• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bland Co.

Narrows

Fort Chiswell

Galax

Grayson Co.

If the move occurs shouldn't they just send the next 10-15 district football banners to Graham High and not waste everyone's time? I mean seriously, none of those schools could contend with Graham, even in a bad year for the G-Men.

If the move occurs shouldn't they just send the next 10-15 district football banners to Graham High and not waste everyone's time? I mean seriously, none of those schools could contend with Graham, even in a bad year for the G-Men.

Graham has considered dropping to Class A before but dropped the idea when the VHSL placed them in the MED...the reason being the lack of competition on the football field. However, in regards to other sports, Graham would fit well in that district.

Graham to the MED is on the R&R for the 26th. Grundy to the BDD is also. If it goes through it will leave only FIVE AA schools West of Pulaski!!! The time for Richlands to drop is NOW!!!

Graham to the MED is on the R&R for the 26th. Grundy to the BDD is also. If it goes through it will leave only FIVE AA schools West of Pulaski!!! The time for Richlands to drop is NOW!!!

I agree Big D

http://www.swvatoday.com/sports/article/graham_and_grundy_seeking_move_to_class_a_for_sports_in_2011/6713/

Graham and Grundy seeking to move to Class A for sports in 2011

By Jim Talbert

Published: January 22, 2010

» 0 Comments | Post a Comment

By JIM TALBERT\Staff

RICHLANDS – The upcoming football season could be the last in the AA Southwest district for two local schools.

The redistricting and reclassification committee of the Virginia High School League meets in Charlottesville, Jan. 26 to consider modifications to classification system for the 2011-12, 2012-13 seasons.

The committee will consider requests from Graham and Grundy to move from AA to A. Graham is seeking to go from AA, Region IV, Southwest to A, Region C, Mountain Empire.

Grundy wants to move from AA, Southwest to A, Region D, Black Diamond. Being in the Mountain Empire would have the G-Men facing Galax, Fort Chiswell, Narrows, Bland and Grayson County.

In the Black Diamond Grundy would face Honaker, Haysi, Twin Valley and Hurley. The R&R committee will meet in April to hear appeals of whatever plan it approves Jan. 26. The full board of the VHSL will take action on a committee recommendation May 6.

The complete list of modification requests is attached. January 26 R&R Modification Requests

School Requests

Bluestone Move from Group AA, Region I, Southside District to Group A, Region B, James River District

Central (Woodstock) Move from Group AA, Region II, Northwestern District to Group A, Region B, Shenandoah District

Culpeper County Move from Group AA, Region I, Battlefield District to Group AA, Region II, Evergreen District

Eastern View Move from Group AA, Region I, Battlefield District to Group AA, Region II, Evergreen District

Fleming, William Move from Group AAA, Northwest Region, Western Valley District to Group AA, a nearby district and region to be determined

Graham Move from Group AA, Region IV, Southwest District to Group A, Region C, Mountain Empire District

Grundy Move from Group AA, Region IV, Southwest District to Group A, Region D, Black Diamond District

Henry, Patrick ® Move from Group AAA, Northwest Region, Western Valley District to Group AA, a nearby district and region to be determined

Jackson, Stonewall (Q) Move from Group A, Region B, Bull Run District to Group A, Region B, Shenandoah District

Monroe, William Move from Group AA, Region II, Jefferson District to Group A, Region B, district to be determined

Nottoway Move from Group AA, Region I, Southside District to Group A,

Region B, James River District

Orange County Move from Group AAA, Northwest Region, Commonwealth District to Group AA, Region II, Jefferson District

Powhatan Move from Group AA, Region I, Southside District to Group AA, Region II, Jefferson District

Prince William County

New School Move from Group AA, Region II, Evergreen District to Group AAA, Northwest Region, Cedar Run District

Sherando Move from Group AAA, Northwest Region, Cedar Run District to Group AA, Region II, Northwestern District

so what happened to the VHSL plan to re-do everything for 2011? I thought they were going to go in and put everyone where they belong by the numbers?

They voted against that plan...

they would win the district in football every year and probably basketball too.

Exactly. It would seriously water-down Graham's football schedule unless that district added other teams as well. Can you imagine Graham playing Bland County in football? That'd be like Bluefield playing Montcalm; UGLY!

You know I can understand not competing with the Blacksburg's and Christiansburg's. I can take having Richlands basically destroy the SWD year in and year out. But is there a more blatant case of someone trying to save his skin by making this move? What is the hurry? The landscape is changing with consolidation coming in Wise County. We might be able to make the drop as a distirct together. G-Man I told you 3 years ago this was coming. Graham makes this move, and they never win another region title. This is like Michigan leaving the Big 10 for the WVIAC. The only way this move makes sense is if Giles and George Wythe come along for the ride. Otherwise hand us the district title in football for the next 50 years, and watch us lose in the playoffs to real teams.

Edited by CPF

Graham will not dominate any district next year in football. They weren't very good last year and had all seniors. You guys could go into any single A district next year and not win it. Not sure what the thinking is but I will tell you this "Get out of the PAST" and stop thinking of how good you once were. From what I saw last year Fort Chiswell would have beaten you, George Wythe did beat you, and Radford would have smacked you around too. I could think of a couple of more teams that would beat you in Region C (Chilhowie & Floyd Co). Think what you want but you better not take a move down lightly because you guys just aren't that good anymore.:eek:

Graham will not dominate any district next year in football. They weren't very good last year and had all seniors. You guys could go into any single A district next year and not win it. Not sure what the thinking is but I will tell you this "Get out of the PAST" and stop thinking of how good you once were. From what I saw last year Fort Chiswell would have beaten you, George Wythe did beat you, and Radford would have smacked you around too. I could think of a couple of more teams that would beat you in Region C (Chilhowie & Floyd Co). Think what you want but you better not take a move down lightly because you guys just aren't that good anymore.:eek:

You know you are right. We aren't very good anymore. We used to be Richlands, and now we are Abindgon. Only slightly better. We come from a proud tradition, and appears now to be heading to a district with no tradtion. And you made my point for me, Ft Chiswell, Radford, Floyd, Chilhowie and George Wythe are the best teams in the region and we will not beat them because the level of competition in the district isn't nearly as good as the SWD. I just don't see how this helps Graham.

Geographically I guess the MED is a better fit for the G-Men. Competitively I would think the Three Rivers Dist would be a better fit for them.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Maybe for football....the Three Rivers District schools would DESTROY Graham in most sports...trust me on that one.

Lately, they would destroy Graham in football. I think you are overestimating Graham and underestimating these other teams.

Graham would be a good fit in the MED for all sports....they SHOULD finish at or near the top of the district in football each year, but you never know, the way it's been going lately. I wouldn't be surprised to see them lose to FC or Grayson.

Besides....if Graham joined the TRD they would have to travel to Glenvar and that would be further than any travel they have now, wouldn't make sense....

If you think Graham would've been able to compete with Radford, Giles or Floyd for the past 3 or 4 years...you are sadly mistaken...maybe 5 or 6 years ago, they probably could've competed and most likely would have beaten these teams, but not lately....

You know I can understand not competing with the Blacksburg's and Christiansburg's. I can take having Richlands basically destroy the SWD year in and year out. But is there a more blatant case of someone trying to save his skin by making this move? What is the hurry? The landscape is changing with consolidation coming in Wise County. We might be able to make the drop as a distirct together. G-Man I told you 3 years ago this was coming. Graham makes this move, and they never win another region title. This is like Michigan leaving the Big 10 for the WVIAC. The only way this move makes sense is if Giles and George Wythe come along for the ride. Otherwise hand us the district title in football for the next 50 years, and watch us lose in the playoffs to real teams.

I agree completely....

Giles, Radford, Floyd, would've destroyed Graham the past few years..Chilhowie, FC, maybe even Grayson most likely would've beaten Graham. In Region D you have Gate City...Powell Valley... don't forget about Gretna and the other "athletic" schools east of roanoke...Graham wouldn't have stood a chance in playoffs the past few years... The past is over people...things won't be any easier in single A....except for maybe district play.

Graham will still play the county schools, Tazewell and Richlands....they will keep their rivalry game with Bluefield...they need to pick up another quality opponent or 2 to have a chance when it comes to regional playoffs...if they can get that far.

Football, Graham would be very hard to beat. However Ft. Chiswell has some very big and athletic boys and the program they have is going up. Galax and Narrows had alot of tradition that many of you Graham people wouldn't know about but they were some good years when the two of them was playing AA ball. On the subject of bland and Graham we play you in almost every other sport as is. I could also see this happening at Graham over the next few years if this happens, GOOD ATHLETES TRANSFERING TO BLUEFIELD OR TAZEWELL TO REMAIN IN AA FOR EXPOSURE. Don't think its going to as dominating as you folks may think. Bland, Narrows are for Graham moving in and Ft. Chiswell from what i hear is also. Galax and Grayson are opposed.