Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saito only pitched one inning at AAA Gwinnett, albeit scoreless.....but with his DL layoff, my managerial persona :D, would liked to have seen him face a few more batters before being recalled. Oh, well.....water under the bridge now.....

Found this interesting tidbit......

http://www.talkingchop.com/2010/6/24/1534847/braves-quote-for-the-day-home

excerpt:

"Each team plays 81 games on its own turf, and 81 games on someone else's. It's something that you generally only care about over smaller samples, like a single game or a single series, where one team spends less time at home than the other.

But it's with this in mind that I'd like to point out that the NL East-leading Braves have played just 31 of their 72 games at home. 31, or 43.1%.

At the 72-game mark, the average team will have 45 remaining home games and 45 remaining road games. The Braves have 50 and 40. The rival Mets, meanwhile, have 45 and 46, while the rival Phillies have 47 and 46."

====================================================================

Big D.....as far as Fredi G.....as future Braves manager.....I think you are right. Fredi was well liked here in ATL....and in fact, lives in Marietta (or May-retta as the ole timers called it).

Bobby's take on it....a little "salty".....:)

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/06/23/could-fired-gonzalez-be-coxs-successor/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

excerpt:

CHICAGO – Speculation about Braves manager Bobby Cox’s successor went from simmer to boil on Wednesday after Fredi Gonzalez was fired as Marlins manager.

Meanwhile, Cox blasted Marlins ownership over the move.

“He called me a little before 8 this morning,†said Cox, whom Gonzalez called from the Marlins’ hotel shortly after the firing. “I was shocked. I know that guy [Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria] is unpredictable, but I was still [surprised]…. After everything he’s done for that guy, are you [kidding] me?â€

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/06/25/wagner-braves-quotes-after-fridays-win/?cxntfid=blogs_atlanta_braves_blog

excerpt:

BILLY WAGNER

on striking out the side: “I don’t think you draw it up quite like that. I mean, that’s a fantasy-type situation. But I had ‘em swinging at some high pitches so, you know, you take it. Because it doesn’t happen very often.â€

Well, how does it feel to get to 400? “I don’t remember being so nervous about 399. I know that all today my kids were talking about coming to the game so they could see this, hoping I got the chance. It was fun to be out there.

“It was nerve-wracking because we’d lost, and you don’t want to put yourself ahead of the team. Knowing we needed this win, if you get out there and you start using that anxiety to go out there and you start going all over the place and get yourself in trouble. So just stay under control and make pitches, and tonight I made enough to help us win.â€

WAGS first Braves entrance (note his entrance music)

• 2 weeks later...

Don't look now, but the Braves are 5 up and moving on down the road! wow.

Early early early on I thought this team may be pretty good. Then we lost 9 straight. And obviously my confidence in us dropped. But now we're 5 games up? It's great to see. I hope we can continue this.

Early early early on I thought this team may be pretty good. Then we lost 9 straight. And obviously my confidence in us dropped. But now we're 5 games up? It's great to see. I hope we can continue this.

yeah going in to the season i thought they would be in trouble...but, they are getting run support from a few people you wouldn't have expected...when that starts happening you all of the sudden win those close games you find yourself in....pretty cool...hope they can stay healthy and the AS break doesn't scew them up.

The only improvement I would like to see is a little more power which could be produced by Escobar , who had 14 dingers last year , and 0 this year , McCann having a super second half , and Heyward coming back . The reserves have played great .

Prado 10-39-325 Who said he could not hit

Heyward 11-45-251 tailed off at the end possibly due to sore thumb

Jones 6-33-252 best on-base percentage on team . 50 walks

Glaus 14-58-254

Hinske 6-34-274 only 175 at bats plays 1st , 3rd , and LF

Cabrera 3-24-259 starting to warm up is a warm weather hitter 13-68-274 last year for yanks

Escobar 0-19-238 We need him to hit 14-76-299 last year

McCann 10-37-267 will do better second half

Infante- 2-24-332 What an asset plays everywhere to spell a player

Diaz is back and he can hit

Conrad and Ross have been great in reserve .

Pitching

Hudson 9-4 2.30 great pitcher

Lowe 9-8 4.35 throws strikes always gives you 6-8 innings experience

Hanson 8-5 4.13 still learning his craft

Medlen 6-1 3.16 darn good

Jurrjens 1-3 5.40 last 2 starts since coming back from injury have been great last year 14-10 2.60 era on a non-hitting team .

I think we have 5 starters who can keep us in games and our relievers are the best I have seen.

Wagner and Venters and Saito have been great in bullpen along with Moylen . The Braves have experience and youth and some proven players off other teams that have won , for example Cabrera , Hinske . Wagner , Saito

http://blogs.ajc.com/atlanta-braves-blog/2010/07/14/braves-send-escobar-to-blue-jays-for-gonzalez-in-5-player-deal/

excerpt:

The Braves have traded shortstop Yunel Escobar and minor-league pitcher Jo-Jo Reyes to the Toronto Blue Jays in a five-player deal that nets shortstop Alex Gonzalez.

AHHH!!! YEEEESSS! YES! YES! YES! Buh-bye bad attitude. Hello bat!! Needless to say, I think this is a good move. We'll see how far it takes us.

My only concern is the age of Gonzalez compared to Escobar. However, there are have been consistent rumbling of issues between Escobar and his teammates/management. For this year, it's a great trade, but we'll see how it works out in the future. At least they didn't have to trade of any of the young pitching prospects and got rid that the enigma that is Jo Jo Reyes.

My only concern is the age of Gonzalez compared to Escobar. However, there are have been consistent rumbling of issues between Escobar and his teammates/management. For this year, it's a great trade, but we'll see how it works out in the future. At least they didn't have to trade of any of the young pitching prospects and got rid that the enigma that is Jo Jo Reyes.

Not only the age but this is the only year where Gonzalez stats have compared to the last 2 years for Escobar , and I believe Toronto home stadium is more of a launching pad .

STUPID TRADE!!!

Gonzalez is 33 years old and has a career batting average of .248!!! If Escobar was a cancer fine, trade him, but don't screw the future in the process!!!

The Braves actually had a shortstop AND a closer in the All-Star game last night... Except they were playing for the American League as members of the Texas Rangers. Who did Atlanta get from that deal again? Oh yeah, they got someone to play 1B FOR THE YANKEES!!!

STUPID TRADE!!!

Gonzalez is 33 years old and has a career batting average of .248!!! If Escobar was a cancer fine, trade him, but don't screw the future in the process!!!

The Braves actually had a shortstop AND a closer in the All-Star game last night... Except they were playing for the American League as members of the Texas Rangers. Who did Atlanta get from that deal again? Oh yeah, they got someone to play 1B FOR THE YANKEES!!!

The Braves haven't been skewered enough for making bone-headed, defenseless trades over the years.

They did it in the '90s, too. They just had the pitching to save them...

this is the Braves making the move for THIS year...they are not looking down the road and are trying to do what it takes to win NOW...if it works out, then it was a good trade, if not it was a horrible trade...we won't know until the season is over to be honest.

I understand they did it for THIS year, but even if they win it all it will still be a bad trade in my opinion. Escobar has more upside than Gonzalez ever had. He's having a bad 2010 but that happens. And this is the first season his average has ever been lower than Gonzalez's career high of .278 (which was 11 years ago!).

And this isn't like Francour at all. His slump lasted a season and a half before they gave up on him. This trade is about Escobar not getting along with his teammates, which is fine, trade him, but get equal value! A straight up trade of Escobar for Gonzalez isn't equal in my opinion. I guess like most trades, this one will be decided in a few years when we see how the prospect pan out.