State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think GC was as tough as Poquoson and would have given them all they wanted, unless the officials got involved. I am a true Blues fan, but you have to hand it to GC, they don't back down from anyone, just ask Bluefield.

I think GC was as tough as Poquoson and would have given them all they wanted, unless the officials got involved. I am a true Blues fan, but you have to hand it to GC, they don't back down from anyone, just ask Bluefield.

that richlands game would have been alot closer if we would have had dusty

I'll give you that for sure, would loved to have seen it. Its always my favorite game of the regular season because you know it is going to be a tough game. I still think the Blues would have won, but the score would have possibly been closer.

Once again, congrads to GC for the State Title, you guys certainly deserve it.

I'll give you that for sure, would loved to have seen it. Its always my favorite game of the regular season because you know it is going to be a tough game. I still think the Blues would have won, but the score would have possibly been closer.

it would have went down to the wire, but yeah you all still woulda won. Thanks its appreciated, i wish you all coulda got one too

I still don't understand how in the world Graham was up with 2:30 to go on GC in the Va High scrimmage...GC must have really come together from that point on to win state...I thought Clintwood looked much better from the start than GC did. Clark is a gamer...no doubt they are a different team without that kid.

You never know what you will see. I too was at that scrimmage, and to be honest if GC had played the same type of offense they had at the end of the year, Graham had no chance. Joe Vaughn wasn't 100% yet and GC was trying every offensive set we had. The Devils are notorious for looking bad in scrimmages.

You never know what you will see. I too was at that scrimmage, and to be honest if GC had played the same type of offense they had at the end of the year, Graham had no chance. Joe Vaughn wasn't 100% yet and GC was trying every offensive set we had. The Devils are notorious for looking bad in scrimmages.

i know they have a few kids hurt...i was still a bit shocked that Graham played them as well as they did...might have been Grahams best effort of the year even though it was just a scrimmage.

I still don't understand how in the world Graham was up with 2:30 to go on GC in the Va High scrimmage...GC must have really come together from that point on to win state...I thought Clintwood looked much better from the start than GC did. Clark is a gamer...no doubt they are a different team without that kid.

Please dont say you base how a team does in a scrimmage on how their regular season will be. Scrimmages are for running different sets and playing numerous players to see where you need them. Remember last year VaHigh beat Chilhowie handily in that scrimmage but when they met in the regular season Chilhowie came out on top. TnHigh lost to South last year in their scrimmage but THS laid the wood to South in the regular season. A scrimmage will give you an idea of how their season will go but it is not a definate. You dont have to win the scrimmages but you do want to win the regular season games.

The game may have been closer then again it may not have been. Besides Poquoson I think Gate City was the best team RHS faced all season. Richlands just slipped up in the very game they needed to win most. Just wish the Gate City vs. Richlands game was later in the season. I think the fans and the players are being cheated playing this game the first one of every season. I love the fact GC faces Bluefield in the middle of the season and much like Bluefield losing to Gate City last year Gate City losing to BHS this year helped more than it hurt. Gate City players saw in that game that if they did not give their all to great teams they would not only lose but lose badly. Same thing happened to Bluefield last year. I am not saying if GC had give it their all at BHS they would have won. I do think GC would have brought the game down to the wire though. Gretna and Bluefield are kinda similar but Bluefield was the better team of the two. If Bluefield is looking for another game try scheduling Gretna. Gretna like BHS and Gate City have a huge problem in scheduling. No one wants to play them either. They play Dan River twice every year and play a private school that does not help them gain any points win or lose. Just dont drop Gate City. I love that game too much to lose it.

Yes you do, and Im glad you guys won. But i guess it is a little easier to Win one in 'A' uh?

No. Not easier. It is far from it. If dropping a division makes it easier to win state then Richlands should be having it easier since they dropped from D4 to D3? Gretna If anyone remembers won the D3 Title in 2003 and 2004 then they dropped to D2 winning the D2 Title 2 years later in 07 then again in 08. Only thing that helped GC when they dropped was instead of playing teams in the State Semis and Finals against teams with much larger enrollments they now play teams with equal enrollments. I can almost garuantee you if Richlands had been in Division 2 since 2001 they would have pretty well the same success in State Titles. They might have one more than they have now at the most. This is not a knock on Richlands. Just saying the road to D2 State is just as hard as the D3 road.

Please dont say you base how a team does in a scrimmage on how their regular season will be. Scrimmages are for running different sets and playing numerous players to see where you need them. Remember last year VaHigh beat Chilhowie handily in that scrimmage but when they met in the regular season Chilhowie came out on top. TnHigh lost to South last year in their scrimmage but THS laid the wood to South in the regular season. A scrimmage will give you an idea of how their season will go but it is not a definate. You dont have to win the scrimmages but you do want to win the regular season games.

I didn't say that at all, don't try to tell me what I'm saying, just read what I said....but you get a good idea of what a team has in a scrimmage...you can see the size of the line, what they can do, get some idea of talent level overall, and a lot of other things along those lines. When you have a team like GC had and a team like Graham had, you would think even if it was in the parking lot playing two hand touch that GC would roll....Graham was up with 2 min left so to me that was a bit of a shocking thing to see vs. what I was expecting.

I didn't say that at all, don't try to tell me what I'm saying, just read what I said....but you get a good idea of what a team has in a scrimmage...you can see the size of the line, what they can do, get some idea of talent level overall, and a lot of other things along those lines. When you have a team like GC had and a team like Graham had, you would think even if it was in the parking lot playing two hand touch that GC would roll....Graham was up with 2 min left so to me that was a bit of a shocking thing to see vs. what I was expecting.

Not trying to tell you what you are saying. I apologize if that is how you took it. I can tell you this. Never take what Gate City does in a scrimmage for what they will do in a real game. Like another poster said they are very notorious for looking bad in scrimmages. In 2002 I think it was GC scrimmaged VaHigh and in 2 quarters barely won 6 to o or 7 to 6. Cant remember exactly. Powell Valley beat VHS 21 to 0 I think it was in their scrimmage. Come regular season Gate City beat Powell Valley 49 to 0. Gate City just does not like to show what they have in those scrimmages.

The game may have been closer then again it may not have been. Besides Poquoson I think Gate City was the best team RHS faced all season. Richlands just slipped up in the very game they needed to win most. Just wish the Gate City vs. Richlands game was later in the season. I think the fans and the players are being cheated playing this game the first one of every season. I love the fact GC faces Bluefield in the middle of the season and much like Bluefield losing to Gate City last year Gate City losing to BHS this year helped more than it hurt. Gate City players saw in that game that if they did not give their all to great teams they would not only lose but lose badly. Same thing happened to Bluefield last year. I am not saying if GC had give it their all at BHS they would have won. I do think GC would have brought the game down to the wire though. Gretna and Bluefield are kinda similar but Bluefield was the better team of the two. If Bluefield is looking for another game try scheduling Gretna. Gretna like BHS and Gate City have a huge problem in scheduling. No one wants to play them either. They play Dan River twice every year and play a private school that does not help them gain any points win or lose. Just dont drop Gate City. I love that game too much to lose it.

Gretna and Bluefield would be a good game. I still, even as a GC fan. think that if we played Gretna like we did any other team this year, with our normal offense. not really time consuming, that we would have got our asses kicked. All of our drives besides the one before halftime and the kneel down drive lasted over 5 minutes. I think we had the ball for 35 minutes in that game.

Holy shit you have got to be kidding me swvaoutdoors! "Gate city the second best team the blues have faced this year" lol .your starting to sound like those falcon lovers .No way you could have beat cave spring or brookville.

Poquoson would beat GC. They are a tough team but not enough to hang with poquoson

Edited by SWVAfootball

Poquoson would beat GC. They are a tough team but not enough to hang with poquoson

I would say they would too. They beat Richlands who beat Gate City handily so there is no argument there.

Holy shit you have got to be kidding me swvaoutdoors! "Gate city the second best team the blues have faced this year" lol .your starting to sound like those falcon lovers .No way you could have beat cave spring or brookville.

How do you know? I think they could have if they played either one of them the way they played Gretna. Thats my opinion though.

I would say they would too. They beat Richlands who beat Gate City handily so there is no argument there.

Cave Spring would have been a tough game for GC and I spoke a little to quick about GC being the 2nd best Richlands faced. I kinda feel GC and CS would be and even matchup.