10-11 season

HURleyftbll343

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

These kids have been playing AAU ball together since they were 9 years old. They play 40-50 games per year and have won some big name tournaments. They competed as a group with no outside players against many "allstar" AAU teams that pull players from several schools. Last season they played up as 16U even though they were 15U in several tournaments. They will take some time to mature to varsity level, but they are extremely smart, have good size, and will push the ball. They were split up last year as three of them played varsity last year and the reast played JV. There will probably be 3-4 more sophs on varsity this year and maybe a freshman or 2. CC will shock some folks this year, but lookin ahead they should be a program to contend with over next 2-3 seasons.

I agree I saw them play Va High in a tournament back in the spring. A very athetic bunch, should be a tough team. Now if memory serves me correct VHS beat them , what does that say about VHS program

Hurley beat Va-High last year at the tournament at Va-High..

1) Carroll

2) Graham

3) Richlands

4) Abingdon

5) Marion

6) Grundy

7) Tazewell

My top 3-

I say Carroll takes home the district title this year if they can get past Graham. Carroll should expect big numbers from their two returning starters, #3- Ryan Gravely and #20- Mac Martin and Transfer Wesley Smoot. All should be contenders for First team all district. One could win player of the year if they can beat out Graham's Jordan Bryan. Carroll, with the right line-up could outsize most in the district with potential starters standing at 6-6, 6-5, 6-4, 6-3, and 6-0. So watch out for the Cavaliers. Graham should fare well in the district with contender for player of the year Jordan Bryan leading the way. Graham is the returning champs, and I'm sure they don't want to give up their title. Richlands should also bring some good things to the table with the Johnson Brothers and company. This year will be one to watch in the Southwest District.

1) Carroll

2) Graham

3) Richlands

4) Abingdon

5) Marion

6) Grundy

7) Tazewell

My top 3-

I say Carroll takes home the district title this year if they can get past Graham. Carroll should expect big numbers from their two returning starters, #3- Ryan Gravely and #20- Mac Martin and Transfer Wesley Smoot. All should be contenders for First team all district. One could win player of the year if they can beat out Graham's Jordan Bryan. Carroll, with the right line-up could outsize most in the district with potential starters standing at 6-6, 6-5, 6-4, 6-3, and 6-0. So watch out for the Cavaliers. Graham should fare well in the district with contender for player of the year Jordan Bryan leading the way. Graham is the returning champs, and I'm sure they don't want to give up their title. Richlands should also bring some good things to the table with the Johnson Brothers and company. This year will be one to watch in the Southwest District.

doesn't the runner up ( abingdon) return 4 starters? They will make a run for the title for sure. Trust me abingdon will finish 1-2 hopefully behind us though!!!! Carroll does sound like they will be good but I just dint see them building a team that strong in one year but who knows anyone can win it its all up for grabs

I honestly don't see abingdon in the top 3.

good I wouldn't either :)

How don't you see Abingdon in the top 3?

They are very talented and I think one of the better teams in the district. They lose 1 starter and everyone rules them out?

Unless there is something behind the scenes I don't know, I see Abingdonin that 1 or 2 spot

I was being sarcastic... sorry. Personally I don't see them losing the district. Graham won't be a bad team. Even with their the new players they still wont be as good as AHS. I'm not saying AHS cant be stopped, but they have a good team from top to bottom. Grundy will make things interesting like they always do. Richland will have the Johnson boys, but they are more athletic then basketball players. Plus their JV team was not very good.

I was being sarcastic... sorry. Personally I don't see them losing the district. Graham won't be a bad team. Even with their the new players they still wont be as good as AHS. I'm not saying AHS cant be stopped, but they have a good team from top to bottom. Grundy will make things interesting like they always do. Richland will have the Johnson boys, but they are more athletic then basketball players. Plus their JV team was not very good.

Ok, sorry for the misunderstanding.

I don't see Richlands being as good as last year since they lost Gunner McGee, he did shoot a lot but also made majority of their points. But maybe with him gone they will be more of a team which could really help.

How long is John Kelly our for Grundy? He was a great player and Grundy will definitly miss his size down low.

Abingdon is extremely long and it will be tough to get a shot off in the paint against them and tough to rebound.

Graham lost a lot but they have some Seniors that are hungry and have a lot of heart.

A little over a week until practice. Should be an exciting year!

Graham has a good program and they will be a solid group. I just want to see how well they shoot and how well they will play defense. They put a lot of pressure in man to man and any team that understands how to beat a man-to-man defense would give them a hard time because they are not very quick. But, that could be a different story this year.

Abingdon is big and athletic (been awhile since they’ve said that in the same sentence), but it will be interesting to see how they use them. They shot a lot from the outside last year. If Abingdon can replace some outside shooting with their size they will be solid team. I wonder if they will bring up younger Hess to handle the point guard position. Personally younger Hess is probably the best "basketball" player in the district in terms of ability.

CC is a decent team. If they can get a big man (which they say they have) they will be a decent team and would give Abingdon problems. Only one of the transferee brothers is pretty good (The one that does not play basketball). He's athletic and can jump... however; I do not know how well he can shoot. The other brother does not handle the ball well, but he's athletic too.

These three teams will be the battle this year. I do not think Richland and Grundy has enough to do much. Marion and Tazewell won’t be very good this year.

team. I wonder if they will bring up younger Hess to handle the point guard position. Personally younger Hess is probably the best "basketball" player in the district in terms of ability.

That doesn't say much for your district then because that kid was way over hyped last year.

He's a basketball player not an athlete playing basketball. Well I don't know when you saw him play, but I would invite you to check him out during AAU. His regular basketball season on JV as a 8th grader didn't look to impressive ( I would agree). However, I've seen him play in some legit AAU basketball tournaments he's what you want in a PG. It's your opinion but he's pretty legit.

He's a basketball player not an athlete playing basketball. Well I don't know when you saw him play, but I would invite you to check him out during AAU. His regular basketball season on JV as a 8th grader didn't look to impressive ( I would agree). However, I've seen him play in some legit AAU basketball tournaments he's what you want in a PG. It's your opinion but he's pretty legit.

Stephen steele was the PG last year and got some decent playing time? If im not mistaken he should be the starter this year!

Marion- has marshall wagner and i think the big guy branson bowman (sp) if they can develop some chemistry they might catch a few teams off guard and upset some team?

Tazewell also wont be to bad they have the running back from there football team whos athletic and i think some two pretty tall big men inside. They will for sure compete.

Grundy- Does anyone know when kelly will return/?

I think is fair to say there is some major possibility for some surprises this year!

I agree I saw them play Va High in a tournament back in the spring. A very athetic bunch, should be a tough team. Now if memory serves me correct VHS beat them , what does that say about VHS program

If my memory serves me correct this was the 16U tournament with a running clock and unorganized schedules. CC was a 14/15U team with no 16U. Plus I think VH team had a couple of outside players, maybe a kid from Lebanon. CC team was all from CC. In any case there were some good players on that VH team, no matter where they were from.

If my memory serves me correct this was the 16U tournament with a running clock and unorganized schedules. CC was a 14/15U team with no 16U. Plus I think VH team had a couple of outside players, maybe a kid from Lebanon. CC team was all from CC. In any case there were some good players on that VH team, no matter where they were from.

Your right, it was in Castlewood. The VHS team only had two 16 year old players, everyone else was 8th/9th graders and their was one kid from Lebanon on the team. If memory serves me correct CC had a really athletic PG and some good speed. I think CC may make some noise this year. Any team that commits to play basketball year round gets better and come the season has a step on the other teams that didn't. As for the good players on VH team I agree and thank you also. Hard work and commitment pays off lets hope it works out for all these teams that put it in!

• 3 weeks later...

Stephen steele was the PG last year and got some decent playing time? If im not mistaken he should be the starter this year.

Yes Steven is the starter, but Josh is the better baller. Josh gets more playing time than Steven, or at least he has the first two games. Whoever says Josh can't play, I dare you to put your best player up against him. See who outscores who. When Josh makes a shot, I'm not exaggerating, the entire Abingdon team and all the fans stand up to be ready to scream for the 2-3 points he just put up on the board.

nobody's really mentioned honaker on here.. kind of a surprise.. as for the bdd i dont think it would be a far stretch to say they'll win it.. not taking anything away from hurley but i dont think honaker's gonna be a pushover.. hurley needs to realize that they're by no means invincible just because they won the bdd crown last year.. im not sure where the players think they stand but from what i read every hurley fan has the idea that hurley is gonna walk right up to richmond and take state no problem.. i mean i understand they're excitement seeing as they went from pretty much the worst team in the district to being district champs in a few short years.. but thats no reason to get cocky.. if they keep themselves grounded and keep there heads outta the clouds then i can maybe see a possibility for a berth in the state tournament, but I've watched those boys play for a few years now and I've seen there overconfidence cost them a game or two..

first off where did you get the cocky part from? just because we have a little confidence in our team.i dont see anyone on here bragging about beating anyone. all i said is looks like a run to the state this year .we have a good group of kids and are very proud of them.i dont think anyone said anything negative of anyone. and i dont see anyone on our schedule that we can just run over.we will just keep cheering our boys on and hope for the best.p.s

bye the way good luck panthers

Edited by vtfan56

"bye" they way lol i never said anything about twin valley goin back to state or doin much of anything this year, that era's passed and we all know that haha.. and theirs nothing wrong with being proud of your team.. you should be.. but the worst thing those kids can do is get their ego's blown up, I'll be the first to admit they're probable to win the bdd this year.. but their bench just isnt deep enough to play competitively at a state level.. As far as the starters go, they're a great group of ball players.. inside the paint and out.. but what happens when a couple of em foul out? you can't win state with 5 good ball players..