Graham to Mountain Empire?

futbolking

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who is not to say that when Graham and grundy drop that the VHSL brings in another region 3 distric to Region 4 just like they did when the Highlands distric broke up.

That is a possibility down the road but not likely for the next R&R period.

In the future, I can see the Blue Ridge being moved to Region IV with the River Ridge, Piedmont, and SWD. I can also see Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Pulaski Co. being moved to the SWD with Carroll Co., Abingdon, Marion, and Richlands while the other three River Ridge teams (Salem, Cave Spring, and Hidden Valley) "re-join" the Blue Ridge District with Northside, William Byrd, Staunton River, Lord Botetourt, Alleghany, and Rockbridge.

But that likely won't be until the 2013-14 R&R period and by then, Richlands, Tazewell, and Marion may have legit Class A numbers. Then Abingdon could possibly apply for "travel hardship" and make the drop to Class A and Carroll Co. will be back with old New River District rivals Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Pulaski Co.

what if they have to play another 10-0 team?

If the other 10-0 team has a higher rating (which they should if they played in the River Ridge) then that wouldn't be any different than it is now. Remember, Cave Spring didn't have as good a regular season record as Richlands this season but held home field over Richlands anyway...

Am I correct when I say that 9 teams are in region IV D3 as it stands now? Losing Graham and Grundy would mean there is only 7. So, every team makes the playoffs except 1?????

No, you aren't correct. Since it would be a new R&R cycle, there would be new divisions. With 16 teams in Region IV, there would be eight teams in each division...so two teams in each division would not make the playoffs...

No, you aren't correct. Since it would be a new R&R cycle, there would be new divisions. With 16 teams in Region IV, there would be eight teams in each division...so two teams in each division would not make the playoffs...

so...Abingdon and someone else lol.

In the future, I can see the Blue Ridge being moved to Region IV with the River Ridge, Piedmont, and SWD. I can also see Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Pulaski Co. being moved to the SWD with Carroll Co., Abingdon, Marion, and Richlands

Can't believe they will go for that much travel between schools.

If the G-Men and Grundy have in their minds to do this don't see how they can be denyed.

Good luck hope the best for both schools.

As far as Richlands if they have no choice but to play more single A's they will have to try to play the very best they can find that can give them the most point value.

Not sure why Richlands is so worried about points. The easiest place to make the playoffs is Region IV D3. It will get even easier when G and G drop to single A.

If this is going to cause a domino effect, and Abingon ends up in single with numbers over 900, then that is totally unfair. You guys will agree if Abingdon begins to get better in all sports. A school that size "should" dominate schools half their size.

This will be very intresting to follow in the weeks/years to come. How the VHSL handles William FLeming and PH's request will be a good indicator how they will handle the larger SWD teams when they apply to play down due to location.

Not sure why Richlands is so worried about points. The easiest place to make the playoffs is Region IV D3. It will get even easier when G and G drop to single A.

Why are they thinking about points? If any team can generate a winning season I'm sure they all would like to think they had a chance to have home field advantage in playoffs, it does make a difference. This will be the biggest impact this has on Richlands why wouldn't we think about that? Just saying have to look at playing teams that can supply best points.

What kind of points can Floyd bring to the table?

Maybe, maybe not, as one D-4 team will drop down to D-3...at this point it looks like it would be Abingdon going to D-3 since they currently are the smallest D-4 school in Region IV.

If this is going to cause a domino effect, and Abingon ends up in single with numbers over 900, then that is totally unfair. You guys will agree if Abingdon begins to get better in all sports. A school that size "should" dominate schools half their size.

Abingdon can not "dominate" the better Class A schools in Regions C and D...especially in football and/or basketball.

This will be very intresting to follow in the weeks/years to come. How the VHSL handles William FLeming and PH's request will be a good indicator how they will handle the larger SWD teams when they apply to play down due to location.

I don't see the VHSL allowing PH and WF to play down...still too many AAA schools close enough for them to play.

This past season...22 if you beat them, 7 if you lost to them...beating a 3-7 Class A team don't get you much...Richlands would be better off playing Haysi...

personally I don't consider graham's football program out yet, they might be down, but in the bigger scheme, from an older person's perspective, they're not out. Their program has been strong for decades, so I'm not going to consider them out quite yet.

In the future, I can see the Blue Ridge being moved to Region IV with the River Ridge, Piedmont, and SWD. I can also see Blacksburg, Christiansburg, and Pulaski Co. being moved to the SWD with Carroll Co., Abingdon, Marion, and Richlands

Brining Blacksburg,Christiansburg and Pulaski to the Swd brings up another problem with Travel. Its already bad enough to make these kids ride on a bus 2-3 hours to during the school week to play. Adding 3 more team makes it that much worse. Football would not be that bad but the other sports would be a killer. Just look at this years Basketball season. Rember these kids have to go to school too.

Quote from G-Man

If the G-Men and Grundy have in their minds to do this don't see how they can be denyed.

Good luck hope the best for both schools.

As far as Richlands if they have no choice but to play more single A's they will have to try to play the very best they can find that can give them the most point value.

Brining Blacksburg,Christiansburg and Pulaski to the Swd brings up another problem with Travel. Its already bad enough to make these kids ride on a bus 2-3 hours to during the school week to play. Adding 3 more team makes it that much worse. Football would not be that bad but the other sports would be a killer. Just look at this years Basketball season. Rember these kids have to go to school too.

My orginial post had part of a quote from G-Man in it I didn't get highlighted like I should have, just to make sure it is clear. Don't think the travel thing would fly. If something like that every did happen I would hope they would find another name just wouldn't be SW district anymore.

I'm curious how could all this cause Abingdon to fall into single A??? Even if all but Carroll were to drop would they still be able to be granted harship at that size, or would it be more likely they would be placed in a combination district situation, if anyting at all.

And as we all know, even at that size (although at Abingdon's size they're still not that big, still average), being bigger doesn't mean better and certainly doesn't mean they should dominate.

only reason they would let abingdon drop in this situation is if all the other AA schools were gone and they were one of a couple left...for travel reasons they would probably put them in an A district to keep them from having to travel up I-81 for hours every week to play district games....that would get old fast in a few sports quickly.

which is why i think they should just move the SWD down to A and avoid all this mess.

This past season...22 if you beat them, 7 if you lost to them...beating a 3-7 Class A team don't get you much...Richlands would be better off playing Haysi...

Why would you want to go that far away to play somebody like Floyd (single A...very good single A...but still single A)....when Pulaski, Blacksburg or Christiansburg would be closer....seems to me that if you're going to travel that far...play a strong AA school...

Why are they thinking about points? If any team can generate a winning season I'm sure they all would like to think they had a chance to have home field advantage in playoffs, it does make a difference. This will be the biggest impact this has on Richlands why wouldn't we think about that? Just saying have to look at playing teams that can supply best points.

See...previous post I made...I quoted wrong thing....Would make more sense to play a quality AA opponent than a quality A opponent, if you're going to travel that far and still be AA...Floyd has played right with Christiansburg the past 2 seasons....and have beaten Cave Spring 4 out of last 5 meetings (benefit games...)...might as well play CBurg...Pulaski...or BBurg...

To tell the truth never been to Floyd, not real sure where it's at, just conversating with Trigger, he is from Floyd isn't he?

If it is as far away as those others it wouldn't work either. I would like to see us add at least one of the schools you mentioned, trying to travel back and forth to all would be a bit much.

To tell the truth never been to Floyd, not real sure where it's at, just conversating with Trigger, he is from Floyd isn't he?

If it is as far away as those others it wouldn't work either. I would like to see us add at least one of the schools you mentioned, trying to travel back and forth to all would be a bit much.

Floyd is an awesome place....great town, great people....one redlight in whole county...

You can take exit 114 and turn left to go into CBURG...or you can turn right off of exit...and travel up route 8 about 20 miles and be in the heart of downtown floyd....I love that place...wish all towns were like Floyd...

You should go there sometime....even if it's not for football...I recommend eating at the Blue Ridge Diner.

Floyd is an awesome place....great town, great people....one redlight in whole county...

You can take exit 114 and turn left to go into CBURG...or you can turn right off of exit...and travel up route 8 about 20 miles and be in the heart of downtown floyd....I love that place...wish all towns were like Floyd...

You should go there sometime....even if it's not for football...I recommend eating at the Blue Ridge Diner.

agreed floyd is a cool place... the athletics, food, and floydfest is all great..

a little off topic but ole well...

anyways i would like to see tazewell co schools drop down.. for tazewell it would put more emotion with their non-con single-A series..

Edited by dawgs86

I can tell you that if Graham goes, Tazewell will go too...and if Tazewell goes, Marion will follow soon. Marion most likely would wind up in the Hogoheegee, Tazewell and Graham most likely in the MED. The only team that may remain as AA in the area may be Abingdon, with a larger enrollment that most of the SWD, but they may be able to apply like Lee County to play down.... there will be no AA teams left in this part of the state.

Even if Graham goes to "A" I don't see the VHSL allowing Tazewell (724 students) or Marion (788 students) to follow suit. Certainly, Grundy with something like 430 students could and should go single A. Abingdon with about 960 students, has the lowest enrollment of any AA Division IV team in the state. Should the new 5-classification system be implemented, it will really hurt Abingdon because they'll be placed in 3-A with closest other 3-A schools being Carroll Co., Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Pulaski County, etc., All these schools have between 1,100 and 1,500 students.

If Graham, Grundy go down, I suspect Abingdon, Richlands, Tazewell, Marion and maybe Carroll Co. will remain in the SW District for now.

I'm curious how could all this cause Abingdon to fall into single A??? Even if all but Carroll were to drop would they still be able to be granted harship at that size, or would it be more likely they would be placed in a combination district situation, if anyting at all.

And as we all know, even at that size (although at Abingdon's size they're still not that big, still average), being bigger doesn't mean better and certainly doesn't mean they should dominate.

Precedent has been established. PC (1,500+ students) is "AA" Division IV. Lee with 712 students is "A" Division 2.

Even if Graham goes to "A" I don't see the VHSL allowing Tazewell (724 students) or Marion (788 students) to follow suit. Certainly, Grundy with something like 430 students could and should go single A. Abingdon with about 960 students, has the lowest enrollment of any AA Division IV team in the state. Should the new 5-classification system be implemented, it will really hurt Abingdon because they'll be placed in 3-A with closest other 3-A schools being Carroll Co., Blacksburg, Christiansburg, Pulaski County, etc., All these schools have between 1,100 and 1,500 students.

If Graham, Grundy go down, I suspect Abingdon, Richlands, Tazewell, Marion and maybe Carroll Co. will remain in the SW District for now.

http://virginiapreps.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=914&CID=693259

Actually precedent has been set. Sounds like the divide is 750, that said Tazewell does fit in there. Lee was somewhere around 850 when they dropped.

I don't see it happening this cycle, it will take a major confrontation to make it happen and don't think it is there, yet anyway.

Isn't it wonderful how those people in the center of state get to stick schools bigger than they should in different divisons, see above posting.