Consolidated school info

redtiger

Richlands used to wear Carolina Blue and I think some Red in there somewhere. Changed to Navy Blue sometime in the 70's, maybe around the same time the present day Ernie Hicks Stadium was built. Silver was used alot in the 90's and even into the early 2000's but has somewhat faded away.

Richlands used to wear Carolina Blue and I think some Red in there somewhere. Changed to Navy Blue sometime in the 70's, maybe around the same time the present day Ernie Hicks Stadium was built. Silver was used alot in the 90's and even into the early 2000's but has somewhat faded away.

I remember the Carolina Blue, but I don’t think Richlands ever had any red on their uniforms. I could be wrong, but I don’t remember any.

Anyone know anything about the following,

Has Tazewell Co always been Tazewell, Richlands, Graham and Pocahontas?

Has Scott County always been Rye Cove, Twin Springs and Gate City?

Has Russell Co always been Honaker, Lebanon and Castlewood?

Has Wythe Co always been George Wythe, Rural Retreat and Fort Chiswell?

Have Bland/Rocky Gap always played sports as Bland County?

Carroll Co was Hillsville HS and Woodlawn HS, any idea on mascots and colors?

I have some other holes still not filled in regard to mascots/colors but I will put the missing stuff up later(when I get it organized lol). Does anyone else find this as interesting as I do?

I remember the Carolina Blue, but I don’t think Richlands ever had any red on their uniforms. I could be wrong, but I don’t remember any.

Richlands, up to about 1977, I believe used some red trim and red numbers on the jerseys. They also used white helmets with a red R on them. I think when Coach Heldreth was hire in 1978?, he switched over to navy and white uniforms and navy helmets.

Has Scott County always been Rye Cove, Twin Springs and Gate City?

Has Russell Co always been Honaker, Lebanon and Castlewood?

Has Wythe Co always been George Wythe, Rural Retreat and Fort Chiswell?

Have Bland/Rocky Gap always been played sports as Bland County?

Carroll Co was Hillsville HS and Woodlawn HS, any idea on mascots and colors?

I have some other holes still not filled in regard to mascots/colors but I will put the missing stuff up later(when I get it organized lol). Does anyone else find this as interesting as I do?

Rocky Gap were the Eagles up until about 2000. Only basketball. One of their primary colors were green.

Richlands, up to about 1977, I believe used some red trim and red numbers on the jerseys. They also used white helmets with a red R on them. I think when Coach Heldreth was hire in 1978?, he switched over to navy and white uniforms and navy helmets.

GACoach is 100% correct. Red was a prominent accent color for RHS in the 1970's -- and I still remember a football game against Tazewell circa 1978 in which the only blue on the uniform was a stripe on the pants. The Blues had one particular set of gridiron uniforms that featured Columbia Blue jerseys with red cuffs and numerals and Columbia Blue pants with red and white stripes -- they wore them against Grundy in 1977.

The basketball team used a Columbia Blue and Red color scheme under Jack Lyons. To the best of my knowledge, the hoops teams had worn a light shade of blue and white prior to Coach Lyons tenure going back to the 1950's.

Baseball uniforms were primarily Navy Blue with red and white accents. There was also a grey accent stripe on the home white jerseys.

Transition to Navy and white came with Coach Heldreth in 1979, and was pretty much standardized for all sports within a few years.

For athletic purposes, that's been the historical lineup.

Many moons ago, there was a high school at Cedar Bluff (which was the alma mater of Governor George Peery, if I'm not mistaken). But I believe it was closed in the 1920's.

Doesn't Graham have two sets of official colors? Seems like I've heard that Cardinal and Gold are used for athletics, but Maroon and Gray are still the official "academic" colors.

Yes.

Maroon and gray were the official school colors until Coach Carlock came to Graham. He "revamped" the athletic uniforms going with the cardinal red/gold (Redskins fan) and the G-Star (with help from his good friend). Before that, Graham's helmets had a "G" similar to the Green Bay "G".

Now, there are two sets of official school colors as you stated.

Bland has always been the Bears I think. Orange and Blue. Bland and Rocky Gap high schools still exist separately I believe. They just combine for sports and make Bland County.

On its own, Bland is/was the Rockets. Gold and Blue, I believe.

Bland Rockets and they wore maroon and gold. Rocky Gap Eagles and they wore green and white. Also when Northwood was formed we students got to vote on school colors and the winner was blue and gold but some people from Saltville raised a little stink and it got changed.

Edited by 2dalejrfanz

Ah I had no idea. What year was Bland County sports formed? I want to say '92ish.

I had no idea they were the Rockets either. I believe Bland County's first football team was in 1992 because that is the year they joined the MED for football. I'm not sure if they were still the Rockets then or not though or when Rocky Gap joined for football.

Scott County hasn't always been RC/TS/GC. RC has been the primary western HS since around 1955 though I do believe. Mainly before that, there were small K-12 schools in western Scott County. Blackwater (who I think still holds the longest losing streak in HS bball, or close to it in VA) Duffield, Clinchport, and maybe Fairview were all K12s. Most were turned to elementary schools with Blackwater being closed all together I believe and the kids being sent to Fairview and Duffield Elementary.

Twin Springs was formed around 1967 or so by combining Dungannon and Nicklesville HS.

Gate City HS used to be Shoemaker HS and was formed around the same time as RC. I am not sure if Hiltons, Weber City and Yuma always sent their kids to Shoemaker as they do today with GC, or if they were K-12s possibly.

Midway, Manville and Fort Blackmore had schools also, but I am not sure if they were all K-12 at one time or not. Manville was K-12 though I am pretty sure and has been kept in good shape today although it is not in use. Midway no longer has a school with some kids in that area going to GC, and some to TS. Ft. Blackmore has an K-3 primary school today and those kids feed to Dungannon Intermediate 4-7 before going to Twin Springs.

here, I think, is all the stuff I have from 1965 up, plus a little more (I don't have anything on "colored" schools, except Scott Memorial in Wytheville, open from 52-65)

2008 - Tazewell Bulldogs and Graham G-Men absorb Pocahontas Indians

2004 - Bassett Bengals absorbs Fieldale-Collinsville Cavaliers & Magna Vista Warriors absorbs Laurel Park Lancers

2002 - VHSL allows the Bland Rockets & Rocky Gap Eagles to combine players for all sports teams, known as the Bland Co. Bears (football was combined in 92)

2001 - Whitewood Indians absorbs Garden Green Dragons and becomes Twin Valley Panthers

1989 - Jonesville Bulldogs, Pennington Bobcats, Flatwoods Eagles, Keokee Mountaineers & Dryden Crusaders becomes the Lee Generals... Thomas Walker Pioneers remains

1989 - Fries Wildcats & Independence Blue Devils become Grayson Co. Blue Devils

1989 - Drewry Mason Spartans & G.W. Carver Trojans become Magna Vista Warriors

1987 - R. B. Worthy Shakers absorbs Rich Valley Steers and becomes Northwood Panthers

1974 - Dublin Dukes & Pulaski Orioles become Pulaski Co. Cougars

1972 - Lebanon Pioneers absorbs Cleveland ?Indians?

1970 - Pennington Bobcats absorbs St. Charles Midgets

1969 - Stuart & Hardin Reynolds become Patrick Co. Cougars

1969 - Hillsville (Frank Beamer's alma mater) & Woodlawn form Carroll Co. Cavaliers

1968 - Dungannon Eagles & Nickelsville Bulldogs became Twin Springs Titans

1965 - Collinsville absorbs Fieldale to become Fieldale-Collinsville Cavaliers

1965 ?? Sugar Grove absorbed by Marion ??

1964 - Damascus & Liberty Hall become Holston Cavaliers

1962 - Floyd Co. - current bldg. opened

1962 - Ceres High moved to Bland

1961 - Pearisburg & Pembroke become Giles Spartans

1959 - Glade Spring & Meadowview become Patrick Henry

1959 - Big Stone Gap Buccaneers and East Stone Gap Tigers become Powell Valley Vikings

1956 - Shoemaker, Cleveland (Yuma) & Hiltons (and maybe Midway ???) became Gate City after Shoemaker burns down

1955 - Rye Cove Memorial and Fairview become Rye Cove

1954 or 5 - Clinchco High moved to Nora and became Ervinton Rebels

1953 - Axton, Ridgeway & Spencer-Penn become Drewry Mason Spartans

Edited by VHSLhelper

here, I think, is all the stuff I have from 1965 up, plus a little more (I don't have anything on "colored" schools, except Scott Memorial in Wytheville, open from 52-65)

Tazewell Co. High School ('cross tha trax in Bluefield, VA) closed sometime in the 60s (maybe) and those kids went to Graham. That school became Graham Junior High until Graham Middle School opened in 1981.