not sure on helmet stripes, im thinking 3 side by side purple white purple

next they had basically the same thing but w/ the K-State logo in black(its on the schedules page on this site)

I havent seen TV play football in several years so I dont know what they wear now

• 3 months later...

For years Pound wore a black helmet with white cat paws

Like a Honaker/Clemson paw? Facemask color? And what years?

Here is my old Grundy helmet from 1987....and some game cleats...lol.

I'm assuming that's a navy blue helmet? Looks kinda black in the picture.

Do you know the relative lifespan of that helmet and the current helmet?

Like the Honaker paw but can't pinpoint years but it was back around when I graduated in 1991

I think they switched to dark navy blue in 1985...before that they were yellow...which is what you see here with my helmet...it's just a painted version of the yellow...pretty sure they were yellow with a blue stripe and yellow face mask before that.

I will have to do some looking around in my yearbooks and stuff to see if i can get an accurate time line for you.

I think they switched to dark navy blue in 1985...before that they were yellow...which is what you see here with my helmet...it's just a painted version of the yellow...pretty sure they were yellow with a blue stripe and yellow face mask before that.

I will have to do some looking around in my yearbooks and stuff to see if i can get an accurate time line for you.

http://helmethistory.tumblr.com/post/8522645918/grundy

I added the two. Close?

Powell Valley's helmet from 86-88 is wrong on the hogo website. The stripes on the middle of the helmet were not white on the outside and red in the middle. The stripes were red on the outside and white in the middle. I was on the team during those years and we all had to place the decals on the helmets ourselves every year. I don't ever recall the red in the middle and white on the outside. It could have been at some time, but definitely not during 86-88. The 86-88 helmet was also the 85 (2nd state title) helmet.

Powell Valley's helmet from 86-88 is wrong on the hogo website. The stripes on the middle of the helmet were not white on the outside and red in the middle. The stripes were red on the outside and white in the middle. I was on the team during those years and we all had to place the decals on the helmets ourselves every year. I don't ever recall the red in the middle and white on the outside. It could have been at some time, but definitely not during 86-88. The 86-88 helmet was also the 85 (2nd state title) helmet.

Cool, thanks.

the blue looks good...the yellow is more of a pac man yellow on the older one.

and the one in my avatar is what the helmets SHOULD look like...lol...but they have never used them.

I don't have Pacman yellow in my pallete, lol. More orange or more yellow?

I tried out a retro Grundy concept helmet for kicks..

grundy_concept.png

Edited by hogo_sportz

I don't have Pacman yellow in my pallete, lol. More orange or more yellow?

I tried out a retro Grundy concept helmet for kicks..

grundy_concept.png

thats cool!

its a brighter yellow more towards the color of a pac man game lol...dont know anything else to use as a comparison....its more yellow and less gold.