Official 2010 Atlanta Braves thread

bluefieldRocks

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another outstanding day at the plate for Heyward with three runs batted in and two runs scored.

He is easily the best player on the team. At this point for certain, and arguably the outright best at any point.

But a good day for Melky and Glaus too. Both went 2-3 at the plate and Cabrera had 3 RBI's today too.

Heyward, Glaus, Infante, and Cabrera all had two hits today.

Gotta feel for Chipper. He's 0'fer in his last 14 AB's. Hope he gets it turned around real quick. We definitely need his bat.

Edited by hokie07

Why is everyone so excited about the Braves sweeping the Astros??? I mean, its the ASTROS...the worst team in the NL and would be the worst team in MLB if it weren't for Baltimore.

Beating the Astros is kinda like beating Graham in baseball...

After the 9 games STRAIGHT losses.....who "would have thunk" the Braves could "sweep" a series anytime soon. Just because the 'Stros are a "cellar dweller" team......doesn't diminish the sigh of relief heard from the Bravo fans. :D

Watch out NL east a "storm is brewing".....oh, wait......that's another team I support :)

Why is everyone so excited about the Braves sweeping the Astros??? I mean, its the ASTROS...the worst team in the NL and would be the worst team in MLB if it weren't for Baltimore.

Beating the Astros is kinda like beating Graham in baseball...

Why am I excited to be the Astros? It's because were the BRAVES, the Braves who had a 9 game losing streak just a few days ago.

Another homer for Heyward tonight in only his second at-bat; I love it. The price of Heyward memorabilia is going through the roof, especially baseball cards. I own four Heyward cards, which currently book for $500, 500, 400, and 200.

I bought an authentic gray Braves jersey this past winter and it didnt come with anybodies name or number on the back. I'm probably going to get his put on it. Or maybe McCann.

Edited by bluefieldRocks

WASHINGTON -- Atlanta Braves manager Bobby Cox is laughing off a Capitol Hill cake mix-up.

Cox was honored earlier this week with a ceremony in Washington hosted by U.S. senators Johnny Isakson of Georgia and Jay Rockefeller of West Virginia. The Braves were in town to play the Nationals, and Cox was saluted for his long time in baseball.

But the decorative writing on the dessert cake misspelled his name in a rather unfortunate way.

Cox says he didn't even know about the mistake until Wednesday. He says the cake was already cut when he enjoyed a piece.

Bobby Cocks

Heyward is finally returning tonight and is now #3 in the batting order!

Yahoo has him batting 2nd in the lineup. As long as Chipper is playing, he'll be in the 3rd spot.

Seeing Heyward batting clean-up would be awesome, but as bad as the Braves offense has been thus far, I don't care where he's batting in the order as long as he's in there somewhere! So glad to have him back in the lineup.

EDIT: Nevermind, Yahoo is all screwed up. They had Prado batting first.

Edited by hokie07

Glaus is having an EXCELLENT May thus far. Hopefully, he's getting comfortable in a Braves uniform and will help out throughout the season. At this point, I'd like to see him and McCann swap places in the batting order and move him to the clean-up position. That's what he was brought to Atlanta for, so let him do it. I'm still disappointed in Melky, but Eric Hinske has been quite the pleasant surprise in filling his void.

Question: Kawakami (0-6) starts vs. the Reds tomorrow night. Does he go for his 7th loss?

I said it last year, and I'll say it again. Personally, I'd love to see Kawakami switch places with Kris Medlen and come out of the bullpen as a middle relief pitcher. If Medlen holds his own in these next couple of starts (as he did tonight), then he should stay in the starting rotation even after Jurrjens returns from the DL. He's too good of a pitcher to only see spot relief.

Looking toward the new manager next year.....I said the other day that Fredi Gonzalez would be a good candidate. Here's an article from today's AJC:

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/05/19/fredi-gonzalez-should-top-of-braves-list-to-replace-cox/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

excerpt:

"It’s quite possible that Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez was the leading candidate to replace the Braves’ retiring manager, Bobby Cox, even before this week. If he’s not at the top of the list now, something is seriously wrong.

Gonzalez was liked and respected in the Braves’ clubhouse when he was here as a coach. He reaffirmed what kind of leader he was this week."

==============================================================================================

Don't look now, but in the first, Chipper drives in a run and BMac a 2 run homer.....hope this is the beginning of the middle order of the line up "getting it going". :)

Wanted to post this about Terry Pendleton and his "other job."

(I am on this campus at times dropping off the K5er at the Village (K4 thru K6) located beside the elementary bldg. This school has their carpool lanes, one for the Village, one for the elementary, running at peak efficiency.)

http://www.ajc.com/sports/atlanta-braves/pendleton-gets-outs-at-530012.html

excerpt:

"This season the Atlanta Braves’ bats have had their ups and downs, but one mission remains constant for hitting coach and former star Terry Pendleton.

Braves hitting coach Terry Pendleton works the carpool line, getting the kids out quickly and safely at his daughter's school, Greater Atlanta Christian in Norcross. When he's at the school, he's just dad to daughter, Trinity, not a former MVP and Braves star.

Even when his major league team returns late from the West Coast, during homestands Pendleton, 49, shows up for his curbside lineup at Greater Atlanta Christian School's elementary building in Norcross."

Another JHey walk-off win!

I was watching the game on FoxSports Ohio, and even the Reds announcers couldn't find a negative thing to say about Heyward the entire game. He's history in the making. I'm keeping my eye out for an autographed baseball.

Looking toward the new manager next year.....I said the other day that Fredi Gonzalez would be a good candidate. Here's an article from today's AJC:

http://blogs.ajc.com/jeff-schultz-blog/2010/05/19/fredi-gonzalez-should-top-of-braves-list-to-replace-cox/?cxntfid=blogs_jeff_schultz_blog

excerpt:

"It’s quite possible that Florida manager Fredi Gonzalez was the leading candidate to replace the Braves’ retiring manager, Bobby Cox, even before this week. If he’s not at the top of the list now, something is seriously wrong.

Gonzalez was liked and respected in the Braves’ clubhouse when he was here as a coach. He reaffirmed what kind of leader he was this week."

==============================================================================================

Don't look now, but in the first, Chipper drives in a run and BMac a 2 run homer.....hope this is the beginning of the middle order of the line up "getting it going". :)

Only problem with Gonzalez is he already has a job. Under the MLB's tampering rule the Marlins would have to grant the Braves permission to speak to him, and I doubt that would happen since they are division rivals.

You are correct. However, as the article stated the Marlins' owner "waffled" somewhat last yr. in bringing Fredi back.

The last few sentences in the article are encouraging.

excerpt:

"For what it’s worth, Gonzalez’ contract runs through 2011.There are ways around these things. The Braves need to find that way. When Cox steps down, they will never have an easier decision."

Edited by trublue

I was watching the game on FoxSports Ohio, and even the Reds announcers couldn't find a negative thing to say about Heyward the entire game. He's history in the making. I'm keeping my eye out for an autographed baseball.

It may not be a good time to buy, the price of his stuff is very high. With that said, I have been able to land a ball, bat, and several of his high-end autographed rookie cards for reasonable prices.