Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

The Braves have called up 2009 first round draft pick Mike Minor to pitch in place of the injured Kris Medlen on Monday. It's a chance for another look at the future of Atlanta in the heat of a pennant race; baptism by fire. And maybe the best part, they demoted Kawakami to "AAA" Gwinnett.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

KK had a stipulation in his contract....."he could not be sent down". The Braves presented it to him as "we'd like you to go down and pitch about four games to get 'stretched out' since you haven't pitched in sometime". They will then recall him and decide between he or Minor (depending on how he performs in the 'bigs') who would be in the starting rotation in the future. KK agreed to this role according to news sources.

My personal opinion, if Minor can "come close" to his Gwinnett AAA performance in the bigs, he will get the nod.

It hasn't been discussed here, but Kris Medlen looks to be headed for Tommy John surgery. Atlanta was 13-1 in games he started this season, so losing him for this year and likely most of next season hurts quite a bit. Bobby Cox is running out of fingers to plug holes in the ship and keep it afloat.

it's not just the Braves...I've watched a lot of baseball this year and across the board i've seen more errors than I can remember since Steve Sax was playing for the Dodgers in the 80's.

it's not just the Braves...I've watched a lot of baseball this year and across the board i've seen more errors than I can remember since Steve Sax was playing for the Dodgers in the 80's.

Lol, that's a lot of errors!!!

defense needs to be better but Venters could be a starter or closer next year was a starter in the minors .

Aren't they grooming him as a closer though? A lot of times they will use a potential closer as a starter in the minors just to get him enough innings.

is Chipper done the report is that he has injured his ACL again and will have surgery to repair it

if it's an ACL and he has to have it repaired i dont see him making it back in time for any more action this year....it's mid Aug now and you are looking at minimum of 6 to 10 weeks of rehab after repair and at his age i doubt they will press him back quickly as us old folks tend to heal slower.

I hope he plays next year...but this may be it for Chipper.

is Chipper done the report is that he has injured his ACL again and will have surgery to repair it

Yep, he's done: http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100812&content_id=13364936&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

Probably the end of a fine, fine career, too.

Hopefully there's a WS ending. If they can hang on.

Chipper's injury is disappointing on many levels. I was looking forward to seeing him play this weekend when the wife and I head to Atlanta to catch the first two games of the Dodgers' series. Hopefully, he has a speedy recovery and decides to comeback at some point next year. It would be unfortunate for him to finish his career this way.

Braves lost tonight, ending a 3-game streak. Still 2 ahead of the Phils.

Too close for comfort, but any lead is a good lead.

Stinks to have traveled to the ATL to see the Braves lose on Saturday night, but it was an enjoyable trip regardless. We had great seats, but trying to get a taxi after the game was a nightmare. Moral of the story, if you go to a Braves game don't depend on getting to the stadium and back using public transportation.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

marta is right outside the stadium...i usually stay up in buckhead and ride it down there and back...much easier and cheaper.

A guy showed up at the "taxi stand" after he was told it would be approximately an hour and half wait for the next bus/shuttle. Maybe the problems were an anomaly; I'm sure the 49,000+ crowd didn't help matters. The Braves rarely draw that many fans to games anymore, so maybe people were prepared for the size of the crowd, especially considering how heavily it rained the two hours prior to the first pitch.

We have taken the Marta down a few times to the Braves games from the Doraville station.

:)

(Marta does not operate in our county...as the citizens voted against expansion out here...and yes, I voted nay...that's another story.) Marta does not use the "token" system anymore and you now have to purchase a "breeze" card and "load" a dollar amount.

Here is a caveat about Marta.....the board has voted to "end" running the shuttle buses from Five Points to the Braves stadium beginning in 2011. (Many ppl in metro ATL would say Marta is a very inefficiently run operation.)

See following articles abouts "cuts":

http://www.ajc.com/news/atlanta/marta-board-approves-service-559103.html

However, Braves looking at possibility of funding shuttles:

http://www.talkingchop.com/2010/7/2/1547706/talking-chop-exclusive-braves-may

We've discovered we like the conveniece of driving down....either having a parking pass or if not, getting there early enough to park close to the old Fulton County stadium....yes, you pay for parking. Yes, it is more favorable to folks driving that know the metro area but, being familiar with the area and contending with the heavy traffic is another matter. However, over time, most metro citizens have just become "numb" to the situation and learned to exist as best they can with it.

As far as the attendance this year, ATL is in the middle of the pack of other teams for 2010.

http://espn.go.com/mlb/attendance

Also, the Braves attendance is up this year b/c of the pennant race.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/08/08/braves-attendance-up-over-last-season/

For my last word on the Braves.....what a game last night. My thoughts during the game....."they can't hit....poor Hanson, a gem of a game and no hits...they look like the BNBears"....and then came the ninth...."oh, how am I gonna make it through this season"....the ninth inning rally.....HO HUM." :D

http://blogs.ajc.com/mark-bradley-blog/2010/08/16/the-braves-stink-no-wait-the-braves-somehow-win-again/?cxntfid=blogs_mark_bradley_blog

Edited by trublue

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/david-kaplan-chicago-sports/2010/08/-normal-0-false-false.html

**Breaking News** The Cubs are close to trading first baseman Derrek Lee to the Atlanta Braves, I have learned exclusively. The trade was first discussed on Sunday evening when the Braves called Cubs GM Jim Hendry and expressed interest after learning that one of their best offensive players, Chipper Jones was lost for the season with a knee injury.

As a 10-5 man (10 years in the major leagues and the last five with the same team) Lee has the right to reject a trade as he did when the Los Angeles Angeles of Anaheim tried to acquire him in late July. However, sources close to Lee tell us that he will approve a deal to Atlanta because the Braves are leading their division thus giving him a shot at winning another World Series ring. Lee was a member of the 2003 World Champion Florida Marlins who beat the New York Yankees in the Fall Classic.

The deal that would send Lee to the Braves has not yet been finalized but MLB sources characterize the trade as nearly done. One holdup has been Lee's balky back which has kept him sidelined the past couple of days. The trade is not expected to land the Cubs much in the way of talent because of Lee's subpar 2010 season but it will provide some salary relief as Lee makes 13 million dollars and the Braves are expected to assume most if not all of his remaining money.