disecting the swd teams

Pick_Six_27

tsk....tsk....falconman. Ummmmm.....let me see if I've got this straight.

It's okay for you to get on this board pre-season all other sports.....and predict Abingdon (no offense to the many good ppl in A-town) will take the crown in baseball, basketball, track, swimming, ballet and basketweaving....but, for anyone to give a favorable nod to Richlands as the "likely" pre-season SWD football favorite ....that's being bias according to you.

Really....some ppl would disagree by simply saying....."until the Tornados have the wind taken out of their sails".....they're the "odds-on favorites."

Everyone wants the SWD to be competitive in football.....yes, even the falcons....and they certainly should be if enrollment is the overriding factor.....

Richlands is not just an isolated football team.....they're a football community. Community support for the team runs deep.... from the "feeder" midget programs producing the next believers, to the business community and leaders showing their support with tangible assets, to the "l2th. man" that follows their team to the road games making it almost like a "home game" enviroment for the Richlands' players.

And last, the Richlands coaches....the significant equation that pulls this whole scenario together. These coaches put in more time, dedicate more personal hours, and foster a sense of confidence in these young men.... they as players are the "defenders" of the reputation of the Richlands football program. Week after week during the football season....these young men during this remarkable run over recent years.....play NOT just football....but, they play for all of the above mentioned....they play Richlands football for themselves and the Richlands community.

Agree with Big D, well said!!

Life has many choices---eternity two

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

tsk....tsk....falconman. Ummmmm.....let me see if I've got this straight.

It's okay for you to get on this board pre-season all other sports.....and predict Abingdon (no offense to the many good ppl in A-town) will take the crown in baseball, basketball, track, swimming, ballet and basketweaving....but, for anyone to give a favorable nod to Richlands as the "likely" pre-season SWD football favorite ....that's being bias according to you.

Really....some ppl would disagree by simply saying....."until the Tornados have the wind taken out of their sails".....they're the "odds-on favorites."

Everyone wants the SWD to be competitive in football.....yes, even the falcons....and they certainly should be if enrollment is the overriding factor.....

Richlands is not just an isolated football team.....they're a football community. Community support for the team runs deep.... from the "feeder" midget programs producing the next believers, to the business community and leaders showing their support with tangible assets, to the "l2th. man" that follows their team to the road games making it almost like a "home game" enviroment for the Richlands' players.

And last, the Richlands coaches....the significant equation that pulls this whole scenario together. These coaches put in more time, dedicate more personal hours, and foster a sense of confidence in these young men.... they as players are the "defenders" of the reputation of the Richlands football program. Week after week during the football season....these young men during this remarkable run over recent years.....play NOT just football....but, they play for all of the above mentioned....they play Richlands football for themselves and the Richlands community.

Goodness, that's how Graham USED to be. And I miss it dearly.

But a wonderful post you made!

Football used to bring the Graham community together...with large crowds and pride in the community...and people talking football all the time... I miss it also, I sure hope that kind of pride in Graham football returns, it was a great run, just hope it's not over.

From false assessments to strength of schedule, this board has become a rah, rah, richlands board. "Lets just go ahead and crown them" After all, you guys have. Here in ABINGDON "We play to win the game!" I don't want for my falcons to be blinded by past experiences, but see the light of victory, hear the nation of falcons chant 'Falcon Awesome!'" Yes, if we would listen to you guys, there would be no need for a Football Game or even a Season. No, we would just chime in right here on swvasports.com and decide the best team. And you would never give it to us! Thats why we lace em up every friday night and strap it on (whew that just fired me up can't wait till football season) Thats why I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Falcons are going to the playoffs this year. Yes, I said it!

One RB in SWD: Crosswhite (remember the name)

They are talking about history and not recent success . They have a great tradition but take a cakewalk throught region 4 until Cave Spring last year kicked their butt , a team Salem had to hold down the score on 42-0 after leading 35-0 at halftime. Winning one game against a good team ever once in a while sounds like the boise st argument.They do not have the horses to run with the big boys-that is why they play single a teams . I am sure Willis White does not want to go to Richlands after the long cleat incident.

They are talking about history and not recent success . They have a great tradition but take a cakewalk throught region 4 until Cave Spring last year kicked their butt , a team Salem had to hold down the score on 42-0 after leading 35-0 at halftime. Winning one game against a good team ever once in a while sounds like the boise st argument.They do not have the horses to run with the big boys-that is why they play single a teams . I am sure Willis White does not want to go to Richlands after the long cleat incident.

As far as last year one should realize the Richlands team was pretty much juniors and sophomores and done pretty good to be so young, actually our down year. As for Cave Springs , kind of like comparing the 2006 Hidden Valley vs Richlands game and the Hidden Valley game with Salem that year, means nothing. Didn't Cave beat Christiansburg and then Christiansburg beat you guys whats that mean.

Doesn't a bunch of your coaches up that way have roots from the coal fields, "Who's your Daddy"

As far as horses, looks like we got some this year. This could be our year to skew the normal curve.

SURE LOOKS LIKE FOOTBALL SEASON IS GETTING CLOSER!!!!!!!!!

(1) Way to bring up something that happened eighteen freaking years ago. Honestly, I'm not from Richlands, and I get sick of hearing something that no one in the current Richlands locker room had any control over.

(2) I think you're off on the "Boise State Argument". First, they've beat Oregon and Oklahoma, not exactly a couple of stiffs. And we'll sure see soon enough if they have the horses to run with the Hokies. And I think you might be disappointed at the result...

(3) Who can fault Richlands for not wanting to drive 2 hours to play against the nearest team with similar logistics that can compete with them (apart from Bluefield, of course)? This aside from the fact that the best schools in SWVA outside Richlands ARE the Single-A schools you talk down about.

Edited by UVAObserver

Must have hit a nerve. I still have a great amount of respect for the Salem program. Every community has at least one fan that is detached from sensibility. The cleat remark has no sting anymore, its all been said before. No big deal. But I sometimes wonder if the fact that Richlands won a state title before Salem ever won one aggitates the Spartan Nation. Goliath thought that David couldn't run with the Big Dogs either. Goliath also got smacked in the mouth.

Its all about matchups. As referenced before look at the Richlands/Cave game and Christiansburg/Salem. Salem hammered Cave and got beat by Christiansburg. In addition, I think its funny everyone says the Roanoke teams are way to fast for the SWD, why is it that when we went to Cave they had a hard time keeping up with some of our guys. This season Richlands could compete with Cave,Bburg,Cburg,Salem..........just my opinion.

]They are talking about history and not recent success . They have a great tradition but take a cakewalk throught region 4 until Cave Spring last year kicked their butt , a team Salem had to hold down the score on 42-0 after leading 35-0 at halftime. Winning one game against a good team ever once in a while sounds like the boise st argument.They do not have the horses to run with the big boys-that is why they play single a teams . I am sure Willis White does not want to go to Richlands after the long cleat incident.

(1) Way to bring up something that happened eighteen freaking years ago. Honestly, I'm not from Richlands, and I get sick of hearing something that no one in the current Richlands locker room had any control over.

(2) I think you're off on the "Boise State Argument". First, they've beat Oregon and Oklahoma, not exactly a couple of stiffs. And we'll sure see soon enough if they have the horses to run with the Hokies. And I think you might be disappointed at the result...

(3) Who can fault Richlands for not wanting to drive 2 hours to play against the nearest team with similar logistics that can compete with them (apart from Bluefield, of course)? This aside from the fact that the best schools in SWVA outside Richlands ARE the Single-A schools you talk down about.

Watcher, you are such a pathetic loser. You are clueless. As Observer noted, some of the best teams in the area are Single-A, and the enrollment at Richlands is not growing, but declining, as it is with several schools in Southwest Virginia. It won’t be long before Richlands drops to Single-A as well. As far as Boise State is concerned, you’re off your rocker. Great program with a great coach. They can compete with anybody. Remember Oklahoma? This just sounds like more jealousy and envy to me. Go back to sticking your head up Barak Obama’s butt and leave the sports talk to the grown-ups. “kaaaaay”?

Edited by blueinbama

It's a little ironic that you mention "recent success". In comparison to Salem, Richlands has the more recent state title (2006) and the more recent state final appearances (2006, 2007). Just because a school hasn't won a title in the last 3 years doesn't mean they haven't been successful..........

Also, comparisons mean nothing, but Richlands did beat Hidden Valley by a much larger margin than did Salem in 2006...........jus sayin

I think, who gives a rats arse!

Haha i agree its impossible to pick a winner or a better program over useless statistics and non stop babbling theyre both great programs and untill they play each other i think we should just give it a rest

.They do not have the horses to run with the big boys-that is why they play single a teams . QUOTE]

I wonder if the watcher would be making this statement if Salem played Gate City every year.

Probably, because Salem plays very good AA teams every year...

Richland's can't help where they are located, and it's not likely that they will travel, or that a quality AA team will travel, that's just the hand they're dealt, and that's what people should realize, I think.

I think that Grundy will have a good season this year. They have a very experienced team. They have a big senior class with a lot of holdbacks. I have heard rumor of the single wing idk. However I think they will put together a good showing for the last year in the SWD! The Kelly to Rife/Justus/Rife/Justus is as good as any. Bergelowe has gotten bigger and the run looks stronger than last year. The Defense Compton puts out is always tough. Minus a few big plays last year could have been huge. It was still a really good year though. I look for a better season this season. I can't wait to see what we got!

Guest cj_vt

I would agree with the Carrol County fan that Richlands can be beat. With the home cooking that goes on in Carrol County they could probably beat VT on any givin night.

I would agree with the Carrol County fan that Richlands can be beat. With the home cooking that goes on in Carrol County they could probably beat VT on any givin night.

Agreed as far as the home cooking at CC goes. The only problem for CC this season is that they play Richlands @ Ole' Ernie Hicks Stadium on EMATS Field.

• 2 weeks later...

those days at CC are pretty much over...now it's just a long ride down there for the SWD teams....have to feel bad for those CC boys when they have to make the long road trips to see us as well, i'm sure they don't like it either.

which is why they should put them in a different district...but oh well.