Graham to Mountain Empire?

futbolking

If you think Graham would've been able to compete with Radford, Giles or Floyd for the past 3 or 4 years...you are sadly mistaken...maybe 5 or 6 years ago, they probably could've competed and most likely would have beaten these teams, but not lately....

Your right Graham probably wouldn't has been successful in competing against those teams the last few years. In saying that, I believe the TRD would help them stay more competitive and would be more of a challenge for them.

Life has many choices---eternity two

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Graham wants to go, they'll go.. It doesn't matter if any of the other schools are opposed or not. Graham has the numbers to justify the move. The state has tried to make them drop for years, if Graham wants to go, they will go.

They won't dominate anything, however.

Will be middle of the pack in most sports.

I think the tennis and soccer teams should compete well in the region, although Radford's girls own region C soccer, and although the G-Girls have gotten pretty good, they are not even close to Radford.

Graham's boys soccer will compete pretty well with Radford and Galax in the region, but I would give both of those teams an edge over Graham.

They should compete pretty well in basketball at a regional level.

Not much change in baseball...middle of pack or worse....Grayson has a great baseball tradition and FC not too shabby either.

I think they'll be a good fit.

On the bright side, maybe their presence will actually improve the caliber of football in the MED and with FC becoming more competitive each year, who knows what could happen....if Graham continues to play Richlands, Tazewell, Bluefield each year and schedule a couple of quality out of district opponents they may change the perception of MED football....

Would be great if Graham would pick up the likes of a Giles, Radford, Floyd, GW or Gate City to fill out the rest of their schedule.

Your right Graham probably wouldn't has been successful in competing against those teams the last few years. In saying that, I believe the TRD would help them stay more competitive and would be more of a challenge for them.

Life has many choices---eternity two

I agree....better competition would only make them better...

I think they would be more competitive in the MED right now and it would be a better fit for them...maybe they could schedule some tough out of district opponents.

Hears a couple things to consider. With today's economy, the #1 factor in moving/switching districts is money. The state of VA is making major cuts and teachers are/will be laid of in some counties. Traveling for sports must be under consideration. No way level of competition will be considered by any administration. Therefore, the MED or Hogo is the only choices for Graham.

Secondly, if Marion (788) Richlands (781) and Abingdon (960) are allowed to play in single A, then we have alot of problems. How could any of these teams be in a district with schools that have l200 to even 500 stiudents? Radford (439) won region C and the semis in football this year. That's alot less than those schools. If they drop, then why can't patrick (768) and Martisville (781)?

I agree with Graham, Gundy, and tazwell dropping. They will be on and keep an even playing field.

No way the others should be allowed to drop. At least not without making a major change to the division set up.

Hears a couple things to consider. With today's economy, the #1 factor in moving/switching districts is money. The state of VA is making major cuts and teachers are/will be laid of in some counties. Traveling for sports must be under consideration. No way level of competition will be considered by any administration. Therefore, the MED or Hogo is the only choices for Graham.

Secondly, if Marion (788) Richlands (781) and Abingdon (960) are allowed to play in single A, then we have alot of problems. How could any of these teams be in a district with schools that have l200 to even 500 stiudents? Radford (439) won region C and the semis in football this year. That's alot less than those schools. If they drop, then why can't patrick (768) and Martisville (781)?

I agree with Graham, Gundy, and tazwell dropping. They will be on and keep an even playing field.

No way the others should be allowed to drop. At least not without making a major change to the division set up.

You made the case for richlands to drop in first part of what you said.

I agree...if the state allowed lee county to drop several years ago with an enrollment of over 1000...they will certainly allow richlands, abingdon and marion to drop....there are no AA teams nearby to play if the others drop...it would be a financial burden on these schools to stay AA.

I agree...if the state allowed lee county to drop several years ago with an enrollment of over 1000...they will certainly allow richlands, abingdon and marion to drop....there are no AA teams nearby to play if the others drop...it would be a financial burden on these schools to stay AA.
Lee High (not county, there is another high school in Lee County, Thomas Walker) hasn't got 1000 students. They are actually just about legit Single A sized. Probably just over 700 (9-12) or just shy. About the size of many Region B schools such as Clarke county.

Lee (not county) High did not have an enrollment over 1000, it was around 850 or so I believe at that time, but not over 1000, and they were granted hardship. Richlands and Marion possibly, but don't see Abingdon getting anything like that to drop.

Lee (not county) High did not have an enrollment over 1000, it was around 850 or so I believe at that time, but not over 1000, and they were granted hardship. Richlands and Marion possibly, but don't see Abingdon getting anything like that to drop.

Enrollment has also dropped considerably too.

Lee High was having travel problems. Richlands, Marion, and Abingdon I would say have travel issues.

My thoughts...

1) Rivalries won't die...Graham will continue to play Tazewell and Richlands as non-district games for as long as those three schools are open.

2) "Watering down the schedule" - somewhat, however, the district part of Graham's schedule has typically been the "weaker" part of Graham's schedule for many years...with the exception of Richlands. However, as I stated above, Graham will continue to play Richlands and Tazewell, as well as Bluefield. Fortunatley, they will have more options for the other two games now and will likely fill them with "worthy" opponents such as Giles, George Wythe, Gate City, Radford, etc... They won't be adding any Twin Valleys or Montcalms to their non-district schedule.

3) In football, the MED would be Graham's to lose every year. Grayson Co. has been the kingpin in the MED for many years. Fort Chiswell has only recently (last two years) gotten to a competitive point and I seriously don't see that being a long-lived thing...they seem to have had a good run of kids the last couple of years.

4) As for other sports, yes, Graham will be more competitive than they are in the SWD and Class AA. Not saying they will win the district every year in every sport but they won't be getting "blown out" as much either.

6) As far as travel goes for Graham, by moving to the MED, their longest road trip would be 72 miles as opposed to 92 miles. Also, the average roadtrip distance will be reduced by 10 miles from 58 miles to 48 miles by moving to the MED.

5) The cut-off for Class AA/Class A is 755/754. Marion (759), Richlands (795), Abingdon (956), and Carroll Co. (1175) are all still AA. I don't see the VHSL granting "travel hardship" for any of these schools, especially considering a) they are all currently in the same district; b) a district may remain intact with four schools.

6) As mentioned above, the AA/A cutoff is 755/754...Lee High has an enrollment of 728 and is a legitimate Class A school. The year they were allowed to drop, their enrollment number was 812 but they were able to prove "travel hardship".

7) I'm surprised Tazewell has not requested to be placed in Class A as well. At 717 students, they are a legitimate Class A. With the exception of baseball, they have shown they are no longer competitive in Class AA either.

8) Once all the other schools in SWVA drop to Class A, I'd like to see some significant redistricting in both Regions C & D. It would take cooperation from both regions and all schools but I really think a new set-up could be created to ease travel concerns and make districts more balanced, both competitively and enrollment-wise.

enrollemnt for 2011 should put richlands and marion below the cut...if they keep dropping like they have been ...

Doesn't matter for this next R&R period...the 2011 numbers wouldn't come into play until the 2013 R&R period.

Here are the numbers used for the 2011...

http://www.vhsl.org/files/rr-Sept_30-membership-figures.pdf

THings are about to get even crazier in VHSL. I think we can all understand that money and traveling is going to be an issue. There needs to be drastic adjustments made. You can't just allow teams with 700-1000 to play schools that are 200-500. This discussion that we are having may very well be what impacts a "new aligment" in vhsl.

Again, if Richlands and Marion drop, then Piedmont schools should be allowed to do the same. There would essentially be a new single A that ranges from 0-900 in enrollment. As for the orginial topic of Graham and Grundy, I think they would fit in nicely with the single A schools in swva. Enrollment wise and competition wise.

THings are about to get even crazier in VHSL. I think we can all understand that money and traveling is going to be an issue. There needs to be drastic adjustments made. You can't just allow teams with 700-1000 to play schools that are 200-500. This discussion that we are having may very well be what impacts a "new aligment" in vhsl.

Again, if Richlands and Marion drop, then Piedmont schools should be allowed to do the same. There would essentially be a new single A that ranges from 0-900 in enrollment. As for the orginial topic of Graham and Grundy, I think they would fit in nicely with the single A schools in swva. Enrollment wise and competition wise.

Piedmont schools don't have to play six Class A teams to fill out a schedule.

When Graham and Grundy drop it will put the teams left in Swd at a disadvantage with football when it comes to points. With traviling Distance to other AA schools they will be forced to play singal A schools to fill out their schdules. I know they already have to do in now but they will be losing more points when Graham and Grundy drop.

just saying, if they petition i think they would allow it.

See my point #5...

5) The cut-off for Class AA/Class A is 755/754. Marion (759), Richlands (795), Abingdon (956), and Carroll Co. (1175) are all still AA. I don't see the VHSL granting "travel hardship" for any of these schools, especially considering a) they are all currently in the same district; b) a district may remain intact with four schools.

When Graham and Grundy drop it will put the teams left in Swd at a disadvantage with football when it comes to points. With traviling Distance to other AA schools they will be forced to play singal A schools to fill out their schdules. I know they already have to do in now but they will be losing more points when Graham and Grundy drop.

That doesn't matter and won't be a consideration to the R&R committee.

Besides there would be no "disadvantage" when it comes to points.

The district champion will still get an automatic bid into the playoffs.

And with the expanded playoffs, six teams in each division will get into the post season. With Graham and Grundy going to Class A, there would then only be 16 schools in Region IV...eight in each division...meaning six of the eight teams in each division would make the playoffs.

It will actually make it EASIER for Region IV teams to make the post season. You may not be the highest seed but at least you'd be in...and if you're team is good enough, that won't really matter.

Piedmont schools don't have to play six Class A teams to fill out a schedule.

Who's playing 6 A schools? If they are from WV, they are not the same as playing D 6 schools in VA. Will single A teams not play SWD teams? Carroll was playing Floyd but dropped them due to the pioints system.

Am I correct when I say that 9 teams are in region IV D3 as it stands now? Losing Graham and Grundy would mean there is only 7. So, every team makes the playoffs except 1?????

Here is another thought. If all of the SWD teams drop eventually, What will happen to the currect region IV? What about D 3? Cave is the only D3 school in the River Ridge. That would leave patrick, Tunstall, martinsville, and Cave. Is that all? Like I say, big changes may be on the horizon.

That doesn't matter and won't be a consideration to the R&R committee.

Besides there would be no "disadvantage" when it comes to points.

The district champion will still get an automatic bid into the playoffs.

And with the expanded playoffs, six teams in each division will get into the post season. With Graham and Grundy going to Class A, there would then only be 16 schools in Region IV...eight in each division...meaning six of the eight teams in each division would make the playoffs.

It will actually make it EASIER for Region IV teams to make the post season. You may not be the highest seed but at least you'd be in...and if you're team is good enough, that won't really matter.

So Richlands goes 10-0 and loses home field advantage to an 8-2 or 7-3 team.... and that's not a disadvantage?

So Richlands goes 10-0 and loses home field advantage to an 8-2 or 7-3 team.... and that's not a disadvantage?

I agree with big d it is a big disadvantage and who is not to say that when Graham and grundy drop that the VHSL brings in another region 3 distric to Region 4 just like they did when the Highlands distric broke up.

So somebody help me with some math. If a AA team beats a AA team how many points do they get for the win, and how many for the losing teams' wins over other teams?

And in the same respect how many does a AA team get for a win over a "A" team and each of their wins?

If they are good enough to go 10-0, it shouldn't matter where they play...