Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/heyward-does-it-again-531282.html

excerpt:

Catcher Brian McCann, whose two-run homer highlighted a three-run first inning for the Braves, also has come to expect this stuff from Heyward.

"It's amazing," McCann said. "I can't imagine being 20 years old and coming up here expecting to produce like he does, and the way he handles himself, how humble he is. Take away the baseball, and he's [still] off-the-charts as a human being."

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, 7-run 9th inning to stun the Reds! Maybe, just maybe the Braves are turning the corner; they're back above .500 at 21-20. And the Conrad guy has had several huge hits in spot duty thus far this season. Honestly, and I hate to say it, but he has been more productive than Chipper.

Well, we're just over 1/4 through the season, and the Braves are 3.5 back of the Phillies (2nd-NL East) and 2 back of the Wild Card (Cincinnati/L.A.).

I don't think the Braves or its fans can ask for much better considering an 8-14 start to the season.

The upcoming road games, especially the next series against Florida, are crucial to the outlook of the season.

If Atlanta can't win on the road (10-15) or in their division (4-10) then they won't have much of a shot at anything in the postseason.

Following are quotes from the clubhouse after last night's RAINY game.....Huddy puts the "losing stretch" in perspective:

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/05/28/braves-postgame-comments-from-the-clubhouse-thursday-night/

excerpt:

Hudson on pulling to within 1 ½ games of the Phillies:

“When we lost nine in a row, man, a game and a half back seemed like forever away,†Hudson said. “We’ve done a nice job getting back to where we are now. We’re not satisfied. There are a lot of games left. We just got to keep plugging along.â€

Glaus really knocking in runs,now with 37,Heyward with 38,Hinske filling in in left and ist,hitting well,real productive for number of at bats.If we can get Chipper to have a decent season,escobar and Cabrera to begin hitting and we have seen some improvements among those 2,we have a chance.Prado is having an all star year at second base,leading the league in hits,and the relief pitching has been better.Obviously,it will help to get Jurrjens back healthy.

Hudson against Hamels

McCann and Escobar need to hit.

Last year numbers were 14-76-299 for Escobar

21-94-281 for McCann

13-68-274 for Cabrera with Yanks

Cabrera is 26 years old with ton of experience for Yanks

Escobar is 28,coming into his own.

McCann is only 26

If we can get these 3 to start to hit with Heyward,Glaus and Hinskie,we should have a pretty good lineup,especially with Prado continuing to hit.

about to go 1.5 up :)

anyone remember the year the Reds were in first place for the ENTIRE season? I went to a few games that year and they were hard to beat...so many good memories over the years going to baseball games...if i lived in Atlanta I'd have season tix for sure.

and here we go again...Bobby Cox riding a pitcher way to long...bases loaded with Ryan Howard up trying to tie the game...Wagner on the way in...should have changed pitchers 2 batters ago...grrrrr.

Wasn't at the ATL Braves last night but, was at the Gwinnett Braves game ....(the K5er, now rising 1st. grader, was having "end of the season team BB" party there. They offer a party package for events as these.)

Kids were given baseballs and got to go down on the field, lined up for playing of national anthem, respectfully, removing their hats. After the G Braves took their positions on the field, all the kids ran out to each infield position and the players signed their balls. Just great memories for these young ones.

There were 2 games last night. The conclusion, starting from 4th., of previous night's game due to rain-out and then upon completion of that game, the other started approx. 30-40 mins. afterwards. (The second game went into rain delay, also, and we left just as the skies opened and a big bolt of lightning pierced the sky.)

Wanted to see Freeman, hot prospect for Braves, plays first but, he was out of game due to knee injury and was scheduled for a MRI.

Saw Jordan Schafer play CF. In the first game, he hit a ball to CF for a single. Leading off the base, the pitcher for the Indianapolis Indians threw over to first and when Jordan dove back to the base, the 1st. baseman stepped on his hand. Schafer laid there for a few seconds writhing in pain, then slowly arose with all the Braves personnel out there checking it out. Of course, I was wondering at the time if it was the wrist/hand on which he had surgery but, it wasn't. Hopefully, no problems, he continued on in the game, stealing second. However, not sure if he played in the second game.

Craig Kimbrel, predicted by some to be the future closer for the Braves, pitched last 2 innings of the suspended game getting the save.

Now the most exciting part of the night for me!!! I was standing there and just happened to look over and just a few feet from me, I saw this older gentleman, hmmm, he looks familiar. Then it dawned on me ......it's Phil Niekro, the HOFamer, just standing there by himself. Then, I saw a couple approach and ask for his autograph.....he didn't hesitate and signed their ball.

I then got "brave" enough to approach and said "I don't want an autograph but just want to shake your hand and thank you for the wonderful memories of your days with the Braves." He graciously thanked me and seemed pleased with my comment.

Then a few other ppl recognized him and approached. He was cordial to all that came up to him. (Later on,the rising 1st. grader said, "would you please sign my ball" and he replied, "if you really want me too".) Wow, what a class act . (I think he lives out around Lake Lanier.)

Final word on this event. The Gwinnett Braves stadium is first class. A great place, intimate, warm, family oriented. Everyone friendly, great fan interaction during the game by the operators of the stadium.

Edited by trublue