Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

STUPID TRADE!!!

Gonzalez is 33 years old and has a career batting average of .248!!! If Escobar was a cancer fine, trade him, but don't screw the future in the process!!!

The Braves actually had a shortstop AND a closer in the All-Star game last night... Except they were playing for the American League as members of the Texas Rangers. Who did Atlanta get from that deal again? Oh yeah, they got someone to play 1B FOR THE YANKEES!!!

I would much rather take a risk now when we have a shot at making a splash in the post season, than worry about what's going to happen in the next couple of years. Yes, we pay Gonzalez more money, but he has played on a couple of championship teams and knows what it takes to win. I've also heard that he is great in the locker room, is very positive, and will add a lot to what the Braves have been building for a while now. This trade will help what we've been building. Yunel proved to be a lazy locker room cancer. Buh bye, Yunel.

And what's this random rant about not resigning Tex? Yeah, that was a poor move. But we've moved on. I suggest you do the same.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't watch a lot of baseball anymore, but spent last week at the in-laws and saw the Braves play four games. What I saw from Escobar was someone who was just going through the motions, especially in the field. I saw him blow routine pop ups, make ill advised throws to the wrong base, not cut off throws from the outfield.

My father-in-law, who watchs about every Braves game told me he has been like that all season.

Maybe the change of scenery will help his career.

I would much rather take a risk now when we have a shot at making a splash in the post season, than worry about what's going to happen in the next couple of years. Yes, we pay Gonzalez more money, but he has played on a couple of championship teams and knows what it takes to win. I've also heard that he is great in the locker room, is very positive, and will add a lot to what the Braves have been building for a while now. This trade will help what we've been building. Yunel proved to be a lazy locker room cancer. Buh bye, Yunel.

And what's this random rant about not resigning Tex? Yeah, that was a poor move. But we've moved on. I suggest you do the same.

Yeah well, I won't be moving on from anything... I hate these deadline deals that trade the future for the right now and the Texiera trade is THE example of why I hate them. Escobar has a chance to be one of the top shortstops in the game and the Braves trade him for a 33 year old .250 hitter... Not a good deal!

This is why I hate the Texiera trade so much...

2007 - Braves trade Adam LaRoche and Jamie Romak for Mike Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge

2007 - Braves trade Elvis Andrus, Neftali Fleliz, Matt Harrison, Jarod Saltalamacchia, and Beau Jones for Mark Texiera and Ron Mahay

2008 - Braves trade Mark Texiera for Casey Kotchman and Steve Marek

2009 - Braves trade Casey Kotchman for Adam LaRoche

2010 - Steve Marek is the only player who's still with the Braves

So the net result of a (failed) attempt to "win now" is the Braves traded a starting first baseman (LaRoche), an all-star shortstop, an all-star closer, a starting pitcher, and a solid backup catcher for a minor league pitcher... Had they simply kept LaRoche in the first place the other trades would not have happened and the Braves would be a much better team right now.

This is why I hate the Texiera trade so much...

2007 - Braves trade Adam LaRoche and Jamie Romak for Mike Gonzalez and Brent Lillibridge

2007 - Braves trade Elvis Andrus, Neftali Fleliz, Matt Harrison, Jarod Saltalamacchia, and Beau Jones for Mark Texiera and Ron Mahay

2008 - Braves trade Mark Texiera for Casey Kotchman and Steve Marek

2009 - Braves trade Casey Kotchman for Adam LaRoche

2010 - Steve Marek is the only player who's still with the Braves

So the net result of a (failed) attempt to "win now" is the Braves traded a starting first baseman (LaRoche), an all-star shortstop, an all-star closer, a starting pitcher, and a solid backup catcher for a minor league pitcher... Had they simply kept LaRoche in the first place the other trades would not have happened and the Braves would be a much better team right now.

I'm telling you, this isn't a new thing...

The Braves are masters at giving away prospects and players with 3-5 solid years left.

either way we wont know if it was smart of not until after the season is over...if they win the world series and he drives in the winning run or helps them win a bunch of games to get there, then regardless it was worth it for this years run.

IMO, Wren and the Braves organization were in their "forward thinking mode" when they decided to pursue Edward Salcedo, Dominican shortstop. 18 y.o.. Admittedly, I didn't know about this kid until listening to 680thefan the other day and they were talking about him as the future for the Braves in the next couple of yrs. With the Braves having a 2.5-mil club option on Gonzalez for 2011, Salcedo could be ready for the bigs by then.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/02/21/braves-could-sign-top-shortstop-prospect/

excerpt:

Braves sign Dominican shortstop prospect

7:05 pm February 21, 2010, by David O'Brien

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — The Braves signed highly regarded Dominican shortstop prospect Edward Salcedo to a free-agent contract that includes a $1.6 million signing bonus.

Major League Baseball conducted an investigation at the Braves’ request, and determined recently that Salcedo is legimately 18 years old now.

He’s about 6-3 and 190 pounds, wiry strong and athletic.

The Braves lost their first-round pick in the June 2010 draft as compensation to Boston when they signed free-agent closer Billy Wagner. The signing of Salcedo, in their view, effectively replaces that pick.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100223&content_id=8123082&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

excerpt:

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

02/23/10 8:35 PM ET

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- During the past offseason, the Braves attempted to improve their organizational depth at the shortstop position. With the acquisition of Dominican shortstop Edward Salcedo, they have done so in an impressive manner.

Atlanta announced Tuesday afternoon that it has signed Salcedo, an 18-year-old shortstop, who was regarded as one of the top available talents on the international market. The young infielder received a $1.6 million signing bonus.

"This is a significant signing for us," Braves director of international scouting operations Johnny Almaraz said. "We feel that Edward is one of this year's most talented prospects. He has outstanding makeup, and the combination of his fielding and hitting ability make him one of the top international players that we've seen in a while."

With his five-tool talents, Salcedo has led some Braves talent evaluators to draw comparisons to Marlins All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez.

IMO, Wren and the Braves organization were in their "forward thinking mode" when they decided to pursue Edward Salcedo, Dominican shortstop. 18 y.o.. Admittedly, I didn't know about this kid until listening to 680thefan the other day and they were talking about him as the future for the Braves in the next couple of yrs. With the Braves having a 2.5-mil club option on Gonzalez for 2011, Salcedo could be ready for the bigs by then.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/02/21/braves-could-sign-top-shortstop-prospect/

excerpt:

Braves sign Dominican shortstop prospect

7:05 pm February 21, 2010, by David O'Brien

Lake Buena Vista, Fla. — The Braves signed highly regarded Dominican shortstop prospect Edward Salcedo to a free-agent contract that includes a $1.6 million signing bonus.

Major League Baseball conducted an investigation at the Braves’ request, and determined recently that Salcedo is legimately 18 years old now.

He’s about 6-3 and 190 pounds, wiry strong and athletic.

The Braves lost their first-round pick in the June 2010 draft as compensation to Boston when they signed free-agent closer Billy Wagner. The signing of Salcedo, in their view, effectively replaces that pick.

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100223&content_id=8123082&vkey=news_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

excerpt:

By Mark Bowman / MLB.com

02/23/10 8:35 PM ET

LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. -- During the past offseason, the Braves attempted to improve their organizational depth at the shortstop position. With the acquisition of Dominican shortstop Edward Salcedo, they have done so in an impressive manner.

Atlanta announced Tuesday afternoon that it has signed Salcedo, an 18-year-old shortstop, who was regarded as one of the top available talents on the international market. The young infielder received a $1.6 million signing bonus.

"This is a significant signing for us," Braves director of international scouting operations Johnny Almaraz said. "We feel that Edward is one of this year's most talented prospects. He has outstanding makeup, and the combination of his fielding and hitting ability make him one of the top international players that we've seen in a while."

With his five-tool talents, Salcedo has led some Braves talent evaluators to draw comparisons to Marlins All-Star shortstop Hanley Ramirez.

Yep. Another good point. Forgot about this kid. Apparently he's the real deal.

Braves just took 2 of 3 from the Padres. ATL hasn't lost a home series in 3 months. These boys are rolling. I wonder if we can hang on to this run of play.

Let's hope they can, they have 6.5 or 7 game lead right, don't take much for another one of the division teams to get on a nice streak... I hope they can hang on, everything seems to be going their way of late!

Another blown save by Wagner last night; that's two in less than a week. Is Wagner's age and fatigue catching up to him as the season draws toward conclusion?

i dont think so...he still looked good to me and was throwing hard...Braves look a little hungover coming out of the all star break...but i think they will be fine.

i dont think so...he still looked good to me and was throwing hard...Braves look a little hungover coming out of the all star break...but i think they will be fine.

And it's 150 degrees...that'll take the starch out of anybody!

I'm not quite ready to give up on the Braves just yet. As has been the case all year, when the bats show up then they are a pretty good baseball team. I still believe that despite the 3.5 game lead the Braves have in the NL East, they are still playing for the Wild Card. I am afraid the Phillies are going to come around in the second half of the season and finally play like arguably one of the top 3 teams in the MLB that they are.