Best Football Article of the Year!

Falconman

Love this:

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/sep/02/history-hayes-playing-gridiron-name-game-ar-1280527/

Favorite Quote: September 2, 1988

… Abingdon running back Kenny Taylor (127 yards, two touchdowns) shined in the Falcons’ 13-7 defeat of Richlands. … Clintwood downed Haysi, 20-7, thanks to 98 rushing yards and two TDs from Brian Amos.:eek:

Love this:

http://www2.tricities.com/sports/2011/sep/02/history-hayes-playing-gridiron-name-game-ar-1280527/

Favorite Quote: September 2, 1988

… Abingdon running back Kenny Taylor (127 yards, two touchdowns) shined in the Falcons’ 13-7 defeat of Richlands. … Clintwood downed Haysi, 20-7, thanks to 98 rushing yards and two TDs from Brian Amos.:eek:

Now Falcongirl, that's just sad...........you have to go back that far to find something about football to be happy about ! Maybe it wont be another 23 years before you can find another article you can be proud of.....

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Funny thing about history is it tends to repeat itself!!

Very true....year after year the Blues are solid while the birds struggle. History repeats itself year after year after year.....well you know..

Now Falcongirl, that's just sad...........you have to go back that far to find something about football to be happy about ! Maybe it wont be another 23 years before you can find another article you can be proud of.....

even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. and if you go far enough back in history you could find the worst team in any league defeating one of the best in that league at some point in history.

Not saying a lot about the Blues then. The year before they were ousted in the playoffs by VA High. Yeah I know what you are going to say before you say it. Officiating cost em that game. I don't disagree with you over that bad call at all. Didn't they have some D 1 players on that team too. Chad King? Until Vaught's arrival, they were never perennial winners, were they?

Not saying a lot about the Blues then. The year before they were ousted in the playoffs by VA High. Yeah I know what you are going to say before you say it. Officiating cost em that game. I don't disagree with you over that bad call at all. Didn't they have some D 1 players on that team too. Chad King? Until Vaught's arrival, they were never perennial winners, were they?

There were bad calls both ways in that game. V-High muffed a punt, we returned for a TD, should have been blown dead were we recovered it. The call with Chad, yes I thought he was in, I was on a pass pattern myself, right behind him in the endzone. But, I won't blame anything on the officiating that day, should have never went to overtime, I believe V-High should have won in regulation.

I believe Chad was the only one that went D1, he played at VT. Doug Addison went on the play college ball at Lees-McRae and Concord. I think those were the only two that played any college football.

There were bad calls both ways in that game. V-High muffed a punt, we returned for a TD, should have been blown dead were we recovered it. The call with Chad, yes I thought he was in, I was on a pass pattern myself, right behind him in the endzone. But, I won't blame anything on the officiating that day, should have never went to overtime, I believe V-High should have won in regulation.

I believe Chad was the only one that went D1, he played at VT. Doug Addison went on the play college ball at Lees-McRae and Concord. I think those were the only two that played any college football.

That team was our junior year. Our classmates Chad and Doug were the only college ballers from our class. But that team included Compton and Adam Lallande (who played a season for the prep team at the Air Force Academy).

That team was our junior year. Our classmates Chad and Doug were the only college ballers from our class. But that team included Compton and Adam Lallande (who played a season for the prep team at the Air Force Academy).

Yeah Alum, I didn't know if we were talking about the team that lost to Abingdon, or the team that lost to V-High. I tend to try to forget about that senior year team.......

Forgive me for replying non-sequentially here, but....

IMO, before Vaught's arrival the Blues could probably best be described as inconsistent. We were generally competitive on any given night, but that was never apparent in the W/L column. The tenure of Billy Haun (Vaught's immediate predecessor) is a prime example. In four years, he went 8-3, 1-9, 2-8, and 4-6. Before him, Bruce Evans pretty much broke even (a record of 26-23-1 in five seasons). And Todd Heldreth's record from 1979-1981 was a lot like Haun's (6-4, 2-8, 1-9). Mostly, the highlights were big wins in the course of otherwise mediocre seasons (31-28 over Gate City in 1979, 35-14 over Tazewell in '84, and 33-7 over Bluefield in 1985).

Yeah Alum, I didn't know if we were talking about the team that lost to Abingdon, or the team that lost to V-High. I tend to try to forget about that senior year team.......

A little confused myself. Although I'm still convinced that ours was the very best 1-9 team in school history. (Maybe we should buy some kind of commemorative banner for display at Ernie or something.)

Gman, funny thing is, the only team we beat that year was Graham.

I remember that awful game, 6-3. That was early in a six game stretch that saw Graham score a total of 16 points (3,6,7) and be shutout three times.

Graham had been decimated by injuries and literally had a JV team playing that season...Coach Carlock decided to "build for the future". It paid off the next season with a State Championship and an undefeated regular season in '90.

even a blind squirrel finds a nut now and then. and if you go far enough back in history you could find the worst team in any league defeating one of the best in that league at some point in history.

Like back in the 80s when John Battle beat Richlands one year

Like back in the 80s when John Battle beat Richlands one year

We also beat Gate City in the late '80s and Tennessee High in '79 (last year they played us, my dad was on that JSB team....you know, since we're talking about daddy's glory days and all, lol).

I love your posts.You must be a lot like Bagdad Bob- the idiot who kept telling the Iraqi populace that there was no military threat to Iraq even as one of their patrols reported that the whole damn America Army was at the Bagdad Airport.Comical .