Graham changes??

frito gonzales

Henry would be a good choice....if he had more experience, but you don't want to throw him to the wolves with the enitre community breathing down his neck. I'd say let him get some more time in the heat of things and he will be more than prepared. As for Wyatt, from what i know of him he is a good person but as for coaching i think he is another simple minded coach. He isn't very deep in his playbook and is very conservative. They need to bring someone that can implement a whole new playbook and get these kids on the track to success

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doug did coach at Richlands under Todd Heldreth. It was his first job in 1980. I played for coach Heldreth and Doug was our line coach. Seems he hasnt changed much.

As I said, it must have been about 30 or so years ago...

Wyatt did not do anything to the Tazewell program. He won the regional championship with a team that he did not even build. He puts in half-a$$ effort that is why he is a half-a$$ coach. He was the last one to the field house and the first one to leave. He will have his favorites on the team and he will do anything to please parents. If he gets the job, he will bring Graham's program down further than it already is. Yeah. He might have coached in MED for 10+ years, but he only won one district championship in that time period.

Wyatt did not do anything to the Tazewell program. He won the regional championship with a team that he did not even build. He puts in half-a$$ effort that is why he is a half-a$$ coach. He was the last one to the field house and the first one to leave. He will have his favorites on the team and he will do anything to please parents. If he gets the job, he will bring Graham's program down further than it already is. Yeah. He might have coached in MED for 10+ years, but he only won one district championship in that time period.

Where did Wyatt coach in the MED? Pocy?

Where did Wyatt coach in the MED? Pocy?

yes. I would think winning the district once is pretty good considering he barely had 20 players to choose from.

I sense some hostility Tyler. Calm down buddy, it will all be ok!

I sense some hostility Tyler. Calm down buddy, it will all be ok!

Apparently, Tyler wasn't one of his "favorites" and he got his little feelings hurt...

While winning the MED has historically been about as easy as shooting fish in a barrell, winning it with Pocy once isn't all that bad on the resume. Although I do remember Pocy always having some decent athletes on the field, just few in number.

Apparently, Tyler wasn't one of his "favorites" and he got his little feelings hurt...

Tyler is an excellent young man and a member of the VT corp of cadets. They do not just let anyone in there G-MAn. YOu should know that.

He won that district championship at the smallest public high school in Virginia. Chew on that a bit. Plus, the team that nearly upset Richlands in 2008 he DID build. A team doesn't coach itself. The records still stand: Wyatt was coaching, and Tazewell won R4D3 in 2004.

He won that district championship at the smallest public high school in Virginia. Chew on that a bit. Plus, the team that nearly upset Richlands in 2008 he DID build. A team doesn't coach itself. The records still stand: Wyatt was coaching, and Tazewell won R4D3 in 2004.

"nearly upset" is not good enough. Tazewell had the talent to push for a state title that year. Observer, did you ever ponder why he was coaching the smallest high school in VA? And only one district title in the MED? C'mon Man!!! If he is so great, why did not turn out more titles? Nothing personal, just refuse to be a fan of Wyatt.

"nearly upset" is not good enough. Tazewell had the talent to push for a state title that year. Observer, did you ever ponder why he was coaching the smallest high school in VA? And only one district title in the MED? C'mon Man!!! If he is so great, why did not turn out more titles? Nothing personal, just refuse to be a fan of Wyatt.

Do you forget how LOADED Richlands has been since 2004? You're REALLY trying to tell me that Tazewell had more overall talent than Richlands in 2008? Push for state? Please. Richlands shut Tazewell's rear ends down in Game #1 that season, and it took a spirited effort by Tazewell to get it that close in the rematch. Considering that no one other than Richlands east of Roanoke has won R4D3 since they dropped to D3, I'd say getting within 1 point of them qualifies as "worth being mentioned".

Again, I repeat: He was coaching the smallest public school in the state of Virginia. This apparently didn't sink in. He took a school with barely 150 kids in grades 9-12 and won a MED title with them. That's MUCH harder than you and Tyler are making it look. You certainly have no JV to develop your younger guys. You pretty much take the hand you're dealt and mold them into football players. He racked up some very impressive marks at Pocahontas considering they had ZILCH in football history before he came.

Yes, I did ponder why someone would coach Pocahontas. Then I remembered: it's probably the most tight-knit place in SWVA. If you were lucky enough to get in their good graces, you were royalty. And Wyatt was royalty there in the 90s. It's the difference in being the largest fish in the tiniest pond and being an average fish in an average pond. If you prefer the second to the first, I don't know what to tell you.

I know you have nothing personal against him. But to rag on how little Wyatt's accomplished is spitting into the wind.

a reply like this shows you that Richlands' fans in the past 7 years or so have been spoiled. Richlands has been LOADED with talent, & most the time are dressing more players than they have jerseys.

In my 3 years at PHS we never had more than 25-28 players to start 2-a-days. By the season start we would be lucky to have 22 or so. After injuries that happen during the season we would be playing with under 20 EVERY game. Our last game we ever played against Galax we only dressed 16 people for that game. How do you expect to win a football game when you only have 16 people???

Wyatt did a good job at PHS with what he had to work with. There was no consistent JV program to feed into varsity. There wasn't the great facilities that most teams around here have. My freshman year there I started on the OLine and at LB, and played every down of most games. As great as a coach as Mance is, I wonder how he would fare if he only dressed 20 people and played freshman every minute of the game?

No disrespect to Mance, just a honest question. You can question what Wyatt did at Tazewell if you want, but there is NO way you can question what he did at Pocahontas.

Dear Richlands,

We hear at Graham want to win again, and we all know that your boys love to pretty themselves up with fancy uniforms and cute wrist bands and such so we have a deal to throw out there for you. In exchange for Greg Mance we will buy you all a stock in Nike so that the boys can always look there best! Thank you for understanding.

Signed,

Graham G-men

=) P.S. THIS IS ALL IN FUN RICHLANDS

Hate to nit-pick, but I'm pretty sure Pocy wasn't the smallest publiic HS in Va.

Without digging through folders to look, I'd say MAYBE Chincoteague and most likely Council were smaller, and definately Mt. Rogers.

I believe that Pocy was the smallest school in VA playing football at the time. Enrollment was usually in the low 100s 9-12.

Dear Richlands,

We hear at Graham want to win again, and we all know that your boys love to pretty themselves up with fancy uniforms and cute wrist bands and such so we have a deal to throw out there for you. In exchange for Greg Mance we will buy you all a stock in Nike so that the boys can always look there best! Thank you for understanding.

Signed,

Graham G-men

=) P.S. THIS IS ALL IN FUN RICHLANDS

Throw in some recruits from Bluefield and Princeton, then we may have a deal.

Throw in some recruits from Bluefield and Princeton, then we may have a deal.

Woah! Pushing it a little bit! We give you an inch and you take a mile! You will get 2 recruits and you will like it! but we get your refs and its a sealed deal =)

Woah! Pushing it a little bit! We give you an inch and you take a mile! You will get 2 recruits and you will like it! but we get your refs and its a sealed deal =)

You can have our refs...they're always against us anyways. ;)

Now I have heard of baseball players in the minors being traded for balls and bats, but trading a coach for unis and some transfers is unusual. lol

I will be curious to see if Graham has the styling Nike gear this coming year though.

I believe that Pocy was the smallest school in VA playing football at the time. Enrollment was usually in the low 100s 9-12.

This is correct, Pocahontas was the smallest football playing school in the state thru the 90's. I think Mt Rogers,Council, and one of the eastern shore teams were smaller, but none of those played football at the time.