If Tazewell County had only one high school....

futbolking

The schools in this area (A or AA) are compared to schools from the rest of the state which generally are much larger, if the playing field was leveled (consolidation may take care of that) SWVA would be more than competitive!

What if Tazewell County consolidated and only had one high school with an enrollment of around 1,600 (Around the size of Pulaski County High School)....How good would that team be???....WOW!!

Would be real nice, with all the talent from all the schools and all the talent from all the coaches, would be great to see, the only thing I think would be a problem would can they all get along and work together? You guys and gals on here know as well as I do, where ever you go to school through out the years your taught not to like this school and that school, it may and may not be verbal, but you get the point through out youe middle and high school days.

Would be real nice, with all the talent from all the schools and all the talent from all the coaches, would be great to see, the only thing I think would be a problem would can they all get along and work together? You guys and gals on here know as well as I do, where ever you go to school through out the years your taught not to like this school and that school, it may and may not be verbal, but you get the point through out youe middle and high school days.

True, but notice how we all get along when an "outsider" starts running his mouth...<cough>the watcher</cough>....

I agree with what you are saying. You played for Tazewell and I played for Richlands and we were both taught the we were each others rival. I wanted to beat Tazewell more than anything and I'm sure you felt the same way about the blues.

I know a lot of Richlands fans didn't feel like I did, but when Tazewell played for their state championship back in the 80's, I went up there cheering for them to win it and I never thought back when I was playing I would ever do that....LOL !

But, if we were to consolidate then I think the players would learn to work together.........after a while. It would take a little time to build that trust, but I think after a few games together they would make it work.

It would really depend on the coaches as much as anything. How they approach it. They would have to show that there's no bias towards one schools players over the others.

It could happen fairly soon or it might take a season or 2 but when it did come together.......wow !

True, but notice how we all get along when an "outsider" starts running his mouth...<cough>the watcher</cough>....

That's true....LOL ! It's kinda like a brother thing. I may act like I don't like him and call him names, but nobody outside of the family better do it !

could it be possible like with all the bus travel and everything? I know alot of counties do only have 1 high school, but how do they compare to the size of Tazewell county?

Lee High would be one to look at. Alot of travel time on buses there.

Lee Co should have brought Thomas Walker into the consolidation fold and went with two medium high schools instead of 1 big and 1 small. Lee Counties enrollment is much smaller than Tazewell Counties

Lee high has problems with community and school spirit (in general they dont have it, I have heard this from former Lee High students). It was just school not their school. Combine alot of politics and long travel times to get to school and you get dysfunction.

I think Tazewell Co has a nice balance with 3 schools and should leave it at that, unless of course the situation demands a change. Wise Co for instance needs to consolidate, they currently have 6 schools for about 1700 students, 3 would be a good solution. Dickenson Co has 3 schools for about 750 students, 1 is about right. Consolidation may not be far off for Buchannon Co either, close Council and send them over to Twin valley, close Hurley and send them to Grundy.

just my thoughts

Edited by redtiger

Lee Co should have brought Thomas Walker into the consolidation fold and went with two medium high schools instead of 1 big and 1 small. Lee Counties enrollment is much smaller than Tazewell Counties

Lee high has problems with community and school spirit (in general they dont have it, I have heard this from former Lee High students). It was just school not their school. Combine alot of politics and long travel times to get to school and you get dysfunction.

I think Tazewell Co has a nice balance with 3 schools and should leave it at that, unless of course the situation demands a change. Wise Co for instance needs to consolidate, they currently have 6 schools for about 1700 students, 3 would be a good solution. Dickenson Co has 3 schools for about 750 students, 1 is about right. Consolidation may not be far off for Buchannon Co either, close Council and send them over to Twin valley, close Hurley and send them to Grundy.

just my thoughts

I had a front row seat for the Lee Co. consolidation. Thomas Walker was not included for two very simple reasons: a) travel distances for students since Thomas Walker is 25 minutes from Ben Hur, and b) the majority of the opposition was in the Ewing- Rose Hill area.

In Lee Co. consolidation had strong support from the political leaders in both parties and it was an idea whose time had come. (I heard the leaders of each party stand up and say they would do what ever it took to make sure that consolidation happened.)

In the end consolidation has to make economic sense to the community, and in some places have the support of leaders with foresight is crucial.

Yeah, Thomas Walker didn't want a part of it. Some thought they should have just split Lee up and still have TW, and just go with three schools, but I don't think anyone truly knows if that would have been better or not. I don't see the problem with Lee. Seems things weren't like this when it first opened...this lack of pride and low support has occurred some 10-20 years down the road. Actually I think a lot of the school/community spirit thing has a lot to do with more parents being those former Pennington/Jonesville alums from the last years...something tells me you'll see a shift when more former Lee students become parents of those attending the school. Just in the past year or so however there has been a movement to get the school and community more involved, and a good bit coming from the students, which is what is needed. The girls basketball program had a nice following all the way up to Richmond and it didn't go unnoticed. The football program drew great crowds back in the day. Just because they've not been as successful lately shouldn't be a reason for the drop but it is. People can play the politics card all they want but its not much different anywhere else, here its just a bigger excuse for not wanting to get involved. The football program needs stability...plain and simple, not hard to figure out. There is plenty of talent, most years there is. You can't keep changes coaches and expect great things. I think the 2000 season marked the downfall, the moves made back then after Williams retired helped drag it down and then the next one didn't help either.

Harlan County reminds of Lee in its early form. They've got great support, a big school, they've got a good sized county with students doing a lot of travel, and they've got kids going to one school that came from schools in which were very hated rivals (much more so than was in Lee, Tazewell, or other places)...even the style of play from the team has been similar at times. HC is a good model to look at.

Edited by Beamerball

just my thoughts

That would be one heck of a bus ride from Council to Twin Valley.

What if Tazewell County consolidated and only had one high school with an enrollment of around 1,600 (Around the size of Pulaski County High School)....How good would that team be???....WOW!!

I've given this much thought through the years. Here's my take on it:

1. The high school MUST be in a centralized location: Tazewell. There's just too much land in Tazewell County to put it anywhere else. Even with a school in Tazewell, you're going to have parents from places like Bandy, Jewell Ridge, Falls Mills, and Yards throwing a gigantic fit. But it'd have to be in Tazewell. It'd probably fail on this topic, but let's assume it didn't.

2. There'd have to be a COMPLETE reconstruction of a school AND the sports facilities. The only things in Tazewell that would warrant keeping are the baseball field and Lincolnshire (for the purposes of a swimming program). We're talking over $10,000,000 to construct a brand new high school, and nearly that much to construct adequate facilities for the other sports. The school board's in dire straits with money right now, and they aren't going to sink $20,000,000 into the ground for this. But for the sake of argument, let's say the TCSB would allow it.

You'd have a school with just over 1600 like you said. This used to be lower D5, but the VHSL would undoubtedly grant a hardship exception, hence D4 and AA status.

In terms of sports, we're looking at:

1. Football: Multiple D4 state titles. Guaranteed. Sorry, Watcher, but it's true.

2. Baseball: Perennial state title contender. Not guaranteed, but VERY likely a title.

3. Softball: See baseball. Of course, neither 2 nor 3 would be any thanks to Graham...

4. Basketball: Perennial district champion. Occasional state title contender.

5. Golf/Tennis/Track/Soccer (M&W): District favorites, but would get blistered in Region IV.

6. Volleyball/Wrestling: Improvement, but negligible. May win district on occasion.

Sports that the TCSB "could" start: swimming, lacrosse (among others)

And this is before we even start talking about bands or performing arts. Combine the 3 bands in Tazewell County, and it'd be the best band west of U.S. Route 29. Add Richlands and Tazewell to Graham's successful theater program, and it would take off.

Edited by UVAObserver

I dont know alot about Lee Counties school issues, just what I have heard. But a school between Jonesville and Rose Hill to serve the western side of the county and one between Pennington and Dryden to serve the east makes sense to me. But I dont know a whole lot about population dispersement outside of the major communities. I do think it was smart to leave TW out of the consolidation, that is a very long drive from Ewing to Ben Hur.

One super school to serve the larger counties just doesent make sense to me regardless of what county your in. I dont know what Carroll Co was like before consolidation but wouldnt 2 high schools be a better setup/shorter travel/more competitive? Again I dont know anything about CCs population dispersement.

If you keep the enrollment around 500-700 you are preserving that "small school" feel while making the most sense economically.

Buchannon county would be a difficult county to consolidate, the terrain is so difficult (Dickenson Co faces alot of the same issues). It wouldnt be the most ideal situation (sending the council students to TV and surely those on Big A would go to Honaker and those down around Bee would go to Haysi) but going over the mountain isint too terrible of a ride, and with some road improvements it wouldnt be that bad. Besides if you dont send them to TV then where? Grundy is alot farther away. That may be something BC has to face soon, county enrollment is droping and Council is small already.

TCHS would have a TON of potential but I think the 3 school setup is optimal and should be preserved is possible

Edited by redtiger

It's been fun thinking about this and thinking about how well the TCHS would do in most sports especially in football, but it's not going to happen at least not for the foreseeable future for several reasons that have already been stated.

But mannnnnn, what a football team that would be !!

Yeah, Thomas Walker didn't want a part of it. Some thought they should have just split Lee up and still have TW, and just go with three schools, but I don't think anyone truly knows if that would have been better or not. I don't see the problem with Lee. Seems things weren't like this when it first opened...this lack of pride and low support has occurred some 10-20 years down the road. Actually I think a lot of the school/community spirit thing has a lot to do with more parents being those former Pennington/Jonesville alums from the last years...something tells me you'll see a shift when more former Lee students become parents of those attending the school. Just in the past year or so however there has been a movement to get the school and community more involved, and a good bit coming from the students, which is what is needed. The girls basketball program had a nice following all the way up to Richmond and it didn't go unnoticed. The football program drew great crowds back in the day. Just because they've not been as successful lately shouldn't be a reason for the drop but it is. People can play the politics card all they want but its not much different anywhere else, here its just a bigger excuse for not wanting to get involved. The football program needs stability...plain and simple, not hard to figure out. There is plenty of talent, most years there is. You can't keep changes coaches and expect great things. I think the 2000 season marked the downfall, the moves made back then after Williams retired helped drag it down and then the next one didn't help either.

Harlan County reminds of Lee in its early form. They've got great support, a big school, they've got a good sized county with students doing a lot of travel, and they've got kids going to one school that came from schools in which were very hated rivals (much more so than was in Lee, Tazewell, or other places)...even the style of play from the team has been similar at times. HC is a good model to look at.

I forgot about Harlan County. That is a good model to look at. I remember deer hunting over there when the talk first started about them (HC) consolodating. Most I talked to opposed it but it is doing very well since its opening.

I've given this much thought through the years. Here's my take on it:

1. The high school MUST be in a centralized location: Tazewell. There's just too much land in Tazewell County to put it anywhere else. Even with a school in Tazewell, you're going to have parents from places like Bandy, Jewell Ridge, Falls Mills, and Yards throwing a gigantic fit. But it'd have to be in Tazewell. It'd probably fail on this topic, but let's assume it didn't.

2. There'd have to be a COMPLETE reconstruction of a school AND the sports facilities. The only things in Tazewell that would warrant keeping are the baseball field and Lincolnshire (for the purposes of a swimming program). We're talking over $10,000,000 to construct a brand new high school, and nearly that much to construct adequate facilities for the other sports. The school board's in dire straits with money right now, and they aren't going to sink $20,000,000 into the ground for this. But for the sake of argument, let's say the TCSB would allow it.

You'd have a school with just over 1600 like you said. This used to be lower D5, but the VHSL would undoubtedly grant a hardship exception, hence D4 and AA status.

In terms of sports, we're looking at:

1. Football: Multiple D4 state titles. Guaranteed. Sorry, Watcher, but it's true.

2. Baseball: Perennial state title contender. Not guaranteed, but VERY likely a title.

3. Softball: See baseball. Of course, neither 2 nor 3 would be any thanks to Graham...

4. Basketball: Perennial district champion. Occasional state title contender.

5. Golf/Tennis/Track/Soccer (M&W): District favorites, but would get blistered in Region IV.

6. Volleyball/Wrestling: Improvement, but negligible. May win district on occasion.

Sports that the TCSB "could" start: swimming, lacrosse (among others)

And this is before we even start talking about bands or performing arts. Combine the 3 bands in Tazewell County, and it'd be the best band west of U.S. Route 29. Add Richlands and Tazewell to Graham's successful theater program, and it would take off.

1) Agreed, the central location would be Tazewell, probably best to have it on 460, outside of town. There would, of course, be flack from others, but it is geographically central.

2) After doing a little research, I found the most recent school built in the region, William Fleming, cost $57,000,000. Enrollments would be comparable Fleming has 1,600 students. That is a ton of money. The TCSB would have to do a heck of a sales job on the community.

3) But boy oh boy would you see academics soar with new programs, and as Observer said athletics and extra-curricular activities would be through the roof.

building costs are alot higher than one would think, estimates to consolidate Wise Co were anywhere from 45-80 million (I think those #s are correct), so unless there is no other clear choice its just not an option

It would cost a ton and it's too late to get any of the stimulus money the govt was throwing at the schools....

I would disagree about the earlier statement that Graham wouldn't contribute any to softball or baseball....

The baseball talent at Graham usually transfers to tazewell...about 4 or 5 kids transfer to Tazewell on a regular basis to play baseball...

Softball has some young talent coming up (my daughter included...they had a really good 13 and under team this year, coached by Jim Spencer)...if those girls stick together, they could go far...problem at Graham is and has been for years is the lack of coaching at the high school level...the guy is more like a rec league coach...and doesn't invest the time and effort into the program...but there are talented kids at the school, it's just not developed properly.

1) Agreed, the central location would be Tazewell, probably best to have it on 460, outside of town. There would, of course, be flack from others, but it is geographically central.

2) After doing a little research, I found the most recent school built in the region, William Fleming, cost $57,000,000. Enrollments would be comparable Fleming has 1,600 students. That is a ton of money. The TCSB would have to do a heck of a sales job on the community.

3) But boy oh boy would you see academics soar with new programs, and as Observer said athletics and extra-curricular activities would be through the roof.

Thanks for the research on William Fleming. Looks like I was being generous with my totals. ;). Such an insane amount!

I say the only way it's financially feasible is to have the land willed/deeded/donated, and to have local construction companies give bargain basement prices. Even then, it wouldn't be enough. It'd be worse than when the new courthouse was built (which is an architectural NIGHTMARE, BTW...)

You say 460 out of town? Toward the Bluefield or Graham side?

Thanks for the research on William Fleming. Looks like I was being generous with my totals. ;). Such an insane amount!

I say the only way it's financially feasible is to have the land willed/deeded/donated, and to have local construction companies give bargain basement prices. Even then, it wouldn't be enough. It'd be worse than when the new courthouse was built (which is an architectural NIGHTMARE, BTW...)

More flat land to the west of Tazewell. Somewhere around Pisgah. The biggest problems I see around Happy Mart are rock and the headwaters of the Clinch.

More flat land to the west of Tazewell. Somewhere around Pisgah. The biggest problems I see around Happy Mart are rock and the headwaters of the Clinch.

Good points, and I'd agree with all four things.

Say we put TCHS on the opposite side of 19/460 from Crab Orchard and east of the church. From Yards and Jewell Ridge, which I'd assume would be the longest drives of anyone in the county, Mapquest gives a driving time of 34 and 33 minutes, respectively. Let's round up to 40, because of lights and all.

That's plausible, but you'd have to increase the number of bus drivers by a fair bit if you want the kids to have any chance of getting home by 4:45. And that's later than ideal, too.

graham is in bluefield so it is the same side of tazewell think you may have wanted to say richlands or bluefield side of tazewell.