disecting the swd teams

Pick_Six_27

who has the best (quarterbacking, runningbacks, wide receivers, tight ends, O-Line, D-line, Linebackers, and Secondary)

Alright I will take the bait and break it down by position, keep in mind I am not sure who graduated around the area.

Quarterback- Lockhart- Richlands probably first simply because Coach Mance always has the Quarterback ready and he might just have the best arm Richlands has had since going to the spread, 2nd A and B Hess- Abingdon and Kelly- Grundy assuming Kelly still plays QB both are good athletes and smart players Hess probably more athletic but Kelly has a good arm as well

Runningbacks- I don't think I am being biased here but RB is a one horse show after Brett Johnson transferred from Marion this year Devon Johnson- Richlands is steps above anyone else and when Austin Johnson lines up in the back field he is twice as dangerous but without Devon's power, If B. Johnson was still at Marion it would be a much closer gap but I dont see anyone in the district on Devon's level, 2nd probably Berglowe of Grundy I guess but who knows Carroll County always has a decent running back or two

Widereceiver- Again I just dont see anyone with the kind of depth that Richlands has Austin Johnson is the fastest player in the district when he lines up out there, Brad Strong can catch the football Sean Overton is a good WR and from all reports several others have stepped up and are really going to challange for catches they simply have too much depth at wide receiver, 2nd at this position who knows it like running back so a steep drop from 1st to 2nd but I would say Abingdon and Grundy in some order unless Mountain is back for Taz then they could jump in there somewhere

Tightends- I really dont know doesnt seem like anyone is loaded at TE when Richlands lines Lowe and Thomas they look good but it doesnt happen very often, the only two TEs that come to mind from last year are Graham and Taz and both graduated so I wont pick anyone here

Oline- Richlands just the fact that they return so much size, 2nd probably Carroll if memory serves they had a couple of good linemen coming back, Taz's line could come together as well they return alot and Grundy has a scrappy Oline small but experienced

Dline- Richlands by alot Will Lowe, Hunter Brown Nick Wolfe just too many good players plus none of those guys have to play offense going to be tough to block a fresh Will Lowe when he is only playing one side of the ball and you are playing both ways, Tazewell 2nd as long Shaq stays healthy and can keep him from getting fatigued

Linebackers- I give the edge to Richlands here simply because everyone else was hit so hard by graduation at this position, Cody Thomas and Bunker are both good tacklers and with that line in front of them it should free them up alot (its going to take at least a double team to have much chance at keeping Will Lowe off your QB) plus they put Devon Johnson in there sometimes to speed rush and he is tough to stop, Graham and Carroll both seem to reload at linebacker every year so I wouldnt at all be suprised for one or both of them to put good linebackers on the field

Secondary- Richlands again simply because they return so many players, they have Vance Strong Fajardo and Overton all back off the all district teams last year, plus Austin Johnson is being recuited by D-1 schools as a cornerback a position he hardly ever plays at Richlands the other schools were just hit to hard by graduation, 2nd here best I can remember probably Marion but again they were hit hard by graduation in their secondary as was Graham

Kick Returner- Austin Johnson- Richlands by a pretty big margin, 2nd if he is back would be Mountain (I simply dont know what grade he was in) of Tazewell other than him best I can remember the kid from Grundy was pretty shifty

Kicking game- probably Strong Richlands again because most everyone else graduated if my memory serves me correctly didnt the kicker/punters for Graham Carroll Abingdon Tazewell and Marion all graduate?

Sorry if it seems I picked Richlands in all of the categories but the rest of the district was hit to hard by graduation, almost the entire all district team graduated except for all the Richlands players and Brett Johnson who transferred

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great analysys!

I believe Mountain was a senior last year.

From what I understand, Devon Johnson will likely start at LB.

Lockhart has a strong arm but I don't know if we will ever see another one like McCracken.

From what I have seen, I can't argue against Richlands with so many returning quality skills players on both sides of the ball. Tazewell, is an unknown because of the change in coaching, I suspect Shaq to be a beast on the D-line, Stout and Brady will be better after a year's varsity experience. Grundy has a nice core group of players who have been fun to watch and should have an exciting senior season. As for Graham, the only kids who got a lot of playing time last year were Keith Dunn and Lamont. That makes them a complete unknown.

Agree

Life has many choices---eternity two

Don't get me wrong McCracken in my opinion was the best QB we have seen in that time period and that won't change but his strength wasn't in arm strength so much as it was in decision making, he could always find the open man and always end up running the ball 2 yards past the first down marker.

Don't get me wrong McCracken in my opinion was the best QB we have seen in that time period and that won't change but his strength wasn't in arm strength so much as it was in decision making, he could always find the open man and always end up running the ball 2 yards past the first down marker.

I agree, he was a very good runner, even though he wasn't fast, but he also had a very strong arm. That's how I remember him at least.

In my opinion he is one of the best QB's to play at Richlands. Had alot of zip on the ball, very accurate and could sling it a mile.

Very accurate and when he needed a little help, he had an outstanding corp of receivers that could adjust to make the catch.

Life has many choices---eternity two

Best so far for sure. His height allowed him to find receivers beyond that big O line.

He also took most all reps for two years, by his second year he was very aware of what the other D's were trying to do and could pick them apart. Most all teams feared #7 so much it created some good missmatches.

Edited by thundercloud
grammar

Richlands still play one of the easiest schedules in Virginia?

Go ask Willis White and Magenbauer (or any other coach in the River Ridge) if they want to add Richlands to their schedule. Then ask the same group how many would like to travel to Richlands every other year. The problem isn't that Richlands doesn't want to play more AA schools. The problem is that very few want to travel to Tazewell County to get smacked in the mouth. The list of great AA football teams that got shell-shocked in Ernie Hicks Stadium is very impressive. That list does include the Salem Spartans. I am one football fan in Richlands that has a great deal of respect for the Salem program and what Coach White and Coach Magenbauer have accomplished is tremendous. The true hero of Salem Football is Larry Bradley, whose roots run from none other than Grundy. I am sure that Lance and some of the Golden Wave fatihful on here will accept a gracious "thank you" in reference to the great Coach Bradley. Do me a favor "watcher", get a map. Richlands is geographically located right in the middle of Single A country. Every team in the SWD with the exception of Abingdon and Carroll County (CC should actually be in the River Ridge) have claims to be Single A. That includes the giant killing Richlands Blue Tornado. You my friend are not a football coach. Go ask a Salem football coach why they do not schedule Richlands. I guarantee you the answer will not be "because they play a weak schedule."

Best so far for sure. His height allowed him to find receivers beyond that big O line.

He also took most all reps for two years, by his second year he was very aware of what the other D's were trying to do and could pick them apart. Most all teams feared #7 so much it created some good missmatches.

I agree thundercloud he was one of the best so far but alot of people seem to forget about little #7 he opened up alot of things for that offence. The balance of the offence those two years was so good the opp. didn't know witch one to defend the pass or run. The 05,06 Richlands teams were very Blanced team.

Go ask Willis White and Magenbauer (or any other coach in the River Ridge) if they want to add Richlands to their schedule. Then ask the same group how many would like to travel to Richlands every other year. The problem isn't that Richlands doesn't want to play more AA schools. The problem is that very few want to travel to Tazewell County to get smacked in the mouth. The list of great AA football teams that got shell-shocked in Ernie Hicks Stadium is very impressive. That list does include the Salem Spartans. I am one football fan in Richlands that has a great deal of respect for the Salem program and what Coach White and Coach Magenbauer have accomplished is tremendous. The true hero of Salem Football is Larry Bradley, whose roots run from none other than Grundy. I am sure that Lance and some of the Golden Wave fatihful on here will accept a gracious "thank you" in reference to the great Coach Bradley. Do me a favor "watcher", get a map. Richlands is geographically located right in the middle of Single A country. Every team in the SWD with the exception of Abingdon and Carroll County (CC should actually be in the River Ridge) have claims to be Single A. That includes the giant killing Richlands Blue Tornado. You my friend are not a football coach. Go ask a Salem football coach why they do not schedule Richlands. I guarantee you the answer will not be "because they play a weak schedule."

Very well said Old School Blue

I remember going to see "Bradley's Bunch" play when I was a kid...I remember the success he brought to those teams on many different levels...there were a couple of very sad things that went on during his time off the field and the football team probably learned more under him than you could ever express in X's and O's on a chalk board. I wish I could have played for him at least one year...I got Seizemore, Curia, and Rowe in my years.

From false assessments to strength of schedule, this board has become a rah, rah, richlands board. "Lets just go ahead and crown them" After all, you guys have. Here in ABINGDON "We play to win the game!" I don't want for my falcons to be blinded by past experiences, but see the light of victory, hear the nation of falcons chant 'Falcon Awesome!'" Yes, if we would listen to you guys, there would be no need for a Football Game or even a Season. No, we would just chime in right here on swvasports.com and decide the best team. And you would never give it to us! Thats why we lace em up every friday night and strap it on (whew that just fired me up can't wait till football season) Thats why I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Falcons are going to the playoffs this year. Yes, I said it!

One RB in SWD: Crosswhite (remember the name)

From false assessments to strength of schedule, this board has become a rah, rah, richlands board. "Lets just go ahead and crown them" After all, you guys have. Here in ABINGDON "We play to win the game!" I don't want for my falcons to be blinded by past experiences, but see the light of victory, hear the nation of falcons chant 'Falcon Awesome!'" Yes, if we would listen to you guys, there would be no need for a Football Game or even a Season. No, we would just chime in right here on swvasports.com and decide the best team. And you would never give it to us! Thats why we lace em up every friday night and strap it on (whew that just fired me up can't wait till football season) Thats why I'm going to go out on a limb and predict that the Falcons are going to the playoffs this year. Yes, I said it!

One RB in SWD: Crosswhite (remember the name)

You never did answer my question Falconman. Here it is again:

Well, I've searched and searched, and I've yet to find anything supporting this rant. Falconman, show me one post that says Richlands people think they are the only team that works hard in the off season. Just one.

I know you haven't answered because there are no such posts. You come here and brag and rant about how good the Falcons are going to be, and when the season gets going the excuses start flying. Your jealousy toward Richlands is transparant. Get a life, support your team, and stop being a crybaby about Richlands.

tsk....tsk....falconman. Ummmmm.....let me see if I've got this straight.

It's okay for you to get on this board pre-season all other sports.....and predict Abingdon (no offense to the many good ppl in A-town) will take the crown in baseball, basketball, track, swimming, ballet and basketweaving....but, for anyone to give a favorable nod to Richlands as the "likely" pre-season SWD football favorite ....that's being bias according to you.

Really....some ppl would disagree by simply saying....."until the Tornados have the wind taken out of their sails".....they're the "odds-on favorites."

Everyone wants the SWD to be competitive in football.....yes, even the falcons....and they certainly should be if enrollment is the overriding factor.....

Richlands is not just an isolated football team.....they're a football community. Community support for the team runs deep.... from the "feeder" midget programs producing the next believers, to the business community and leaders showing their support with tangible assets, to the "l2th. man" that follows their team to the road games making it almost like a "home game" enviroment for the Richlands' players.

And last, the Richlands coaches....the significant equation that pulls this whole scenario together. These coaches put in more time, dedicate more personal hours, and foster a sense of confidence in these young men.... they as players are the "defenders" of the reputation of the Richlands football program. Week after week during the football season....these young men during this remarkable run over recent years.....play NOT just football....but, they play for all of the above mentioned....they play Richlands football for themselves and the Richlands community.

Alright I will take the bait and break it down by position, keep in mind I am not sure who graduated around the area.

Quarterback- Lockhart- Richlands probably first simply because Coach Mance always has the Quarterback ready and he might just have the best arm Richlands has had since going to the spread, 2nd A and B Hess- Abingdon and Kelly- Grundy assuming Kelly still plays QB both are good athletes and smart players Hess probably more athletic but Kelly has a good arm as well

Runningbacks- I don't think I am being biased here but RB is a one horse show after Brett Johnson transferred from Marion this year Devon Johnson- Richlands is steps above anyone else and when Austin Johnson lines up in the back field he is twice as dangerous but without Devon's power, If B. Johnson was still at Marion it would be a much closer gap but I dont see anyone in the district on Devon's level, 2nd probably Berglowe of Grundy I guess but who knows Carroll County always has a decent running back or two

Widereceiver- Again I just dont see anyone with the kind of depth that Richlands has Austin Johnson is the fastest player in the district when he lines up out there, Brad Strong can catch the football Sean Overton is a good WR and from all reports several others have stepped up and are really going to challange for catches they simply have too much depth at wide receiver, 2nd at this position who knows it like running back so a steep drop from 1st to 2nd but I would say Abingdon and Grundy in some order unless Mountain is back for Taz then they could jump in there somewhere

Tightends- I really dont know doesnt seem like anyone is loaded at TE when Richlands lines Lowe and Thomas they look good but it doesnt happen very often, the only two TEs that come to mind from last year are Graham and Taz and both graduated so I wont pick anyone here

Oline- Richlands just the fact that they return so much size, 2nd probably Carroll if memory serves they had a couple of good linemen coming back, Taz's line could come together as well they return alot and Grundy has a scrappy Oline small but experienced

Dline- Richlands by alot Will Lowe, Hunter Brown Nick Wolfe just too many good players plus none of those guys have to play offense going to be tough to block a fresh Will Lowe when he is only playing one side of the ball and you are playing both ways, Tazewell 2nd as long Shaq stays healthy and can keep him from getting fatigued

Linebackers- I give the edge to Richlands here simply because everyone else was hit so hard by graduation at this position, Cody Thomas and Bunker are both good tacklers and with that line in front of them it should free them up alot (its going to take at least a double team to have much chance at keeping Will Lowe off your QB) plus they put Devon Johnson in there sometimes to speed rush and he is tough to stop, Graham and Carroll both seem to reload at linebacker every year so I wouldnt at all be suprised for one or both of them to put good linebackers on the field

Secondary- Richlands again simply because they return so many players, they have Vance Strong Fajardo and Overton all back off the all district teams last year, plus Austin Johnson is being recuited by D-1 schools as a cornerback a position he hardly ever plays at Richlands the other schools were just hit to hard by graduation, 2nd here best I can remember probably Marion but again they were hit hard by graduation in their secondary as was Graham

Kick Returner- Austin Johnson- Richlands by a pretty big margin, 2nd if he is back would be Mountain (I simply dont know what grade he was in) of Tazewell other than him best I can remember the kid from Grundy was pretty shifty

Kicking game- probably Strong Richlands again because most everyone else graduated if my memory serves me correctly didnt the kicker/punters for Graham Carroll Abingdon Tazewell and Marion all graduate?

Sorry if it seems I picked Richlands in all of the categories but the rest of the district was hit to hard by graduation, almost the entire all district team graduated except for all the Richlands players and Brett Johnson who transferred

Thats all you guys know is richlands! Also, trublue, sports should be for fun, not with pressure. But wait, you guys have to come here this year . . . . shhh . . no pressure. haha

Edited by Falconman

tsk....tsk....falconman. Ummmmm.....let me see if I've got this straight.

It's okay for you to get on this board pre-season all other sports.....and predict Abingdon (no offense to the many good ppl in A-town) will take the crown in baseball, basketball, track, swimming, ballet and basketweaving....but, for anyone to give a favorable nod to Richlands as the "likely" pre-season SWD football favorite ....that's being bias according to you.

Really....some ppl would disagree by simply saying....."until the Tornados have the wind taken out of their sails".....they're the "odds-on favorites."

Everyone wants the SWD to be competitive in football.....yes, even the falcons....and they certainly should be if enrollment is the overriding factor.....

Richlands is not just an isolated football team.....they're a football community. Community support for the team runs deep.... from the "feeder" midget programs producing the next believers, to the business community and leaders showing their support with tangible assets, to the "l2th. man" that follows their team to the road games making it almost like a "home game" enviroment for the Richlands' players.

And last, the Richlands coaches....the significant equation that pulls this whole scenario together. These coaches put in more time, dedicate more personal hours, and foster a sense of confidence in these young men.... they as players are the "defenders" of the reputation of the Richlands football program. Week after week during the football season....these young men during this remarkable run over recent years.....play NOT just football....but, they play for all of the above mentioned....they play Richlands football for themselves and the Richlands community.

Very well said!

Thats all you guys know is richlands! Also, trublue, sports should be for fun, not with pressure. But wait, you guys have to come here this year . . . . shhh . . no pressure. haha

Okay, you're hard to decipher.....however, let me throw this common known phrase out there for ya....."winning is fun" vs. the alternative.

Pride in an accomplishment does not equate to pressure.....the same attitude in one's classroom work could also be applied....or the extreme alternative by "degrading" someone's successful system will somehow make everything right in your universe.

51-7 at halftime last year-------Richlands returns 19 out of 22.........I'm sure the pressure is overwhelming

For the past 2 weeks I've watched about 70 young men working their butts off. They don't act like someone is going to give them anything. I see more determination in this team than any other team I've seen. The physical size and speed of this bunch is unreal.

I want to see Richlands lose as bad as anyone thats not from Richlands....but they have been the best team around for a while now and until they get knocked off they will continue to be the best.

I do know Graham has had a good turnout in the weight room and they are working hard. Don't know what will happen with them as far as wins/losses this year. Either Davidson or Gearhart will be QB...probably Davidson at QB and Gearhart at TE. The backfield will be quick. They will have Adderius Jackson back along with Lamont Edwards and probably Cody Hatfield. Recievers look to be possibly Gabe Hurt, Seth Gearhart, Yehu Castillo, & Joe Grubb. Graham's line has Keith Dunn, Mike Atwell & Shawn Hatfield returning. They are good linemen with good size and speed. Plus I've heard there are some other kids out this year that are good athletes but haven't played football in a while. All I know is I can't wait for Friday nights in the fall!!!!!!