Bad Ideas

pioneer23fan

Ok so I got on a soap box in one of the other threads but want some information on whethere anyone else had seen it..

I am not trying to take away from Richlands talent at all but would like to know if anyone else has ever experienced this I was told that they had but just wondering. You know in my experience with football I know it is a contact sport but with the talent that Richlands has why do you feel the need to punch?? Especially to punch to hurt. We had a player Friday night that was punched in the Adam's Apple 2 times and couldnt breath and had to go to the ER by Ambulance.

After the kid was taken out another player got a concussion and told the coaches that it was 1 player that was doing him the same way. Now like I said before Richlands has some Awesome talent there is no need to play dirty like that. Lebanon was definately not any type of threat at all so why do that??

I have watched football a long time and have never seen football like that at all. Lebanon and Honaker are huge rivals but they atleast play clean to each other. This player is going to hurt someone and it is only going to hurt him as he goes on to College if he chooses or when they go to the playoffs those teams are not going to take that either so that is only going to hurt the team. I was told that if it is brought up to others it would go on deaf ears because of the influence Richlands has.

I hope that you know that I dont by any means take away from the talent they have at all they have an awesome team and they really deserve their success but not when this 1 player takes away from all of that.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Don't really know who or what you are talking about. Was at the game and I didn't notice anything out of the ordinary.

Well he punched Salyers from lebanon in the adams apple he was playing defense back and he grabbed him by the jersey and hit him 2 times to the throat. After it happened I heard that he has done it before I dont know.I just know how dangerous that is. And hate it.

Sounds like sour grapes...but I digress...

Punching, pinching, poking, twisting, biting, bending...it happens a lot on the bottom of a pile. Sometimes the Refs see it and call it, sometimes they don't see it and the players get away with it. Some teams do it more than others. I've seen it quite a bit over the years by both teams who were ahead by a lot and by teams who were on the wrong end of the score. Sadly, its a part of the game even though it shouldn't be...

It is part of the game, some call it dirty I always just called it football. That being said I dont think punching is ok, poking unprotected areas, or a player using his forearm in the throat is simply just something that is done and I really consider it cheating. Football is rough. If the Richlands player was punching people in the throat that is out of line, if he was pushing them in the throat and it hurt, I think that is ok.

Attempting to injure another player is unacceptable and is completly different than trying to make him uncomfortable. Inflicting pain is ok, its part of the physical nature of football. Physical and agressive or vicious

I hope I dont come off as a jerk but thats how I see it.

I am not saying it didn't happen, but I didn't see it, nore did anybody that I have talked to see that. But if it did, then he should have been thrown out of the game so I just want to put it out there that I do not condone or like that type of play and I know for a fact that coach Mance doesn't either and don't put up with it, but you said on the other thread that he thrown punches on every play that he was close to a Lebanon player.....right ? He plays O & D, that seems like a lot of punches that the refs missed, because if you get caught throwing punches in a game you are to be ejected and suspended for the next game I believe.

He may have thrown a punch, and I want to be very " CLEAR ", I do "not condone " that in any way for any reason, but if he did, it was probably because he was frustrated at the Lebanon players for jawing and some things they were doing. They ( Lebanon ) were getting frustrated and started jawing with the blues players and I'd say that was why he did it , if he did.

Again, I'm not making excuses, just a reason as to why he "may" have done it.

Anybody that has played can tell stories about stuff that has went on especially in the bottom of a pile. I know I have been punched, eyes poked, kicked, pinched, and spit on, that doesn't make it right, it's just what happens.

Now I know some are going to get on here and say that I am being a homer and in some ways I probably am, but if he was doing this on every play he was close to a Lebanon player, it looks like he would have been caught at one time or another, I know they can't catch everything on every play, but the refs flagged Richlands 9 times for 90 yards & Lebanon 3 times for 30 yards I believe, so I don't think they were influenced by Richlands. ( Not saying anything about the refs guys, just talking about the supposed influence of Richlands )

By the way, where and what type of influence does Richlands have. If we have that type of influence I can assure you we know nothing about it !

I also want to say that I hope the young man from Lebanon is ok and will be able to play this coming week. I hate to see any kid get hurt for any reason !

I almost didn't hit the submit button because no matter what you write on this subject, especially if your're from Richlands, someone is going to take offense to it and take what you say wrong. I have tried to make it clear that I do not condone any kind of punching or dirty play going on by either team for any reason, but, I will defend the player until I see evidence that he did it.

I'm not saying your lying about this, I'm sure your not, I know you are telling what you heard from Lebanon's point of view, but people see things differently from different perspectives.

I'm also not going to let someone call our players dirty without defending them.

Hate to hear of the possibility of something like this happening. But basically, if it’s not on film it didn't happen. If you can find it on the game film and it appears to happen intentionally and with malicious intent then I say make a run at it. Otherwise it’s simply a part of a violent game.

I am not saying it didn't happen, but I didn't see it, nore did anybody that I have talked to see that. But if it did, then he should have been thrown out of the game so I just want to put it out there that I do not condone or like that type of play and I know for a fact that coach Mance doesn't either and don't put up with it, but you said on the other thread that he thrown punches on every play that he was close to a Lebanon player.....right ? He plays O & D, that seems like a lot of punches that the refs missed, because if you get caught throwing punches in a game you are to be ejected and suspended for the next game I believe.

He may have thrown a punch, and I want to be very " CLEAR ", I do "not condone " that in any way for any reason, but if he did, it was probably because he was frustrated at the Lebanon players for jawing and some things they were doing. They ( Lebanon ) were getting frustrated and started jawing with the blues players and I'd say that was why he did it , if he did.

Again, I'm not making excuses, just a reason as to why he "may" have done it.

Anybody that has played can tell stories about stuff that has went on especially in the bottom of a pile. I know I have been punched, eyes poked, kicked, pinched, and spit on, that doesn't make it right, it's just what happens.

Now I know some are going to get on here and say that I am being a homer and in some ways I probably am, but if he was doing this on every play he was close to a Lebanon player, it looks like he would have been caught at one time or another, I know they can't catch everything on every play, but the refs flagged Richlands 9 times for 90 yards & Lebanon 3 times for 30 yards I believe, so I don't think they were influenced by Richlands. ( Not saying anything about the refs guys, just talking about the supposed influence of Richlands )

By the way, where and what type of influence does Richlands have. If we have that type of influence I can assure you we know nothing about it !

I also want to say that I hope the young man from Lebanon is ok and will be able to play this coming week. I hate to see any kid get hurt for any reason !

I almost didn't hit the submit button because no matter what you write on this subject, especially if your're from Richlands, someone is going to take offense to it and take what you say wrong. I have tried to make it clear that I do not condone any kind of punching or dirty play going on by either team for any reason, but, I will defend the player until I see evidence that he did it.

I'm not saying your lying about this, I'm sure your not, I know you are telling what you heard from Lebanon's point of view, but people see things differently from different perspectives.

I'm also not going to let someone call our players dirty without defending them.

I truly dont take offense to your comments at all and I do know that is it caught on film. The sad part is those 2 werent even part of the play when it happened not under any pile just salyers on db and the other player on offense. Now I do know enough about football to know that under that pile there are punches and stuff that happens but when you grab one by the jersey and punch to the adams apple that is no accident. I know all of this is part of the game but all will come out and it should.

Sounds like sour grapes...but I digress...

Punching, pinching, poking, twisting, biting, bending...it happens a lot on the bottom of a pile. Sometimes the Refs see it and call it, sometimes they don't see it and the players get away with it. Some teams do it more than others. I've seen it quite a bit over the years by both teams who were ahead by a lot and by teams who were on the wrong end of the score. Sadly, its a part of the game even though it shouldn't be...

You know the boys and fans all knew going in that Richlands was going to hand us our tails! But if you play come to play! Its a game and no one on either side should play that way. Yes there were some words on the field but that is how it is.

You know the boys and fans all knew going in that Richlands was going to hand us our tails! But if you play come to play! Its a game and no one on either side should play that way. Yes there were some words on the field but that is how it is.

O yea and no sour grapes at all! I believe I said in my post that Richlands has some great talent and I dont take away from that at all!

I can see how you think the Naders are dirty. But, I think they play within the realms of the game, they do push the limit, but not as dirty as John Battle. I dont know if you've played them yet, but they hit in the back, take cheap shots away from the ball, cuss, twist, and pile on. They are the dirtiest.

I can see how you think the Naders are dirty. But, I think they play within the realms of the game, they do push the limit, but not as dirty as John Battle. I dont know if you've played them yet, but they hit in the back, take cheap shots away from the ball, cuss, twist, and pile on. They are the dirtiest.

lol, after this past friday, I'd be happy if we just hit someone....front, back, side, early, or late. You're full of it though. I've seen some Video of 3-4 years ago, and I'd agree with you. Our program isnt ran that way anymore......that coach is now an assistant at Abingdon though

lol, after this past friday, I'd be happy if we just hit someone....front, back, side, early, or late. You're full of it though. I've seen some Video of 3-4 years ago, and I'd agree with you. Our program isnt ran that way anymore......that coach is now an assistant at Abingdon though

He is a Falcon now, that is another reason why our D was so dominant. He knew your offense and your calls. Why else would I make that bet with you? The deck was stacked against ya big boy! ;)

He is a Falcon now, that is another reason why our D was so dominant. He knew your offense and your calls. Why else would I make that bet with you? The deck was stacked against ya big boy! ;)

no offense, but I coached at a camp with him, and he couldnt even call plays in a flag football game. He wouldnt know a run play if it bit him in the a$$....he also didnt have a weight program during his tenure as head coach at John Battle........he sure doesnt know Witten's playbook, and wouldnt understand it if he had a copy right infront of him. We're supporting him as next head coach of the Abingdon Falcons.

Cry, Cry, Cry....... Richlands wins and everyone has to take a shot at them. Didnt see anything like that, and more so, if the Refs had saw it, it would have given them another chance to reach into their pants and throw yet another Flag! Football is not a sport in which your go home with clean clothes, Your gonna get dirty and they will be injuries. Someone always trying to start something on here. Hell when i played, someone always trying to punch, spit, go through the facemask, punch below the belt, and it was Green jerseys, red jerseys, yellow jerseys!! If not an injury, someone talking about how Richlands tries to recruit some kid from another school. Always something.

Cry, Cry, Cry....... Richlands wins and everyone has to take a shot at them. Didnt see anything like that, and more so, if the Refs had saw it, it would have given them another chance to reach into their pants and throw yet another Flag! Football is not a sport in which your go home with clean clothes, Your gonna get dirty and they will be injuries. Someone always trying to start something on here. Hell when i played, someone always trying to punch, spit, go through the facemask, punch below the belt, and it was Green jerseys, red jerseys, yellow jerseys!! If not an injury, someone talking about how Richlands tries to recruit some kid from another school. Always something.

Ya know that isnt what I was trying to do at all and I was hesitant to say anything because I know Richlands is good and I am not trying to take away from that at all! SO I dont care what you or anyone else thinks! Punching and trying to put someone out of the game is not football! SO keep playing that way and see what happens cuz I guarantee when they go to the playoffs it wont fly and they may get it back to them! Good luck!

Ya know that isnt what I was trying to do at all and I was hesitant to say anything because I know Richlands is good and I am not trying to take away from that at all! SO I dont care what you or anyone else thinks! Punching and trying to put someone out of the game is not football! SO keep playing that way and see what happens cuz I guarantee when they go to the playoffs it wont fly and they may get it back to them! Good luck!

dont know much about the adams apple but that sounds like a serious situation.no doubt football has a little dirty side to it ,but if thats happening and it is shown on film more than once then it might need to be something that needs attention.richlands has a top of the line team in southwest va and dont need to spoil it with any classless acts .HOLD ON .DIDNT SAY THEY WERE CLASSLESS.IF THIS HAPPENED THE COACH NEEDS TO STEP IN AND TAKE CARE OF IT AND TAKE THAT KID TO HAVE A HEART TO HEART TALK.

I am never OK with cheap shots meant to injure. Just me but it is not part of the game of football. Only pu$$ies do it, whoever they play for. Its OK to hit a man hard and sometimes you even get fired up and hit late. Maybe flagged as well. Its all part of the game but cheap shots to injure are for boys who are not up to being a man and dealing with you face to face under the rules of the game and of society. That being said I think if this is on tape then it should be made public and sent to VHSL reps. Let them deal with it. I am a BLUES FAN to the end but if thats going on then it should be dealt with and the player removed from high school football completely. I am like others on here and have not seen it going on and have been to all the games except Abingdon. I know that there was a late hit retaliation by one of our players after he was hit late near the Richlands sideline. He hit the Lebanon player in the chest with both hands together but it was not a deliberate hit to the neck. Both players were flagged and the game become a lot more trash talking and cheap shots after that. I wish coach Mance would get a handle on the dumb mistakes by the Richlands players as the penalties will kill us when we get into the playoffs and maybe even the last three games on the schedule. Grundy looks to be for real this year. I think it would be great if we played a game with the only penalties being of the offsides variety but we don't appear to have the discipline to do that and it will bite us later on.

To me it seems because some teams know they don't have much of a chance they are trying to beat us in some form with their trash talk on the field. Players shouldn't respond with talk or bad actions they should just use it as motivation to execute that much better.

As far as this thread, really if your intentions are true they should be taken up with our coaches and not made into a public forum.

If its the kid i believe it is then i would agree with you pioneer! ive seen many times in more than football this happening with this player! and as a player if i saw this being done to one of my teammates intentionally there would be some ejections cuz it wouldnt be tolerated.

If its the kid i believe it is then i would agree with you pioneer! ive seen many times in more than football this happening with this player! and as a player if i saw this being done to one of my teammates intentionally there would be some ejections cuz it wouldnt be tolerated.

Well the sad part is it was brought to someone at the schools attention I am not going to say who but got no response! I am not exagerating! I know for a fact it was made known to RHS personnel! Now granted they may not have had time to address it but it has been made known to them. The reason I put this on here I wanted to know if it had happened to anyone else. The other problem with this paticular incident is the kid that suffered the injury had an injury to the neck last year!

To me it seems because some teams know they don't have much of a chance they are trying to beat us in some form with their trash talk on the field. Players shouldn't respond with talk or bad actions they should just use it as motivation to execute that much better.

As far as this thread, really if your intentions are true they should be taken up with our coaches and not made into a public forum.

I dont see a problem with it being posted here, if there is a legit problem like this then it needs to be looked at.

from what I understand, the same kid that is being accused was ejected from a BASKETBALL game for punching a kid...seems to be an ongoing thing.

that incident was previously discussed on here when it happened, I assume that is what you were are referring to?

link: http://www.swvasports.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17889

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Lebanon Player has been cleared to play this week and is doing pretty well. He is a very tuff kid and loves the game and will continue to play! Even after everything that he has had happen over the past 2 seasons! Good luck to all!

I don't know who did what pioneer but i do know that the pioneers tried to start several fights. When B. Strong goes after a player something is wrong. He went after one of your players for taking a cheap shot at his brother. After the play his brother got nailed in the back. So what I am saying is it went both ways!! I don't think any cheap shots should be allowed but if you give you should expect to receive. As for the refs. Those refs hate RHS and never call it fair. They even talk trash to our players. My nephew plays for the Blues and said they try to entice Richlands into flags. Argue if you want but I had refs from the area tell me first hand they would make calls to hurt the Blues. They thought I was from Tazwell. When I told them I was a Richlands GRAD they said they were just kidding!! So don't think the refs are above cheating. Hope the best for your team and hope they remain injury free!

Please post the film you mentioned or at least some pix's from the tape. I would love to see what your talking about.