The Best Team Ever in SWVA!

wah_wah

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Richlands Blue Tornados 2010 football team I think is the best football team that SWVA has ever seen. THis team has it all.

I am a Blues grad/fan and I think this is a great team as well. But I remember a g-men team that was awesome as well. They where highly ranked in the nation. There D-fense was one of the best ever. I would have loved to see this Blues team take them on. I'm sure there are other fans of teams that may want to chime in. I will say you could make a good argument that this team is the best but there have been a lot of great teams in SWVA.

P.S. Lets not forget the Bulldog team that won the state in 86 or 87 whichever it was. They where awesome as well! I know there are a lot of schools that could be added to the list. GCBD etc............

I am a Blues grad/fan and I think this is a great team as well. But I remember a g-men team that was awesome as well. They where highly ranked in the nation. There D-fense was one of the best ever.

The '89 Graham team...

I just hope Richlands learns from Graham's 2001 team. They, too, rolled through the regular season, scoring points at will, and routed three teams on their way to the State Championship game. Somewhere between the semifinals and Lynchburg, they lost their way and stopped doing everything that got them to that point.

Richlands...keep the pedal to the metal, don't let up...score as many as you can the same way you have been all season long and the title will come home with you on Saturday!

The Richlands Blue Tornados 2010 football team I think is the best football team that SWVA has ever seen. THis team has it all.

Lacking one very crucial element for consideration right now....

State championship hardware

No need to consider this team in this kind of discussion at all unless they win it all.

The '89 Graham team...

I just hope Richlands learns from Graham's 2001 team. They, too, rolled through the regular season, scoring points at will, and routed three teams on their way to the State Championship game. Somewhere between the semifinals and Lynchburg, they lost their way and stopped doing everything that got them to that point.

Richlands...keep the pedal to the metal, don't let up...score as many as you can the same way you have been all season long and the title will come home with you on Saturday!

The 2001 GMEN team was a very good and talented team with the likes of bradshaw,oaks,matthews and paco among others. I seem to remember them haveing to go to OT with Grundy that year, i wouldnt say they rolled everyone!! I will say they got us pretty good in the region championship though. With that being said the blues havent had that test so as bad as it hurts me gotta go with the blues on this one!!

Gate City has fielded some pretty good teams as well. I believe the 1970 state champion team had seven shut outs during the year. The 1974 team destroyed people.

Powell Valley has also produced some good teams.

It is just so hard to even guess as to what has been the best team in SW VA.

Lacking one very crucial element for consideration right now....

State championship hardware

No need to consider this team in this kind of discussion at all unless they win it all.

I agree. I think we will win this week but lets not get the cart before the horse. If we win the State championship this week then start blowing all the hot air. I think it best to just enjoy the season ethier way and not compare apples and oranges personally. This is a great team period but how can anyone tell which is the best if they can't play each other. Gate City had a couple of great teams with the Rogers boys, The G-men team already mentioned, Powell Valley teams with Jones brothers and a couple of others might chime in. 06 and 92 Blues may even like to play that game before any crowns are given out.

I've considered the 2006 Richlands team the best i've seen. Along with the 1997-98 Powell Valley teams.

This Richlands team is right there with them.

Up until the the mid 90's i never saw any games that didn't include PH.

Wish i could have seen the 89 Graham team play.

Richlands has a great team this year but would be hard to say they are the best SWVA ever saw. Gate City, and Powell Valley are two that have teams the caliber as this years Richlands team. There is no way to say who was the best. All I can say is SWVA has been blessed with some great teams over the years.

I agree SWVAoutdoors, The Southwest Virginia area has had some great teams and players and we are truely blessed. We are blessed to live here in this little paradise hidden in these mountains. Lets Go Blues and Blue Devils this Saturday. Put you're teams in the discussion as best ever.

My Dad always told me that the Gate City teams in the early 1970's were almost unstoppable. As far as what i have saw, Richlands in 92 and 06 were darn special. Our team in 2005 with that Defense, if we would have beaten Turner Ashby, would rank up there as well. Also the PV teams in the mid to late 90s with Thomas and Julius Jones were great. I was standing down close to the field in the 90s when we played PV, and Thomas Jones broke free and Jeremy McCommons ran with him pretty good for a short distance till Jones Kicked the turbo in, Thomas Jones was the best player ive ever seen in person!

'98 Powell Valley period! They easily beat Appalachia('98 Division 1 champion) and Gate City('98 Division 3 champion) also beat Richlands(dont know what kind of team Richlands had that year). Undefeated season, led by Julius Jones and his 2,000+ yards rushing. I think this is the season where the PV defense only allowed a handfull(maybe 0) of plays over 10 yards. Ive seen film on them and I havent seen a team that good from this area.

Nobody loves Blue Tornado football more than I do, but i think talk of the best ever is a little premature. Lets wait until after the results of the game Saturday before we crown them anything !

I think that if they win this championship then they should be considered, but they still have one more game to play first.

I think they will win this game IMHO, but I just don't like to talk as if we've already won something before we even play the game.

But this team has the potential to be the best ! They are definitely one of the most talented and deepest we've seen in a long, long time.........I just don't want to jinx them before Saturday....LOL ! So I'm afraid to brag to much .....yet !

Nobody loves Blue Tornado football more than I do, but i think talk of the best ever is a little premature. Lets wait until after the results of the game Saturday before we crown them anything !

I think that if they win this championship then they should be considered, but they still have one more game to play first.

I think they will win this game IMHO, but I just don't like to talk as if we've already won something before we even play the game.

But this team has the potential to be the best ! They are definitely one of the most talented and deepest we've seen in a long, long time.........I just don't want to jinx them before Saturday....LOL ! So I'm afraid to brag to much .....yet !

+1

yep if they don't win it they can go down as the best team to not win it all

as of right now the 86 GARDEN GREEN DRAGONS is the best team not to win it all but this years blues team would have their way with them i'd say...... :eek:

The 1992 team was pretty good. Had a lot of seniors on that team. Will this team ever be respected................with the long cleats and all? At least 4 of the coaches went on to be pretty good head coaches.

'98 Powell Valley period! They easily beat Appalachia('98 Division 1 champion) and Gate City('98 Division 3 champion) also beat Richlands(dont know what kind of team Richlands had that year). Undefeated season, led by Julius Jones and his 2,000+ yards rushing. I think this is the season where the PV defense only allowed a handfull(maybe 0) of plays over 10 yards. Ive seen film on them and I havent seen a team that good from this area.

I was around during that time and this years "BLUES" team Is better than that team in my opinion. Appy did not win state in 98. They won in 97. I think Appalachia has to be mentioned up there as one of the best in SWVA.

The 98 powell valley team is not as well rounded as richlands is this year. They have 4 or 5 D1 prospects on this team. 98 powell valley only had 1 d1 prospect. Blues are more well rounded as a team and another thing the BLUES are AA not A. The BLUES are at least 2 TD's better than that team if not more. I would say 3TD's

I wont argue with you because you probably know more about it than I do, im a little young for greatest of all time conversation just wanted to throw PV in there.

I dont think AA vs A makes much of a difference. '10 Richlands may have more D1 talent but I dont think they have 1 player as good as Thomas or Julius, the Johnson kid #44 is good but I dont know if he it TJ or JJ good.

Was it '97 that PV beat GC and Appy when they were state champs?

This years Richlands team is very good no doubt but lets see if they can bring back any hardware before we all start crowning them as the greatest of all time.