State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

Guest The Variable
Poquosan outplayed the Blues. The officiating was bad both ways. POQUOSAN HAD TWO TD'S CALLED BACK. Poquosan's running game is what hurt the blues. They got 4 yards a pop and kept the chains moving. Richlands had a chance to get the ball back with 2 or 3 minutes left and they couldnt. I was pulling for richlands but poquosan was the better team Saturday. They were physical, fundamentally sound and disciplined. I think poquosans offensive line won the battle and won the game for the bull Islanders.

I noticed a BIG difference when Richlands #44 (was his name Devin Thomas or something) got hurt. He was huge in the first half and all the way up to when he got hurt. When he came back, he didnt play the same. My wife used to be an Athletic Trainer and said by the way he was walking that he may have had a concussion. But why would he get put back into the game?

What happened to him anyway?

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"There is a season for everything"....and it's the season to let this thread "fade into oblivion"....

To the young man at Poquoson and your serious injury, we pray for a full recovery for you.

To the Poquoson team, one of the best defenses I've seen for a high school team.

Congrats to your program and hopefully, the demise of this thread will be an early Christmas gift to you and also, to the Richlands' fans.

To the Richlands football team and coaches....we are SO proud of you

The coaches and players, IMO, would probably like to move on and we, the fans, need to do the same.

(Using the analogy of a wound....if you keep picking at it....objective reasoning is... it will take longer too heal. Yes, the scar will be there.... but in time..... it will not hurt as much, it will eventually heal and it will slowly fade.)

Again, to our Blues....YOU made this football fan, listening on the net and traveling to see 3 games VERY proud of you and the season you "gifted" us with.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL....remember, the reason for this season is HOPE in the ONE that gave it ALL.. (the "good book" tells us awards and setbacks are part of the" travels" in our earthly lives).....PEACE on Earth and GOODWILL to all.....

Edited by trublue

If you’re going to try and use the big words like the adults, please at least google them so you won’t look like a third grader. It’s hard to take people seriously who can’t even spell...not that I would ever take you seriously.

Let me ask you a question? Are you going to be one of these guys that's standing around thirty years from now complaining about the "screw job at state back in 2010"? You seem to be hyper sensitive to anyone's comments about moving on. My suggestion would be to stop living vicariously through teenage boys. The better team won on Saturday. Build a bridge and get over it.

I'm seriously not trying to stir the pot here, but I've seen several references to official representatives of the VHSL who were present at the game in Lynchburg. And I'm really perplexed as to who they might have been.

For the poster(s) who have reported the comments from these individuals, could you please provide some further context regarding their identity and their official status?

The VHSL always has representatives at the State Championship games at all levels. It’s their job. As far as providing you further context regarding their identity, these people are friends of mine and will remain nameless on this forum unless they decide to comment here on their own. These are not people who frequent this website, and might not appreciate me mentioning their names. That’s not a cop out, just being respectful to these people who made me privy to this information.

Let me ask you a question? Are you going to be one of these guys that's standing around thirty years from now complaining about the "screw job at state back in 2010"? You seem to be hyper sensitive to anyone's comments about moving on. My suggestion would be to stop living vicariously through teenage boys. The better team won on Saturday. Build a bridge and get over it.

I don’t take advice from people that can’t spell. I guess since you’re on this website that also makes you guilty of living vicariously through teenage boys. That’s the main topic here if you hadn’t noticed, high school football. What an ignorant comment. If it wasn’t for high school sports this website wouldn’t exist. I’ll “move on” when I’m damn good and ready. Don’t like it? You “move on”.

Guest The Variable
I don’t take advice from people that can’t spell. I guess since you’re on this website that also makes you guilty of living vicariously through teenage boys. That’s the main topic here if you hadn’t noticed, high school football. What an ignorant comment. If it wasn’t for high school sports this website wouldn’t exist. I’ll “move on” when I’m damn good and ready. Don’t like it? You “move on”.

Well there is also high school basketball (boys and girls), Baseball, Track, Wrestling, ect. Perhaps you are burned out on football.

Nice job ignoring my reply to you though.

All you Idiots that think we are all crying, go to wvva.com and watch the highlights. The pass interference play is on there, the Official running with the play signaled INCOMPLETE PASS, the official in the end zone threw the flag late, Our guy did nothing wrong on the play. I guess the official that threw the flag, his thinking was oh SHIT its 4th down they will have to punt with this game tied?? The holding flags at the end when we were 20 yards from taking the lead? 4th and 36 from back at Midfield, we were not gonna score, they were gonna make sure of that. You know Poquoson had a great team, and could have won without all the help. I feel sorry for the seniors who worked their butts off for this. Congrats to Poquoson on the win, and the Kid that was injured, im praying for his full recovery. Richlands will be back come August better than ever!!!!

I was sitting one bench back and about 5 feet from you. My wife remembers you from High School.

The onside kick isnt really a fair complaint because its all based on ball spot and it was damn close. What it does show is that there is no conspiracy against Richlands because at the time the game had reached 23-17 and a PHS drive might very well have run the clock out. The refs would have spot the ball shy of the 10 yards.

Did you not see the refs stand there and talk about giving the ball to POQ after the onside kick. They wanted to give the ball to POQ but they would have had a tough time answering questions about that call. The refs controled field position all day and did cheat the Blues. Think about a couple of PI calls that ended in POQ scores. If you look at them on film there is no question what was going on. If you want to see the film call POQ!! I'm sure they will not share that one with you. Guess why!!

Guest The Variable
Did you not see the refs stand there and talk about giving the ball to POQ after the onside kick. They wanted to give the ball to POQ but they would have had a tough time answering questions about that call.

So let me get this warped logic of yours straight: You are saying that they didnt give perhaps a game ending call to the team you and others claim the refs were fixing the game for based on the belief that they would have had a tough time answering questions on the call. But all of those OTHER calls that they made that you guys are also claiming were blatantly obvious...those calls were made without concern about explaining.

Yeah...that REALLY works out. :rolleyes:

The refs controled field position all day and did cheat the Blues. Think about a couple of PI calls that ended in POQ scores. If you look at them on film there is no question what was going on. If you want to see the film call POQ!! I'm sure they will not share that one with you. Guess why!!

On the long Poq TD pass BOTH of the players were shoving each other so that PI is null. There was another TD pass by Poq that was called back on PI that nobody seems to have seen. I will give you that there probably was offensive PI on that one play but I didnt see the whole play because of a crowd down on the sideline blocking my view. But on a Poq drive in richlands territory there was a facemask on the QB on 3rd down that wasnt called...but in the end, both side has calls against them and calls missed, imagine that.

DRAW.

I saw it all, without the tears blocking my view.

The VHSL always has representatives at the State Championship games at all levels. It’s their job. As far as providing you further context regarding their identity, these people are friends of mine and will remain nameless on this forum unless they decide to comment here on their own. These are not people who frequent this website, and might not appreciate me mentioning their names. That’s not a cop out, just being respectful to these people who made me privy to this information.

So, you are saying that the VHSL reps are your friends from Richlands???? No wonder they told you to file a grievance and apologized after the game....Being from around this area and coming on this site frequently isn't bias or anything.

So, you are saying that the VHSL reps are your friends from Richlands???? No wonder they told you to file a grievance and apologized after the game....Being from around this area and coming on this site frequently isn't bias or anything.

No dumbass...that’s not what I said. Learn to read.

Understandable, and I appreciate the response.

If you want to hear a Poquoson fan complain about the way the VHSL handles the state championship game, step right up. I have a beef with the fact that no doctors of any kind were on the field. Our player suffered a very serious internal injury but it was not detected until very much after the fact. Thank God he is recovering but I wonder what difference it would have made if a real doctor had been there instead of just a trainer from the University. Maybe an earlier diagnosis, faster treatment, less pain, speedier recovery? I guess we will never know. The good thing is no one lost their child. How about that for perspective? Love you true Richland fans!

I am sorry to hear about the injury! I think you are right there should be a doctor on hand at these games. I am happy to hear he is recovering! My thoughts and prayers will be with him! At the end of the day there are a lot of things more important than football. Our health is one of them...

"There is a season for everything"....and it's the season to let this thread "fade into oblivion"....

To the young man at Poquoson and your serious injury, we pray for a full recovery for you.

To the Poquoson team, one of the best defenses I've seen for a high school team.

Congrats to your program and hopefully, the demise of this thread will be an early Christmas gift to you and also, to the Richlands' fans.

The coaches and players, IMO, would probably like to move on and we, the fans, need to do the same.

(Using the analogy of a wound....if you keep picking at it....objective reasoning is... it will take longer too heal. Yes, the scar will be there.... but in time..... it will not hurt as much, it will eventually heal and it will slowly fade.)

Again, to our Blues....YOU made this football fan, listening on the net and traveling to see 3 games VERY proud of you and the season you "gifted" us with.

MERRY CHRISTMAS to ALL....remember, the reason for this season is HOPE in the ONE that gave it ALL.. (the "good book" tells us awards and setbacks are part of the" travels" in our earthly lives).....PEACE on Earth and GOODWILL to all.....

Excellent post. I concur with trublue. And in that spirit, respectfully retire from this thread myself.

Guest The Variable

So what you are really saying is that nobody on this board actually WITNESSED VHSL Officials who appologized for the game officiating.

Okay, since you want to make fun of other people when they question you like a 5 year old does, let me rephrase my question. Imagine that, YOUR FRIENDS apologizing and telling you to file a grievance, that isn't bias to you????????? Of course, your friends are going to tell you they are sorry. Your statements about the VHSL reps and mainly everything else have just lost all credibility.

Okay, since you want to make fun of other people when they question you like a 5 year old does, let me rephrase my question. Imagine that, YOUR FRIENDS apologizing and telling you to file a grievance, that isn't bias to you????????? Of course, your friends are going to tell you they are sorry. Your statements about the VHSL reps and mainly everything else have just lost all credibility.

Good grief. Let me spell it out for you as clearly and slowly as I can. These VHSL officials who were at the game in a official capacity were NOT friends of mine or anybody that they commented to. They made comments to people who were at the game, and the comments were made after the game. If you will go back and read my first post about this even someone like you can understand it if you read it real slowly, and maybe have someone interpret it for you. Some of the people they commented to were Richlands alums and friends, who do happen to be friends of mine, but the comments came from the officials, nit from my friends. I hope that’s simple enough for you to understand.

Edited by blueinbama

Guest The Variable
These VHSL officials who were at the game in a official capacity were NOT friends of mine or anybody that they commented to. They made comments to people who were at the game, and the comments were made after the game.

Allegedly.

Guest The Variable
It’s a fact. I don’t care whether you believe me or not, but there are people on this board who know it’s the truth. You obviously don’t want to believe it because it discounts everything you have said.

Actually, it doesnt discount anything I said, it just gives you a leg to stand on. Like I said, if what your FRIENDS say is true, then the VHSL will release a statement that will to some extent confirm your claims.

Its not a fact, right now its heresay.

Good post ! +1

Please guys, Nobody loves the Blues more than I do. But this game is over ! They ( Poquoson ) are the champions. All this talk about the refs is doing nothing but making us look bad. I understand the hurt, but it's not going to change a thing except make Richlands look bad.

Lets congratulate the young men from Poquoson and be there for our guys and move on. We need to learn to win and lose with a little more humility.....

Actually, it doesnt discount anything I said, it just gives you a leg to stand on. Like I said, if what your FRIENDS say is true, then the VHSL will release a statement that will to some extent confirm your claims.

Its not a fact, right now its heresay.

No, it’s a fact because it happened, and there are credible people who witnessed it.

Those of us who saw the game know what happened, and that’s a fact as well. Looking through your eyes with blinders on doesn’t change the fact that the outcome of the game was decided by bogus calls from the officials. That’s a FACT.

So, let me spell this out for you slowly, in....this....post....you....said....friends...of....mine...regarding....the....VHSL....reps....now....you....say....they....aren't....your....friends.....make....up...your...mind...

Or is it, you just didn't specify that your friends are the ones that the VHSL reps talked to??? Because the context clues for that post say that your friends are the VHSL reps.