State Championship: Richlands vs Poquoson

Nadoball

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's gotta hurt to lose, but you can't start trying to find people to blame. It's at a state level, the refs couldn't have been THAT bad

I watched the game online, and believe me, they WERE that bad. Both teams were holding all day long, and it seemed to me the flags came out just at the right time to kill the Blues momentum. A facemask right in front of the official was ignored. The interference call in Richlands was completely bogus. Our guy was behind the receiver and ran a better route than the receiver did, and the receiver fell out of bounds behind the play...the official threw the flag, and the only thing he could have been called would have been offensive pass interference. WRONG! Interference against the Blues. Our guy didn't even touch the receiver. The intentional grounding flag against Poquoson was picked up, and gave them an extra down to convert...the guy was almost on his back when he threw the ball, and it came nowhere close to a Poquoson player. Key series in the ballgame. BOGUS. The guys broadcasting the game on Gamedaymagazine.com were also commenting on several of the calls being "questionable", and they didn't have a dog in this fight.

When I joined this website in 2007 and was adamant about laying off the refs and I actually went as far as to get into arguments with posters who were complaining about the bad calls costing them games. I couldn't believe people would think the incompetence of officials could actually swing a game to another team's favor. Well I'm here to tell you, I just witnessed it first hand Saturday. I was watching the game online with a fellow co-worker, and after witnessing the horrible officiating for the whole game, and with Richlands recovering the onside kick, I told my co-worker "These officials won't let Richlands score, you mark my word". What happened? Richlands is driving for the final score that could have put them ahead with the EP 24-23. Two back to back holding calls killed the drive. It was so blatently obvious even the unbiased online announcers couldn't believe it. My co-worker, who also doesn't have a dog in this fight, agreed the flags were behind the play and had nothing to do with the play whatsoever. That's how bad it was.

Edited by blueinbama

I watched the game online, and believe me, they WERE that bad. Both teams were holding all day long, and it seemed to me the flags came out just at the right time to kill the Blues momentum. A facemask right in front of the official was ignored. The interference call in Richlands was completely bogus. Our guy was behind the receiver and ran a better route to the ball than the receiver did, and the receiver fell out of bounds behind the play...the official threw the flag, and the only thing he could have been called would have been offensive pass interference. WRONG! Interference against the Blues. Our guy didn't even touch the receiver. The intentional grounding flag against Poquoson was picked up, and gave them an extra down to convert...the guy was almost on his back when he threw the ball, and it came nowhere close to a Poquoson player. Key series in the ballgame. BOGUS. The guys broadcasting the game on Gamedaymagazine.com were also commenting on several of the calls being "questionable", and they didn't have a dog in this fight.

When I joined this website in 2007 and was adamant about laying off the refs and I actually went as far as to get into arguments with posters who were complaining about the bad calls costing them games. I couldn't believe people would think the incompetence of officials could actually swing a game to another team's favor. Well I'm here to tell you, I just witnessed it first hand Saturday. I was watching the game online with a fellow co-worker, and after witnessing the horrible officiating for the whole game, and with Richlands recovering the onside kick, I told my co-worker "These officials won't let Richlands score, you mark my word". What happened? Richlands is driving for the final score that could have put them ahead with the EP 24-23. Two back to back holding calls killed the drive. It was so blatently obvious even the unbiased online announcers couldn't believe it. My co-worker, who also doesn't have a dog in this fight, agreed the flags were behind the play and had nothing to do with the play whatsoever. That's how bad it was.

See I have no idea, I wasn't there. I was assuming that it couldn't have been that bad, but hell maybe it was. You know what happens when you assume... make an ass outta u and me... hahaha.

2nd place is the first loser! Why go that far if you rather lose the SC! That's like saying well we went 13-0, so we are not coming to Lynchburg just go on a give the trophy to who ever! Come on man!

Bulldogs52 the 13 wins and having a chance at a state title is still a lot more enjoyable than going 1-9, I can remeber years at Richlands like the dogs are having now and I would rather have the 13 win seasons anytime over the others.

See I have no idea, I wasn't there. I was assuming that it couldn't have been that bad, but hell maybe it was. You know what happens when you assume... make an ass outta u and me... hahaha.

You wouldn't have believed it unless you had seen it with your own eyes. I hate using the officials as an excuse for losing, but in this case it was completely justified. And who knows, even if Richlands had scored Poquoson still had over a minute left on the clock, and without those penalties maybe even over two minutes left. They could have even scored again. But I would have at least liked to see the game decided by the players without the horrible officiating.

You wouldn't have believed it unless you had seen it with your own eyes. I hate using the officials as an excuse for losing, but in this case it was completely justified. And who knows, even if Richlands had scored Poquoson still had over a minute left on the clock, and without those penalties maybe even over two minutes left. They could have even scored again. But I would have at least liked to see the game decided by the players without the horrible officiating.

They should get college officiating, The refs at our game were Region C and D refs. if it would have been region A and B refs then we would have got screwed, Its been proven that the refs on the other side of the state give out bs calls against teams from this side of the state.

They should get college officiating, The refs at our game were Region C and D refs. if it would have been region A and B refs then we would have got screwed, Its been proven that the refs on the other side of the state give out bs calls against teams from this side of the state.

Thank you.

it's pathetic and it gives richlands a bad name, anyone that sees it is gonna think you all are a bunch of cry baby wussies. And you really don't want that. Haha

I think maybe they should do it as Richlands is full of cry baby wussies. The world could see us as we are. Heck, we had guys complain about calls in the brookville game. The guys which complain when nothing to complain about only makes complaining when maybe something there look like same old sh$t. Just get over getting beat by a better team guys and get ready to cry next year. I am a huge Richlands fan and I am very ashamed of our fans most of the time. I have said on here before that we have some of the least sportsmanship people there is, anywhere. Yelling UCONN at a high school player when we are beating his team like we did was pure horse$hit. Maybe our team just needs to play with a little more discipline next year and when we get to situations and teams which can use our lack of discipline against us we may not come up short. I know one thing, if our players get thier discipline from the fans then they will never have any, period. I am very proud of this years team and we had a fantastic year. Every AA Division 3 team except for Poquoson would have loved to been in our shoes. I am done reading this crap until next year.

Edited by Gizmo777

that can go both ways refs from our area can make calls against a team from the other side of the state.congrats to richlands on making it to the title game. just like ghs did in 01 and lost to harrisonburg.just like in any game albeit the state title game or a regular season game refs make many bad calls. they are human and college refs do you think they do not make bad calls. or that they would not make bad calls in a title game. they would.i dont think calls are on purpose against anyone team. but then again when the calls are against our team we will all find a reason to feel they are against us on this side of the state. i did not listen to or see the game but no matter what richlands did get beat by a great team and the better team on this day. if they played again this week the blues might win. all you can do is move on to next year and improve on penalties. good luck next season.

that can go both ways refs from our area can make calls against a team from the other side of the state.congrats to richlands on making it to the title game. just like ghs did in 01 and lost to harrisonburg.just like in any game albeit the state title game or a regular season game refs make many bad calls. they are human and college refs do you think they do not make bad calls. or that they would not make bad calls in a title game. they would.i dont think calls are on purpose against anyone team. but then again when the calls are against our team we will all find a reason to feel they are against us on this side of the state. i did not listen to or see the game but no matter what richlands did get beat by a great team and the better team on this day. if they played again this week the blues might win. all you can do is move on to next year and improve on penalties. good luck next season.

the college ref's wouldn't be biased to one team.

I think its funny that people are saying that it would have been good for southwest va if Richlands would have won. Thats an understatement, we could have gave Grahm a piece of the Trophy. We also could have gave Bigcreek aka Riverview a piece and don't forget mean ol Tazewell that ran a certain QB.lol Ha Ha! Im sure there is more schools that would deserve a piece.

Congrats to Richlands on another great season and 14 games. Congrats to Poq on their 1st State Championship. All Im going to say about the REFS is that has got to be the worst called championship game I have ever seen (they take the momentum out of every drive). To the kid in the 44 jersey on the Poq side-congrats on being the most disrespectful person I have seen at a game and your propably lucky you didn't get your nose broke when you came through the Richlands fans.
I would like to congratulate your #44 for putting up a state-team performance in the game on Saturday and that was just in the first half. He was a beast to be sure. Now as for our #44, I can assure you that whatever Thomas did it was certainly not intentional or meanspirited. That boy doesn't have that in him. So I am glad you fans did not resort to that behavior. But then again after your team left the field and did not stay to attend the awarding of the trophy to Poquoson there was no one left to see this supposed incident. OMG I just let myself slip down to your level.

No your not! I am having fun reading all of this you guys are saying, because when us ( the other teams Richlands plays) say things like is being said in this thread, we always get just suck it up you got beat by the better team!

If the score would have been 51-7, then yea it would not matter....... When the officials control your offense and/or defense then yes it matters in a tight game. Why would we B!@#$ about the REFS this time and not the other times we lost in State b/c the players decided it, thats why...........

I think its funny that people are saying that it would have been good for southwest va if Richlands would have won. Thats an understatement, we could have gave Grahm a piece of the Trophy. We also could have gave Bigcreek aka Riverview a piece and don't forget mean ol Tazewell that ran a certain QB.lol Ha Ha! Im sure there is more schools that would deserve a piece.

Ahhhh Snap!! Oh no you didn't! LOLOLOLOL

Where do people come up with this stuff?

:rolleyes:

I would like to congratulate your #44 for putting up a state-team performance in the game on Saturday and that was just in the first half. He was a beast to be sure. Now as for our #44, I can assure you that whatever Thomas did it was certainly not intentional or meanspirited. That boy doesn't have that in him. So I am glad you fans did not resort to that behavior. But then again after your team left the field and did not stay to attend the awarding of the trophy to Poquoson there was no one left to see this supposed incident. OMG I just let myself slip down to your level.

What supposed incident? He was talking about when the guy wearing a #44 jersey, with the mohawk ran through the Richlands stands before the game ever started.

I am sorry to say your wrong. I had three refs tell me they made bad calls on purpose because they did not like a team. So to think refs would not try to control a game to help decide a outcome is crazy. It may be hard to believe but it is true. So next time your team is playing a big game and everytime you start to show a little life and it looks like to refs are making bad calls on purpose. They may be. I'm not saying one or two questionable calls I'm saying when there is about eight to ten. And when some of those are in the open where everyone can see what happened you know you have been screwed. I wished I could post a tape showing those calls so everyone could see what I'm talking about. Of course maybe I'm wrong and you guy's would see the tape and correct me. I don't think so but anything is possible.

And I am not taking anything from POQ team. They came to play and did a great job. Their D-fense tackles better than any high school team I've seen in a long time. I do not know what the outcome would have been without all the bad calls but I would have loved a chance to see that game. It is a shame that it happened and it takes away from what should have been a special day for both teams. As far as the protest etc. There should be an investigation into that crew. I would hope that crew would not be allowed to ref again. This should not happen to any school!!!

he was talking about me, not Thomas. haha

Bulldogs52 the 13 wins and having a chance at a state title is still a lot more enjoyable than going 1-9, I can remeber years at Richlands like the dogs are having now and I would rather have the 13 win seasons anytime over the others.

I remember worse years than the dogs had this year! Then if it's more enjoyable then quit the crying about the damn refs!

I remember worse years than the dogs had this year! Then if it's more enjoyable then quit the crying about the damn refs!

I have not been crying about the Refs I said a few things that I saw but I also said that the Blues beat themsleves and that is what i think about the game.

the college ref's wouldn't be biased to one team.

you cannot say that what if it were refs from the swva area or from eastern va. they could show bias towards a team from their area. they are human and some do watch highschool football and have kids in highschool so yes they could be bias.

I am sorry to say your wrong. I had three refs tell me they made bad calls on purpose because they did not like a team. So to think refs would not try to control a game to help decide a outcome is crazy. It may be hard to believe but it is true. So next time your team is playing a big game and everytime you start to show a little life and it looks like to refs are making bad calls on purpose. They may be. I'm not saying one or two questionable calls I'm saying when there is about eight to ten. And when some of those are in the open where everyone can see what happened you know you have been screwed. I wished I could post a tape showing those calls so everyone could see what I'm talking about. Of course maybe I'm wrong and you guy's would see the tape and correct me. I don't think so but anything is possible.

And I am not taking anything from POQ team. They came to play and did a great job. Their D-fense tackles better than any high school team I've seen in a long time. I do not know what the outcome would have been without all the bad calls but I would have loved a chance to see that game. It is a shame that it happened and it takes away from what should have been a special day for both teams. As far as the protest etc. There should be an investigation into that crew. I would hope that crew would not be allowed to ref again. This should not happen to any school!!!

did you report them to vhsl if not then you are just as bad as them and cannot complain about calls in a game. you know there are questionable calls in every game ghs has had them playing rhs does that mean the refs are pulling for your team because they are doing better no.but again you need to report this admission to the vhsl until then you cannot complain about refs. making calls for the other team.

I have not been crying about the Refs I said a few things that I saw but I also said that the Blues beat themsleves and that is what i think about the game.

no you have not been but others have been crying about all the bad calls and even saying this was intentional. that is what is bothering people here because some fans from rhs ga ve other posters here grief when we complained about officiating when playing the blues. told us to get past it you we lost to a better team. i feel that is what is bothering most here. cannot have your cake and eat it too. things happen and we move on get past it grow up and realize that life is not fair. but this is the system we have and play with it. until people want to hire and pay refs. a lot of money this will happen. and many will not want to pay higher admission fees for highschool games to do this.but to those that continue to want to complain about the calls that were bad against rhs i am sorry. join the rest of us here who feel that happened to our teams when playing rhs. this year and other years.and i for one am just as guilty of complaining about refs when ghs plays blfd. but i realize this is the game and move on.

What supposed incident? He was talking about when the guy wearing a #44 jersey, with the mohawk ran through the Richlands stands before the game ever started.
OMG!!! I am so sorry. I didn't know that guy had a # on that you were talking about. Please accept my humble apologies for jumping to a conclusion that was so far off. I guess I did get caught up in the negativity on this thread. Sorry Richland Fans! Especially you BigBlueAlum.