Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

Yeah, we got no hit. But we won the series. I'll take it.

I agree. Still a pretty poor showing by our team last night though. That basicaly means we were up at the plate AT LEAST 27 times and we couldnt even manage a hit. Which is pathetic.

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree. Still a pretty poor showing by our team last night though. That basicaly means we were up at the plate AT LEAST 27 times and we couldnt even manage a hit. Which is pathetic.

Sounds like Graham baseball...:D

Glaus and Heyward both with yard in the bottom of the 9th and have sent it to xtra innings!

Both with 2 outs too...

Hopefully they can close it out in the bottom of the 10th. Don't want to see one of those 20+ inning games like last weeks Cardinals vs. Mets.

Oh, and if you didn't know already, Heyward is going to be SPECIAL. :D

I hope the comeback win will ignite the team and get them on a bit of roll. Hopefully, it'll ignite guys like McLouth and Glaus, who have been horrible at the plate thus far. And what can you say about Heyward? He might be only 20-years old, but he's already building quite the legend. I love his homerun "trot;" it has to be the fastest in the Majors...

http://atlanta.braves.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100420&content_id=9440060&notebook_id=9440912&vkey=notebook_atl&fext=.jsp&c_id=atl

excerpt:

"ATLANTA -- As Spring Training progressed, there were already some Braves fans wondering when Jason Heyward would make his way toward the middle of the lineup. After the first two weeks of the season, manager Bobby Cox isn't ready to make any radical changes.

But Cox did position Heyward in the sixth spot of his lineup for Tuesday night's series opener against the Phillies. This marked the fourth time this season that Atlanta's 20-year-old right fielder batted sixth. But it marked the first time that Heyward was positioned this high in a lineup that included both Chipper Jones and Brian McCann.

"We'll just move him up one [spot]," Cox said. "He always comes up in some nice situations."

With his walk-off single with two outs in the ninth inning Sunday against the Rockies, Heyward once again showed his ability to be a solid run producer. In the process of producing a team-high 15 RBIs through his first 12 games, he has compiled a Major League-best .727 (8-for-11) batting average with runners in scoring position.

Yunel Escobar, who ranked second in the Majors with the .373 batting average he produced with runners in scoring position last year, flip-flopped batting order positions with Heyward on Tuesday night. Since producing five RBIs on Opening Day, Escobar has hit .209 and driven in just three runs."

So what the solution in Cold-lanta? Is Pendleton the problem or it is the simple fact we need to unload overpaid, underachieving players like Glaus? Personally, if the current trend continues I'd like to see the Braves start calling up young prospects in July and build for the future. If you going to lose and play lousy you might as well do it while building for the future.

so what the solution in cold-lanta? Is pendleton the problem or it is the simple fact we need to unload overpaid, underachieving players like glaus? Personally, if the current trend continues i'd like to see the braves start calling up young prospects in july and build for the future. If you going to lose and play lousy you might as well do it while building for the future.

amen!!!

So what the solution in Cold-lanta? Is Pendleton the problem or it is the simple fact we need to unload overpaid, underachieving players like Glaus? Personally, if the current trend continues I'd like to see the Braves start calling up young prospects in July and build for the future. If you going to lose and play lousy you might as well do it while building for the future.

See, that's exactly how you sabotage the future... The Braves have some good young prospects but they need to let them develop in the minors. Nothing good can come from bringing a kid up before he's ready.

Glaus is actually one of the lowest paid veterans on the team. The Braves are taking a chance on him because a) they're getting him for next to nothing, and b) he was their only option.

As for this season, 2nd place in the NL East continues to be my expectation. My only hope is they aren't close enough at the trade deadline to be tempted to trade prospects for a superstar they can't resign... Someone like Mark Teixeira for whom they gave up 4 top-prospects that are now paying HUGE dividends for the Texas Rangers.

See, that's exactly how you sabotage the future... The Braves have some good young prospects but they need to let them develop in the minors. Nothing good can come from bringing a kid up before he's ready.

Glaus is actually one of the lowest paid veterans on the team. The Braves are taking a chance on him because a) they're getting him for next to nothing, and b) he was their only option.

As for this season, 2nd place in the NL East continues to be my expectation. My only hope is they aren't close enough at the trade deadline to be tempted to trade prospects for a superstar they can't resign... Someone like Mark Teixeira for whom they gave up 4 top-prospects that are now paying HUGE dividends for the Texas Rangers.

You make a good point BigD, especially about bringing up kids too early, but something needs to change. How many years has it been since the Braves have been in the playoffs? Seems like to me the team has been trying to rebuild since the Glavin, Smoltz and Maddox days.