New Graham Coach?

Graham-VT Fan

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Does anyone have an idea as to when we could expect an announcement from TCSB?

You've got to be the most impatient person on this board...the announcement will come when its time...

You are entitled to your opinion I guess. But prior to 1973 when he took over what had Graham ever won in anything besides football? A state basketball title in 1956, and not another appearance until 1974, and after that 1987. That was the last one until 2002. What did baseball ever win? I can't ever remember Graham having a good baseball team as long as I have lived. And by that I mean a team capable of winning at least the region. Not to argue, but I stand by the fact that other than football Graham has never won at anything except for 1956. I guess it is wonderful for the basketball team to go what 9-17 and make the state tournament. Guess we need to give Doug Marrs credit for being such a wonderful AD if that is the case (rolls eyes).

There were some pretty good baseball teams in the late 70s/early 80s. They beat Tazewell more often than not, beat Richlands, always advanced far into the Coppinger tourney (when it actually had some great competition...in fact made the finals one year before losing by one run to WV power Mount View), beat the best team in SWVA (Virginia High) on several occasions, and so on. Some of those teams had some talent.....only many of those guys had other things on their mind and didn't concentrate fully on the task at hand.

There were some pretty good baseball teams in the late 70s/early 80s. They beat Tazewell more often than not, beat Richlands, always advanced far into the Coppinger tourney (when it actually had some great competition...in fact made the finals one year before losing by one run to WV power Mount View), beat the best team in SWVA (Virginia High) on several occasions, and so on. Some of those teams had some talent.....only many of those guys had other things on their mind and didn't concentrate fully on the task at hand.

motivation this is what the coach does to get the best out of his players good coaches do this.

in fact made the finals one year before losing by one run to WV power Mount View

Yes! I was on that team!!!

And, yes, MV was very good in baseball back then...Coach Shaffron had a great program there back in the day...

Does State Runner-ups ring a bell from 1974 in basketball under the direction of Allen Wiley. Ronnie Edwards who signed with Don Devoe at Tech. By the way this was under Coach Carlock as AD!

What about BOOM BOOM Kelly he was the point and made the offense go!!!!

Alleghany

ok clifton forge area. lived there for about a year back when they did not do to well in football when my neice went to alleghany high about 6 years ago.if he gets the job hope he can help the gmen get back to where they were years ago.

ok clifton forge area. lived there for about a year back when they did not do to well in football when my neice went to alleghany high about 6 years ago.if he gets the job hope he can help the gmen get back to where they were years ago.

Well, Alleghany has never been known for football, but if he beat Rockbridge, Cave and Rustburg last season, that's pretty impressive to me.

Well, Alleghany has never been known for football, but if he beat Rockbridge, Cave and Rustburg last season, that's pretty impressive to me.

well rockbridge was only 3-7 rustburg was 2-8 this past year but in past years all these teams have been very good of the 3 cave springs last year was the class of them.

what school did he coach at

College coach for 6 years at VMI. Knows the kids and area make up very well. Will be a great pick for the school. Outstanding gentleman. A players coach.

I assumed he was the new coach

Just responding to previous posts about Graham needing an outsider....sorry, I didn't quote anybody when I responded...."may be" what the Dr. ordered....But I think he'd be my pick of the 6 remaining candidates.....Wyatt would be a solid pick, too but I think the better choice would be Baker. Wyatt may only have a few years left before he retires.

Stay tuned to the school board meeting next week, if they have picked somebody....they will have to approve the hire at the next board meeting.

Edited by futbolking

Just responding to previous posts about Graham needing an outsider....sorry, I didn't quote anybody when I responded...."may be" what the Dr. ordered....But I think he'd be my pick of the 6 remaining candidates.....Wyatt would be a solid pick, too but I think the better choice would be Baker. Wyatt may only have a few years left before he retires.

Stay tuned to the school board meeting next week, if they have picked somebody....they will have to approve the hire at the next board meeting.

lets hope they do by then cause ghs needs to get coach in very soon.

lets hope they do by then cause ghs needs to get coach in very soon.

I do believe they've already made their pick, I just don't think they'll make it public until the board approves it at the meeting next monday.

I see that Baker is a Social Studies teacher, too. Is there an opening at Graham or the middle school for Social Studies?

Edited by futbolking

bing bing bing....we may have a winner....

lets hope that if he gets the job he will bring ghs football back to it proud tradition of hard nose football. i have a friend that has worked at vmi for 40 plus years will have to check and see what she thinks about him and his years at vmi and how he got along with the kids. can only be a plus being even a small college coach for ghs. even though vmi has not been among the elite in thier division they have played hard with what they have had over they years.