Graham@Richlands

Nadoball

Don't think you will see Devon running the ball this week either, for that matter don't think you will see him on D that much. We have alot of growing to do especially on D. Correct me if Im wrong but dont we have around 8 underclassmen on D. Personally I think the Pulaski game will be very tough, they played Northside to within 8 points this weekend and Northside is one of the favorites to see playing in december.

I'm not sure I'm buying into Pulaski just yet. Northside spent at least 6 hours on the bus in holiday and Tech traffic Friday and Saturday before finally playing the game in 90 degree + on Saturday.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Richlands should win this game fairly easily, and I don't think you have to worry about Mance running up the score on Graham. He has shown that he has more class than that. He will play his 1st team as long as he feels he needs to to get them ready for the next game. I doubt we will see D-Johnson play very much, if at all. I think right now Devon just needs to trust that his knee is ok so Mance might play him some to try to get him to trust it.

Coach Mance wouldn't try to pay Graham back, that's just not his style, but also it's a different staff & players at Graham so what would be the point ?

I just hope both teams come out of the game healthy.

I think Graham has the right guy to get them back to a team that will compete for district championships and playoff spots. just needs a year or 2 to get his kids use to his system.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

Well Coach Mance has shown for a long time, he will not run the score up. I think our backups & JV guys had almost as much game time as the starters last year, Take a look back at last year's game vs PV, We were up 42-0 early in the 2nd Qtr and the JV and backups played the rest of the game. Final 42-20. Respect for Coach Robbins which was gonna retire at the end of the year. I remember back in the 80's & 90's PV didn't care at all to run the score up on their district opponents.........

PV didn't care to run the score up on non district opponents either...

Was this 2001, by chance? I do remember much whining after Bradshaw broke a 60+ yard TD run up the middle of a 14-0 game to make a 21-0 final.

They were up 14-0 with a little over a minute left when a hb pass for a touchdown made it 21-0

They were up 14-0 with a little over a minute left when a hb pass for a touchdown made it 21-0

Just to be clear, it was about a 3 yard td pass. It wasn't like they did it to run up the score. They were working on a play for later in the season which they used against liberty. Geez, it was 15-0, its not like it was 47-0 when they did it.

I very clearly remember that play leading up to that being a long HB give that was designed for the exact purpose of running out the clock, but I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened.

But seriously, it was 14-0. Even if it was a HB pass, why not try a play that could put the game on ice? If Graham had committed a turnover there, Richlands could've scored with enough time left to try an onside kick and tie the game, possibly even win it. Remember, as good as that '01 Graham team was, it had a tendency to melt down in close games.

Plus, this happened 10 years ago. To put that in perspective, I was a junior in high school then, and I have a law degree now. To still hold hard feelings like this is like Bill Gates being upset because a light bulb burned out. Since that night, Richlands has won a state title, went to umpteen state title games, and racked up as many undefeated regular seasons as Graham has ever had. All that, and some of you are still sore about a 21-0 game? You guys routinely beat the bejeezus out of teams, and that 2001 game is a sore spot?

Snap the heck back into reality...

I very clearly remember that play leading up to that being a long HB give that was designed for the exact purpose of running out the clock, but I could be wrong. Stranger things have happened.

But seriously, it was 14-0. Even if it was a HB pass, why not try a play that could put the game on ice? If Graham had committed a turnover there, Richlands could've scored with enough time left to try an onside kick and tie the game, possibly even win it. Remember, as good as that '01 Graham team was, it had a tendency to melt down in close games.

Plus, this happened 10 years ago. To put that in perspective, I was a junior in high school then, and I have a law degree now. To still hold hard feelings like this is like Bill Gates being upset because a light bulb burned out. Since that night, Richlands has won a state title, went to umpteen state title games, and racked up as many undefeated regular seasons as Graham has ever had. All that, and some of you are still sore about a 21-0 game? You guys routinely beat the bejeezus out of teams, and that 2001 game is a sore spot?

I would have to agree. I'll also add that at 14-0 with even only a minute left, stranger things have happened. Fumble recovery or interception and a quick TD, onside kick and another quick TD ties the game. It has happened over the years in both high school and college games. Adding a TD with a minute left only up 14 points is not running up the score, it's sealing the victory.

I would have to agree. I'll also add that at 14-0 with even only a minute left, stranger things have happened. Fumble recovery or interception and a quick TD, onside kick and another quick TD ties the game. It has happened over the years in both high school and college games. Adding a TD with a minute left only up 14 points is not running up the score, it's sealing the victory.

all you have to do is look this past weekend with auburn game they were down 10 with about 2 or 3 min to go drove down field scored. onside kick. recovered by auburn. drove down field scored td went up 4 with 30 sec to go in game so a lead of 14 is not safe even with a min to go in any game.and my self do not think it was running up the score in that game.

all you have to do is look this past weekend with auburn game they were down 10 with about 2 or 3 min to go drove down field scored. onside kick. recovered by auburn. drove down field scored td went up 4 with 30 sec to go in game so a lead of 14 is not safe even with a min to go in any game.and my self do not think it was running up the score in that game.

^^^^^^^^^^^

This

Wasn't trying to piss in anybody's cheerios, just clearing up a situation. No need for me to snap back into reality, that's why I quit drinking.

I don't think many will be making the trip from Bluefield to see this one. Somebody tell me how the band looks....give the football team 2 more years and they'll be competitive.

They've been a perennielly young team the past few years....meaning a lot of them have quit or transferred before becoming juniors or seniors. I don't expect that trend to continue with the new coaching staff. The kids seem to like playing for these guys and the kids need to be patient, too. They are young and if they stick together, all of their hard work will pay off in the long run.

Graham's band is still awesome.!!

Don't think you will see Devon running the ball this week either, for that matter don't think you will see him on D that much. We have alot of growing to do especially on D. Correct me if Im wrong but dont we have around 8 underclassmen on D. Personally I think the Pulaski game will be very tough, they played Northside to within 8 points this weekend and Northside is one of the favorites to see playing in december.

I agree totally. We have a lot of growing to do and I think we must get better to beat Pulaski county. Devon does not need to play if not 100%. We should be able to handle the G-men. Just taking a chance on loosing him for the year. Our defense is young and will get better the more games they get in. I hope we are ready for Pulaski county as this is a big oportunity for us to show the rest of the State what we have this year. Its also a chance for us to see what we have for the guys out that way as well.

We definitely missed Devon last week--made the game closer--but AJ, with his play, sure made the injury to big brother easier to swallow-- is coming on as a playmaker on both sides of the ball--glad to see.

Life has many choices---eternity two

#37 Horton was as big a loss on D as Devon was on the O.

Horton is a bigger loss on D then most people know. He's a heck of a player and a hard hitter and we sure missed him last week on stopping the run. Hope he is back as soon as possible at least for next week. Also hope that Devon is 100% by next week. We will need to be as healthy as we can be to get a win over Pulaski Co.

But first things first.........this week we still need to take Graham serious and get our 3rd win ! They have some good athletes and some speed, but I think we have a "big" advantage on both sides of the line and that is what will make a huge difference in this game.

Edited by Bigrhsfan

first off coach mance is a class act. second he will not overlook graham nor will he let his players either. richlands will win tonight but i dont think it will be by 40,this team is not built that way it is a more run than pass. personnaly i don't like that everybody thinks that just because a team is from up north that they are better than the talent that richlands faces every week right here in swva. bring on p.c. i look forward to the challenge. personnaly don't think p.c. is any better than the union team we faced last week. As long as richlands holds on to the rock we will be fine against p.c.. The blues will be ready for graham tonight then we will set our sites on p.c. take one game at a time.

first off coach mance is a class act. second he will not overlook graham nor will he let his players either. richlands will win tonight but i dont think it will be by 40,this team is not built that way it is a more run than pass. personnaly i don't like that everybody thinks that just because a team is from up north that they are better than the talent that richlands faces every week right here in swva. bring on p.c. i look forward to the challenge. personnaly don't think p.c. is any better than the union team we faced last week. As long as richlands holds on to the rock we will be fine against p.c.. The blues will be ready for graham tonight then we will set our sites on p.c. take one game at a time.

Agree with what you said about the competition around here. It's gotten us pretty good results so far. And I don't think anybody from Richlands is looking past Graham.......especially after what happen in 07.

Richlands is a good running team with a big line, but so far we have used the spread way more then the I or any other running formation. Granted, part of the reason for that is probably because Devon is not 100%.

But even when he was healthy for part of the first qtr against GC we came out throwing the ball. That's who Richlands has been for a few years now.

We run the spread much more than we run the I.

I think we will eventually run more once everybody is back healthy and the weather turns...........I think.....lol !

Most likely ... Richlands will score early, and often, and by halftime there will be no doubt who wins this one. However, I just hope that Graham does more than show up. I hope the G-Men play hard and look respectable. The Graham kids are building confidence and still face a tough AA schedule before the district play begins. The Roanoke Times had Galax winning the MED, followed by Grayson County and then Graham. Obviously, everything is new to the Graham football program and I sure would like to see GHS win the district title and obtain enough points to squeeze into the new playoff system at the season's end. Making it into the playoffs this year would be HUGE for the Graham program and certainly a building block for the years to come. Graham is on the way back and I still urge the Virginia side fans to use patience. I talked to several folks from Bluefield last weekend and they were bragging on the team coming from behind to beat Tazewell. This excitement is something that I have no witnessed in the past years at GHS. It was certainly good to hear and hopefully it will continue. Good luck to the G-Men!

Most likely ... Richlands will score early, and often, and by halftime there will be no doubt who wins this one. However, I just hope that Graham does more than show up. I hope the G-Men play hard and look respectable. The Graham kids are building confidence and still face a tough AA schedule before the district play begins. The Roanoke Times had Galax winning the MED, followed by Grayson County and then Graham. Obviously, everything is new to the Graham football program and I sure would like to see GHS win the district title and obtain enough points to squeeze into the new playoff system at the season's end. Making it into the playoffs this year would be HUGE for the Graham program and certainly a building block for the years to come. Graham is on the way back and I still urge the Virginia side fans to use patience. I talked to several folks from Bluefield last weekend and they were bragging on the team coming from behind to beat Tazewell. This excitement is something that I have no witnessed in the past years at GHS. It was certainly good to hear and hopefully it will continue. Good luck to the G-Men!

I don't see Graham winning the MED...I see it pretty much the way the paper sees it...Galax...Grayson...then maybe...and that's a a big maybe....Graham. They are young and still working on fundamentals that haven't been taught in a few years....Give them 2 or 3 years, then they may compete for the MED title... A 3rd place finish would be a good start this year.