Summer expectations. Is this legal?

southbound

I think thats sort of the issue; are 14 - 18 year olds kids or young adult? IMO they are young adults, they need to take on some responsibility and learn that you have to work for what you want. Thats the point of HS sports; develop into adults, learn something about life(success, failure, etc) and in the process become a better person.

I consider my time playing football some of the best times of my life(so far), its a privilage to play. IMO if your not willing to work at least 6 hours a week in the off season to make yourself and your team better then you dont deserve the privilage. You havent earned it

Honestly I enjoyed lifting almost as much as playing ball.

agreed

and on a similar note my eldest is playing summer baseball with the football coaches blessing toward that end (as well as lifting). I see so many youth growing up nowadays with a feeling of entitlement. I have taught my 2 that if you want it you have to bust your chops to get it

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I for one can tell you that I have seen kids pushed too far and get burned out on sports.....

Kids playing multiple sports year round and being pushed by their parents to do so, in my opinion is wrong....

However, if a kid wants to dedicate himself to a sport like say football....and concentrate on that, that's great. But this kid should realize that there are other kids competing for spots and he / she can't just show up first day of practice and expect to be able to be a starter....

Nothing wrong if a kid wants to play other sports in the off-season either, as long as that's what the kid "wants" to do... Always burned me up to see a football coach telling a kid "not to play" a certain sport....

Another point, what's wrong with lifting and conditioning all summer....AND taking a week or two for vacation during that time. I don't know any coach that would have a problem with that.

The coaches want the kids to be "conditioned" for football...and that's not going to happen in 2 or 3 weeks prior to the season....you have to be lifting and conditioning for some time before the season begins, or you'll be knocked on your butt and out of breath, while the other team is running over top of you....

I for one can tell you that I have seen kids pushed too far and get burned out on sports.....

Kids playing multiple sports year round and being pushed by their parents to do so, in my opinion is wrong....

However, if a kid wants to dedicate himself to a sport like say football....and concentrate on that, that's great. But this kid should realize that there are other kids competing for spots and he / she can't just show up first day of practice and expect to be able to be a starter....

Nothing wrong if a kid wants to play other sports in the off-season either, as long as that's what the kid "wants" to do... Always burned me up to see a football coach telling a kid "not to play" a certain sport....

Another point, what's wrong with lifting and conditioning all summer....AND taking a week or two for vacation during that time. I don't know any coach that would have a problem with that.

The coaches want the kids to be "conditioned" for football...and that's not going to happen in 2 or 3 weeks prior to the season....you have to be lifting and conditioning for some time before the season begins, or you'll be knocked on your butt and out of breath, while the other team is running over top of you....

I'm not one of those parents who pushes my kids,wanting them to be superstars. I saw so much of that while coaching Little League I grew to despise it They do what they are wanting to do,but I sure am glad that the eldest is self-motivated enough to know that playing multiple sports will keep him in shape (and even better for me keep him busy. Bored kids tend to get into bad situations). My kids are aware though if they make a commitment to do so and I invest time and money into it to assist them meet their goals,then I expect them to put in the work required to succeed

futbolking I agree 100%.

How does everyones school do of season conditioning?

At Haysi after football season was over we took 2 weeks or so off then started lifting and once spring came around we would add running to that(running was voluntary meaning the strength coach usually wasnt involved). Usually the daily program lasted a little over an hour with the occasional long(HARD) day of 2 hours. Some of us would stay 1/2 hour over and do extra stuff(usually to work a specific muscle group ex chest, back, forearms, whatever).

My son is an upcoming senior at Richlands. He eats, breaths, sleeps, football. But he does take one week off to go to the beach with his family every summer. Weight lifting is from 0830-1100 Mon through Thurs. that is not an unreasonable amount to excpect, I don't think, and I think he has plenty of time to be with friends, girlfriend, ect. and just be a kid and still excell at a sport he loves.

This is how it should be said: At the current school I am part of. All students are welcome to attend off season condition. This is open to anyone playing male or female sports. This is why you need conditioning. Number one reason for your safety. by making the muscles stronger your bones are less likely to break or grind on each other wearing out the joints. Number two reason is if your coach wants you to be the best athlete you can be not what you might just show up and be. Number three reason is coming to conditioning allows you and your teammates to come closer together and truely be a team. As for your swimming workout you are right about it being total body if it is done in the right way.

My son is an upcoming senior at Richlands. He eats, breaths, sleeps, football. But he does take one week off to go to the beach with his family every summer. Weight lifting is from 0830-1100 Mon through Thurs. that is not an unreasonable amount to excpect, I don't think, and I think he has plenty of time to be with friends, girlfriend, ect. and just be a kid and still excell at a sport he loves.

And dedication like that is one reasons that the blues have been so successful over the last several years !

All of the top programs around here have a lot of kids that work like this, and that's one of the things that make them different.

It really shows up in the 3rd and 4th qtr. of a game.

My kids have been in the weight room since they entered middle school (their choice) I have ask them to go to the beach and other places during the summer and they relpy Dad we want to lift weights during the summer and get ready for football.do i let my kids be kids? yes. they swim,go to movies,go to dollywood,camping on the weekends but if the weight room is open thats where they can be found. do i agree with it?yes..why you may ask? because i know what is out there in the world to get into things alot worse that spending your time in a weight room. my oldest is attending a very good college and is going to play ball for them,he finished high school with a 4.3 GPA so i dont think lifting weights in the summer hurt him. my other son has a few year left in high school and he has a GPA of 3.7 dont think its hurt him either..I am very proud of the young men they have become....Like i said in my other post if you want playing time you best be in the weight room and whatever else the coach has going on..

and i would say if a kid wants to go on to college albeit a small college and play football i would think that college coaches will look at that kids dedication in highschool to lifting weights and to his football team along with grades.

and i would say if a kid wants to go on to college albeit a small college and play football i would think that college coaches will look at that kids dedication in highschool to lifting weights and to his football team along with grades.
college coaches do look at kids dedication and work habits its just like when you apply for a job they dont say ok you are hired the want referances and your work history,that why its good for them to start a good habit early.Football just like all other sports teach more than just how to play the game wish all kids could play something then maybe just maybe we would not have all the drug,murder,stealing like we do. Just my 2cents...........

I have a question for everyone here. With all the dedication the young men at Abingdon give to the Falcon Awesome Football Program HOW HAVE THEY NOT WON ATLEAST ONE FOOTBALL STATE CHAMPIONSHIP IN THE LAST FIVE YEARS? With that kind of dedication they should be winning at the least two every four to five years!:rolleyes:

I started lifting today with a personal trainer at a local gym in town. Dad wanted me use the personal trainer (he is one of dad's clients). They both said that most coaches don't understand how to properly lift any way. I am really sore (hope he gives me tomorrow off), not sure what I will be able to do feeling like this. My trainer said that my core is very strong and he could tell that I have been doing a lot of swimming. I will try to keep everyone posted on daily workouts (glad he couldn't tell I had partied at the beach with falcon man on senior week). We threw down a bunch of wine coolers. Ha ha!

Well my son is an upcoming SR and I will tell you that a few years ago he slacked off in the weight room after working really hard to build up his size and ended up getting seriously hurt. If you do not work our properly you will end up getting hurt! As far as a coach saying you wont get to play if you dont show up how fair is it if you dont ever show up to summer work outs and you get to play over someone that has worked their butt off all spring and summer??? If the talent is the same. Football requires commitment if it is going to work and for you to be successful! My son has a job and he still works out everyday if he isnt in the weight room he is running. I wish everyone a safe and great football season!!! Cant wait til those Friday Night lights start!!! GOO RED!

I started lifting today with a personal trainer at a local gym in town. Dad wanted me use the personal trainer (he is one of dad's clients). They both said that most coaches don't understand how to properly lift any way. I am really sore (hope he gives me tomorrow off), not sure what I will be able to do feeling like this. My trainer said that my core is very strong and he could tell that I have been doing a lot of swimming. I will try to keep everyone posted on daily workouts (glad he couldn't tell I had partied at the beach with falcon man on senior week). We threw down a bunch of wine coolers. Ha ha!

Wine coolers, eh? You're a manly man!

This says tons about the attitude down that way to me, of course a personal trainer( who stands to make money from you) is gonna say they know more than someone else about weightlifting, I mean what are they supposed to say? If they say oh sure, they staff there has a solid weightlifting program then they are gonna lose you as a client, why don't you impress me even more... and wait for the season to start then post about all your awesome stats!! :rolleyes:

Day 2: today's training regiment was mostly cardiovascular. My pt let me have the day off from weights, I was really sore anyway. I had to ride the bike a lot today and get on an elliptical machine to finish up. We thought I should work on my 40 time, so my pt has me running 50 yard sprints. He thinks that will help me on my 40 time (most people would never think of this). He raised his voice today when I was running, dad said that he was just trying to push me and make me run harder. He is really serious, I hope he will adjust some after we get to know each other better. Well, I am really tired after day 2- will let you know how the weight room goes tomorrow.

Most likely you will spot him on the bench, if he makes it that far. If he can't take a PT raising his voice, then there is no way he makes the team. Oh! wait I forgot its the Falcon's, if his dad has enough money then he just might dress out.

You guys in "A" town amaze me. You are always talking about how good the "Birds" are and how great a program they have, and yet you choose to pay a PT to get you in shape for football, no wonder you can never win the big games.

You choose to whuss out on summer practice and think you still have a right to be a starter, you need to get with the program, Oh! there I go again forgetting who I am talking about, in "A" town there is no program.

Okay, Birdman and Southnut, we all will be looking forward to see the wine and cheese fly when we watch the Birds play our teams that have worked hard all summer. Good luck with that Winged Flappers!!!

Day 2: today's training regiment was mostly cardiovascular. My pt let me have the day off from weights, I was really sore anyway. I had to ride the bike a lot today and get on an elliptical machine to finish up. We thought I should work on my 40 time, so my pt has me running 50 yard sprints. He thinks that will help me on my 40 time (most people would never think of this). He raised his voice today when I was running, dad said that he was just trying to push me and make me run harder. He is really serious, I hope he will adjust some after we get to know each other better. Well, I am really tired after day 2- will let you know how the weight room goes tomorrow.

Another post to prove (s)he's a troll.

Sissy

No doubt! People just keep eating this crap up.

Seriously, what high school guy is going to brag about drinking wine coolers?

Exactly. The sad reality is...its probably a 32 year old guy living in his basement somewhere outside of Abingdon.

Exactly. The sad reality is...its probably a 32 year old guy living in his basement somewhere outside of Abingdon.

I think he's getting his own kicks off of pulling everybody's chains......I don't believe any of what he says for a minute.....nobody could have the thoughts go through their head that this guy does, I think it's all an act.