toughest places to play

rebel1

Is there really a tough place to play or do teams just play better on their home court? I can remember when Abingdon and Graham used to go at it around 2003-2006 and their student sections were really really good. It was a tough enviroment to play in. Even Lee when they were in the Highlands had a really good student section. It got the fans into the game and made for a very good home court advantage. I've been to a lot of schools in the last 2 years and I haven't seen a place that is tough to play in. Just teams playing better on their home floor.

I can remember 3 or 4 years ago Richlands, Grundy, and Abingdon had really good student sections, always screaming and chanting. I haven't been to Abingdon in awhile but Richlands and Grundy crowd has died down over the years.

I can remember 3 or 4 years ago Richlands, Grundy, and Abingdon had really good student sections, always screaming and chanting. I haven't been to Abingdon in awhile but Richlands and Grundy crowd has died down over the years.

I think that TWIN VALLEY is one of the hardest places to play

Looks like after last night everyone could say Hurley. They put a near 30 pt beat down on Twin Valley last night. The Rebels have not lost a game at home since Feb. 2009. They are tough at home and the crowd really gets behind them and they feed off the Hurley crowd well and always seems to play better at home because of the fans!!

Looks like after last night everyone could say Hurley. They put a near 30 pt beat down on Twin Valley last night. The Rebels have not lost a game at home since Feb. 2009. They are tough at home and the crowd really gets behind them and they feed off the Hurley crowd well and always seems to play better at home because of the fans!!

Last night you couldn't have fit another person in that gym, it was packed to the rafters. People were sitting in the floor, standing up in the corners. It was the biggest crowd ive ever seen at a high school basketball game. Except tournaments obviously.

Sandlick b/c some kid from Haysi looks like they crawl out of the creek at Birchleaf and they go about 20-for 30 on 3's......

Graham is a tough place to play too b/c they have so few fans you can hear every shoe squeak and every jackwagon comment from the crowd haha.

It used to be Pocahontas, and Council when they had the faithful @ the Cobra den.

VA High is the toughest place to shoot at, b/c you don't have a background behind the backboard.

Personally I am a fan of the half moon outdoor basketball goals at C-howie lol

I heard tonight at the Graham Bluefield slaughter that the kid from Princeton still lives in Princeton. How can you play sports in Tazewell County and live in Princeton? I thought the kid from tazewell just got busted for the same thing and declaired ineligable. I was told a coach at Graham got him an address for possibly a month so he could play sports and he never physically moved. Is this true? If so how is it legal?

Abingdon's student section used to be close to a quarter of the bleachers. They sat across from the oppents bench and would chant and give the other team hell. I went to a game a few weeks ago and there might have been 25 students standing and not really chanting. What about Gate City? They used to have a good student section and the crowd was always into the game. Is it still like that?

Abingdon's student section used to be close to a quarter of the bleachers. They sat across from the oppents bench and would chant and give the other team hell. I went to a game a few weeks ago and there might have been 25 students standing and not really chanting. What about Gate City? They used to have a good student section and the crowd was always into the game. Is it still like that?

this year, up until the game last week against lee, no. But the student section is back in full force :)

Last night you couldn't have fit another person in that gym, it was packed to the rafters. People were sitting in the floor, standing up in the corners. It was the biggest crowd ive ever seen at a high school basketball game. Except tournaments obviously.

obviously you havent been to many big high school basketball games. Not nearly the biggest crowd i have seen. why does hurley play all their games in the small gym instead of the other one??

btw to answer the OP's question in 06' the valley was the toughest place to play

Growing up in KY, I have been to high school games where there are 5,000+ in the stands and in little cracker boxes with 500 souls sitting in bleachers 5 feet higher than the court where they are yelling and stomping in unison. A tough place to play can be either. It is always about passion about the game. You can find it at Marva High, Brunswick, RE Lee for example.

Whitewoods old school 3 rolls of bleachers right on the court out of bounds line under the bleachers court about 30 feet wide when they had the ball (fans put their feet under the bleachers) when we had the ball 27 feet wide (fans put their legs out) all of those crazy lines you had to watch out for you have to bring the ball across half court which was near the other teams foul line then you had another line that was under your own goal that then become the half court line.Dont forget about those rabid fans only 100 or so 50 standing loud and you thought that there were a 1000 of them. they beat us 109-90 at their place and I believe 54-50 at our place the same year that small court had some of our players scoring double their average. Thats all just a memory now I wish I knew someone that had pictures or videos from that gym.

• 2 weeks later...

The Cracker Box at J.J.Kelly. The gym is so tiny and the fans are so close to the players that folks have to move when kids inbound the ball. When the place is rocking and rolling,it is as loud (and stifling hot) as you'll ever find.

where in the heck is Marva High?!?

Did I misspell the nickname of your alma mater? If so, it was unintentional. I have nothing but respect for Martinsville basketball, and hope to have the pleasure of seeing them play again in the playoffs.

i knew who you meant...haha. i was just giving you a little friendly grief.

it's actually MAVAHI.

unfortunately the game atmosphere isn't nearly what it used to be at the doghouse these days either.

Hail our glorious Alma Mater dear,

Long may she lead the way;

And courage, faith and truth, her red and white display.

Long may scholars grow in wisdom, athletes nobly vie;

Bring home each victory to honor Mavahi.

Ever will our thoughts return to thee

When school days here are past;

As fleeting time reveals those values that will last.

Courage, faith, and truth remember, friendship tender tie

Ever our hearts will glow with love for Mavahi!

Edited by mhsalum