Update on what's going on at Graham

Dung Marrs

Recently a group of concerned citizens attended the October school board meeting and discussed the concern for one man holding the titles of head coach and athletic director at Graham High School. This was due to the fact that the Graham home game against Princeton was given to Princeton and played at Princeton on October 1st. This was done so that coach Marrs could go watch his son sit on the bench at a football game in Chapel Hill, NC on October 2nd. John O'Neal has admitted that Graham recieved 60 percent of the gate in Princeton, but our band lost concessions and our sports programs lost 40 percent of OUR money because of one selfish man.

After the meeting it was decided that the best course of action would be to formally ask Cookie Johnson to schedule a meeting with Graham principal John O'Neal. At this meeting the group was going to ask for the removal of Doug Marrs as head football coach and athletic director. The date asked for was November 16th @ 7PM. When O'Neal finally got back to us he said Cookie Johnson had a scheduling conflict for that day, and suggested that he would only meet with us during school hours, so that most working people could not attend. So we asked for the 15th and got no response. After several days of trying to get O'Neal and being blown off or not having our calls returned we finally got a hold of Principal O'Neal this morning after the secretary ran him down in the lunch room. His response to our request for a meeting was that he was not going to meet with us at all! And that he would only meet with the parents of football players and only then individually. This is so he can intimidate the parents in our opinion. We are outraged by this, and feel that world needs to know about how John O'Neal is protecting Doug Marrs.

There has been rumors that a petition is out there to remove coach Marrs. This is incorrect that was the original idea, but we felt the meeting was the better course of action to do this. We are still having a meeting on November 16th, 2010 at a site to be determined. We are tired of our children transferring to other schools, or not playing sports at all because they do not like or respect the current coaches that do not respect them or treat them well.There are members of the school board who are willing to help us in our cause, but parents of children who have been wronged in the past need to step up with us and fight. If you feel the same about how our children are being treated we encourage you to attend the meeting and stand up with the brave men and women who are tired of this treatment and are willing to do something about it. When we have a location we will post again.

Edited by Dung Marrs

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Bravo, I hope that everyone available will come out for this when and IF he will have the meeting. This is coming from a fan that has no love of Graham. Still kids need respect and to have something to be proud of. No coach out thee should be allowed to get away with the crap that he pulls.

Bluefield, Virginia needs and deserves to have Graham football to be brought back to respectably.

Respectability? Be brought back respectably?

Nevertheless...

Recently a group of concerned citizens attended the October school board meeting and discussed the concern for one man holding the titles of head coach and athletic director at Graham High School. This was due to the fact that the Graham home game against Princeton was given to Princeton and played at Princeton on October 1st. This was done so that coach Marrs could go watch his son sit on the bench at a football game in Chapel Hill, NC on October 2nd. John O'Neal has admitted that Graham recieved 60 percent of the gate in Princeton, but our band lost concessions and our sports programs lost 40 percent of OUR money because of one selfish man.

dates and such and missed meetings and run arounds

Seems like kind of a chicken shit way to run someone off as coach. Express your opinion professionally to the principal via letter and do so as well to the superintendent. The end.

Nevertheless...

Seems like kind of a chicken shit way to run someone off as coach. Express your opinion professionally to the principal via letter and do so as well to the superintendent. The end.

hard to do when the principal and coach are best friends and nothing wrong with how this group has gone about this but the principal to ignore a group is what you said c s. any letter would be met with the same attitude leave me alone i will do what i want when i want.

Nevertheless...

Wrong........your "letter" will be tossed in the trash...but you were right about one thing...the "end"...because you wouldn't get very far...I wish you all good luck.

Edited by futbolking

OK guys the meeting is now finalized. It will be at the VFW post 9696 in West Graham, Bluefield Virginia on November 16th from 6:30PM to 8:30PM. We invite everyone who wants a new football coach and athletic director to join us. What is going on at Graham High is wrong and its time for a change.

I thing to add...

If I'm not mistaken Marrs made a comment to WVVA about getting in at 1-9.. we played a tough schedule (or something like that) and "that's why they call 'em power points".

For the record, TAZEWELL played a tougher schedule this year than Graham.

Where do I get this from? tThe "power points".

Both teams won 1 game. Tazewell's "victim" (Marion) had 3 wins (inc. 1 over Graham), Graham's only had 1.

The 9 teams they lost to... Tazewell's won 58 games, Graham's won 56.

That means Tazewell's opponents won 4 more games than Graham's.

OK guys the meeting is now finalized. It will be at the VFW post 9696 in West Graham, Bluefield Virginia on November 16th from 6:30PM to 8:30PM. We invite everyone who wants a new football coach and athletic director to join us. What is going on at Graham High is wrong and its time for a change.

This needs to be made public in every way, shape, and form there is. I know I will do my part to get the word out. Our kids deserve better!!!

This needs to be made public in every way, shape, and form there is. I know I will do my part to get the word out. Our kids deserve better!!!

If they are going to West Graham to have a meeting you would think they would have it at Cotton's.....what were they thinking????

If they are going to West Graham to have a meeting you would think they would have it at Cotton's.....what were they thinking????

That's where they'll have the "after-party"...

The friendship mentioned is one reason the school system can be a closed society. When my girls were in school, I went after a person in the system who was in a position to spend a lot of taxpayer money. I suspected decisions were not being made based on what was best for the students and wanted to take a look at invoices. As he was a relative of one of the "higher-ups" in the system, I found the going tough. At times, I got the feeling I was being told to give us your money and be quiet. I refused to be quiet and things changed. The kids at Graham deserve the best possible conditions on the field and in the classroom. It is my hope they get it, whatever that means. Now, GO BIG BLUE !!!!!!!

I went to the majority of the games this season. It was awful to watch. I have a nephew who plays. He is not the best player out there but when he goes to speak with Coach Marrs all he got was well you just don't block good enough. He is a receiver that got to play quite a bit. I saw some kids get yelled at and some who made the EXACT mistake rewarded with more playing time. I guess its a family thing. Make kids earn it by performance not who they are, or who there family is. I hear from alot of kids that "it doesn't matter if I have a good week of practice he is playing his "BOYS anyway". Thats why we have kids walking the halls that could make Graham a much better team but refuse to play because of this. I saw the WORST defensive scheme in AMERICA every friday night and I saw a staff that had no idea how to put players in position to make plays. They tried to hide the #1 kid EVERYWHERE. 43 couldn't cover a reciver with a BLANKET, and 5 had more holes in his game than the titantic, but they went right back out there! The #16 played hard. I think all the kids played hard. We tried nurmous offensive sets ( none worked). Kids stayed confused. You let a assistant bad mouth players. We run players off...remember #22 princeton who laid the lick on our QB he was at Graham last year. Big 77 from Tazewell- Had a chance to get him he was a pocahontas kid. Said no we got OUR guys! Bet these 2 we had would made a difference! Sounds like to me you have a leadership problem in your program and that starts at the top! Where do I vote? I am in! Time for Change!

Edited by ole ball coach