Graham to Mountain Empire?

futbolking

"School within a school" doesn't' make sense to me... If you're going to bring all the kids to the same location why not just have one school? If two schools on the same campus is cheaper than two schools on separate campuses wouldn't a single school be even cheaper?

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All of the consolidation opponents I know will not support one or two schools. The consideration is strictly financial. This concept is being used more in urban areas than rural ones. Wise County is having problems putting the money together. If you have the same food preparation area, medical staff, library staff, etc. you can save money. Administrative staff would not be significantly increased by the proposal. In a two school scenario only one additional principal would be needed- in a three or four the assistant principals would be eliminated. In order to transfer between the school for sports a waiver by the superintendent would be needed- otherwise they would have to set out a year. This problem is bedeviling the St. Paul swap with Russell. I am told that VHSL rules changed about 15 years ago in cases of consolidation or closing bring those instances under the general eligibility rules. VHSL will probably end up with some lawsuits.

I'm not sure I understand your last part about St. Paul. Wouldn't those kids be immediately eligible at Castlewood the first year they went there, provided that St. Paul closed?

"School within a school" doesn't' make sense to me... If you're going to bring all the kids to the same location why not just have one school? If two schools on the same campus is cheaper than two schools on separate campuses wouldn't a single school be even cheaper?

I have no idea what the finances look like in either scenario but my guess is the one consolidated school would save so much money the school within a school concept would go out the window. Again, I'm just guessing here.

Where has this idea been implemented? I've heard that it has been tried in urban areas but where specifically? Is it similar to the Jefferson-Huguenot-Wythe setup in Richmond from the 1980s?

I'll post this again since it may have been overlooked earlier...

I have no idea what the finances look like in either scenario but my guess is the one consolidated school would save so much money the school within a school concept would go out the window. Again, I'm just guessing here.

Where has this idea been implemented? I've heard that it has been tried in urban areas but where specifically? Is it similar to the Jefferson-Huguenot-Wythe setup in Richmond from the 1980s?

Actually, the arrangement that Richmond city schools implemented in the 1980's was pretty similar to what Rocky Gap and Bland are doing in football currently. Basically two schools entering a contractual agreement to compete as one entity, which is different than "school within a school." In addition to TJ/Huguenot/Wythe, you also had Marshall-Walker.

Honestly, I wasn't aware that it was being practiced in Virginia at this point. I know that there are examples such as Robinson in Fairfax where basically the middle and high schools are combined within one physical facility, but I'm not aware of a case where two separate secondary schools are doing it.

If I'm not mistaken, this is the approach that certain systems in Pennsylvania and Ohio have used (Westerville being an example). Weird, wild stuff either way....

I'm not sure I understand your last part about St. Paul. Wouldn't those kids be immediately eligible at Castlewood the first year they went there, provided that St. Paul closed?

St. Paul students who start the 9th grade at Castlewood would be eligible. The upper class kids would be snared by the district residency requirement. There is no longer an exemption for closings and consolidations. Suppose they could apply for hardship.

are you sure?

I'm too tired to go thru the Handbook tonight and trad everything, but if I rem. correctly, when Henry Co. closed F-C and LP a few years ago (in mid-cycle), all the kids became immediately eligible at the school which they were assisgned to.

General eligibiliy rules ? Basically, if you don't move, you're eligible at the school which you're supposed to go to.

Now, if Coeburn kids decided to go to, say, Rye instead of the new school that replaces Coeburn, they'd sit out a year.

are you sure?

I'm too tired to go thru the Handbook tonight and trad everything, but if I rem. correctly, when Henry Co. closed F-C and LP a few years ago (in mid-cycle), all the kids became immediately eligible at the school which they were assisgned to.

General eligibiliy rules ? Basically, if you don't move, you're eligible at the school which you're supposed to go to.

Now, if Coeburn kids decided to go to, say, Rye instead of the new school that replaces Coeburn, they'd sit out a year.

I believe you are correct VHSLhelper...

are you sure?

What is different in the St. Paul situation is that they would be attending school in another division. The FC-LP closure was within Henry County.

Graham will dominate that district

Wrong.....we're really not back to this point again, are we??

Middle of pack in most sports..near or at top in football...possibly, unless the downward trend continues.

How many players did Graham and Grundy have on the roster last year? I think they're both going to see an increase in participation when they drop. Both are going to have a chance to compete for a district title right away. That gets people excited. Excitement gets kids to come out. That's why I think both will do better in Class-A.

futbolking....I don't think the downward trend in football will continue much longer. There is some good young talent coming up. If Coach Marrs would get some better help coaching they could keep kids coming out and get faster results. Just my .02cents.

I hope you're right...and I'm hearing the same thing...this past season's j.v. team was pretty talented and I hear they have a really good up and coming kid who has moved from Princeton so that he can play soccer in the spring and football in the fall.

However, things can change at the varsity level, lately for the worse...Graham really needs to improve on the defensive side of the ball....Offensively, they haven't been bad...maybe it's time to let somebody else help with the defensive coaching...poor tackling...kids playing too far up at the linebacker spots...and not staying home...stuff they teach at a very early age, apparently not transferring to the high school level? or not being reinforced at the high school level...Seems like Graham's linebackers are right on top of the line all of the time...and getting burned for big plays, but what do I know...I'm just a fan, not a coach.

Another thing...maybe it's relevant, maybe not...but there used to be several little league football teams in Bluefield, VA...now just 1 or 2...I think just 1 for each age level. I would think that a lot of kids don't start playing until middle school these days. It would be great to see some folks step in and try to build the youth leagues up again.

Edited by futbolking

I hope you're right...and I'm hearing the same thing...this past season's j.v. team was pretty talented and I hear they have a really good up and coming kid who has moved from Princeton so that he can play soccer in the spring and football in the fall.

However, things can change at the varsity level, lately for the worse...Graham really needs to improve on the defensive side of the ball....Offensively, they haven't been bad...maybe it's time to let somebody else help with the defensive coaching...poor tackling...kids playing too far up at the linebacker spots...and not staying home...stuff they teach at a very early age, apparently not transferring to the high school level? or not being reinforced at the high school level...Seems like Graham's linebackers are right on top of the line all of the time...and getting burned for big plays, but what do I know...I'm just a fan, not a coach.

Another thing...maybe it's relevant, maybe not...but there used to be several little league football teams in Bluefield, VA...now just 1 or 2...I think just 1 for each age level. I would think that a lot of kids don't start playing until middle school these days. It would be great to see some folks step in and try to build the youth leagues up again.

I don't believe Graham is getting the kid from PCTN....I've heard from a very reliable source that he will stay where he is. You are dead on about the linebackers.

I don't believe Graham is getting the kid from PCTN....I've heard from a very reliable source that he will stay where he is.

...and play soccer instead of football for Spadero...

I have heard Beaver is after the kid as well. Both for soccer and football.

The reason he was looking at coming to Graham was because football and soccer are played in different seasons (fall and spring)...in WV, they are both in the fall. Spadero told him he couldn't play soccer if he wanted to play football...