Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In case anyone wants to watch any of the spring games ....:)

Mr. Heyward and Braves coming up tomorrow.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/03/01/braves-have-11-tv-games-this-spring/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

Braves have 12 TV games this spring

1:44 pm March 1, 2010, by David O'Brien

12 – The number of Braves spring-training games that will be televised in at least the Atlanta area, including three national broadcasts on ESPN.

That’s one benefit of playing home games in a complex recently renamed ESPN’s Wide World of Sports.

Tuesday’s Grapefruit League opener against the Mets will be on the MLB network, and CSS has the next TV games March 9 against the Phillies and March 11 against the Yankees.

Next on the tube after that are March 16-17 games against the Marlins on SportSouth, then three on ESPN March 23 vs. Mets, March 24 vs. Phillies and March 26 vs. Tigers.

CSS has two more games March 30 against the Yankees and March 31 vs. the Astros, and the last two exhibition games of the spring against the White Sox at Turner Field will be carried on SportSouth (April 2) and Fox Sports South (April 3).

Great article on Billy Wagner.

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/wagner-has-quickly-become-340028.html

excerpt:

"LAKE BUENA VISTA, Fla. – The Braves noticed quickly that you can take the boy out of Tannersville, but can't take Tannersville out of the boy. Or the man, in this particular case. Because there's nothing about Billy Wagner that seems boyish anymore."

"The Braves' new closer is 38, with more hair on his chest than head. He's listed generously at 5 feet 10 and 180 pounds, a height he's probably never known, a weight he hasn't for some time.

He's stout around the middle, thick in the thighs, thicker in the calves. His regular attire – on the farm, in the hotel lobby, at the ballpark, wherever -- is jeans, collared western shirt and boots, topped off with a cowboy hat.

That's a look you must own or leave at home."

It's official. Jason Heyward has finally struck out. 14 plate appearances, 5 spring training games.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/03/06/heyward-doubles-vs-astros-hitting-400-for-spring/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I've personally thought he should get some AAA experience before he makes a move to the Big League, but after the spring he's had so far, my mind is slowly changing. Let's see if he can keep up this play.

• 2 weeks later...
It's official. Jason Heyward has finally struck out. 14 plate appearances, 5 spring training games.

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/03/06/heyward-doubles-vs-astros-hitting-400-for-spring/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

I've personally thought he should get some AAA experience before he makes a move to the Big League, but after the spring he's had so far, my mind is slowly changing. Let's see if he can keep up this play.

The kid is ready. The fact is, none of the other outfielders on the roster have anywhere close to his talent. It's time to put him on the field and get his career going. I'm stoked to see how the guy does. I need something to get to excited about sports-wise; haven't had anything since high school football ended. It's been a LONG three months, four when baseball starts in April.

• 2 weeks later...

Heyward to open season as Braves Right Fielder

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/03/26/heyward-will-open-season-as-braves-right-fielder/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Braves manager Bobby Cox informed Jason Heyward this morning that he has made the team.

The top Braves propsect will open the season as the Braves right fielder.

Cox said he told Heyward: “I’m delighted to tell you you’re on the team, Jason, simply because you make us a better team.”

Heyward making the team and starting was a no-brainer because none of the other outfielders are remotely comparable in ability. I DVR'ed the three Atlanta spring training games on ESPN this week. They interviewed Heyward during the game on Wednesday and again today after he was lifted for a pinch-runner late in the game. The maturity, character, and humbleness the young fella has is mind-blogging considering his age and talent. He's going to be a PR dream for the Braves, MLB, and any companies that step forward to have him represent their products. I'm just glad I got an autographed baseball and bat before the prices skyrocketed like they did this afternoon when it was announced he would be starting.

Edited by Bluefield_Rules

Since the board has been a little slow on sports talk lately, I'll do a little "filler" for my part.

The Gwinnett Braves, Triple A, had their "funfest" this past Saturday. We took the "K5 little one" down for the event.

Had not been inside the stadium before .....driven by it a lot....a really super nice facility that opened last year.

He ran the bases and high-fived "Chopper" the mascot when rounding third....had his photo made with the Easter bunny.

We went in the stadium store and bought a Gwinnett Braves shirt.....he got Javy Lopez, Brian Jordan and Pete Smith to sign it.

We then went on a tour of the facility. There was a group of adults and he was the only child.

The tour guide took us to see the suites (for rent) showed us all the advantages points, then through a few eating areas....and in the last area the guide after doing his "spiel" ....ask if anyone has any questions.

Guess....who was the only one that raised their hand....the "K5'er". His question......"when do we get to see the REAL baseball stuff"? All the adults cracked up laughing....some man said "that's the best question I've heard all day."

That question garnered him special favor to walk beside the tour guide as we entered underneath the stadium. The guide let him go into one of the two batting cages ....and, oh yeah, he was taking his practice swings...minus a real bat....where Jason Heyward did last year. The grin on his face was enormous.

We, also, got to see all the boxes of Louisville Slugger bats that had not been unpacked yet, some of them had been put in the "cubby holes" and we got to touch them.

Then we got to go into the players locker room....saw Sammons, Blanco, Acosta jerseys, to name a few, hanging in their allotted places.

Then, we exited the tour and he wanted to run the bases again....did that and then ended our day at the G Braves Stadium. Cover your eyes G-man...... then to Steak 'n Shake for a "cheese bugger". :)

First off, I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world, it makes me want to jab knives into my eyes, but I am and have been an Atlanta Braves fan. I've heard about Heyward and heard about what he's been hyped up to be. I'm sleeping through the previous game, and I wake up just in time for Heywards at bat. Wow, what a future this guy will have.