Patrick Henry

Warriors_XO

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Falconfan1, when you know jack about football come back and talk to me

Meaty_2, im not a know-it-all, but I do know what im talking about, most teams in this area run an 8 man front, against a 4 wide formation it becomes a 6 man front. Im from Haysi and we have been running spread sets for the past 25 years so I have a pretty good idea about how a defense will line up against a 2x2 or 3x1 set! As far as slide protection that is for passing the ball not running it, I didnt mention PHs pass blocking schemes. Dive wont work consistantly out of a spread set, 5 blockers vs 6 defenders. PH may read the end and trap backside like Abingdon but they dont have the quality of players that Abingdon does(hence their problems and why people have a problem w/ Compton). Most local teams DO NOT run zone blocking schemes. The basic rules of blocking have not changed, not at this level, Gap-On-Backer works

Jonah58, sorry for not making myself clear, Haysi runs a FB/QB read on the DE w/ man on man blocking (also ran it some this year from shotgun w/ HB/QB) like the veer w/o the pitch read, just a basic end read, thats more what I was referring to. I still dont agree that zone blocking will work(at least not consistantly) due to a stacked box, those seams that the zone exploits and relies on just arent there due to the extra linebacker. The Hugh Wyatt system is pretty tough to stop, like you said 2 basic plays and a QB keep, trap or pass every now and then to mix things up

Hammerhead, Palmer is Mark Palmer the head coach at St Paul, hes a good guy, gets alot out of his kids and knows offense. He doesent have any state or region titles that I know of as a head coach(coaching at St Paul and Ervinton makes it hard, the situations at St paul, Ervinton and Patrick Henry are similar) but he does have some district titles and has been coaching for 15 or so years and has had some success at schools where very few have

Im not saying anything against Compton personally, he may be a great, dedicated, hard working guy but his offensive scheme doesent fit his players very well and it shows

I think that covers everyone

Edited by redtiger

Redtiger! I don't claim to know everything about football, however; I can spell defense though. Sorry that your knowledge is so superior to mine Lombardi. I wouldn't run off at the mouth just yet. Don't think that you all have any state championships in your pocket in football. You might have a few district crowns and maybe a region crown but don't act like you know so much about the game.

Falconfan1, when you know jack about football come back and talk to me

Meaty_2, im not a know-it-all, but I do know what im talking about, most teams in this area run an 8 man front, against a 4 wide formation it becomes a 6 man front. Im from Haysi and we have been running spread sets for the past 25 years so I have a pretty good idea about how a defense will line up against a 2x2 or 3x1 set! As far as slide protection that is for passing the ball not running it, I didnt mention PHs pass blocking schemes. Dive wont work consistantly out of a spread set, 5 blockers vs 6 defenders. PH may read the end and trap backside like Abingdon but they dont have the quality of players that Abingdon does(hence their problems and why people have a problem w/ Compton). Most local teams DO NOT run zone blocking schemes. The basic rules of blocking have not changed, not at this level, Gap-On-Backer works

Jonah58, sorry for not making myself clear, Haysi runs a FB/QB read on the DE w/ man on man blocking (also ran it some this year from shotgun w/ HB/QB) like the veer w/o the pitch read, just a basic end read, thats more what I was referring to. I still dont agree that zone blocking will work(at least not consistantly) due to a stacked box, those seams that the zone exploits and relies on just arent there due to the extra linebacker. The Hugh Wyatt system is pretty tough to stop, like you said 2 basic plays and a QB keep, trap or pass every now and then to mix things up

Hammerhead, Palmer is Mark Palmer the head coach at St Paul, hes a good guy, gets alot out of his kids and knows offense. He doesent have any state or region titles that I know of as a head coach(coaching at St Paul and Ervinton makes it hard, the situations at St paul, Ervinton and Patrick Henry are similar) but he does have some district titles and has been coaching for 15 or so years and has had some success at schools where very few have

Im not saying anything against Compton personally, he may be a great, dedicated, hard working guy but his offensive scheme doesent fit his players very well and it shows

I think that covers everyone

Don't worry about igniting passion!!!!!!

If Palmer gets hired at Patrick Henry it'll be Rebelmania sweeping Washington County.

"Malibu" Mark Palmer moonlights as a professional wrestler, and a semi-pro body builder. His favorite track to pump it up to in his gym... "It's raining men."

You can not make this stuff up!

A Cumberland District Championship is like a poopey flavored lollipop..

Twin Springs.... St. Paul.... Castlewood....... ER VIN TON..... Thom Johnny Walker...... Scammel at C-wood has picked up their intensity, and Co burn since they got out the LPD after a 50 year shallacking but I mean come on man.

Don't tell the teams that are winning with that on,over, or inside has changed. Ask poor ol' East Montgomery or even Richlands what kind of blocking rules Riverheads and Poquoson used. Heck look at Gate City they were as old school and traditional as could be they won as well.

Well i got news for you blue crue i dont think ph has the same caliber athletes as the gate city's, Poquson nor richlands. Thats is obivious! When you have players, especially ones that get in the weight room and are as comitted as the names you mentioned it is alot easier. For whats its worth, probably not much ph's spread was pretty much the same as richlands etc... just fewer athletes. They were not big enough or strong enough to line up in the straight t and blow people of the ball.

Falconfan1, you should know that names(such as yours) should be capitalized and in your sentence "I don't claim to know everything about football, however; I can spell defense though.", he though really isint necessary.

No Haysi doesent have any State crowns, but the program does have 3 Region D titles and many, many district titles. Im not saying Haysi is the cradle of football knowledge, just that alot of the "new" innovations that teams are using nowadays have been done at Haysi by James Colley since the late 80s.

As far as what I do or dont know about football, well, I know enough

Edited by redtiger

Don't worry about igniting passion!!!!!!

If Palmer gets hired at Patrick Henry it'll be Rebelmania sweeping Washington County.

"Malibu" Mark Palmer moonlights as a professional wrestler, and a semi-pro body builder. His favorite track to pump it up to in his gym... "It's raining men."

You can not make this stuff up!

A Cumberland District Championship is like a poopey flavored lollipop..

Twin Springs.... St. Paul.... Castlewood....... ER VIN TON..... Thom Johnny Walker...... Scammel at C-wood has picked up their intensity, and Co burn since they got out the LPD after a 50 year shallacking but I mean come on man.

You dont understand, we don't want Palmer. I hope the man realizes that the parents up here are not interested in him. He's not the answer.

I know Dennis Vaught made mistakes when he was coaching, but he is from this area, and as far as coaching, he was one of the best. If PH could hire him, he would have PH competing for a Championship in a few years!

I know Dennis Vaught made mistakes when he was coaching, but he is from this area, and as far as coaching, he was one of the best. If PH could hire him, he would have PH competing for a Championship in a few years!

Now, this quote is funny.

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/feb/08/prep-football-mike-compton-resigns-post-patrick-he-ar-827226/

PREP FOOTBALL: Mike Compton resigns post at Patrick Henry

By Tim Hayes

Published: February 08, 2011

The 2010 football season was marked by losses for the Patrick Henry High School football team. Now, the team is dealing with another loss.

Mike Compton confirmed on Monday that he has resigned as the head coach at PH after three seasons at the helm. He said he’s accepted a job at Bluefield College, joining head coach Mike Gravier’s staff as the offensive line coach.

Bluefield will begin play in 2012 in the NAIA’s Mid-South Conference.

“I’ve always wanted to try to get into [coaching at] the college level,†Compton said. “The opportunity came along at Bluefield College. Coach Gravier contacted me a couple of weeks ago and wanted to know if I was interested in being hired as a full-time coach and to coach the offensive line.

“It was just an opportunity that I couldn’t turn down.â€

It will be the latest stop in the football odyssey of the 40-year-old Compton. After starring at Richlands High School and West Virginia University, he played on the offensive line for the Detroit Lions, New England Patriots and Jacksonville Jaguars in a NFL career that lasted from 1993-2004.

He won two Super Bowl rings with New England.

After his playing days were over, Compton spent two seasons as an assistant at Tazewell, before arriving at PH in 2008.

He was 6-24 in his three seasons as PH struggled with small rosters in each of those years. It was his first experience as a head coach.

“You’re more in a managerial position [as head coach], implementing your system, starting a weight program and trying to get players out,†Compton said. “I learned a lot about running a program and things that go into it, just being in charge of the program on a day to day, year in and year out basis.â€

This past season was mired by a 0-10 showing in which none of the Rebels’ games were closer than 14 points.

“It was rough,†Compton said. “It was not expected. Our biggest concern as a coaching staff and as the head coach, we had lost a lot of skill players after the ’09 season. We kind of ended the year being better at the skill positions than we thought, but we weren’t as consistent up front as we thought we could be.â€

While the losses outnumbered the wins during his time at PH, Compton still saw some positives for a program that hasn’t reached the playoffs since 1999.

“I came to try to lay a foundation and build a program from the ground up,†Compton said. “We headed in the right direction. A lot of people might not understand or agree with the things that I, or the coaches, did.â€

Compton improved the locker room and weight room facilities at PH. He said involvement had increased this offseason and things should be improved in 2011 with whoever is named as the new coach.

“We’ve got more kids now interested in doing the things that it takes to be good, other than just playing on Friday nights,†he said. “Lifting weights, getting peopled involved in the weight program. Anytime you try to build a program or resurrect one, you’re going to go through a lot of ups and downs and sometimes it seems more downs than ups. I think we, as coaches, were headed in the right direction.

“I know wins and losses are what people gauge and look upon you as a coach. But just being here day in and day out, we saw a lot of positive things that are encouraging.â€

thayes@bristolnews.com | Twitter: @Hayes_BHCSports | (276) 645-2570

Life has many choices---eternity two

You dont understand, we don't want Palmer. I hope the man realizes that the parents up here are not interested in him. He's not the answer.

How do you not want the Malibu one?

Free tanning bed plans for every player...... always a fundraiser with the wrestling matches! The possibilities are endless!

He loves to air it out, all those quadrouple reverse passes that work so well on Ervintons of the world!

Washington County better say their prayers and take their vitamns!

Whatcha gonna do when the Malibu One Runs Wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiillllldddd on youuuuuuuuu

DIG IT

You are so defensive. you are either compton or his son. And that first sentence made no sense whatsoever.

Hum!! Let me clarify my sentence since u don't understand simple english! All coaches talk about their players, good or bad. Ph is not the only place that has some players that just slap it around. Secondly, I wish I was compton or his son cause I'd tell u to kiss my a#*! I know who u r and self promoting on the board does nothing! If Palmer was so great then why has he been stuck in the same place for all these years?! Fact is he applied for both the ph and john battle job and didn't get picked. Plus, he applied a second time at JSB and the AD pretty much told him to go screw him self. Let's see how great he does in Washington county! Every one knows that once u get out of washington county football takes on a different meaning! So u can talk about the double wing, bay city double slot and the single wing all u want its the attitude of the kids. They are lazy and have had their butts wiped for so long its ridiculous! If u r who I think u are I hope u get ph job cause u gonna have a big surprise in store for u this fall!

Amen!! Break out the illegal cleats and run the I-formation. I think if u look at all the Vaught teams u will find something that's missing at ph! Players!! Yeah he's a champion! Problem is wherever he has won within 1-2 years he's been fired, let go or asked to resign. Spoken like a true Vaught fan. Win at all cost! Don't worry bout teaching the kids that there's more to football than wins and losses. Just win baby!! Yeah!! U dunba**!

New developments tonight. Heard Tommy Crigterd is putting in for the PH job. Looks like the 1-29 record he sported at TV got some heads turning. I don't know if he will get the job though. Last time he coached at PH he flipped off the home fans. Reckon they will remember that?

New developments tonight. Heard Tommy Crigterd is putting in for the PH job. Looks like the 1-29 record he sported at TV got some heads turning. I don't know if he will get the job though. Last time he coached at PH he flipped off the home fans. Reckon they will remember that?

It seems to me, considering all the negativity, that PH will be hard pressed to find anyone who wants to coach there. Is there no coach out there who you PH “supporters” (and I use that word very loosely) would support without throwing them under the bus before they reach campus? I don’t know any of these guys personally, but if the coach mentioned above flipped of the PH home fans maybe he had good reason. He probably should have mooned them while he was at it. Will anyone ever be able to please the PH faithful? My sister lives in Glade Springs, and she is very close to some of the parents and their kids who compete in PH sports, and it is clear to me by what she tells me that there is a serious attitude problem that has been there long before Mike Compton arrived. He was fighting a losing battle, but he was making progress with the program as a whole. The weight program has improved, and the work ethic has also improved dramatically. But the attitude of the parents and town in general is one of entitlement. News flash: It takes hard work and dedication, along with POSITIVE SUPPORT from the the fan base to be successful. Maybe the fans of PH should look at themselves first before blaming all the problems on the coaches.

Edited by blueinbama

It seems to me, considering all the negativity, that PH will be hard pressed to find anyone who wants to coach there. Is there no coach out there who you PH “supporters†(and I use that word very loosely) would support without throwing them under the bus before they reach campus? I don’t know any of these guys personally, but if the coach mentioned above flipped of the PH home fans maybe he had good reason. He probably should have mooned them while he was at it. Will anyone ever be able to please the PH faithful? My sister lives in Glade Springs, and she is very close to some of the parents and their kids who compete in PH sports, and it is clear to me by what she tells me that there is a serious attitude problem that has been there long before Mike Compton arrived. He was fighting a losing battle, but he was making progress with the program as a whole. The weight program has improved, and the work ethic has also improved dramatically. But the attitude of the parents and town in general is one of entitlement. News flash: It takes hard work and dedication, along with POSITIVE SUPPORT from the the fan base to be successful. Maybe the fans of PH should look at themselves first before blaming all the problems on the coaches.

Amen brother. The entitlement mentality has plagued PH and Northwood for a few years. People no longer want to work hard for their success in these places.

Seriously I think that someone who would come in and continue with the positive and connect with the kids in a way like Matlock has at Holston or Witten did at JSB or Tom Turner at Appy AND stick with an offense that boasts a consistant running attack could do well at patrick henry. Who will that be? I don't know. We will see.

Seriously I think that someone who would come in and continue with the positive and connect with the kids in a way like Matlock has at Holston or Witten did at JSB or Tom Turner at Appy AND stick with an offense that boasts a consistant running attack could do well at patrick henry. Who will that be? I don't know. We will see.

Whoever is hired needs to be given the respect and support of the students and the community no matter what offense or defense he chooses to employ. That’s the problem. Everyone thinks they know what is best for PH, but what is best for PH is for the community to come together in support of the new coaching staff. It has nothing to do with running the ball more or passing the ball more, it has everything to do with these kids witnessing the adults supporting the program no matter what offense or defense the coach chooses to run. As players and parents, as well as the community, PH would be better served if the new guy is given at least a fighting chance, and the community should put their agenda aside. Let the new coach succeed or fail, but let him have the freedom to coach without starting out behind the eight ball with the community.

Edited by blueinbama

Whoever is hired needs to be given the respect and support of the students and the community no matter what offense or defense he chooses to employ. That’s the problem. Everyone thinks they know what is best for PH, but what is best for PH is for the community to come together in support of the new coaching staff. It has nothing to do with running the ball more or passing the ball more, it has everything to do with these kids witnessing the adults supporting the program no matter what offense or defense the coach chooses to run. As players and parents, as well as the community, PH would be better served if the new guy is given at least a fighting chance, and the community should put their agenda aside. Let the new coach succeed or fail, but let him have the freedom to coach without starting out behind the eight ball with the community.

I agree with most of that. I am just biased against trying to take what works in college and the nfl and forcing it on HS kids. That's just an opinion though. But I agree with what you are saying.

I think ANY coach w/ experience and a successful record that applies for the PH job should be given serious consideration by the community, school and players. They should also be grateful that said coach applied given the current state of PH football. Not trying to knock the program but it is a pretty bad situation.

Edited by redtiger

I agree with most of that. I am just biased against trying to take what works in college and the nfl and forcing it on HS kids. That's just an opinion though. But I agree with what you are saying.

DUDE!! Seriously you need to get off the college/nfl lingo and attend more ph games. There was nothing being run or coached at ph thats anything close to the nfl/college schemes. Everything they did was high school based, including the blocking on runs or pass. I dont know where u get your info but feel free to ask any assistant or compton himself and you will see exactly what they were doing. i mean seriously do u think he actually tried to run nfl/college schemes with high school kids? I guess mance(RHS), Thurman(VHS) just to state a few, are running the nfl/college schemes. Don't think so. all 3 are the same basic schemes. Wait a minute!! those schools have ATHLETES!! Meaning more than 2 or 3.

Richlands, Virginia High and Patrick Henry do not run the same basic scheme, VA High and Richlands dont even run the same scheme and if you really think they do you really dont know anythig about Xs and Os. Just because 2 teams are both running spread sets doesent mean they are running a similar scheme.

But you are right VA High and Richlands do have better athletes than PH. The schemes they run fit their personnel, PHs scheme did not fit its personnel

Edited by redtiger

DUDE!! Seriously you need to get off the college/nfl lingo and attend more ph games. There was nothing being run or coached at ph thats anything close to the nfl/college schemes. Everything they did was high school based, including the blocking on runs or pass. I dont know where u get your info but feel free to ask any assistant or compton himself and you will see exactly what they were doing. i mean seriously do u think he actually tried to run nfl/college schemes with high school kids? I guess mance(RHS), Thurman(VHS) just to state a few, are running the nfl/college schemes. Don't think so. all 3 are the same basic schemes. Wait a minute!! those schools have ATHLETES!! Meaning more than 2 or 3.

Dude! Thanks for proving my point. Richlands and VHS have athletes. Therefore the offense fits the kids. If PH is trying to do the same thing without the same athletes, it AIN'T GONNA WORK, AND didn't work genius. That's why we are all saying that PH should have been using a scheme that fit their kids and if they did they wouldn't have been 6-24.

A good coach don't blame the kids, he blames himself. Thanks for proving my point Junior, you made my day.

I think the spread offense can be good if the right coach installs it with basic rules. I haven't seen it ran great at PH but feel it does have alot of threats with it. I think it prepares our kids for the college level because of all the colleges running it. Like I said I've complained about it but do think it can be ran with the right coach and the kids that are coming up.