Ever have a "holy $hit" moment???

GMan

After work this evening, I decided to go out to the in-laws farm to check on my deer food plots that I had planted back in August plus do a little scouting for the upcoming deer season. Food plots looked really good, saw a 4-point buck and spooked another in the woods (only saw the white tail as it ran through the woods in the opposite direction), plus saw lots of scrapes, a couple fresh.

Came home, called the in-laws to tell them that I had been at the farm just in case someone tells them they saw somebody on their property.

Anyway, father-in-law asks me if I took a gun with me, I said "no, I was only checking things out and didn't plan on being there too long". He then asks, "well did you see any bears?" I answered "no, why?"

He said he had seen a very large one down near my lower food plot earlier today...

Next time, I'm taking my .357, at least...maybe even my 30-06...

After work this evening, I decided to go out to the in-laws farm to check on my deer food plots that I had planted back in August plus do a little scouting for the upcoming deer season. Food plots looked really good, saw a 4-point buck and spooked another in the woods (only saw the white tail as it ran through the woods in the opposite direction), plus saw lots of fresh scrapes.

Came home, called the in-laws to tell them that I had been at the farm just in case someone tells them they saw somebody on their property.

Anyway, father-in-law asks me if I took a gun with me, I said "no, I was only checking things out and didn't plan on being there too long". He then asks, "well did you see any bears?" I answered "no, why?"

He said he had seen a very large one down near my lower food plot earlier today...

Next time, I'm taking my .357, at least...maybe even my 30-06...

My father-in-law just saw a large one come off my property (my side yard) and run across the road in front of him last week.

I was driving past the Brushfork Armory tonight around 10:30 and there was a mother bear and 2 cubs in the road. Pretty dark through there and I was almost on them before you could see them. I came to a complete stop before they ran off.

Years ago, I was at my grandparents' house and we were watching a live story on the news about a bear that escaped from Bays Mountain (or some place that has bears) and after a while the area the bear was going through started looking familiar. That's when we saw my grandparents' house on the tv! The bear was walking right through the front yard as we were watching it all on the news.

Feller told me a story once about him and his buddy fishing on Levisa below Harman.

A humongus Black Bear came charging after them and they broke to run, His buddy looked at him and said" Aint no way were gonna out run this Bear and he looked at his buddy and said"Only thing I got to out run is you"...

a few years back, the game warden had to come and capture one at my parents house. The thing was coming around each day and destroying things. They set up a large drainpipe cage with bars welded on each end, hooked up a large ham in the back, the bear went in and SLAM! The door shut, trapping him inside, then the fun really started...........the bear went berserk, the cage started rolling, he wore himself out, they came, tranquilized the thing and dropped it off near GMANS food plot.

All kidding aside, they told us that they would relocate the bear to Bland County........

I've only seen 1 wild bear in my life, and it wasn't even a frontal view. I feel robbed...

Just go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, TN. Seems like every time I go there, there's a black bear strolling down the street. We even had to take shelter in a hotel once while we were walking down Gatlinburg because a bear suddenly showed up across the street. Strangely, everyone was so nonchalant about it.

a few years back, the game warden had to come and capture one at my parents house. The thing was coming around each day and destroying things. They set up a large drainpipe cage with bars welded on each end, hooked up a large ham in the back, the bear went in and SLAM! The door shut, trapping him inside, then the fun really started...........the bear went berserk, the cage started rolling, he wore himself out, they came, tranquilized the thing and dropped it off near GMANS food plot.

All kidding aside, they told us that they would relocate the bear to Bland County........

He now plays for Bland. A great run blocker and a beast on the blitz.

Had to comment on this.... A few years ago while working for Norfolk Southern Railroad, we were bringing a train off the mountain in Appalachia. I dropped off the engine as the train rolled by. Its hard to hear anything with a train moving right infront of you but as I counted down the engineer to the last car so he could stop I kept hearing a noise in the trees back behind me. After the train stopped the noise was pretty close to me. As I turned around there was a huge black bear shaking a tree about 5 ft behind me. Let me tell you, I broke the world record for climbing a rail car. I was 100 cars back which is 1 mile from the engine, back in the mountains with a pissed off bear.

Just go to Gatlinburg or Pigeon Forge, TN. Seems like every time I go there, there's a black bear strolling down the street. We even had to take shelter in a hotel once while we were walking down Gatlinburg because a bear suddenly showed up across the street. Strangely, everyone was so nonchalant about it.

Went there, and saw HUNDREDS of deer but no bear. I am snakebitten when it comes to bear.

tranquilized the thing and dropped it off near GMANS food plot.

Could have been the one...Bland Co. is just over the big hill with the hole in it from my food plots...

i was driving across the mountain on T.R. Barrett road and topped over the one part you couldn't see the other side, and when i did there was a huge black bear standing in the road. I came about 5 yards from hitting it. I layed on the horn and it moved enough for me to drive by.

All I could think about is, what if I had hit the bear going as fast as I was going, and it totaled my truck, but didn't kill the bear? That would be one pissed off bear.

Saw one yesterday come down from the East River Soccer complex, cross the road and went into the woods. Looked to be a decent sized cub. I didn't see a momma or any other cubs.

That's in the "neighborhood" of the in-laws farm...