Graham to Mountain Empire?

futbolking

Even if Graham goes to "A" I don't see the VHSL allowing Tazewell (724 students) or Marion (788 students) to follow suit.

They could not prohibit Tazewell from dropping too because they have CLASS A enrollment numbers...754 and less qualifies as Class A for the next R&R period...

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Precedent has been established. PC (1,500+ students) is "AA" Division IV. Lee with 712 students is "A" Division 2.

Lee has an enrollment of less than 754...they are classified as a Class A school...

Pulaski Co. has an enrollment of 1489, less than the AAA/AA enrollment cutoff of 1535/1531

Here are the Classification cutoff enrollment numbers for the next R&R...

AAA: 1535-2920

AA: 755-1531

A: 88-754

If you look at the numbers of students and were to add Grundy ,Tazewell, and Richlands to Region D Division 2 and drop Haysi, Cintwood, Honaker,and Coeburn to D 1 the numbers between the schools would be closer in D2 than they are now. That is in the break down if you use the football divisions because Haysi and Clintwood playD1 in football.

As of now

lee 728 highest Dif.331

Honaker 397 lowest

If 3 Swd teams added

Richlands 795 highest diff.327

Grundy 468 lowest

Lee had 812 when they dropped...they proved travel hardship to drop to A since there nearest AA opponent (Abingdon) would have been 90 miles away. If they had been put in the SWD, they would have had a 175 mile trip to Hillsville for a district game.

I wish they would just move the SWD down to A and send CC somewhere...would be easy to do and wouldn't disrupt anything...the entire disctrict has low numbers, why not just move them all down and keep the history intact.

If numbers are low enough, that would be best. it's a shame to destroy history.

This past season...22 if you beat them, 7 if you lost to them...beating a 3-7 Class A team don't get you much...Richlands would be better off playing Haysi...

Last year yes. The year before, Floyd was 10-0 in regular season play and would have have provided alot of points. Beating pulaski this year would not have been as good as beating them last year. Each year is different.

I think we could easily see a scenario like the Dogwood used to have. Some schools in that district were AA while others were single A. This may appear lopsided as far as the district crown but with the current 6 team playoff format in Region IV and C I think this could work. Travel and money is the main issuses at hand right now so this could be a solution.

I think we could easily see a scenario like the Dogwood used to have. Some schools in that district were AA while others were single A. This may appear lopsided as far as the district crown but with the current 6 team playoff format in Region IV and C I think this could work. Travel and money is the main issuses at hand right now so this could be a solution.

VHSL is trying to get away from combination districts except for extreme cases like they have on the eastern shore...

Last year yes. The year before, Floyd was 10-0 in regular season play and would have have provided alot of points. Beating pulaski this year would not have been as good as beating them last year. Each year is different.

Yeh, 14 for losing to them...

My thoughts...

1) Rivalries won't die...Graham will continue to play Tazewell and Richlands as non-district games for as long as those three schools are open.

That's not a safe assumption. There's a long explanation for that, but I'll try to condense it.

Grundy is actually the key to the perceived "unity" of the core membership of the SWD. Graham broached exactly the same notion of dropping to the MED about 20 years ago. The administration of the TCPS at that time vetoed that notion and established an unofficial policy which said that GHS, RHS, and THS would remain in the SWD along with Grundy until such time as Grundy's position changed. Therefore, Grundy's decision to move to the BDD effectively cancelled that "policy."

Graham's unilateral action to join the MED also effectively destroys the myth of "unity" among Tazewell County schools. It's now every school for themselves. Tazewell and Richlands may continue to schedule the G-Men, but only if they determine that this would be profitable on a cost/benefit basis. (As an example, I would identify the on-again, off-again status of the "series" between Richlands and Bluefield.)

I have great sentimental attachment to the SWD and its history, but this is purely a business decision. And I think that Graham's move to Group A (and the MED in particular) makes a lot of sense.

However, from the standpoint of scheduling non-district games, all bets are off.

which is why I would like to see the entire SWD moved down and the AA teams that would not move down changed to other districts.

Also, don't think that all the AD's have not discussed this at length...just seems that Graham and Grundy moved first...Tazewell and Richlands still have a couple of months to act before this is all voted on, so it could still happen....which I hope it does...they all need to stick together in my opinion.

which is why I would like to see the entire SWD moved down and the AA teams that would not move down changed to other districts.

Also, don't think that all the AD's have not discussed this at length...just seems that Graham and Grundy moved first...Tazewell and Richlands still have a couple of months to act before this is all voted on, so it could still happen....which I hope it does...they all need to stick together in my opinion.

Largely for sentimental reasons, I agree wholeheartedly with Lance that it would be preferable for the existing SWD to simply become a Single A district. However, I have very little optimism that it will happen.

The SWD as a whole functions pretty efficiently as a AA league, largely out of necessity. The phrase "as a whole" is the key. For specific outliers like Grundy and Graham, travel requirements within the SWD have never been as efficient as they could be in the BDD and MED, respectively. And the economies of scale that these two schools will achieve by making their moves to those leagues is what will effectively doom the SWD.

I don't think I've received the gift of prophecy, but here's where I see the current membership of the SWD within 5-10 years:

Abingdon - Hogoheegee (A)

Carroll County - River Ridge (AA)

Graham - Mountain Empire (A)

Grundy - Black Diamond (A)

Marion - Hogoheegee (A)

Richlands - Black Diamond (A)

Tazewell - Black Diamond (A)

However, from the standpoint of scheduling non-district games, all bets are off.

I wouldn't mind seeing Graham get some new "blood" on their schedule anyway...lots of good old rivalries could be renewed and some new rivalries may be born. If Richlands and Tazewell don't/won't play Graham as a non-district game...fine with me...they can take their ball and go home...:rolleyes:

I think Richlands will continue to schedule Graham and Grundy in football, and certainly in other sports.

I'm not one who really cares much about keeping the SWD intact. I do care about the Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, and Grundy history but let's be honest, that group is no longer balanced. Richlands dominates football. Richlands is the only who can compete with Tazewell in baseball and softball. Graham dominates soccer and Tazewell dominates volleyball. Basketball is the only sport where the four schools can really compete with each other.

If Richlands and Tazewell were to drop I would like to see them in the CMD... Gate City in football, VHS and Battle in baseball, plus Lebanon would be a natural district rival in all sports.

I think Richlands will continue to schedule Graham and Grundy in football, and certainly in other sports.

I'm not one who really cares much about keeping the SWD intact. I do care about the Richlands, Tazewell, Graham, and Grundy history but let's be honest, that group is no longer balanced. Richlands dominates football. Richlands is the only who can compete with Tazewell in baseball and softball. Graham dominates soccer and Tazewell dominates volleyball. Basketball is the only sport where the four schools can really compete with each other.

If Richlands and Tazewell were to drop I would like to see them in the CMD... Gate City in football, VHS and Battle in baseball, plus Lebanon would be a natural district rival in all sports.

yeah but, to me football is all about tradition...and you are seeing the last days of 80+ years.

In the short term, I agree. But I would submit that those matchups will only continue in the future to the extent that they remain profitable.

When Richlands drops to Single A, we'll have our pick of several nearby schools within our classification to fill our non-district schedule. Of course, that will be limited by the size of the district we inhabit. My theory is that we'll be members of an 8-team BDD district, which will give us one fewer non-district game to schedule than what we have in the current SWD.

It's going to be interesting. And somewhat sad. But also very exciting.

Maybe I should blog about it....

I don't know about the BDD. There are some very tiny schools in that district. I can't see Richlands playing Twin Valley, Hurley, etc., in football. Most of the CMD is close to AA numbers anyway. I think that would be the best fit for Richlands and Tazewell.

I don't know about the BDD. There are some very tiny schools in that district. I can't see Richlands playing Twin Valley, Hurley, etc., in football. Most of the CMD is close to AA numbers anyway. I think that would be the best fit for Richlands and Tazewell.

Enrollment only determines which classification you play in.

Travel costs are the single biggest factor driving district affiliation.

The fact that our administration will save a boatload of $$$ by playing in the BDD should make it attractive for Richlands. The fact that we will deliver a huge gate to those tiny schools will likely make it worth their while to accept us as members.

I'll admit to being cynical, but the quality of actual athletic competition will have very little to do with the outcome of this imminent reorganization.

I don't think I've received the gift of prophecy, but here's where I see the current membership of the SWD within 5-10 years:

Abingdon - Hogoheegee (A)

Carroll County - River Ridge (AA)

Graham - Mountain Empire (A)

Grundy - Black Diamond (A)

Marion - Hogoheegee (A)

Richlands - Black Diamond (A)

Tazewell - Black Diamond (A)

Here's what I see in the next 5-10 years...especially if Wise Co. goes through with consolidation and all the SWD schools end up in Class A

Region D-

BDD: Grundy, Haysi, Honaker, Hurley, Twin Valley, Council

CMD: Tazewell, Richlands, Lebanon, John Battle, Virginia, Abingdon

LPD: Gate City, Lee, Clintwood, Appy/PV, Pound/Kelly, St. Paul/Coeburn

CD: J.I. Burton, Castlewood, Ervinton, Rye Cove, Twin Springs, Thomas Walker

Region C-

Hogo: Marion, Chilhowie, Patrick Henry, Holston, Northwood, Rural Retreat

MED: Graham, Bland Co., Fort Chiswell, George Wythe, Galax, Grayson Co.

TRD: Auburn, East. Mont., Floyd Co., Giles, Radford, Narrows

Pioneer: Glenvar, Bath Co., Covington, Craig Co., James River, Parry McCluer, Highland

I don't know, I think Richlands would lose money playing in the BDD. Many of those teams have fewer kids on their entire roster than Richlands has seniors in most years. I think attendance for those games would suffer because no one would want to see games that are that lopsided.

Assuming Marion, Tazewell, Richlands eventually drop....

Abingdon could be allowed to play in a Group A district in the regular season but compete for regional/state championships in AA if Region IV could come up with a suitable way for them to qualify for the playoffs.

For example, in team sports other than football, they might have to win the district regular season or tournament title of their Group A district to make the AA/Region IV playoffs. Or you could even go as far as having them compete in the River Ridge tournament after being in the Hogo/CMD/whatever in the regular season. The sticking point comes with how they might be seeded.

I don't know, I think Richlands would lose money playing in the BDD. Many of those teams have fewer kids on their entire roster than Richlands has seniors in most years. I think attendance for those games would suffer because no one would want to see games that are that lopsided.

Big D is spot on. The BDD is NOT a fit for Richlands. Can you imagine what the present BDD schools would be thinking if they heard Richlands was gonna be in their district?

One sure way to decrease county school enrollment ..... alter successful sports programs.

The move should make sense for ALL involved.

Big D hit this on the head. If one is going to crunch numbers one should look at potential gate revenue vs travel expense.