Beavers Update

Bulldogs52

Guest lookoutmountain

Buzzsaw hit the nail on the head. CCD is a private school and this school is very expensive. This means the majority of their players are going to be pretty intelligent kids because their parents are placing a high price on education and the academic standars at this school will be pretty rigourous which will train kids to think and use their heads. Because of that, their kids follow schemes, coaching, and learn stuff well and you will see few of the discipline penalites like off sides, motion's, etc. The Beavers can certainly match up with them physically. CCDS's offensive and defensive lines ARE NOT as good as Gate City's. Trust me on that. Gate City will be much more physical, BUT...the difference is the athletes at all of the other positions not on the line of scrimmage which CCDS definanlty has more of compared to Gate City. The Coach at CCDS has been there about 20 years and they are always a well coached, fundamentally sound team. CCDS is the toughest regular season game of the season, but only slightly tougher than Gate City.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just found out marcus rolled his ankle AND has a concussion.... he should be ok though

If he rolled his ankle, it didn't happen in the game. He left the game due to a concussion.

I think the "rolled ankle" is "coach-speak" to give Gate City something to think about in two weeks...:rolleyes:...

I hate the injuries for Marcus and Levi. Hopefully Marcus will be back for Gate City. Levi probably not for a while. Lilly's performance had to be one of the best ever at Mitchell Stadium, and that I have ever seen. All heart!!!!

CCD is a well coached and fundamental team good luck to them.

I wasn't at the game, but I live in Charlotte and I'm familiar with Charlotte Country Day. It sounded to me like pounding the ball in the second half was more effective against them than anything that Bluefield was doing in the first half. Possibly their speed was neutralized by the Beavers getting back to the ground game up the middle? I don't know, just asking.

Congrats to the Beavers for gutting it out with the two critical injuries. That's hard for any team to overcome. Good luck the rest of the way.

I was gonna ask how many Jake Lillys played for Blfd. That name was mentioned on virtually every play last night. He is certainly some athlete. I'm sure CCD was talking about this young man and his efforts after the game last night.

What a great game to travel to watch. I was hoping that Bluefield could have pulled it out but it wasn't meant to be. But they never quit.

As someone stated earlier in the thread. Give me a team full of Jake Lilly's and Bluefield would win the states easily. The kid is something else. IMO he was the best player on the field for either team.

Seems to me the game was decided on the lines. Unfortunately it seemed that Bluefields OL couldn't protect the QB early, and their DL couldn't get enough pressure on the CCDS QB.

If Bluefield wants to schedule more North Carolina teams, they should look into Mt. Airy, North Surry, East Surry, and maybe even West Stokes for future teams to play. All mentioned teams are with in 2 hours of Bluefield. Plus, they're closer in school size.

After watching the game last night, and seeing how well Bluefield played a very tough opponent, I'd say Bluefield could play and be competitive with over 80% of the teams in NC. [even the 3A teams. And some 4A teams] They should just stay away from the large city teams. Unless they just want the experience.

Lastly, I'm glad the Charlotte fans were courteous. Just about all of Charlotte schools are notorious for having the most obnoxious fans in the state. They think they are better than everyone else because they live in Charlotte. And as my son and I pulled into Mitchell Stadium and saw the half million dollar custom coach sitting there from Charlotte, I thought to myself that I hope they're not like the usual fan base from Charlotte. Glad to see they weren't.

My prayers are with Beckett and Patterson--praying they mend quickly and are back out on the field for the Beavers before long.

Lilly was a one man show for the Beavers last night when his number was called to be the QB. Hopefully he won't be their total running game and offensive weapon, because he will soon be the one with the target on his back every play.

Good job Beavers--

Kudos to the towel thrower who captured the squirrel--

Life has many choices---eternity two

he tagged the exact spot at the top of the flag pole 2 times in a row on extra points.

Private schools usually have good kickers. Saw this kid in a game against Greater ATL Christian School. Before the game, he was getting some good "hits".....you knew he would be kicking somewhere after high school.

http://www.uoflsports.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/philpott_chris00.html

Edited by trublue

Guest lookoutmountain

Hey Carmike, you are right on so many of the Charlotte fans being a bit obnoxious with the thought that their football is better than anywhere in the state, but the thing is....it's not. The best football in North Carolina is played in the Fayetteville/Rockingham-Richmond County/Scotland County area and it's been that way since the 1960's. Even with the years of Charlotte Indy's dominance of state titles, the schools that were 2nd best throught 8th best were composed largely of teams I mentioned from the area above. From South View of Hope Mills to 71st High, the new Jack Britt, Richmond County, Scotland County and Douglas Byrd back in their hay days, this area has as many Div 1 players and state titles per capita than any region in the state, and the history and tradition of this region is unparalleled. Even with Charlotte Indy's recent success in the last 10 years, it doesn't compare to Rockingham-Richmond Senior historically.

Hey Carmike, you are right on so many of the Charlotte fans being a bit obnoxious with the thought that their football is better than anywhere in the state, but the thing is....it's not. The best football in North Carolina is played in the Fayetteville/Rockingham-Richmond County/Scotland County area and it's been that way since the 1960's. Even with the years of Charlotte Indy's dominance of state titles, the schools that were 2nd best throught 8th best were composed largely of teams I mentioned from the area above. From South View of Hope Mills to 71st High, the new Jack Britt, Richmond County, Scotland County and Douglas Byrd back in their hay days, this area has as many Div 1 players and state titles per capita than any region in the state, and the history and tradition of this region is unparalleled. Even with Charlotte Indy's recent success in the last 10 years, it doesn't compare to Rockingham-Richmond Senior historically.

Well said. You cannot find better football in the state of North Carolina than in Fayetteville. Independence and Butler are right up there, yet Fayetteville holds its own.

I'd love to see Bluefield play more teams from NC. Any excuse to go watch them play is fine with me.

Great game I have to say that the bluefield fans were class acts last night i do not get to go to many of the bluefeild games but after last night and how great the fans and people were Ill try to make it back every time the blues are not playing.

Well said. You cannot find better football in the state of North Carolina than in Fayetteville. Independence and Butler are right up there, yet Fayetteville holds its own.

I'd love to see Bluefield play more teams from NC. Any excuse to go watch them play is fine with me.

I was at ft. bragg around '87 and they had a high school, 71st if I'm correct, who had the aaa or aaaa title from the previous season and was highly ranked then.

I agree about the mt. airy, surry co. schools, that's less than 2 hours, hardly 90 min. and really good competition closer to bluefield's size, I had read that mt. airy and bluefield actually talked about a game but the details couldn't be worked out.

Bluefield will likely have at least 2 games to fill with rcb likely finished after this season and assuming that they and ccds don't schedule any more games at this time.

I wasn't at the game, but I live in Charlotte and I'm familiar with Charlotte Country Day. It sounded to me like pounding the ball in the second half was more effective against them than anything that Bluefield was doing in the first half. Possibly their speed was neutralized by the Beavers getting back to the ground game up the middle? I don't know, just asking.

Congrats to the Beavers for gutting it out with the two critical injuries. That's hard for any team to overcome. Good luck the rest of the way.

I was thinking about their success in the 3rd and 4th quarters on o late last night, it was surprising because I thought they were really gonna be able to tee off on bluefield when bluefield went to the sandlot style football just hiking the ball to lilly most of the time, but then that's the crazy thing about it, that's exactly what I was talking about when I wrote that ccds excelled against schemes and plays and formations and was shutting bluefield down overall in the 1st 2 quarters. But when bluefield went to a more brute force, sandlot type of o in the 3rd and 4th, a lot of that advantage was nullified.

Certainly they had a number of plays where they dropped lilly for - yardage but then obviously there were many where bluefield was successful.

Perhaps that was a big lesson on how to play a team that plays much better football scheme wise, toss out the more complicated playbook and just add lib. If they physically match up, there should be some success.

I was gonna ask how many Jake Lillys played for Blfd. That name was mentioned on virtually every play last night. He is certainly some athlete. I'm sure CCD was talking about this young man and his efforts after the game last night.

were the teams respectful after the game, it seemed their # 22 was sort of angry at lilly late in the game?

were the teams respectful after the game, it seemed their # 22 was sort of angry at lilly late in the game?

That's because Lilly ran over #22 for most of the second half...LOL...

I was thinking about their success in the 3rd and 4th quarters on o late last night, it was surprising because I thought they were really gonna be able to tee off on bluefield when bluefield went to the sandlot style football just hiking the ball to lilly most of the time, but then that's the crazy thing about it, that's exactly what I was talking about when I wrote that ccds excelled against schemes and plays and formations and was shutting bluefield down overall in the 1st 2 quarters. But when bluefield went to a more brute force, sandlot type of o in the 3rd and 4th, a lot of that advantage was nullified.

Certainly they had a number of plays where they dropped lilly for - yardage but then obviously there were many where bluefield was successful.

Perhaps that was a big lesson on how to play a team that plays much better football scheme wise, toss out the more complicated playbook and just add lib. If they physically match up, there should be some success.

I can't recall which famous coach said " You learn nothing from a win but learn a books worth from a loss". I believe last night might just be one of those situations.

I can't recall which famous coach said " You learn nothing from a win but learn a books worth from a loss". I believe last night might just be one of those situations.

As a wise old football coach once said. "Football plays do not win football games, football players do"

The Beavers have some football players! What Jake Lilly did last night was simply incredible! I have never seen such an effort from one player in my life.

Once Marcus and Levi heal up and can rejoin the team the Beavers should be a force to be reckoned with in AA in late November and early December.

I can't recall which famous coach said " You learn nothing from a win but learn a books worth from a loss".

If this is true, I know a coach who is working on his PhD this year...:rolleyes:...

The people I spoke to were really complimentary of it.

here's a good photo album of the game from their athletic site

http://scottsshots.smugmug.com/Charlotte-Counry-Day-Varsity/Charlotte-Country-Day-2009/Bluefield-Game/9672421_XP9AS#653143215_Gysxa-A-LB

there was a much bigger crowd by the 2nd quarter, I'm guessing a lot of people didn't realize the game started at 7 instead of 7:30.

The people I spoke to were really complimentary of it.

here's a good photo album of the game from their athletic site

http://scottsshots.smugmug.com/Charlotte-Counry-Day-Varsity/Charlotte-Country-Day-2009/Bluefield-Game/9672421_XP9AS#653143215_Gysxa-A-LB

there was a much bigger crowd by the 2nd quarter, I'm guessing a lot of people didn't realize the game started at 7 instead of 7:30.

Those were pretty nice pictures.

From what I saw of those Jake Lilly was in almost everyone of those pictures.

He must have been all over the field last night.