Best All Time for your school???

mdotson98

I think my uncle would deserve an honorable mention for an all-time Graham team. ;)

Right, GMan?

Yes. When I read that list, he was the first to pop into my mind that wasn't on that list. 1983...#63...should be there...

I agree Sugar Ray had all the talent in the world and this is coming from a Richlands boy. Another good one for Richlands was Josh Perkins,great kicker. Timmy Brown comes to mind too.

How about some the big nasties up front who were some the best ? Richlands obviously had Compton. Matt Mcglothlin was another good for Richlands.

Edited by BigBlue02

Richlands... Terry Wess, Jerry Wess, Timmy Brown, Justin McCracken, Caleb Jennings, Brandon Breeding, Bradley Strong, WIll Lowe, Cody Thomas and Mike Compton.

Rob Stanton, Austin Fuller, Jeremy McCommons, Adam Lallande

From an "all-time" perspective, Richlands has had some really outstanding players -- which makes this response a little tricky.

From the "before my time" files...

The Cranwell boys were exceptional athletes who went on to contribute at Tech back in the late '50s/early '60s. Jim Sam Gillespie was an outstanding LB who had a great career at VMI, where he is still very fondly remembered. I've mentioned this before, but there's a Sports Illustrated cover featuring a Tech/VMI matchup that captures both Gillespie and Billy Cranwell.

From my own observation....

Gary Lakey garnered statewide recognition in the late '70s while playing for RHS squads that struggled in the W/L column.

Jack Ginn is probably the very best place kicker in the history of the program.

Sandy Rogers has been mentioned, but his name is worth repeating.

I remember Gary Ward (early '80s) as being particularly explosive out of the backfield. If I'm not mistaken, I think he scored long yardage touchdowns on something like his first three carries as an underclassman.

Admittedly a bit biased because he's a buddy of mine, but it was really fun to watch Adam Lallande play. Only controversy I'd interject is which position he was better at...QB or defense.

And I know I'm simply parroting, but Mike Compton absolutely has to be on the list.

Forty Jackson, Upton Jackson, Thomas Jones, and Julius Jones all were Powell Valley graduates who went on to become 1st team college football all-americans - all had impressive individual HS stats and all four led the Vikings to HS state championships. Upton, Thomas, and Julius drafted by NFL with Thomas having been selected to the Pro-bowl.

Guest lookoutmountain

Got have JK Perkins in there as well as the Stiltner kid who was a bruising running back in the early 70's.

From an "all-time" perspective, Richlands has had some really outstanding players -- which makes this response a little tricky.

From the "before my time" files...

The Cranwell boys were exceptional athletes who went on to contribute at Tech back in the late '50s/early '60s. Jim Sam Gillespie was an outstanding LB who had a great career at VMI, where he is still very fondly remembered. I've mentioned this before, but there's a Sports Illustrated cover featuring a Tech/VMI matchup that captures both Gillespie and Billy Cranwell.

From my own observation....

Gary Lakey garnered statewide recognition in the late '70s while playing for RHS squads that struggled in the W/L column.

Jack Ginn is probably the very best place kicker in the history of the program.

Sandy Rogers has been mentioned, but his name is worth repeating.

I remember Gary Ward (early '80s) as being particularly explosive out of the backfield. If I'm not mistaken, I think he scored long yardage touchdowns on something like his first three carries as an underclassman.

Admittedly a bit biased because he's a buddy of mine, but it was really fun to watch Adam Lallande play. Only controversy I'd interject is which position he was better at...QB or defense.

And I know I'm simply parroting, but Mike Compton absolutely has to be on the list.

Can't argue with anything here. From what I've heard, Terry Wess was a one man wrecking crew.

My favorite player that I remember watching has to be Jermey McCommins. That kid made a lot of teams look rediculous from both sides of the ball.

not sure you could get ten players for twin valley, but here are some of the best......britt coleman, brandon helton, derek keen, wyatt justice, garrett horne.....all these guys are running backs lol...never had any great quarterbacks, and had a few good linemen but none that i can think of that would be on this list

if you are talking good linemen i think you would have to add garrett arms just a thught. and i think if you went on a great looking future you would have to add josh hess he should i think end up d1. heard he was up to 6 7 around 295. thats a nice fram for a coach to build on. anyone remember a kid that nobody was impressed with until he went to tech and they put some work to him think his first name was bruce (smith).

Eddie Hall from Graham was all the talk at Tech (came in around the same time as Bruce Smith) before he got hurt.... I'm certain he would've had an outstanding career there, if he hadn't gotten hurt. He was truly a man among boys.

countryboy said:
not sure you could get ten players for twin valley, but here are some of the best......britt coleman, brandon helton, derek keen, wyatt justice, garrett horne.....all these guys are running backs lol...never had any great quarterbacks, and had a few good linemen but none that i can think of that would be on this list

Brit and Brandon both carried bad teams to the playoffs on their backs.

Ahmad Bradshaw, H.T. Mathews, Eddie Neel, Rick Brown, Eddie Hall, Mark Cundiff, Bill Dudley, Marcus Latimer, Mike Mullins, Chris Patton

Others receiving votes: Danny Rusniak, Tony Palmer, Brian Denham, JoJo Jenkins, Milton Byard, Jacob Dews, Kimbo Spencer

also need to include in this group is mike patton qb during the 89 title team i think.

Got have JK Perkins in there as well as the Stiltner kid who was a bruising running back in the early 70's.

don't know the Stiltner kid, and I played at the same time JK did...he was good, but I wouldn't put him in all time greatness. Top 50...yeah...maybe. There were others on that team I dreaded dealing with more than him.

I'm not remotely qualified to chime in much on a Beaver post, but I feel compelled to mention Cortez Martin -- he was a man among boys back in the mid '80s.

How could I forget Cortez. Definately worthy of been on that list as well.

Guest lookoutmountain

I'm ranking this on how good they were in High School, not how well they went on to do.

1. Don Danko-RB-Graham 1950's-60's, first team All America, Univ of Kentucky after HS.

2. Ahmad Bradhsaw-RB- Hon Mention All American, Marshall, NY Giants RB

3. Chuck Perdue-LB- late 60's/early 70's. Captain of VT's defense in 1974.

4. Rusty Fife- Received some honorable mention All American Honors, went on to VT-RB

5. Bill Dudley- Obviously, he later did better than the rest, but only an All-State caliber player his junior and senior years at Graham. He was awesome, but you wouldnot have thought he would be the NFL Hall of fame, nor a Div 1 starter by the looks of him in High School.

6. Eddy Hall- full schollly at VT and in starting LB consideration during first year. Broke a vertebrae in his neck in practice and never played football again.

7. Eddy Neal- Amazing QB and Defensive Secondary guy. Went on to Virginia Tech.

8. Mike Mullins- solid OL guy, started at UVA on the line.

9. Terry Hall- Eddies Brother. Absolutely vicious LB in the mid/late 70's at Graham. Didn't have his head on straight or he would have gone major Div 1. He later became a police officer in Virginia Beach, then a businessman, and is doing very well today.

10. Tossup for 10th between the following players....

A. Chris Austin- played some arena league ball on the line, Solid lineman

B. Tony Young- arguably the most gifted lineman to ever play at Graham. Add 3 inches to him and he was major Div 1. Known for outplaying Mike Compton when Tony was a soph.

C. Tony Palmer- excellent two way player at RB and DB. Played JUCO in South Carolina. Could have played Div 1, but like so many other players back before the internet, they often got missed due to being in the mountains and far away from the bigtime sports media.

D. Brandon Banks- very similar to Tony Palmer in skill. Played RB and in the secondary.

E. Chris Patton- Add 6 inches to Chris Patton and he was major Div 1. Absolutely vicious LB.

F. Danny Atkins- RB, All State, bruising powerful runner.

G. Sugar Ray Graves- All State, solid Div 1 player if he would have had the grades.

H. Ricky Brown- excellent two way player and kicker.

I. Lance Barber- likely the most underrated player to ever play on Carlock's defenses. Solid LB.

J. Brent Surface- Had a bit of nagging injuries that may have hurt his college prospects. Super athlete with incredible speed. Solid runningback.

Guest lookoutmountain

This guy was as bad as they come for his size. He was one heck of a defensive back. I will never forget Johnny Knuckles. Also, Adam Laland was a solid player.

Guest lookoutmountain

Stiltner was a first team All State RB and LB on Grundy's 1970 team.

Guest lookoutmountain

Brother, you must be a youngster at Bluefield. You truly have no idea of how great some of your legends were. Only Yubrenal and Simms belong in the top 10 list at Bluefield. You had guys like Gutyon, Williams, Bains, and many others go on to MAJOR Div 1 schools and start from the 50's, 60's, and 70's.